"Seed me, Seymour" -- a random number generator meets the big green mother from outer space

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians at risk

SubjectAuthor
* Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians at riskSpike
+* Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians atJNugent
|`* Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians atPeter Keller
| +* Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians atSpike
| |`* Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians atPeter Keller
| | `* Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians atSpike
| |  `* Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians atPeter Keller
| |   `* Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians atSpike
| |    `* Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians atPeter Keller
| |     `* Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians atJNugent
| |      `- Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians atPeter Keller
| `* Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians atJNugent
|  `- Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians atPeter Keller
`- Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians at riskMike Collins

1
Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians at risk

<j8rkj7Fkg3nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6676&group=uk.rec.cycling#6676

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians at risk
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 12:24:08 +0000
 by: Spike - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 12:24 UTC

"Speeding cyclists on rural roads in the New Forest are putting
residents and other pedestrians at risk, simply because they cannot be
bothered to fit a bell on their bikes so that they can warn pedestrians
of their approach," Lewis told the House.

<https://road.cc/content/news/government-rejects-calls-mandatory-cycling-bells-290911>

--
Spike

Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians at risk

<j8rrcmFln9fU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6677&group=uk.rec.cycling#6677

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians at
risk
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 14:20:07 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 14:20 UTC

On 09/03/2022 12:24 pm, Spike wrote:

> "Speeding cyclists on rural roads in the New Forest are putting
> residents and other pedestrians at risk, simply because they cannot be
> bothered to fit a bell on their bikes so that they can warn pedestrians
> of their approach," Lewis told the House.
>
> <https://road.cc/content/news/government-rejects-calls-mandatory-cycling-bells-290911>

For most fairy-cyclists, having a bell fitted to their fairy-bike is an
indignity, a bit like wearing a helmet or obeying the rules of the road.

In their own minds, they're too kewl to to behave properly and lawfully.

Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians at risk

<t0cfue$tkj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6688&group=uk.rec.cycling#6688

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
risk
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 22:21:18 +1300
 by: Peter Keller - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 09:21 UTC

On 10/03/22 03:20, JNugent wrote:
> On 09/03/2022 12:24 pm, Spike wrote:
>>
>> "Speeding cyclists on rural roads in the New Forest are putting
>> residents and other pedestrians at risk, simply because they cannot be
>> bothered to fit a bell on their bikes so that they can warn pedestrians
>> of their approach," Lewis told the House.
>>
>> <https://road.cc/content/news/government-rejects-calls-mandatory-cycling-bells-290911>
>>

> For most fairy-cyclists, having a bell fitted to their fairy-bike is an
> indignity, a bit like wearing a helmet or obeying the rules of the road.
>
> In their own minds, they're too kewl to to behave properly and lawfully.

Two out of three ain't bad?

Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians at risk

<j8tvo1F3it7U6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6694&group=uk.rec.cycling#6694

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
risk
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 09:46:42 +0000
 by: Spike - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 09:46 UTC

On 10/03/2022 09:21, Peter Keller wrote:
> On 10/03/22 03:20, JNugent wrote:
>> On 09/03/2022 12:24 pm, Spike wrote:

>>> "Speeding cyclists on rural roads in the New Forest are putting
>>> residents and other pedestrians at risk, simply because they cannot be
>>> bothered to fit a bell on their bikes so that they can warn pedestrians
>>> of their approach," Lewis told the House.

>>> <https://road.cc/content/news/government-rejects-calls-mandatory-cycling-bells-290911>

>> For most fairy-cyclists, having a bell fitted to their fairy-bike is an
>> indignity, a bit like wearing a helmet or obeying the rules of the road.

>> In their own minds, they're too kewl to to behave properly and lawfully.

> Two out of three ain't bad?

Except for the dead pedestrian...

--
Spike

Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians at risk

<j8ucp7F66e1U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6704&group=uk.rec.cycling#6704

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
risk
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 13:29:12 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 13:29 UTC

On 10/03/2022 09:21 am, Peter Keller wrote:
> On 10/03/22 03:20, JNugent wrote:
>> On 09/03/2022 12:24 pm, Spike wrote:
>>>
>>> "Speeding cyclists on rural roads in the New Forest are putting
>>> residents and other pedestrians at risk, simply because they cannot be
>>> bothered to fit a bell on their bikes so that they can warn pedestrians
>>> of their approach," Lewis told the House.
>>>
>>> <https://road.cc/content/news/government-rejects-calls-mandatory-cycling-bells-290911>
>>>

>> For most fairy-cyclists, having a bell fitted to their fairy-bike is an
>> indignity, a bit like wearing a helmet or obeying the rules of the road.
>>
>> In their own minds, they're too kewl to to behave properly and lawfully.
>
> Two out of three ain't bad?

