From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: e-Ticket slowness
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 07:35:19 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:FtZikQQGlplSjx9cdbUdwdK7AGs=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 07:35 UTC

I noticed one disadvantage of e-Tickets (ie ones held on a phone) that I
hadn’t considered before, on an EMR trip back from StP yesterday: it takes
the ticket inspector much longer to perform a ticket check on the train.
Her reader is basically a smartphone, so she had to line up her camera with
the passenger’s QR code. Then she asked to see the railcard, which
invariably seemed also to be phone based. So then much fumbling by the
passenger to display the electronic railcard. We had the conventional paper
based tickets, not through any dislike of e-tickets but because our ticket
included a zone 1-6 day tube ticket, and a plastic railcard. Our ticket
check took about two seconds.

Re: e-Ticket slowness

<uhiphm$2rgjk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66973&group=uk.railway#66973

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: e-Ticket slowness
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 10:59:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 10:59 UTC

On 28 Oct 2023 07:35:19 -0000 (UTC) Tweed wrote:
>I noticed one disadvantage of e-Tickets (ie ones held on a phone) that I
>hadn’t considered before, on an EMR trip back from StP yesterday: it takes
>the ticket inspector much longer to perform a ticket check on the train.
>Her reader is basically a smartphone, so she had to line up her camera with
>the passenger’s QR code. Then she asked to see the railcard, which
>invariably seemed also to be phone based. So then much fumbling by the
>passenger to display the electronic railcard. We had the conventional paper
>based tickets, not through any dislike of e-tickets but because our ticket
>included a zone 1-6 day tube ticket, and a plastic railcard. Our ticket
>check took about two seconds.

Are there technical or operational reasons why the e-ticket could not
include the railcard, so that both are displayed at once?
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: e-Ticket slowness

<uhiu8c$2ruec$1@cool110.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66975&group=uk.railway#66975

From: mar...@cool110.eternal-september.org (Mark Wane)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 12:19:24 -0000 (UTC)
2NStlYRWOy8h ISRYUk9t0wnzAAABz0lEQVQ4jX
2STW7jMAyFCST1elQH3ke6QG
_NmvK4wlNezELN2AEn3P0JJSUGQ aT3c+X3m45+A
igZ8D1r3QE3ZvoO4B7h6KRiY
_15eMtaWIznx7yAW4eZUtKODuOTxBETUmop4g4Nb0
LOB+MenWEgqEtVeOJ28QDW
_36/xMcORozIuLpszkAN/DGJPJsnZmqniDHupA39iM6a+3516A6Qeog
duCmWrsB
8cpSQirg7KgPWKguNzOxx6tHpMfsVBeSOQYeBUwPkHJtLidaAx9WXNoih5ZRSji
Sz+/j iAv1XZW23TDcTXiX4h9TX0lJFaT1PtF8l
r6WukMBa/OK/uRnJ7N/QJ1QY
_PMib2h0sxVQP8WqPQfy F/4zYweykpLbcWuGda9
AiQCDVqxqCQpAul79RzNQrNp
_yGZI+griWozd+nN3sqh4YVu6hVuLkxEoS GAoTV
UByELnHtfWooD/pozgJ+N0No
_MSm45WkK2fPqb08uWB9fAcBXpuyWI8k4NbAIuOYuV5dtxUe
YAhRq2sVHX4IkP/
_WEhNpBtoWCBn4Uyvj5dTbbeEWyJsUlrgk89QlBBxEcMr+AVArorIXwIfZ/hQQ
8 UfdwrYHdpws7CRY2En4D9jR7RcBut++gPz/gAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
 by: Mark Wane - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 12:19 UTC

On Sat, 28 Oct 2023 10:59:02 -0000 (UTC), Dave Royal wrote:

> On 28 Oct 2023 07:35:19 -0000 (UTC) Tweed wrote:
>>I noticed one disadvantage of e-Tickets (ie ones held on a phone) that I
>>hadn’t considered before, on an EMR trip back from StP yesterday: it
>>takes the ticket inspector much longer to perform a ticket check on the
>>train. Her reader is basically a smartphone, so she had to line up her
>>camera with the passenger’s QR code. Then she asked to see the railcard,
>>which invariably seemed also to be phone based. So then much fumbling by
>>the passenger to display the electronic railcard. We had the
>>conventional paper based tickets, not through any dislike of e-tickets
>>but because our ticket included a zone 1-6 day tube ticket, and a
>>plastic railcard. Our ticket check took about two seconds.
>
> Are there technical or operational reasons why the e-ticket could not
> include the railcard, so that both are displayed at once?

They work in completely different ways.

E-tickets are designed to be easily copied within a group. The "primary"
format being the PDF, with in-app and Google/Apple pay wallets as
secondary options.

Digital Railcards being issued to a named person and including their photo
are heavy locked down. They can only be shown within the railcard app,
which needs to phone home every 72 hours.

