From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Time to bring this to an end
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 17:34:18 +0000
 by: Spike - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 17:34 UTC

> Responding to Chris Froome’s suggestion following Egan Bernal’s crash in Colombia that training on time trial bikes on roads should be banned on safety grounds, Trentin told Cyclingnews.com: "Of course, the point of Chris of training on the road with the TT bike is correct, but I would add that it's not a TT bike problem; the problem is the traffic, the problem is the amount of people in cars today".

Actually, the problem isn't cars on the road, it's cyclists practising
on the roads what are called by the innocent-sounding name of 'time trials'.

A 'time trial' differs from a race because in the latter, everyone
starts together and at any instant anyone can see who is in the lead -
the leader has only to go fast enough to stay in front. But in a 'time
trial', you don't know exactly how everyone else is doing, because
competitors start at different times. As no competitor knows who is in
the lead, all competitors have to go as fast as they can all the time.

Practising this 'all-out at all costs' on open public roads is simply a
recipe for disaster for both rider and innocent members of the public.
Blaming 'too many cars' is a convenient way of deflecting attention from
the punishing format of the 'time trial'.

To make matters even worse, the public have this sort of selfish and
mindless attitude to content with, as mentioned recently in connection
with 'time trial' (TT) bicycles:

"I along with most riders removed the bell from both my TT bike and my
training bike and they are still to this day on the shelf in my
workshop. I have no intention whatsoever of using them again!"

The Highway Code recommends bicycles be fitted with bells.

It's high time to end this combination of arrogance and ignorance by
time trial riders, and BAN TIME TRIAL BIKES AND TIME TRIAL PRACTISING
FROM PUBLIC ROADS.

--
Spike

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Time to bring this to an end