I marvel at the strength of human weakness.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: Seen in the wild - number formating

SubjectAuthor
* Seen in the wild - number formatingKerr-Mudd, John
+* Seen in the wild - number formatingAhem A Rivet's Shot
|+* Seen in the wild - number formatingTony Cooper
||`- Seen in the wild - number formatingAhem A Rivet's Shot
|`* Seen in the wild - number formatingmaus
| `- Seen in the wild - number formatingAhem A Rivet's Shot
`* Seen in the wild - number formatingmaus
 +* Seen in the wild - number formatingRichard Robinson
 |`* Seen in the wild - number formatingmaus
 | +* Seen in the wild - number formatingRichard Robinson
 | |`* Seen in the wild - number formatingSam Plusnet
 | | +* Seen in the wild - number formatingNicholas D. Richards
 | | |`- Seen in the wild - number formatingTone
 | | `- Seen in the wild - number formatingRichard Robinson
 | `- Seen in the wild - number formatingNicholas D. Richards
 `- Seen in the wild - number formatingMike Fleming

1
Re: Seen in the wild - number formating

<20220104172602.345a803c7bf5db26ac70d874@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6674&group=uk.rec.sheds#6674

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Seen in the wild - number formating
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 17:26:02 +0000
<sqtgre$utm$1@dont-email.me>
<j3g4h8F8tnnU1@mid.individual.net>
<59a4f94b54charles@candehope.me.uk>
<3t16tg57j6bpmilj752qjnq6sjin8r3uho@4ax.com>
<j3ghpgFbcqmU1@mid.individual.net>
<sr01da$vjs$1@dont-email.me>
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 17:26 UTC

On Tue, 4 Jan 2022 10:38:14 +1100
Peter Moylan <peter@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

> On 04/01/22 02:07, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> > On 2022-01-03 14:31:54 +0000, Ruud Harmsen said:
>
> >> The UK is officially metric now, although in practice you mileage
> >> may vary. In 1999 or so in Ireland (officially metric for years
> >> already) they had speed limits in both miles and kilometers here
> >> and there, and you were supposed to deduct from context which was
> >> which. 30 in a town probably meant 50 km/h, 50 on a rural road
> >> meant 80 km/s.
> >
> > In 1990 or so we went with a colleague in a car that he had rented
> > at Cork airport to Killarney. We found it extremely difficult to
> > decide whether the signs were in km or miles. The car itself had a
> > gauge of course, but again, it wasn't clear what it was measuring.
>
> Ireland is not strong on road signs. A lot of roads don't even have
> names, or if they do have them there's no signage to say what the name
> is, which is no fun if you're trying to find someone's house. You just
> have to use your intuition, or stop frequently and ask the locals for
> directions.
>
> A notable feature of driving west from Cork is that past a certain point
> in West Cork all the English-language signs disappear. Although at some
> places popular with tourists you do get multilingual signs asking you to
> drive on the left.

You'll (see what I did there?) be needing an Irish resident to help out on that.

xposted to ye shedde, as there is a personage of that ilk who might chip in.

For xposters: beware S K, Baramjee (sp?) and of course all incarnations of Peeler.
PTD is erm a local celebrity.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Seen in the wild - number formating

<20220104192905.9a195bc3897765935a52a2c3@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6680&group=uk.rec.sheds#6680

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 19:29:05 +0000
<sqtgre$utm$1@dont-email.me>
<j3g4h8F8tnnU1@mid.individual.net>
<59a4f94b54charles@candehope.me.uk>
<3t16tg57j6bpmilj752qjnq6sjin8r3uho@4ax.com>
<j3ghpgFbcqmU1@mid.individual.net>
<sr01da$vjs$1@dont-email.me>
<20220104172602.345a803c7bf5db26ac70d874@127.0.0.1>
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 19:29 UTC

On Tue, 4 Jan 2022 17:26:02 +0000
"Kerr-Mudd, John" <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Jan 2022 10:38:14 +1100
> Peter Moylan <peter@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

> > > In 1990 or so we went with a colleague in a car that he had rented
> > > at Cork airport to Killarney. We found it extremely difficult to
> > > decide whether the signs were in km or miles. The car itself had a
> > > gauge of course, but again, it wasn't clear what it was measuring.

