Swipple's Rule of Order: He who shouts the loudest has the floor.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Man jailed after cyclist dies in Nottinghamshire level crossing collision

SubjectAuthor
* Man jailed after cyclist dies in Nottinghamshire level crossing collisionswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Man jailed after cyclist dies in Nottinghamshire level crossingJNugent
`* Re: Man jailed after cyclist dies in Nottinghamshire level crossing collisionswldx...@gmail.com
 `* Re: Man jailed after cyclist dies in Nottinghamshire level crossing collisionswldx...@gmail.com
  +- Re: Man jailed after cyclist dies in Nottinghamshire level crossingSpike
  `- Re: Man jailed after cyclist dies in Nottinghamshire level crossing collisionswldx...@gmail.com

1
Man jailed after cyclist dies in Nottinghamshire level crossing collision

<17096baf-a5b1-426f-8180-82567f38e9een@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6662&group=uk.rec.cycling#6662

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 09:31:04 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Man jailed after cyclist dies in Nottinghamshire level crossing collision
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 17:31 UTC

DECENT SENTENCE FOR A CHANGE.

A 30-year-old man has been jailed for death by dangerous driving, after his car collided with a cyclist at a level crossing in Retford.

Craig Baker, of Beechways, Retford, pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing and was sentenced to 18 months in jail at Nottingham Crown Court on Monday 28 February.

He was also disqualified from driving for three years and nine months.

The court heard how on the morning of Friday, 20 November 2020, Baker approached the Botnay Bay level crossing at Retford at the same time as 73-year-old Roy Codd, who was riding an electric bike from the opposite direction.

As the barrier lowered, both moved forward against the red signal, colliding in the middle of the crossing. Mr Codd was subsequently knocked from his bike by Baker’s car.

Baker immediately returned to the crossing and moved Mr Codd from the rails in an attempt to prevent him from sustaining further injuries.

Paramedics attended but sadly Mr Codd was pronounced dead at the scene.

Investigating officer DC Richard Soare said: “This is an incredibly tragic case and we send our heartfelt sympathies to the family of Mr Codd.

“Baker pleaded guilty to the dangerous driving charge and displayed genuine remorse for what happened.”

At the time of his death Mr Codd’s son and daughter released this statement:

“We are extremely saddened to announce the passing of our popular, care-free father, known to most as Blue.

“Two years ago our dad lost the love of his life, Judith, our mother, who he is now reunited with. He was a dedicated father and husband and we are still coming to terms with his tragic and sudden passing.

“He married our mother in 1977 after they met working for British Ropes, he then went on to work as a bus driver for East Midlands/Stagecoach for 30 years before retiring in 2012.

“Having lived his whole life in Retford, he’ll also be sorely missed by all that knew him in the area where he’s most known being an ever-smiling bus driver.”

https://westbridgfordwire.com/man-jailed-after-cyclist-dies-in-nottinghamshire-level-crossing-collision/

Re: Man jailed after cyclist dies in Nottinghamshire level crossing collision

<j8qdv9FdgrdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6666&group=uk.rec.cycling#6666

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Man jailed after cyclist dies in Nottinghamshire level crossing
collision
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 01:24:57 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 01:24 UTC

> DECENT SENTENCE FOR A CHANGE.
>
> A 30-year-old man has been jailed for death by dangerous driving, after his car collided with a cyclist at a level crossing in Retford.
>
> Craig Baker, of Beechways, Retford, pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing and was sentenced to 18 months in jail at Nottingham Crown Court on Monday 28 February.
>
> He was also disqualified from driving for three years and nine months.
>
> The court heard how on the morning of Friday, 20 November 2020, Baker approached the Botnay Bay level crossing at Retford at the same time as 73-year-old Roy Codd, who was riding an electric bike from the opposite direction.
>
> As the barrier lowered, both moved forward against the red signal, colliding in the middle of the crossing. Mr Codd was subsequently knocked from his bike by Baker’s car.
>
> Baker immediately returned to the crossing and moved Mr Codd from the rails in an attempt to prevent him from sustaining further injuries.
>
> Paramedics attended but sadly Mr Codd was pronounced dead at the scene.
>
> Investigating officer DC Richard Soare said: “This is an incredibly tragic case and we send our heartfelt sympathies to the family of Mr Codd.
>
> “Baker pleaded guilty to the dangerous driving charge and displayed genuine remorse for what happened.”
>

> At the time of his death Mr Codd’s son and daughter released this statement:
>
> “We are extremely saddened to announce the passing of our popular, care-free father, known to most as Blue.
>
> “Two years ago our dad lost the love of his life, Judith, our mother, who he is now reunited with. He was a dedicated father and husband and we are still coming to terms with his tragic and sudden passing.
>
> “He married our mother in 1977 after they met working for British Ropes, he then went on to work as a bus driver for East Midlands/Stagecoach for 30 years before retiring in 2012.
>
> “Having lived his whole life in Retford, he’ll also be sorely missed by all that knew him in the area where he’s most known being an ever-smiling bus driver.”
>
> https://westbridgfordwire.com/man-jailed-after-cyclist-dies-in-nottinghamshire-level-crossing-collision/

QUOTE:
As the barrier lowered, both moved forward against the red signal,
colliding in the middle
ENDQUOTE

Misadventure?