--
Mark Wane
Matrix: @mark:cool110.xyz

Re: e-Ticket slowness

<uhium2$2ruec$2@cool110.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66976&group=uk.railway#66976

From: mar...@cool110.eternal-september.org (Mark Wane)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 12:26:42 -0000 (UTC)
2NStlYRWOy8h ISRYUk9t0wnzAAABz0lEQVQ4jX
2STW7jMAyFCST1elQH3ke6QG
_NmvK4wlNezELN2AEn3P0JJSUGQ aT3c+X3m45+A
igZ8D1r3QE3ZvoO4B7h6KRiY
_15eMtaWIznx7yAW4eZUtKODuOTxBETUmop4g4Nb0
LOB+MenWEgqEtVeOJ28QDW
_36/xMcORozIuLpszkAN/DGJPJsnZmqniDHupA39iM6a+3516A6Qeog
duCmWrsB
8cpSQirg7KgPWKguNzOxx6tHpMfsVBeSOQYeBUwPkHJtLidaAx9WXNoih5ZRSji
Sz+/j iAv1XZW23TDcTXiX4h9TX0lJFaT1PtF8l
r6WukMBa/OK/uRnJ7N/QJ1QY
_PMib2h0sxVQP8WqPQfy F/4zYweykpLbcWuGda9
AiQCDVqxqCQpAul79RzNQrNp
_yGZI+griWozd+nN3sqh4YVu6hVuLkxEoS GAoTV
UByELnHtfWooD/pozgJ+N0No
_MSm45WkK2fPqb08uWB9fAcBXpuyWI8k4NbAIuOYuV5dtxUe
YAhRq2sVHX4IkP/
_WEhNpBtoWCBn4Uyvj5dTbbeEWyJsUlrgk89QlBBxEcMr+AVArorIXwIfZ/hQQ
8 UfdwrYHdpws7CRY2En4D9jR7RcBut++gPz/gAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
wS^qN!{
+Dy%IO~Jp(v5"Iu,n-(&h=)~"{BDL?)?D?`IUF_D]@7oP@LJd?%E:pNdUi?A^%
qSjia{HCw,kfT%MM
c"6FE'_^&RBTHo):maVp6=lN6k}yo+;^vQ|Se0l\+!Bqzln8W&6i@
zY}XJd.}#3ga019C6M=6~!*{@
f28f/8t1|X&kF9k=O\9eqv2@?5'C9sWt[^eLrH4'?Coi
u25ZqMD~\0/W/\q,WWp=U)n4=F~JVZv&[z whVV=o
 by: Mark Wane - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 12:26 UTC

On Sat, 28 Oct 2023 07:35:19 -0000 (UTC), Tweed wrote:

> I noticed one disadvantage of e-Tickets (ie ones held on a phone) that I
> hadn’t considered before, on an EMR trip back from StP yesterday: it
> takes the ticket inspector much longer to perform a ticket check on the
> train. Her reader is basically a smartphone, so she had to line up her
> camera with the passenger’s QR code. Then she asked to see the railcard,
> which invariably seemed also to be phone based. So then much fumbling by
> the passenger to display the electronic railcard. We had the
> conventional paper based tickets, not through any dislike of e-tickets
> but because our ticket included a zone 1-6 day tube ticket, and a
> plastic railcard. Our ticket check took about two seconds.

From my experience on Northern it's mostly been the other way around. They
use a dedicated barcode scanner linked to the "phone", rather than its
standard camera. That works much faster and since they're listening for
the beep they don't even need to look at the screen most of the time.

--
Mark Wane
Matrix: @mark:cool110.xyz
ActivityPub: @mark@social.cool110.xyz

Re: e-Ticket slowness

<uhjfoi$3e173$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66982&group=uk.railway#66982

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 17:18:10 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:NhtsNk9A44mHhZlj3j5z9dK5bF8=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 17:18 UTC

Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Oct 2023 07:35:19 -0000 (UTC), Tweed
> <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I noticed one disadvantage of e-Tickets (ie ones held on a phone) that I
>> hadn’t considered before, on an EMR trip back from StP yesterday: it takes
>> the ticket inspector much longer to perform a ticket check on the train.
>> Her reader is basically a smartphone, so she had to line up her camera with
>> the passenger’s QR code. Then she asked to see the railcard, which
>> invariably seemed also to be phone based. So then much fumbling by the
>> passenger to display the electronic railcard. We had the conventional paper
>> based tickets, not through any dislike of e-tickets but because our ticket
>> included a zone 1-6 day tube ticket, and a plastic railcard. Our ticket
>> check took about two seconds.
>
> My experience with etickets on EMR is that the check can be very
> quick, and they don't always ask to see the railcard.

Perhaps they’ve had a change of policy. Ticket examiners in both directions
were insisting on seeing railcards.