Ah yes around that time most of the distance signs were in km but
the speed limit signs were all in mph, not that you wouldn't find the
occasional old distance sign in miles but they were all supposed to be in
km.

The speed limit signs remained in mph until 20 January 2005 when
every speed limit sign in the country was changed overnight - seriously I
have yet to see one they missed. I was astonished.

> > Ireland is not strong on road signs. A lot of roads don't even have

There is a fad that passes through from time to time for rotating
road signs so that they point in incorrect directions - this causes
tourists to visit all sorts of unintended places.

Another favourite road sign habit becomes apparent when you've been
following signs to some small town and you reach a T junction in the middle
of nowhere. There's a sign alright but neither leg mentions your
destination or anything you can find on the map. When a tractor passes you
may understand a word or two the helpful driver says[1] in response to your
request for directions.

> > names, or if they do have them there's no signage to say what the name

Oh they do have names, often they have several names most of them
only known to a few. Many round here were surprised to find that the road
known to most of us as "The Dale Road" (or "The Bog Road" but there are a
lot of them) was known to the local council as "The Rathscannel Road".

> > is, which is no fun if you're trying to find someone's house. You just
> > have to use your intuition, or stop frequently and ask the locals for
> > directions.

House addresses don't usually mention the road or a house number
(except in cities where they have things like that) usually just the
occupant's name and the townland (mine is about 350 hectares) is enough for
the postman.

> > A notable feature of driving west from Cork is that past a certain point
> > in West Cork all the English-language signs disappear. Although at some

You've entered the Gaeltacht where they pretend^Wprefer not to speak
English - TBF some really don't speak English.

> You'll (see what I did there?) be needing an Irish resident to help out
> on that.
>
> xposted to ye shedde, as there is a personage of that ilk who might chip
> in.

Hi there, welcome to ye shedde, pull up a bloo circle bag and mind
your cardie on the nail.

[1] Oh if you're going there you don't want to be starting from here but
let's see now there's the quick way or the easy way ...

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Seen in the wild - number formating

<8499tgtnv83jiqbnsmlirgrsihlbaogj5j@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6681&group=uk.rec.sheds#6681

From: tonycoop...@gmail.com (Tony Cooper)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 14:58:16 -0500
References: <24bd31bb-e6fb-4d74-925a-a1544a574adcn@googlegroups.com> <sqo8v7$dq6$1@dont-email.me> <sqrujh$vi0$1@dont-email.me> <rYlAJ.1195231$xalc.1066813@fx12.ams1> <sqtgre$utm$1@dont-email.me> <j3g4h8F8tnnU1@mid.individual.net> <59a4f94b54charles@candehope.me.uk> <3t16tg57j6bpmilj752qjnq6sjin8r3uho@4ax.com> <j3ghpgFbcqmU1@mid.individual.net> <sr01da$vjs$1@dont-email.me> <20220104172602.345a803c7bf5db26ac70d874@127.0.0.1> <20220104192905.9a195bc3897765935a52a2c3@eircom.net>
 by: Tony Cooper - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 19:58 UTC

On Tue, 4 Jan 2022 19:29:05 +0000, Ahem A Rivet's Shot
<steveo@eircom.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 4 Jan 2022 17:26:02 +0000
>"Kerr-Mudd, John" <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 4 Jan 2022 10:38:14 +1100
>> Peter Moylan <peter@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

