America: born free and taxed to death.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

SubjectAuthor
* MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseMike Collins
|+* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane basesoup
||`- Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseMike Collins
|+* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseJNugent
||+* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane basesoup
|||`- Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseJNugent
||`* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseMike Collins
|| `* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseJNugent
||  `* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseMike Collins
||   +* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane basesoup
||   |`* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseMike Collins
||   | +* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane basesoup
||   | |+- Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane basesoup
||   | |+* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseMike Collins
||   | ||`* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseJNugent
||   | || `* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseMike Collins
||   | ||  `* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseJNugent
||   | ||   `* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseMike Collins
||   | ||    `- Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseJNugent
||   | |`* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseMike Collins
||   | | `- Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane basesoup
||   | `* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseJNugent
||   |  `* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseMike Collins
||   |   `* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseJNugent
||   |    `* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseMike Collins
||   |     `- Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseJNugent
||   `- Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseJNugent
|`- Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseswldx...@gmail.com
`* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane basesoup
 `* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane basesoup
  `* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseswldx...@gmail.com
   `* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane basesoup
    `* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane basesoup
     +* Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane basesoup
     |+- Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseJNugent
     |`- Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseswldx...@gmail.com
     `- Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane baseTMS320

Pages:12
MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<e6d6655c-d2d4-40ea-94d1-d3b439e61effn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=674&group=uk.rec.cycling#674

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 09:54:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 17 May 2021 16:54 UTC

A SECURITY guard at the oil fuel depot near Faslane has been filmed apparently making chilling threats and hurling foul-mouthed abuse at a teenage cyclist.

Audio and video footage shared with the Advertiser appears to show the security guard at the depot, located to the north of Faslane itself, telling 18-year-old Alex Sidney: “When I’m out in my car you’re going to come off that f***ing bike”.

Alex told the Advertiser he had been cycling in the area last Friday, (May 7) and had stopped to take a drink of water on the public road which runs alongside the depot.
AD

In Alex’s video recording, a security guard inside the oil depot’s boundary fence can be seen approaching him and apparently being verbally abusive.

In the audio recording the same voice can be heard telling Alex to “f**k off”, before saying “Why you being a c**k? Have you got nothing better to do with your f***ing time?”

Throughout the incident, Alex – who is a resident of the Faslane peace camp, and who featured in the Advertiser recently after his rides around Helensburgh on his Tall Bike caught the eyes of local residents – remains silent.

The guard continues: “You’re just an a******e eh? A f***ing waster in life.

“If I had my way, you wouldn’t be sitting up on that f***ing bike. When I’m out in my car, you’re going to come off that f***ing bike.”

In the separate video recording, the guard is heard telling Alex to “give me a pose” before calling him a “f***ing c*** s***er”.

The oil depot is run by the Oil and Pipelines Agency, a public corporation of the Ministry of Defence.

Alex said: “I was on a bike ride and pulled into a lay-by for a water break, next to one of the closed gates to the oil fuel depot. The guard came out and started shouting at me.

“I was always on public land but he seemed to think it was MoD property, despite having asked police later, who confirmed that it was public.
“I was never blocking any entrances or causing any disruption to work or traffic so I don’t see what the issue was.

“I had just stopped for a few minutes to catch my breath, but evidently this guard was already in a bad place and wanted to take out his frustration on somebody.

“I’m not bothered by the remarks, but my main worry is that they are paid to be professional, and if they are not doing that, and instead are verbally abusing people, then that might not be the right line of work for them.”

An MoD spokesperson said: “The MoD Guard Service does not condone offensive behaviour.

“We are aware of this incident and the matter is currently being investigated.