;-)

It does seem to be more than one can realistically hope for.

Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians at risk

<t0f4du$kai$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6731&group=uk.rec.cycling#6731

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
risk
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 22:23:10 +1300
 by: Peter Keller - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 09:23 UTC

On 10/03/22 22:46, Spike wrote:
> Except for the dead pedestrian...

Prove that I killed a pedestrian then denounce me to the police.

Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians at risk

<t0f4fq$kai$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6732&group=uk.rec.cycling#6732

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
risk
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 22:24:10 +1300
 by: Peter Keller - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 09:24 UTC

On 11/03/22 02:29, JNugent wrote:
> On 10/03/2022 09:21 am, Peter Keller wrote:

>>> For most fairy-cyclists, having a bell fitted to their fairy-bike is an
>>> indignity, a bit like wearing a helmet or obeying the rules of the road.
>>>
>>> In their own minds, they're too kewl to to behave properly and lawfully.
>>
>> Two out of three ain't bad?
>
> ;-)
>
> It does seem to be more than one can realistically hope for.

Unfortunately.
Sometimes I think I am unreal.

Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians at risk

<j90j9gFiugvU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6735&group=uk.rec.cycling#6735

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
risk
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 09:32:34 +0000
 by: Spike - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 09:32 UTC

On 11/03/2022 09:23, Peter Keller wrote:
> On 10/03/22 22:46, Spike wrote:

>> Except for the dead pedestrian...

> Prove that I killed a pedestrian then denounce me to the police.

You're arguing from the general to the particular, again.

--
Spike

Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians at risk

<286585f4-17da-41a0-b055-b49444817a71n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6736&group=uk.rec.cycling#6736

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 01:34:28 -0800 (PST)
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 09:34 UTC

On Wednesday, 9 March 2022 at 12:24:12 UTC, Spike wrote:
> "Speeding cyclists on rural roads in the New Forest are putting
> residents and other pedestrians at risk, simply because they cannot be
> bothered to fit a bell on their bikes so that they can warn pedestrians
> of their approach," Lewis told the House.
>
> <https://road.cc/content/news/government-rejects-calls-mandatory-cycling-bells-290911>
>
> --
> Spike

Mandatory pedestrian helmets will eliminate this 'risk'.

Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians at risk

<t0hnko$8f0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6781&group=uk.rec.cycling#6781

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
risk
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 22:03:19 +1300
 by: Peter Keller - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 09:03 UTC

On 11/03/22 22:32, Spike wrote:
> On 11/03/2022 09:23, Peter Keller wrote:
>> On 10/03/22 22:46, Spike wrote:
>
>>> Except for the dead pedestrian...
>
>> Prove that I killed a pedestrian then denounce me to the police.
>
> You're arguing from the general to the particular, again.

I live in the particular. My personal lifetime chance of being killed
while riding a bike is low enough so as to not stop me using a
delightful exhilarating very pleasant economical social healthy means of
transport.

After all I ride a bicycle, a very convenient delightful economical
viable means of transport, and we all know that YOU think bicyclists are
the fuckwitted pits of humanity.
I really feel complimented by that, because YOU said it.

Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians at risk

<j93787F3sthU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6782&group=uk.rec.cycling#6782

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
risk
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 09:25:30 +0000
 by: Spike - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 09:25 UTC

On 12/03/2022 09:03, Peter Keller wrote:
> On 11/03/22 22:32, Spike wrote:

>>> Prove that I killed a pedestrian then denounce me to the police.

>> You're arguing from the general to the particular, again.

> I live in the particular. My personal lifetime chance of being killed
> while riding a bike is low enough so as to not stop me using a
> delightful exhilarating very pleasant economical social healthy means of
> transport.

> After all I ride a bicycle, a very convenient delightful economical
> viable means of transport, and we all know that YOU think bicyclists are
> the fuckwitted pits of humanity.