> Ah yes around that time most of the distance signs were in km but
>the speed limit signs were all in mph, not that you wouldn't find the
>occasional old distance sign in miles but they were all supposed to be in
>km.
>
> The speed limit signs remained in mph until 20 January 2005 when
>every speed limit sign in the country was changed overnight - seriously I
>have yet to see one they missed. I was astonished.
>
>> > Ireland is not strong on road signs. A lot of roads don't even have
>
> There is a fad that passes through from time to time for rotating
>road signs so that they point in incorrect directions - this causes
>tourists to visit all sorts of unintended places.
>
> Another favourite road sign habit becomes apparent when you've been
>following signs to some small town and you reach a T junction in the middle
>of nowhere. There's a sign alright but neither leg mentions your
>destination or anything you can find on the map. When a tractor passes you
>may understand a word or two the helpful driver says[1] in response to your
>request for directions.
>
>> > names, or if they do have them there's no signage to say what the name
>
> Oh they do have names, often they have several names most of them
>only known to a few. Many round here were surprised to find that the road
>known to most of us as "The Dale Road" (or "The Bog Road" but there are a
>lot of them) was known to the local council as "The Rathscannel Road".
>
>> > is, which is no fun if you're trying to find someone's house. You just
>> > have to use your intuition, or stop frequently and ask the locals for
>> > directions.
>
> House addresses don't usually mention the road or a house number
>(except in cities where they have things like that) usually just the
>occupant's name and the townland (mine is about 350 hectares) is enough for
>the postman.
>
>> > A notable feature of driving west from Cork is that past a certain point
>> > in West Cork all the English-language signs disappear. Although at some
>
> You've entered the Gaeltacht where they pretend^Wprefer not to speak
>English - TBF some really don't speak English.
>
>> You'll (see what I did there?) be needing an Irish resident to help out
>> on that.
>>
>> xposted to ye shedde, as there is a personage of that ilk who might chip
>> in.
>
> Hi there, welcome to ye shedde, pull up a bloo circle bag and mind
>your cardie on the nail.
>
>[1] Oh if you're going there you don't want to be starting from here but
>let's see now there's the quick way or the easy way ...

A photograph taken in Ireland in 1984. Someone who can figure out
what the units were, and is familiar with the area, can probably
figure out where I was when I was 17 1/4 units from Galway and 5 units
from Kinvera. Probably on the M67 north of Dunguaire Castle.

https://folio.ink/EQhQiW
--

Tony Cooper Orlando Florida

Re: Seen in the wild - number formating

<20220104200426.44da1223a5cce13137394331@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6682&group=uk.rec.sheds#6682

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 20:04:26 +0000
<20220104172602.345a803c7bf5db26ac70d874@127.0.0.1>
<20220104192905.9a195bc3897765935a52a2c3@eircom.net>
<8499tgtnv83jiqbnsmlirgrsihlbaogj5j@4ax.com>
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 20:04 UTC

On Tue, 04 Jan 2022 14:58:16 -0500
Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote:

> A photograph taken in Ireland in 1984. Someone who can figure out
> what the units were, and is familiar with the area, can probably
> figure out where I was when I was 17 1/4 units from Galway and 5 units
> from Kinvera. Probably on the M67 north of Dunguaire Castle.

Those are probably miles judging by the age and condition of the
sign - also the 1/4s are a bit of a giveaway.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Seen in the wild - number formating

<slrnste7h3.8kl.maus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6714&group=uk.rec.sheds#6714

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 6 Jan 2022 16:51:47 GMT
<sqiri3$7up$3@dont-email.me> <j34in6F2lkuU4@mid.individual.net>
<bba96697-2242-497c-a990-07e764312f3fn@googlegroups.com>
<230f8b87-03ac-48db-836a-c49a7c1c805fn@googlegroups.com>
<sqleel$ro8$1@dont-email.me>
<24bd31bb-e6fb-4d74-925a-a1544a574adcn@googlegroups.com>
<sqo8v7$dq6$1@dont-email.me> <sqrujh$vi0$1@dont-email.me>
<rYlAJ.1195231$xalc.1066813@fx12.ams1> <sqtgre$utm$1@dont-email.me>
<j3g4h8F8tnnU1@mid.individual.net> <59a4f94b54charles@candehope.me.uk>
<3t16tg57j6bpmilj752qjnq6sjin8r3uho@4ax.com>
<j3ghpgFbcqmU1@mid.individual.net> <sr01da$vjs$1@dont-email.me>
<20220104172602.345a803c7bf5db26ac70d874@127.0.0.1>
 by: maus - Thu, 6 Jan 2022 16:51 UTC

On 2022-01-04, Kerr-Mudd, John <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2022 10:38:14 +1100
> Peter Moylan <peter@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

>> > In 1990 or so we went with a colleague in a car that he had rented
>> > at Cork airport to Killarney. We found it extremely difficult to
>> > decide whether the signs were in km or miles. The car itself had a
>> > gauge of course, but again, it wasn't clear what it was measuring.
>>
>> Ireland is not strong on road signs. A lot of roads don't even have
>> names, or if they do have them there's no signage to say what the name
>> is, which is no fun if you're trying to find someone's house. You just
>> have to use your intuition, or stop frequently and ask the locals for
>> directions.
>>
>> A notable feature of driving west from Cork is that past a certain point
>> in West Cork all the English-language signs disappear. Although at some
>> places popular with tourists you do get multilingual signs asking you to
>> drive on the left.

