From: Dav...@invalid.invalid (DavidK)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: OT Scam and Spam
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 10:54:18 +0000
 by: DavidK - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 10:54 UTC

Today I received a message on my burner phone saying that someone had
tried to deliver a parcel and if I want to track it I should download
this app. Needless to say, I didn't.

Mil has recently received a phone call saying her bank account has been
compromised and she should transfer her money to another. She had severe
doubts but found it so convincing that it worried her excessively. She
says that they knew exactly how much was in her account and details of
her daughter's account*.

I also read this and it amused me
<https://www.nature.com/articles/4361206a>

*I'm guessing, but I understand from Jim Browning, that the dialogue
often says that a bank teller is complicit in some fraud so the victim
should tell the bank-teller, if asked, that it is being transferred to a
daughter's account to be a deposit for flat-rent or mortgage. I suspect
that mil was told this and has become confused.

Jim Browning. <https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jim+browning+>