I usually use the phrase 'lycra louts', so I'd be surprised if you could
find a post of mine where I used the phrase "fuckwitted pits of humanity".

> I really feel complimented by that, because YOU said it.

Over to you.

--
Spike

Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians at risk

<t0kcl8$hi4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6811&group=uk.rec.cycling#6811

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
risk
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 22:14:16 +1300
 by: Peter Keller - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 09:14 UTC

On 12/03/22 22:25, Spike wrote:
> On 12/03/2022 09:03, Peter Keller wrote:

>>> You're arguing from the general to the particular, again.
>
>> I live in the particular. My personal lifetime chance of being killed
>> while riding a bike is low enough so as to not stop me using a
>> delightful exhilarating very pleasant economical social healthy means of
>> transport.
>
>> After all I ride a bicycle, a very convenient delightful economical
>> viable means of transport, and we all know that YOU think bicyclists are
>> the fuckwitted pits of humanity.
>
> I usually use the phrase 'lycra louts', so I'd be surprised if you could
> find a post of mine where I used the phrase "fuckwitted pits of humanity".
>
>> I really feel complimented by that, because YOU said it.
>
> Over to you.

What is lycra?

Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians at risk

<j96cr5Fmca4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6820&group=uk.rec.cycling#6820

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
risk
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 14:19:19 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 14:19 UTC

On 13/03/2022 09:14 am, Peter Keller wrote:

> On 12/03/22 22:25, Spike wrote:

>>> I live in the particular. My personal lifetime chance of being killed
>>> while riding a bike is low enough so as to not stop me using a
>>> delightful exhilarating very pleasant economical social healthy means of
>>> transport.
>
>>> After all I ride a bicycle, a very convenient delightful economical
>>> viable means of transport, and we all know that YOU think bicyclists are
>>> the fuckwitted pits of humanity.
>
>> I usually use the phrase 'lycra louts', so I'd be surprised if you could
>> find a post of mine where I used the phrase "fuckwitted pits of humanity".
>
>>> I really feel complimented by that, because YOU said it.
>
>> Over to you.
>
> What is lycra?

Good question. When I first encountered the word (possibly here, some
years ago now), I had to look it up, it then being completely outside my
experience (it still is) or knowledge (not now, though).

<Google>

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spandex>

It is apparently a brand-name for a synthetic fabric known for its
exceptional elasticity. It is known by other brand-names, including
"Spandex".

Widen the search to the commonly-used phrase "Lycra Lout" and you get:

<https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/lycra-lout

QUOTE:
Lycra lout
in British English
NOUN
British informal
an aggressive urban cyclist who disregards the rules of the road
Collins English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers
Word origin
C21: from the Lycra (trademark) cycling clothes worn by many cyclists
ENDQUOTE

Obviously, no-one sensible is going to argue with that.

Re: Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians at risk

<t0n0s1$c0e$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6856&group=uk.rec.cycling#6856

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
risk
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 22:11:28 +1300
 by: Peter Keller - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 09:11 UTC

On 14/03/22 03:19, JNugent wrote:
> On 13/03/2022 09:14 am, Peter Keller wrote:

>>> I usually use the phrase 'lycra louts', so I'd be surprised if you could
>>> find a post of mine where I used the phrase "fuckwitted pits of
>>> humanity".

>>> Over to you.
>>
>> What is lycra?
>
> Good question. When I first encountered the word (possibly here, some
> years ago now), I had to look it up, it then being completely outside my
> experience (it still is) or knowledge (not now, though).
>
> <Google>
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spandex>
>
> It is apparently a brand-name for a synthetic fabric known for its
> exceptional elasticity. It is  known by other brand-names, including
> "Spandex".
>
> Widen the search to the commonly-used phrase "Lycra Lout" and you get:
>
> <https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/lycra-lout
>
> QUOTE:
> Lycra lout
> in British English
> NOUN
> British informal
> an aggressive urban cyclist who disregards the rules of the road
> Collins English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers
> Word origin
> C21: from the Lycra (trademark) cycling clothes worn by many cyclists
> ENDQUOTE
>
> Obviously, no-one sensible is going to argue with that.

Yes. According to that definition I have never worn lycra.
So I had to go for another definition as to why Spike seems to hate all
bicyclists.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Speeding cyclists in the New Forest are putting pedestrians at risk