“It would be inappropriate to comment further at this time.”

https://www.helensburghadvertiser.co.uk/news/19303840.mod-investigating-guards-threats-cyclist-near-faslane-base/

Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<c67805ca-9adc-4da1-a82a-a394ec6ea04bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=678&group=uk.rec.cycling#678

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 11:50:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Mon, 17 May 2021 18:50 UTC

On Monday, 17 May 2021 at 17:54:09 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> A SECURITY guard at the oil fuel depot near Faslane has been filmed apparently making chilling threats and hurling foul-mouthed abuse at a teenage cyclist.
>
> Audio and video footage shared with the Advertiser appears to show the security guard at the depot, located to the north of Faslane itself, telling 18-year-old Alex Sidney: “When I’m out in my car you’re going to come off that f***ing bike”.
>
> Alex told the Advertiser he had been cycling in the area last Friday, (May 7) and had stopped to take a drink of water on the public road which runs alongside the depot.
> AD
>
> In Alex’s video recording, a security guard inside the oil depot’s boundary fence can be seen approaching him and apparently being verbally abusive.
>
> In the audio recording the same voice can be heard telling Alex to “f**k off”, before saying “Why you being a c**k? Have you got nothing better to do with your f***ing time?”
>
> Throughout the incident, Alex – who is a resident of the Faslane peace camp, and who featured in the Advertiser recently after his rides around Helensburgh on his Tall Bike caught the eyes of local residents – remains silent.
>
> The guard continues: “You’re just an a******e eh? A f***ing waster in life.
>
> “If I had my way, you wouldn’t be sitting up on that f***ing bike. When I’m out in my car, you’re going to come off that f***ing bike.”
>
> In the separate video recording, the guard is heard telling Alex to “give me a pose” before calling him a “f***ing c*** s***er”.
>
> The oil depot is run by the Oil and Pipelines Agency, a public corporation of the Ministry of Defence.
>
> Alex said: “I was on a bike ride and pulled into a lay-by for a water break, next to one of the closed gates to the oil fuel depot. The guard came out and started shouting at me.
>
> “I was always on public land but he seemed to think it was MoD property, despite having asked police later, who confirmed that it was public..
> “I was never blocking any entrances or causing any disruption to work or traffic so I don’t see what the issue was.
>
> “I had just stopped for a few minutes to catch my breath, but evidently this guard was already in a bad place and wanted to take out his frustration on somebody.
>
> “I’m not bothered by the remarks, but my main worry is that they are paid to be professional, and if they are not doing that, and instead are verbally abusing people, then that might not be the right line of work for them.”
>
> An MoD spokesperson said: “The MoD Guard Service does not condone offensive behaviour.
>
> “We are aware of this incident and the matter is currently being investigated.
>
> “It would be inappropriate to comment further at this time.”
>
> https://www.helensburghadvertiser.co.uk/news/19303840.mod-investigating-guards-threats-cyclist-near-faslane-base/

The terminally unwashed in the peace camp are only there because of nuclear weapons.
We can be proud of the fact we are the only nation to use a nuclear submarine in anger.

Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<s7uefn$fej$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=680&group=uk.rec.cycling#680

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 20:00:07 +0100
 by: soup - Mon, 17 May 2021 19:00 UTC

On 17/05/2021 19:50, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Monday, 17 May 2021 at 17:54:09 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> Throughout the incident, Alex – who is a resident of the Faslane peace camp, and who featured in the Advertiser recently after his rides around Helensburgh on his Tall Bike caught the eyes of local residents – remains silent.

> The terminally unwashed in the peace camp are only there because of nuclear weapons.
> We can be proud of the fact we are the only nation to use a nuclear submarine in anger.

Erm you do realise it was a WWII era torpedo that was used? A mark 8
(mod4) if memory serves. Ok the sub was nuclear powered but it wasn't a
nuclear weapon that was used

Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<igfsv4Fj3fhU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=681&group=uk.rec.cycling#681

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 20:03:00 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 17 May 2021 19:03 UTC

On 17/05/2021 07:50 pm, Mike Collins wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> “I’m not bothered by the remarks, but my main worry is that they are paid to be professional, and if they are not doing that, and instead are verbally abusing people, then that might not be the right line of work for them.”
>>
>> An MoD spokesperson said: “The MoD Guard Service does not condone offensive behaviour.
>>
>> “We are aware of this incident and the matter is currently being investigated.
>>
>> “It would be inappropriate to comment further at this time.”
>>
>> https://www.helensburghadvertiser.co.uk/news/19303840.mod-investigating-guards-threats-cyclist-near-faslane-base/
>
> The terminally unwashed in the peace camp are only there because of nuclear weapons.
> We can be proud of the fact we are the only nation to use a nuclear submarine in anger.

