From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Cyclists, eh? Want more room, and when they get it, complain about
it!
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 16:37:55 +0000
 by: Spike - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 16:37 UTC

>> road.cc reader Lew told us it "happened last month on my commute to work", just inside the Warwickshire County border with Leicestershire, close to the M69 approaching the village of Wolvey.

> "The climb I am on has a solid white line as it approaches the brow of the hill because there is a junction on the left and the road starts to descend again after the junction. It is a 50mph road but I can climb it at around 15mph. Two drivers cross the white line to pass me. The first driver doesn't put anyone at risk but the second driver forces the oncoming driver to move to the edge of his lane to avoid a crash.

> Taking the footage to the driver's employer the road.cc reader was disappointed to eventually hear back from a Technician Network Manager, only to say:

> I identified the driver from your video evidence and I’ve spoken to him backed up by an email, asking him to follow the law of the land and be courteous to other road users. He is sorry that he has caused distress.

> <https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-730-290909>

129
Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you
MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter
adjoining premises or a side road.
*You may cross the line* if necessary, provided the road is clear, to
pass a stationary vehicle, or *overtake a pedal cycle*, horse or road
maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26

<https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/lines-and-lane-markings-on-the-road.html>

Cyclists, eh? Want more room, especially at >30mph, and when they get
it, complain about it!

--
Spike

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Cyclists, eh? Want more room, and when they get it, complain about it!