Once, at some time in recent 100 years, after the british left this end
of the country, there were parts still with a majority Gaelic speaking
people, and the new Irish goverment defined them as special areas, and
wanted the whole country to become Gaelic Speaking. THose areas have
shrank since, instead of expanding, so there are places where the signs
are in Gaelic, wheras the people mostly have changed to speaking Englis.

Anyone interested in it can ask, most of us use what language we find
useful, Up North, where they lurrve something to argue about, the Gaelic
Language is still popular with some of the population, while the other
lot are falling in love with `Lallans'.

Polite people do not talk about the subject.

> You'll (see what I did there?) be needing an Irish resident to help out on that.
>
> xposted to ye shedde, as there is a personage of that ilk who might chip in.
>
> For xposters: beware S K, Baramjee (sp?) and of course all incarnations of Peeler.
> PTD is erm a local celebrity.

Re: Seen in the wild - number formating

<slrnste8k2.8kl.maus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6716&group=uk.rec.sheds#6716

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 6 Jan 2022 17:10:26 GMT
<sqiri3$7up$3@dont-email.me> <j34in6F2lkuU4@mid.individual.net>
<bba96697-2242-497c-a990-07e764312f3fn@googlegroups.com>
<230f8b87-03ac-48db-836a-c49a7c1c805fn@googlegroups.com>
<sqleel$ro8$1@dont-email.me>
<24bd31bb-e6fb-4d74-925a-a1544a574adcn@googlegroups.com>
<sqo8v7$dq6$1@dont-email.me> <sqrujh$vi0$1@dont-email.me>
<rYlAJ.1195231$xalc.1066813@fx12.ams1> <sqtgre$utm$1@dont-email.me>
<j3g4h8F8tnnU1@mid.individual.net> <59a4f94b54charles@candehope.me.uk>
<3t16tg57j6bpmilj752qjnq6sjin8r3uho@4ax.com>
<j3ghpgFbcqmU1@mid.individual.net> <sr01da$vjs$1@dont-email.me>
<20220104172602.345a803c7bf5db26ac70d874@127.0.0.1>
<20220104192905.9a195bc3897765935a52a2c3@eircom.net>
 by: maus - Thu, 6 Jan 2022 17:10 UTC

On 2022-01-04, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2022 17:26:02 +0000
> "Kerr-Mudd, John" <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 4 Jan 2022 10:38:14 +1100
>> Peter Moylan <peter@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

> Ah yes around that time most of the distance signs were in km but
> the speed limit signs were all in mph, not that you wouldn't find the
> occasional old distance sign in miles but they were all supposed to be in
> km.
>
> The speed limit signs remained in mph until 20 January 2005 when
> every speed limit sign in the country was changed overnight - seriously I
> have yet to see one they missed. I was astonished.
>
>> > Ireland is not strong on road signs. A lot of roads don't even have
>
> There is a fad that passes through from time to time for rotating
> road signs so that they point in incorrect directions - this causes
> tourists to visit all sorts of unintended places.

aI know of at least two places where the road signs have two panels
pointing towards the same destination, but on different roads, one in Waterford,
and anothere in West Cork. Up North, things are defined slightly
different different. Once, most Irish people lived in small villages,
rather than towns.

There was a story of a man stopping on a Road in kerry and asking for
directions, and was told to go back where he started and try again.

Re: Seen in the wild - number formating

<20220106175015.10b26d193eba3f6d41e735af@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6721&group=uk.rec.sheds#6721

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 17:50:15 +0000
<sqtgre$utm$1@dont-email.me>
<j3g4h8F8tnnU1@mid.individual.net>
<59a4f94b54charles@candehope.me.uk>
<3t16tg57j6bpmilj752qjnq6sjin8r3uho@4ax.com>
<j3ghpgFbcqmU1@mid.individual.net>
<sr01da$vjs$1@dont-email.me>
<20220104172602.345a803c7bf5db26ac70d874@127.0.0.1>
<20220104192905.9a195bc3897765935a52a2c3@eircom.net>
<slrnste8k2.8kl.maus@dmaus.org>
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 6 Jan 2022 17:50 UTC

On 6 Jan 2022 17:10:26 GMT
maus <maus@dmaus.org> wrote:

> aI know of at least two places where the road signs have two panels
> pointing towards the same destination, but on different roads, one in
> Waterford, and anothere in West Cork. Up North, things are defined

There's another in Limerick - two exits of one roundabout both
lead to Tralee one via Adare the other via Tarbert.