Was the nuclear submarine in question equipped with any nuclear weapons?

Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<385f9971-a62b-44f3-8b32-a172ff2f1b53n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=682&group=uk.rec.cycling#682

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 12:12:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 17 May 2021 19:12 UTC

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 7:50:30 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > “I’m not bothered by the remarks, but my main worry is that they are paid to be professional, and if they are not doing that, and instead are verbally abusing people, then that might not be the right line of work for them.”
> >
> > An MoD spokesperson said: “The MoD Guard Service does not condone offensive behaviour.
> >
> > “We are aware of this incident and the matter is currently being investigated.
> >
> > “It would be inappropriate to comment further at this time.”
> >
> > https://www.helensburghadvertiser.co.uk/news/19303840.mod-investigating-guards-threats-cyclist-near-faslane-base/
> The terminally unwashed in the peace camp are only there because of nuclear weapons.
> We can be proud of the fact we are the only nation to use a nuclear submarine in anger.

QUOTE:
Fred222222 10 hrs ago
User ID: 2345539
0 The MOD has impeccable standards. Good to see them sorting this one out promptly.

Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<s7uf6j$l1s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=683&group=uk.rec.cycling#683

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 20:12:23 +0100
 by: soup - Mon, 17 May 2021 19:12 UTC

On 17/05/2021 17:54, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Alex told the Advertiser he had been cycling in the area last Friday, (May 7) and had stopped to take a drink of water on the public road which runs alongside the depot.

So a peace protestor just happens to stop at a gate and take a drink.

> In Alex’s video recording, a security guard inside the oil depot’s boundary fence can be seen approaching him and apparently being verbally abusive.

So his own video recording so you don't get to see the preceding five
minutes of him calling the guard a wage slave who's working for the man,
a Nazi etc

> In the audio recording the same voice can be heard telling Alex to “f**k off”, before saying “Why you being a c**k? Have you got nothing better to do with your f***ing time?”

I.E. stop bothering me and stop being provocative

> In the separate video recording, the guard is heard telling Alex to “give me a pose” before calling him a “f***ing c*** s***er”.

what separate video recording?

> An MoD spokesperson said: “The MoD Guard Service does not condone offensive behaviour.

MOD guard service, so a minimum pay position with minimal training,
rather than a MOD plod.

I think there is a LOT more to this story than we are being told .
Still it is pretty much the default position of Simon to take the
cyclists side even if all the salient facts go unreported

Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<s7ufv1$qkq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=684&group=uk.rec.cycling#684

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 20:25:26 +0100
 by: soup - Mon, 17 May 2021 19:25 UTC

On 17/05/2021 20:03, JNugent wrote:
> On 17/05/2021 07:50 pm, Mike Collins wrote:

>> The terminally unwashed in the peace camp are only there because of
>> nuclear weapons.
>> We can be proud of the fact we are the only nation to use a nuclear
>> submarine in anger.
>
> Was the nuclear submarine in question equipped with any nuclear weapons?

Nope it had (along with the mark 8s used) Tigerfish torpedoes and
Harpoon missiles neither of which have nuclear warheads
..

Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<s7ug5f$run$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=685&group=uk.rec.cycling#685

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 20:28:51 +0100
 by: soup - Mon, 17 May 2021 19:28 UTC

On 17/05/2021 20:17, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 8:12:21 PM UTC+1, soup wrote:
>
>> Still it is pretty much the default position of Simon to take the
>> cyclists side even if all the salient facts go unreported
>
> I think you'll find that I posted the item with no personal comments and it was published not on the "biased" Road.cc, but in the Helensburgh Advertiser.

