While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Near Miss of the Day 731: Overtaking driver almost hits cyclist head-on

SubjectAuthor
* Near Miss of the Day 731: Overtaking driver almost hits cyclist head-onswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Near Miss of the Day 731: Overtaking driver completely missesJNugent
+* Re: Near Miss of the Day 731: Overtaking driver almost hits cyclist head-onswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Near Miss of the Day 731: Overtaking driver almost hits cyclistJNugent
`- Re: Near Miss of the Day 731: Overtaking driver almost hits cyclist head-onswldx...@gmail.com

1
Near Miss of the Day 731: Overtaking driver almost hits cyclist head-on

<4ccc1f8f-944c-4fc2-b131-805a365c7ba5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6715&group=uk.rec.cycling#6715

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 09:09:01 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Near Miss of the Day 731: Overtaking driver almost hits cyclist head-on
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 17:09 UTC

The video that features in our Near Miss of the Day series today shows one of those heart-stopping moments that, as a cyclist, you have no control over and just have to hope for the best, as a driver on the wrong side of the road as they overtake another car at speed heads straight towards a rider in North London.

Fortunately, the motorist didn’t hit Danny, the road.cc reader who sent us the clip of the incident on Hornsey Road, close to Arsenal FC’s Emirates Stadium – but it was pretty damn close.

“The impatient driver decided that the fact that a cyclist was coming from the opposite direction did not prevent him from overtaking,” Danny said.

I wasn't able to read the vehicle registration number, so unfortunately no action made,” he added.

https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-731-overtaking-driver-almost-hits-cyclist-head-290981

Re: Near Miss of the Day 731: Overtaking driver completely misses fairy-cyclist

<j8vk0fFdep3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6728&group=uk.rec.cycling#6728

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Near Miss of the Day 731: Overtaking driver completely misses
fairy-cyclist
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 00:38:39 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 00:38 UTC

> The video that features in our Near Miss of the Day series today shows one of those heart-stopping moments that, as a fairy-cyclist, you have no control over and just have to hope for the best, as a driver on the wrong side of the road as they overtake another car at speed heads straight towards a rider in North London.
>
> Fortunately, the motorist didn’t hit Danny, the road.cc reader who sent us the clip of the incident on Hornsey Road, close to Arsenal FC’s Emirates Stadium – but it was pretty damn close.
>
> “The impatient driver decided that the fact that a fairy-cyclist was coming from the opposite direction did not prevent him from overtaking,” Danny said.
>
> I wasn't able to read the vehicle registration number, so unfortunately no action made,” he added.
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-731-overtaking-driver-almost-hits-cyclist-head-290981

Did that fairy-bike actually display any vehicle lighting during the
hours of darkness?

Re: Near Miss of the Day 731: Overtaking driver almost hits cyclist head-on

<d165c637-8603-4e63-9121-492ddf0a9f31n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6741&group=uk.rec.cycling#6741

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 03:30:11 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 11:30 UTC

Mungecrundle | 2562 posts | 7 hours ago
2 likes

Probably my nearest death experience and explanation of my pathological fear of black BMW X5s was from an incident coming down into Royston on the A10 from the south. It's a single carriagway road at this point and I was enjoying the long downhill stretch just before entering the town until said BMW driver coming the other way decided to overtake a line of traffic forcing me into the gutter and I mean really into the gutter, broken drains, fallen tree bits and other debris. Our combined closing speed must have been over 100mph.

reply quote

HLaB | 386 posts | 12 hours ago
0 likes

I had similar when a learner slowed down from a 60mph limit to under 40mph entering a village an impatient driver overtook them straight into my path. The poor learner must have thought, judging by the horror on their face, they were about to witness a fatality. Thankfully slowing down and moving out of the primary position avoided that comfortably

reply quote

hirsute | 5270 posts | 16 hours ago
1 like

What's the speed limit on that road ?

reply quote

Re: Near Miss of the Day 731: Overtaking driver almost hits cyclist head-on

<j90vhuFlan2U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6752&group=uk.rec.cycling#6752

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Near Miss of the Day 731: Overtaking driver almost hits cyclist
head-on
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 13:01:50 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 13:01 UTC

On 11/03/2022 11:30 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Mungecrundle | 2562 posts | 7 hours ago
> 2 likes
>

> Probably my nearest death experience and explanation of my pathological fear of black BMW X5s was from an incident coming down into Royston on the A10 from the south. It's a single carriagway road at this point and I was enjoying the long downhill stretch just before entering the town until said BMW driver coming the other way decided to overtake a line of traffic forcing me into the gutter and I mean really into the gutter, broken drains, fallen tree bits and other debris. Our combined closing speed must have been over 100mph.
>
> reply quote

> HLaB | 386 posts | 12 hours ago
> 0 likes
>

> I had similar when a learner slowed down from a 60mph limit to under 40mph entering a village an impatient driver overtook them straight into my path. The poor learner must have thought, judging by the horror on their face, they were about to witness a fatality. Thankfully slowing down and moving out of the primary position avoided that comfortably

"slowing down and moving out of the primary position avoided [a
collision] comfortably...".

There's a lesson in there for all fairy-cyclists.

> reply quote

> hirsute | 5270 posts | 16 hours ago
> 1 like
>

> What's the speed limit on that road ?
>
> reply quote

Re: Near Miss of the Day 731: Overtaking driver almost hits cyclist head-on

<352002b1-316f-4d1a-8a3c-4025ad749efcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6756&group=uk.rec.cycling#6756

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 06:46:54 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 14:46 UTC

On Thursday, March 10, 2022 at 5:09:02 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

hirsute | 5273 posts | 19 hours ago
1 like

What's the speed limit on that road ?

reply quote

HoarseMann replied to hirsute | 1447 posts | 17 hours ago
4 likes

20mph! https://goo.gl/maps/CDjJKrFRL2QcS1Gb9 (link is external)
..