From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: That rings a bell...or not
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 12:13:02 +0000
 by: Spike - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 12:13 UTC

COMMENT

"There are other ways for people who cycle to warn other road users of
their presence."

All together now:
"GET OUT OF THE FUCKING WAY"
or the only slightly less inflammatory
"GET OUT OF THE WAY - I'M NOT STOPPING"

Both ended with a dead pedestrian

Cyclists only follow the Highway Code when it gives them an advantage,
otherwise it is widely flouted.

END COMMENT

The Conservative government has rejected calls for cyclists to be
required by law to fit and use a bell when riding a bicycle.

Trudy Harrison, the Parliamentary Under-Secretary rejected the idea on
behalf of the government.

"Rule 66 of The Highway Code recommends that bells are fitted to cycles,
and that people who cycle should always be considerate of other road
users, including by calling out or ringing their bell if they have one,"
she replied, "There are other ways for people who cycle to warn other
road users of their presence."

It is not the first time the issue of mandatory bells has been raised in
Parliament. In 2018, Conservative MP for New Forest East, Julian Lewis,
called for legislation, saying all cyclists should be obliged to have a
bell fitted to their bike.

Lewis accused riders of putting pedestrians at risk "because they can't
be bothered to fit a bell".

"Speeding (sic) cyclists on rural roads in the New Forest are putting
residents and other pedestrians at risk, simply because they cannot be
bothered to fit a bell on their bikes so that they can warn pedestrians
of their approach," Lewis told the House.

<https://road.cc/content/news/government-rejects-calls-mandatory-cycling-bells-290911>

--
Spike

Re: That rings a bell...or not

<j8rrhoFln9fU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6678&group=uk.rec.cycling#6678

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: That rings a bell...or not
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 14:22:49 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 14:22 UTC

On 09/03/2022 12:13 pm, Spike wrote:
> COMMENT
>
> "There are other ways for people who cycle to warn other road users of
> their presence."
>
> All together now:
> "GET OUT OF THE FUCKING WAY"
> or the only slightly less inflammatory
> "GET OUT OF THE WAY - I'M NOT STOPPING"
>
> Both ended with a dead pedestrian
>
> Cyclists only follow the Highway Code when it gives them an advantage,
> otherwise it is widely flouted.
>
> END COMMENT
>
> The Conservative government has rejected calls for cyclists to be
> required by law to fit and use a bell when riding a bicycle.
>
> Trudy Harrison, the Parliamentary Under-Secretary rejected the idea on
> behalf of the government.
>
> "Rule 66 of The Highway Code recommends that bells are fitted to cycles,
> and that people who cycle should always be considerate of other road
> users, including by calling out or ringing their bell if they have one,"
> she replied, "There are other ways for people who cycle to warn other
> road users of their presence."
>
> It is not the first time the issue of mandatory bells has been raised in
> Parliament. In 2018, Conservative MP for New Forest East, Julian Lewis,
> called for legislation, saying all cyclists should be obliged to have a
> bell fitted to their bike.

Surely it would be a better idea for them to have bells hung on a
lanyard around their necks?

There's historical precedent for it:

<https://tinyurl.com/4vm5fyjc>

> Lewis accused riders of putting pedestrians at risk "because they can't
> be bothered to fit a bell".
>
> "Speeding (sic) cyclists on rural roads in the New Forest are putting
> residents and other pedestrians at risk, simply because they cannot be
> bothered to fit a bell on their bikes so that they can warn pedestrians
> of their approach," Lewis told the House.
>
> <https://road.cc/content/news/government-rejects-calls-mandatory-cycling-bells-290911>

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: That rings a bell...or not