If you didn't agree with the tone of the article why post at all?
Wouldn't have thought a denizen of Hull would be reading the Helensburgh
advertiser just out of interest of what was happening just north of Glasgow

Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<f95309e8-7e94-4bc8-8afe-9475027071d0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=686&group=uk.rec.cycling#686

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 13:37:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Mon, 17 May 2021 20:37 UTC

On Monday, 17 May 2021 at 20:00:09 UTC+1, soup wrote:
> On 17/05/2021 19:50, Mike Collins wrote:
> > On Monday, 17 May 2021 at 17:54:09 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> >> Throughout the incident, Alex – who is a resident of the Faslane peace camp, and who featured in the Advertiser recently after his rides around Helensburgh on his Tall Bike caught the eyes of local residents – remains silent.
>

> > The terminally unwashed in the peace camp are only there because of nuclear weapons.
> > We can be proud of the fact we are the only nation to use a nuclear submarine in anger.
> Erm you do realise it was a WWII era torpedo that was used? A mark 8
> (mod4) if memory serves. Ok the sub was nuclear powered but it wasn't a
> nuclear weapon that was used

Yes I am aware of that and in true Naval tradition nobody celebrated loss of life as the sea will always be the greater enemy.

Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<e0cb0a35-f725-438f-a112-fbced1f70d18n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=687&group=uk.rec.cycling#687

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 13:41:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Mon, 17 May 2021 20:41 UTC

On Monday, 17 May 2021 at 20:03:03 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >> “I’m not bothered by the remarks, but my main worry is that they are paid to be professional, and if they are not doing that, and instead are verbally abusing people, then that might not be the right line of work for them.”
> >>
> >> An MoD spokesperson said: “The MoD Guard Service does not condone offensive behaviour.
> >>
> >> “We are aware of this incident and the matter is currently being investigated.
> >>
> >> “It would be inappropriate to comment further at this time.”
> >>
> >> https://www.helensburghadvertiser.co.uk/news/19303840.mod-investigating-guards-threats-cyclist-near-faslane-base/
> >
> > The terminally unwashed in the peace camp are only there because of nuclear weapons.
> > We can be proud of the fact we are the only nation to use a nuclear submarine in anger.
> Was the nuclear submarine in question equipped with any nuclear weapons?

Does it matter?

Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<iggf3vFme3lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=688&group=uk.rec.cycling#688

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 01:12:47 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 18 May 2021 00:12 UTC

On 17/05/2021 08:25 pm, soup wrote:
> On 17/05/2021 20:03, JNugent wrote:
>> On 17/05/2021 07:50 pm, Mike Collins wrote:
>
>>> The terminally unwashed in the peace camp are only there because of
>>> nuclear weapons.
>>> We can be proud of the fact we are the only nation to use a nuclear
>>> submarine in anger.
>>
>> Was the nuclear submarine in question equipped with any nuclear weapons?
>
> Nope it had (along with the mark 8s used) Tigerfish torpedoes and
> Harpoon missiles neither of which have nuclear warheads

That is what I recalled from reports of the time.

Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<iggf6mFme3lU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=689&group=uk.rec.cycling#689

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 01:14:14 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 18 May 2021 00:14 UTC

On 17/05/2021 09:41 pm, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Monday, 17 May 2021 at 20:03:03 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

>>> The terminally unwashed in the peace camp are only there because of nuclear weapons.
>>> We can be proud of the fact we are the only nation to use a nuclear submarine in anger.
>> Was the nuclear submarine in question equipped with any nuclear weapons?
>
> Does it matter?

If it didn't, would the usual suspects (including you) mention the word
"nuclear" at all?

Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<6f5024f0-11f1-4758-87d1-c370bc6668bdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=690&group=uk.rec.cycling#690

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 20:40:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Tue, 18 May 2021 03:40 UTC

On Tuesday, 18 May 2021 at 01:14:17 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
> On 17/05/2021 09:41 pm, Mike Collins wrote:

> >> Was the nuclear submarine in question equipped with any nuclear weapons?
> >
> > Does it matter?
> If it didn't, would the usual suspects (including you) mention the word
> "nuclear" at all?

It does not change the fact that we are the only nation to have used a nuclear submarine in anger. I doubt the blunderment would have informed you if Conqueror was carrying nuclear weapons. Buenos Aires should be a radioactive glass crater.

Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<s7vonf$496$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=691&group=uk.rec.cycling#691

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 08:01:08 +0100
 by: soup - Tue, 18 May 2021 07:01 UTC

On 18/05/2021 04:40, Mike Collins wrote:

> It does not change the fact that we are the only nation to have used a nuclear submarine in anger.