Re: Man jailed after cyclist dies in Nottinghamshire level crossing collision

<599b6689-7d78-4717-8258-49e800c21996n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6671&group=uk.rec.cycling#6671

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 03:52:55 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 11:52 UTC

On Tuesday, March 8, 2022 at 5:31:06 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> DECENT SENTENCE FOR A CHANGE.

> Craig Baker, of Beechways, Retford, pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing and was sentenced to 18 months in jail at Nottingham Crown Court on Monday 28 February.
>
> He was also disqualified from driving for three years and nine months.

ANYONE KNOW IF THAT MEANS THAT HE GETS A BAN OF 5 YEARS AND 3 MONTHS IN TOTAL?

> https://westbridgfordwire.com/man-jailed-after-cyclist-dies-in-nottinghamshire-level-crossing-collision/

Re: Man jailed after cyclist dies in Nottinghamshire level crossing collision

<bcc03719-d6ec-4506-8672-5bfa19cca675n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6682&group=uk.rec.cycling#6682

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 09:09:16 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 17:09 UTC

On Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 11:52:56 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 8, 2022 at 5:31:06 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > DECENT SENTENCE FOR A CHANGE.
>

> > Craig Baker, of Beechways, Retford, pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing and was sentenced to 18 months in jail at Nottingham Crown Court on Monday 28 February.
> >
> > He was also disqualified from driving for three years and nine months.
> ANYONE KNOW IF THAT MEANS THAT HE GETS A BAN OF 5 YEARS AND 3 MONTHS IN TOTAL?
>
> > https://westbridgfordwire.com/man-jailed-after-cyclist-dies-in-nottinghamshire-level-crossing-collision/

Thanks to "xxl" for the PM - it seems that the criminal driver's ban begins once he is let out of jail.
So his de facto ban is indeed 5 y 3 m in total.

Re: Man jailed after cyclist dies in Nottinghamshire level crossing collision

<j8tvhbF3it7U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6692&group=uk.rec.cycling#6692

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
collision
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 09:43:09 +0000
 by: Spike - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 09:43 UTC

On 09/03/2022 17:09, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 11:52:56 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Tuesday, March 8, 2022 at 5:31:06 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> DECENT SENTENCE FOR A CHANGE.

>>> Craig Baker, of Beechways, Retford, pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing and was sentenced to 18 months in jail at Nottingham Crown Court on Monday 28 February.

>>> He was also disqualified from driving for three years and nine months.
>> ANYONE KNOW IF THAT MEANS THAT HE GETS A BAN OF 5 YEARS AND 3 MONTHS IN TOTAL?

>>> https://westbridgfordwire.com/man-jailed-after-cyclist-dies-in-nottinghamshire-level-crossing-collision/

> Thanks to "xxl" for the PM - it seems that the criminal driver's ban begins once he is let out of jail.

> So his de facto ban is indeed 5 y 3 m in total.

He'll have to take up cycling. I'm sure he'll fit right in.

--
Spike

Re: Man jailed after cyclist dies in Nottinghamshire level crossing collision

<0ca938e9-08c7-46c6-9b23-c8d94a8f082an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6697&group=uk.rec.cycling#6697

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 03:42:56 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 11:42 UTC

On Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 5:09:18 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 11:52:56 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Tuesday, March 8, 2022 at 5:31:06 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > DECENT SENTENCE FOR A CHANGE.
> >

> > > Craig Baker, of Beechways, Retford, pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing and was sentenced to 18 months in jail at Nottingham Crown Court on Monday 28 February.
> > >
> > > He was also disqualified from driving for three years and nine months.
> > ANYONE KNOW IF THAT MEANS THAT HE GETS A BAN OF 5 YEARS AND 3 MONTHS IN TOTAL?
> >
> > > https://westbridgfordwire.com/man-jailed-after-cyclist-dies-in-nottinghamshire-level-crossing-collision/
> Thanks to "xxl" for the PM - it seems that the criminal driver's ban begins once he is let out of jail.
> So his de facto ban is indeed 5 y 3 m in total.

Thanks to a recent change that closed the loophole where the criminal drivers started their driving ban while they were jailed.

Madness.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Man jailed after cyclist dies in Nottinghamshire level crossing collision