> There was a story of a man stopping on a Road in kerry and asking for
> directions, and was told to go back where he started and try again.

Yep that sounds likely, probably the right advice too.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Seen in the wild - number formating

<rPSdnck22NwW60T8nZ2dnUU78SednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6736&group=uk.rec.sheds#6736

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 05:33:31 -0600
 by: Richard Robinson - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 11:33 UTC

maus said:
> On 2022-01-04, Kerr-Mudd, John <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>> Peter Moylan <peter@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

>>> Ireland is not strong on road signs. A lot of roads don't even have
>>> names, or if they do have them there's no signage to say what the name
>>> is, which is no fun if you're trying to find someone's house. You just
>>> have to use your intuition, or stop frequently and ask the locals for
>>> directions.
>>>
>>> A notable feature of driving west from Cork is that past a certain point
>>> in West Cork all the English-language signs disappear. Although at some
>>> places popular with tourists you do get multilingual signs asking you to
>>> drive on the left.
>

> Once, at some time in recent 100 years, after the british left this end
> of the country, there were parts still with a majority Gaelic speaking
> people, and the new Irish goverment defined them as special areas, and
> wanted the whole country to become Gaelic Speaking. THose areas have
> shrank since, instead of expanding, so there are places where the signs
> are in Gaelic, wheras the people mostly have changed to speaking Englis.
>
> Anyone interested in it can ask, most of us use what language we find
> useful, Up North, where they lurrve something to argue about, the Gaelic
> Language is still popular with some of the population, while the other
> lot are falling in love with `Lallans'.
>
> Polite people do not talk about the subject.

Not even in Russian ?

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Seen in the wild - number formating

<slrnstjkj7.76j.maus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6744&group=uk.rec.sheds#6744

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 8 Jan 2022 18:05:27 GMT
<sqiri3$7up$3@dont-email.me> <j34in6F2lkuU4@mid.individual.net>
<bba96697-2242-497c-a990-07e764312f3fn@googlegroups.com>
<230f8b87-03ac-48db-836a-c49a7c1c805fn@googlegroups.com>
<sqleel$ro8$1@dont-email.me>
<24bd31bb-e6fb-4d74-925a-a1544a574adcn@googlegroups.com>
<sqo8v7$dq6$1@dont-email.me> <sqrujh$vi0$1@dont-email.me>
<rYlAJ.1195231$xalc.1066813@fx12.ams1> <sqtgre$utm$1@dont-email.me>
<j3g4h8F8tnnU1@mid.individual.net> <59a4f94b54charles@candehope.me.uk>
<3t16tg57j6bpmilj752qjnq6sjin8r3uho@4ax.com>
<j3ghpgFbcqmU1@mid.individual.net> <sr01da$vjs$1@dont-email.me>
<20220104172602.345a803c7bf5db26ac70d874@127.0.0.1>
<slrnste7h3.8kl.maus@dmaus.org>
<rPSdnck22NwW60T8nZ2dnUU78SednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
 by: maus - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 18:05 UTC

On 2022-01-08, Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> wrote:
> maus said:

>> Anyone interested in it can ask, most of us use what language we find
>> useful, Up North, where they lurrve something to argue about, the Gaelic
>> Language is still popular with some of the population, while the other
>> lot are falling in love with `Lallans'.
>>
>> Polite people do not talk about the subject.
>
> Not even in Russian ?

russian or ukranian?