True but you were the one saying the peace camp was there ONLY because
of Nuclear weapons. Then mention 'our' use of Nuclear power . Seems a
very strong statement to me that you believed Conqueror had these
nuclear weapons onboard.

> I doubt the blunderment would have informed you if Conqueror was carrying nuclear weapons.

AFAIK Conqueror could only launch out her torpedo tubes there is no
TT launched nuclear device in existence . The Americans did have a
nuclear torpedo back in the 50s but it was so large and seldom was a
nuclear warhead required that it was soon discontinued.

Subs that launch nuclear missiles (Poseidon and such) have vertical
launch tubes (a completely different design to Conqueror).

> Buenos Aires should be a radioactive glass crater.

I severely doubt Buenos Aires would get nuked it would end in the whole
world Nuking everything in sight .
Don't forget, despite the UN resolution that Argentina were the bad
guys, no-one [1] was fighting on our side, so they weren't that bothered
,and if the UK used nukes... .

[1]
America did give us intel.
France did stop the trade in Exocet missiles.
Chile did let us use one of their islands as a long range monitoring
post (possibly).
Was that why Pinochet was treated so well by the UK government?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DVy3D2eglE (The story of Chile's
involvement, yes it is long
but it does show how Chile
was involved)

Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<96376097-1c42-42ac-84ea-0d3d1f91f376n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=692&group=uk.rec.cycling#692

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 01:31:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Tue, 18 May 2021 08:31 UTC

On Tuesday, 18 May 2021 at 08:01:05 UTC+1, soup wrote:
> On 18/05/2021 04:40, Mike Collins wrote:
>

> > It does not change the fact that we are the only nation to have used a nuclear submarine in anger.
> True but you were the one saying the peace camp was there ONLY because
> of Nuclear weapons. Then mention 'our' use of Nuclear power . Seems a
> very strong statement to me that you believed Conqueror had these
> nuclear weapons onboard.

What I meant was if we did not have our own nuclear deterrent the protesters would be in a gulag.

> > I doubt the blunderment would have informed you if Conqueror was carrying nuclear weapons.
> AFAIK Conqueror could only launch out her torpedo tubes there is no
> TT launched nuclear device in existence . The Americans did have a
> nuclear torpedo back in the 50s but it was so large and seldom was a
> nuclear warhead required that it was soon discontinued.

Russia also had a nuclear torpedo and captains were released from senior command after Cuba.

> Subs that launch nuclear missiles (Poseidon and such) have vertical
> launch tubes (a completely different design to Conqueror).
> > Buenos Aires should be a radioactive glass crater.
> I severely doubt Buenos Aires would get nuked it would end in the whole
> world Nuking everything in sight .

I believe in independence. The residents of the Falkland have the right to decide to which country they belong or form their own independent nation. If they choose to be British we have a duty to protect them, if that means deploying nuclear weapons then so be it.
You need to realise Britons built 'the bomb' and dropping both types on Japan saved lives, not in the sense that a conventional invasion would have cost more lives but someone was going to use a nuclear weapon somewhere and mankind needed a demonstration of what they can do.

Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<s7vvne$hnb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=693&group=uk.rec.cycling#693

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 10:00:35 +0100
 by: soup - Tue, 18 May 2021 09:00 UTC

On 18/05/2021 09:31, Mike Collins wrote:

> I believe in independence. The residents of the Falkland have the right to decide to which country they belong or form their own independent nation. If they choose to be British we have a duty to protect them, if that means deploying nuclear weapons then so be it.

And burn the whole world (including Britain and the Falkland islands )?

> You need to realise Britons built 'the bomb' .

We did? Certainly we have our own now but initialy "wasn't us guv".
We did have scientists involved in the "Manhattan project" but it could
hardly be said to be a British invention.

Usually Oppenheimer is thought of as the 'daddy' of the atom bomb,
from an idea by Einstein

and dropping both types on Japan

I was under the impression that was the septics [1] and "little boy" and
"fat man" had come out of the "Manhattan project".

saved lives, not in the sense that a conventional invasion would have
cost more lives but someone was going to use a nuclear weapon somewhere
and mankind needed a demonstration of what they can do.
The merits(or otherwise) of Nuclear weapons are a whole other
discussion.