Re: e-Ticket slowness

<uhjslv$3g8uh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66983&group=uk.railway#66983

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 21:58:39 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 20:58 UTC

On 28/10/2023 18:18, Tweed wrote:
> Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Oct 2023 07:35:19 -0000 (UTC), Tweed
>> <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I noticed one disadvantage of e-Tickets (ie ones held on a phone) that I
>>> hadn’t considered before, on an EMR trip back from StP yesterday: it takes
>>> the ticket inspector much longer to perform a ticket check on the train.
>>> Her reader is basically a smartphone, so she had to line up her camera with
>>> the passenger’s QR code. Then she asked to see the railcard, which
>>> invariably seemed also to be phone based. So then much fumbling by the
>>> passenger to display the electronic railcard. We had the conventional paper
>>> based tickets, not through any dislike of e-tickets but because our ticket
>>> included a zone 1-6 day tube ticket, and a plastic railcard. Our ticket
>>> check took about two seconds.
>>
>> My experience with etickets on EMR is that the check can be very
>> quick, and they don't always ask to see the railcard.
>>

> Perhaps they’ve had a change of policy. Ticket examiners in both directions
> were insisting on seeing railcards.

I've noticed SWR have a spate of checking railcards and then go back to
not asking. Perhaps EMR (and other TOCs) do the same.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: e-Ticket slowness

<uhjumh$3gij7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66984&group=uk.railway#66984

From: Cer...@example.org (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 22:33:05 +0100
 by: Certes - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 21:33 UTC

On 28/10/2023 21:58, Graeme Wall wrote:
> On 28/10/2023 18:18, Tweed wrote:
>> Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:

>>> My experience with etickets on EMR is that the check can be very
>>> quick, and they don't always ask to see the railcard.
>>
>> Perhaps they’ve had a change of policy. Ticket examiners in both
>> directions
>> were insisting on seeing railcards.
>
> I've noticed SWR have a spate of checking railcards and then go back to
> not asking. Perhaps EMR (and other TOCs) do the same.

I may be the season for new students seeing their classmates saving with
a railcard and chancing it without one.

Re: e-Ticket slowness

<uhl4oa$3pjb0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66988&group=uk.railway#66988

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 08:22:34 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 08:22 UTC

On 28/10/2023 22:33, Certes wrote:
> On 28/10/2023 21:58, Graeme Wall wrote:

>>> Perhaps they’ve had a change of policy. Ticket examiners in both
>>> directions
>>> were insisting on seeing railcards.
>>
>> I've noticed SWR have a spate of checking railcards and then go back
>> to not asking. Perhaps EMR (and other TOCs) do the same.
>
> I may be the season for new students seeing their classmates saving with
> a railcard and chancing it without one.

Quite possibly, I'd forgotten the date!
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: e-Ticket slowness

<pyV6kYQB6lPlFAw2@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66994&group=uk.railway#66994

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 13:30:41 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 13:30 UTC

In message <uhidjn$2pbl6$1@dont-email.me>, at 07:35:19 on Sat, 28 Oct
2023, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>I noticed one disadvantage of e-Tickets (ie ones held on a phone) that I
>hadn’t considered before, on an EMR trip back from StP yesterday: it takes
>the ticket inspector much longer to perform a ticket check on the train.

>Her reader is basically a smartphone, so she had to line up her camera with
>the passenger’s QR code. Then she asked to see the railcard, which
>invariably seemed also to be phone based. So then much fumbling by the
>passenger to display the electronic railcard.

Exactly the problem I highlighted recently about the manual ticket
checking at Stansted Airport.

>We had the conventional paper based tickets, not through any dislike of
>e-tickets but because our ticket included a zone 1-6 day tube ticket,
>and a plastic railcard. Our ticket check took about two seconds.

And you have something to take home with you and clip behind a
fridge-magnet to remind you to do delay-repay.
--
Roland Perry

Re: e-Ticket slowness

<BBdAoSRiAmPlFAGi@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66996&group=uk.railway#66996

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 13:37:38 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 13:37 UTC

In message <uhiphm$2rgjk$1@dont-email.me>, at 10:59:02 on Sat, 28 Oct
2023, Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> remarked:
>On 28 Oct 2023 07:35:19 -0000 (UTC) Tweed wrote:
>>I noticed one disadvantage of e-Tickets (ie ones held on a phone) that I
>>hadn’t considered before, on an EMR trip back from StP yesterday: it takes
>>the ticket inspector much longer to perform a ticket check on the train.
>>Her reader is basically a smartphone, so she had to line up her camera with
>>the passenger’s QR code. Then she asked to see the railcard, which
>>invariably seemed also to be phone based. So then much fumbling by the
>>passenger to display the electronic railcard. We had the conventional paper
>>based tickets, not through any dislike of e-tickets but because our ticket
>>included a zone 1-6 day tube ticket, and a plastic railcard. Our ticket
>>check took about two seconds.
>
>Are there technical or operational reasons why the e-ticket could not
>include the railcard, so that both are displayed at once?

Some integration is creeping in... a handful of TOCs now have
photo-ITSO-cards, which means season ticket holders only have one thing
to present to be checked.

I've now got my railcard on my [new] phone, although the first time I
tried to load it after purchasing it online, produced some variant of
the infuriating "something went wrong" messages. So my first trip was
done without it. Had a gripper wanted to see it, I'd have encouraged
them to help me re-try loading it. Although working wifi on the train
would have been a useful first step.

We should bite back: "I'm sorry but I'm experiencing a higher than usual
demand to produce travel documents; you are in a queue and your request
will be answered in 45 minutes".
--
Roland Perry