Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 06:19:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Van driver U-turns after group ride to shout abuse and make second
punishment pass
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 17 May 2021 13:19 UTC

I wonder what wound up the van driver more: not being held up by the group ride or getting a friendly wave when he sped past on their inside? This is one of those where it is hard to understand why cyclists inspire quite this much rage in some motorists...

The rest of the clip speaks for itself...the driver delays himself by pulling a U-turn just past the traffic lights before using his vehicle to try and intimidate the riders. The good news is the cyclist who posted the video has a phone appointment with the police this morning, so hopefully we will have news of some action shortly.

Describing the incident, Matt Booth tweeted Warwickshire Police: "White van passes us without being held up, but inconveniences himself by doing two U-turns so he can shout abuse before sending an incredibly dangerous punishment pass on six people. Warwickshire Police, if he doesn't lose his license (SIC), I don't know who would. He's a danger to the public."

Labour councillor and vocal active travel proponent Jo Rigby responded to the video: "Driver using his vehicle as a weapon. We need to get drivers like this off our roads. If any other marketed product had caused over half a million deaths in the UK, it would have a product recall. And billion pound compensation claims. There is something profoundly wrong with a car’s design if it kills someone."

A quick dip into the road.cc archives found another recent shocking piece of driving from Warwickshire...Near Miss of the Day 544 featured a driver, whose vehicle was untaxed and had no MOT, barely deviating from their line as they passed. The cyclist told us they reported it to Warwickshire Police but had not heard the outcome...

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-17-may-2021-283391#live-blog-item-24835

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Van driver U-turns after group ride to shout abuse and make second punishment pass