Whether they ended WWII or an invasion would have been costlier in
lives also seems to be a favourite topic for discussion'.

[1]
Well the British thought of the 'MP' as a joint project whilst the
septics thought it was all them

Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<s80023$jor$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=694&group=uk.rec.cycling#694

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 10:06:16 +0100
 by: soup - Tue, 18 May 2021 09:06 UTC

On 18/05/2021 10:00, soup wrote:
> On 18/05/2021 09:31, Mike Collins wrote:
>

>> I believe in independence. The residents of the Falkland have the
>> right to decide to which country they belong or form their own
>> independent nation. If they choose to be British we have a duty to
>> protect them, if that means deploying nuclear weapons then so be it.
>
> And burn the whole world (including Britain and the Falkland islands )?
>

>> You need to realise Britons built 'the bomb' .
>
> We did? Certainly we have our own now but initialy "wasn't us guv".
> We did have scientists involved in the "Manhattan project" but it could
> hardly be said to be a British invention.
>
>   Usually Oppenheimer is thought of as the 'daddy' of the atom bomb,
> from an idea by Einstein
>

> and dropping both types on Japan
>
> I was under the impression that was the septics [1] and "little boy" and
> "fat man" had come out of the "Manhattan project".
>

> saved lives, not in the sense that a conventional invasion would have
> cost more lives but someone was going to use a nuclear weapon somewhere
> and mankind needed a demonstration of what they can do.
> The merits(or otherwise) of Nuclear weapons are a whole other
> discussion.
>
>     Whether they ended WWII or an invasion would have been costlier in
> lives  also seems to be a favourite topic for discussion'.
>

> [1]
>  Well the British thought of the 'MP' as a joint project whilst the
> septics thought it was all them

Not my best effort(but then it was a bit 'stream of consciousness'),
but if you can work your way through the non-quoting and bad formatting
the idea is there.

Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<ee8a309e-dde6-4ed4-baae-59d4012feb9bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=695&group=uk.rec.cycling#695

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 02:39:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 18 May 2021 09:39 UTC

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 8:28:48 PM UTC+1, soup wrote:
> On 17/05/2021 20:17, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 8:12:21 PM UTC+1, soup wrote:
> >
> >> Still it is pretty much the default position of Simon to take the
> >> cyclists side even if all the salient facts go unreported
> >
> > I think you'll find that I posted the item with no personal comments and it was published not on the "biased" Road.cc, but in the Helensburgh Advertiser.
> >
> If you didn't agree with the tone of the article why post at all?
> Wouldn't have thought a denizen of Hull would be reading the Helensburgh
> advertiser just out of interest of what was happening just north of Glasgow

I read cycling related articles from many sources.

Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<s8030s$6ec$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=697&group=uk.rec.cycling#697

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 10:56:50 +0100
 by: soup - Tue, 18 May 2021 09:56 UTC

On 18/05/2021 10:39, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 8:28:48 PM UTC+1, soup wrote:

>>> I think you'll find that I posted the item with no personal comments and it was published not on the "biased" Road.cc, but in the Helensburgh Advertiser.
>>>
>> If you didn't agree with the tone of the article why post at all?
>> Wouldn't have thought a denizen of Hull would be reading the Helensburgh
>> advertiser just out of interest of what was happening just north of Glasgow
>
> I read cycling related articles from many sources.

Was he riding a bike or drinking water/catching his breath/winding up
the guard ?

Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<53d70fb0-b03b-491d-bf35-01c60d793249n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=698&group=uk.rec.cycling#698

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 03:04:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Tue, 18 May 2021 10:04 UTC

On Tuesday, 18 May 2021 at 10:00:31 UTC+1, soup wrote:
> On 18/05/2021 09:31, Mike Collins wrote:
>

> > I believe in independence. The residents of the Falkland have the right to decide to which country they belong or form their own independent nation. If they choose to be British we have a duty to protect them, if that means deploying nuclear weapons then so be it.
> And burn the whole world (including Britain and the Falkland islands )?
>

> > You need to realise Britons built 'the bomb' .
>
> We did? Certainly we have our own now but initialy "wasn't us guv".
> We did have scientists involved in the "Manhattan project" but it could
> hardly be said to be a British invention.
>
> Usually Oppenheimer is thought of as the 'daddy' of the atom bomb,
> from an idea by Einstein
> and dropping both types on Japan
> I was under the impression that was the septics [1] and "little boy" and
> "fat man" had come out of the "Manhattan project".
> saved lives, not in the sense that a conventional invasion would have
> cost more lives but someone was going to use a nuclear weapon somewhere
> and mankind needed a demonstration of what they can do.
> The merits(or otherwise) of Nuclear weapons are a whole other
> discussion.
>
> Whether they ended WWII or an invasion would have been costlier in
> lives also seems to be a favourite topic for discussion'.
>

> [1]
> Well the British thought of the 'MP' as a joint project whilst the
> septics thought it was all them

The point is someone was going to deploy an atomic weapon on someone sometime. Better it was atomic rather than nuclear. Leftpondians almost blew themselves up with the first fusion weapon by underestimating the power of Lithium.

Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<cc3150cc-9703-4e5b-a1fd-9c29419059acn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=699&group=uk.rec.cycling#699

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 03:20:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Tue, 18 May 2021 10:20 UTC

On Tuesday, 18 May 2021 at 10:00:31 UTC+1, soup wrote:
> On 18/05/2021 09:31, Mike Collins wrote:
>

> > I believe in independence. The residents of the Falkland have the right to decide to which country they belong or form their own independent nation. If they choose to be British we have a duty to protect them, if that means deploying nuclear weapons then so be it.
> And burn the whole world (including Britain and the Falkland islands )?

When fusion bombs were invented it was believed this was a real possibility.. They could set off a chain reaction that would fuse all the atmospheric Hydrogen to Helium. And yes I am aware fusion bombs use fission bombs to generate the X-rays necessary to start the fusion reaction.

Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<ighvmjFrc2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=701&group=uk.rec.cycling#701

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 15:01:55 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 18 May 2021 14:01 UTC

On 18/05/2021 04:40 am, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 May 2021 at 01:14:17 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

>>> Does it matter?

>> If it didn't, would the usual suspects (including you) mention the word
>> "nuclear" at all?
>
> It does not change the fact that we are the only nation to have used a nuclear submarine in anger. I doubt the blunderment would have informed you if Conqueror was carrying nuclear weapons.

Only the UK's Polaris and Trident submarines carry, or have ever
carried, nuclear weapons. Even you probably know that they do not enter
local theatres of war or conflict for tactical purposes. Their use and
deployment are completely strategic.

> Buenos Aires should be a radioactive glass crater.

What is a "nuclear submarine"?

If your PC is powered by electricity from a nuclear power station, has
it become a nuclear computer?

Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<ighvprFrc2U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=702&group=uk.rec.cycling#702

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 15:03:39 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 18 May 2021 14:03 UTC

On 18/05/2021 09:31 am, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 May 2021 at 08:01:05 UTC+1, soup wrote:
>> On 18/05/2021 04:40, Mike Collins wrote:
>>

>>> It does not change the fact that we are the only nation to have used a nuclear submarine in anger.
>> True but you were the one saying the peace camp was there ONLY because
>> of Nuclear weapons. Then mention 'our' use of Nuclear power . Seems a
>> very strong statement to me that you believed Conqueror had these
>> nuclear weapons onboard.
>
> What I meant was if we did not have our own nuclear deterrent the protesters would be in a gulag.
>
>>> I doubt the blunderment would have informed you if Conqueror was carrying nuclear weapons.
>> AFAIK Conqueror could only launch out her torpedo tubes there is no
>> TT launched nuclear device in existence . The Americans did have a
>> nuclear torpedo back in the 50s but it was so large and seldom was a
>> nuclear warhead required that it was soon discontinued.
>
> Russia also had a nuclear torpedo and captains were released from senior command after Cuba.
>

>> Subs that launch nuclear missiles (Poseidon and such) have vertical
>> launch tubes (a completely different design to Conqueror).
>>> Buenos Aires should be a radioactive glass crater.
>> I severely doubt Buenos Aires would get nuked it would end in the whole
>> world Nuking everything in sight .
>
> I believe in independence. The residents of the Falkland have the right to decide to which country they belong or form their own independent nation. If they choose to be British we have a duty to protect them, if that means deploying nuclear weapons then so be it.
> You need to realise Britons built 'the bomb' and dropping both types on Japan saved lives, not in the sense that a conventional invasion would have cost more lives but someone was going to use a nuclear weapon somewhere and mankind needed a demonstration of what they can do.

Your grasp of recent history seems... tenuous.

Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<ighvs8Frc2U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=703&group=uk.rec.cycling#703

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 15:04:56 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 18 May 2021 14:04 UTC

On 18/05/2021 11:04 am, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 May 2021 at 10:00:31 UTC+1, soup wrote:
>> On 18/05/2021 09:31, Mike Collins wrote:
>>

>>> I believe in independence. The residents of the Falkland have the right to decide to which country they belong or form their own independent nation. If they choose to be British we have a duty to protect them, if that means deploying nuclear weapons then so be it.
>> And burn the whole world (including Britain and the Falkland islands )?
>>

>>> You need to realise Britons built 'the bomb' .
>>
>> We did? Certainly we have our own now but initialy "wasn't us guv".
>> We did have scientists involved in the "Manhattan project" but it could
>> hardly be said to be a British invention.
>>
>> Usually Oppenheimer is thought of as the 'daddy' of the atom bomb,
>> from an idea by Einstein
>> and dropping both types on Japan
>> I was under the impression that was the septics [1] and "little boy" and
>> "fat man" had come out of the "Manhattan project".
>> saved lives, not in the sense that a conventional invasion would have
>> cost more lives but someone was going to use a nuclear weapon somewhere
>> and mankind needed a demonstration of what they can do.
>> The merits(or otherwise) of Nuclear weapons are a whole other
>> discussion.
>>
>> Whether they ended WWII or an invasion would have been costlier in
>> lives also seems to be a favourite topic for discussion'.
>>

>> [1]
>> Well the British thought of the 'MP' as a joint project whilst the
>> septics thought it was all them
>
> The point is someone was going to deploy an atomic weapon on someone sometime. Better it was atomic rather than nuclear. Leftpondians almost blew themselves up with the first fusion weapon by underestimating the power of Lithium.

"Better it was atomic rather than nuclear".

Re: MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

<1af2efbd-b157-49a6-bbb8-0001c013a0abn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=704&group=uk.rec.cycling#704

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 08:47:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Tue, 18 May 2021 15:47 UTC

On Tuesday, 18 May 2021 at 15:04:58 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
> On 18/05/2021 11:04 am, Mike Collins wrote:

> >> And burn the whole world (including Britain and the Falkland islands )?

> >> We did? Certainly we have our own now but initialy "wasn't us guv".
> >> We did have scientists involved in the "Manhattan project" but it could
> >> hardly be said to be a British invention.
> >>
> >> Usually Oppenheimer is thought of as the 'daddy' of the atom bomb,
> >> from an idea by Einstein
> >> and dropping both types on Japan
> >> I was under the impression that was the septics [1] and "little boy" and
> >> "fat man" had come out of the "Manhattan project".
> >> saved lives, not in the sense that a conventional invasion would have
> >> cost more lives but someone was going to use a nuclear weapon somewhere
> >> and mankind needed a demonstration of what they can do.
> >> The merits(or otherwise) of Nuclear weapons are a whole other
> >> discussion.
> >>
> >> Whether they ended WWII or an invasion would have been costlier in
> >> lives also seems to be a favourite topic for discussion'.
> >>

> >> [1]
> >> Well the British thought of the 'MP' as a joint project whilst the
> >> septics thought it was all them
> >
> > The point is someone was going to deploy an atomic weapon on someone sometime. Better it was atomic rather than nuclear. Leftpondians almost blew themselves up with the first fusion weapon by underestimating the power of Lithium.
>
> "Better it was atomic rather than nuclear".

Is there a point you are failing to make?

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base