Re: Seen in the wild - number formating

<j3ubltFq9lU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6749&group=uk.rec.sheds#6749

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 20:48:59 +0000
<sqo8v7$dq6$1@dont-email.me> <sqrujh$vi0$1@dont-email.me>
<rYlAJ.1195231$xalc.1066813@fx12.ams1> <sqtgre$utm$1@dont-email.me>
<j3g4h8F8tnnU1@mid.individual.net> <59a4f94b54charles@candehope.me.uk>
<3t16tg57j6bpmilj752qjnq6sjin8r3uho@4ax.com>
<j3ghpgFbcqmU1@mid.individual.net> <sr01da$vjs$1@dont-email.me>
<20220104172602.345a803c7bf5db26ac70d874@127.0.0.1>
<slrnste7h3.8kl.maus@dmaus.org>
 by: Mike Fleming - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 20:48 UTC

On 06/01/2022 16:51, maus wrote:

> Once, at some time in recent 100 years, after the british left this end
> of the country, there were parts still with a majority Gaelic speaking
> people, and the new Irish goverment defined them as special areas, and
> wanted the whole country to become Gaelic Speaking. THose areas have
> shrank since, instead of expanding, so there are places where the signs
> are in Gaelic, wheras the people mostly have changed to speaking Englis.
>
> Anyone interested in it can ask, most of us use what language we find
> useful, Up North, where they lurrve something to argue about, the Gaelic
> Language is still popular with some of the population, while the other
> lot are falling in love with `Lallans'.
>
> Polite people do not talk about the subject.

My mum, who was from Cork, was taught Gaelic at fpubby (born 1929) but
by the time I got round to talking to her about it (somewhere around
1970) she'd forgotten it all. I think the only sentence she remembered
was the Gaelic for "one black beetle knows another black beetle",
possibly because it was appropriate for the city that the Volkswagen
plant was close to (but probably not).

Re: Seen in the wild - number formating

<CaydnZQU6PALI0f8nZ2dnUU78IXNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6752&group=uk.rec.sheds#6752

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 04:53:10 -0600
 by: Richard Robinson - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 10:53 UTC

maus said:
> On 2022-01-08, Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> wrote:
>> maus said:

>>> Anyone interested in it can ask, most of us use what language we find
>>> useful, Up North, where they lurrve something to argue about, the Gaelic
>>> Language is still popular with some of the population, while the other
>>> lot are falling in love with `Lallans'.
>>>
>>> Polite people do not talk about the subject.
>>
>> Not even in Russian ?
>
> russian or ukranian?

I wouldn't want to speculate as to what language the polite people of Belfast
don't talk in. I'm guessing there'd be more than one.

Which is why I am miming this in Braille.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Seen in the wild - number formating

<ZEvJ5LACes2hFA8W@salmiron.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6754&group=uk.rec.sheds#6754

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 11:31:14 +0000
<sqo8v7$dq6$1@dont-email.me> <sqrujh$vi0$1@dont-email.me>
<rYlAJ.1195231$xalc.1066813@fx12.ams1> <sqtgre$utm$1@dont-email.me>
<j3g4h8F8tnnU1@mid.individual.net> <59a4f94b54charles@candehope.me.uk>
<3t16tg57j6bpmilj752qjnq6sjin8r3uho@4ax.com>
<j3ghpgFbcqmU1@mid.individual.net> <sr01da$vjs$1@dont-email.me>
<20220104172602.345a803c7bf5db26ac70d874@127.0.0.1>
<slrnste7h3.8kl.maus@dmaus.org>
<rPSdnck22NwW60T8nZ2dnUU78SednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<slrnstjkj7.76j.maus@dmaus.org>
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 11:31 UTC

In article <slrnstjkj7.76j.maus@dmaus.org>, maus <maus@dmaus.org> on
Sat, 8 Jan 2022 at 18:05:27 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On 2022-01-08, Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> wrote:
>> maus said:
>>>
>>> Anyone interested in it can ask, most of us use what language we find
>>> useful, Up North, where they lurrve something to argue about, the Gaelic
>>> Language is still popular with some of the population, while the other
>>> lot are falling in love with `Lallans'.
>>>
>>> Polite people do not talk about the subject.
>>
>> Not even in Russian ?
>
>russian or ukranian?

Or an Ersewhile language?

--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Seen in the wild - number formating

<0dJCJ.19979$Fpb6.19544@fx12.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6772&group=uk.rec.sheds#6772

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 22:20:44 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 22:20 UTC

On 09-Jan-22 10:53, Richard Robinson wrote:

> I wouldn't want to speculate as to what language the polite people of Belfast
> don't talk in. I'm guessing there'd be more than one.
>
> Which is why I am miming this in Braille.

That's dotty!

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Seen in the wild - number formating

<S+SrnUA0S22hFAfs@salmiron.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6773&group=uk.rec.sheds#6773

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 22:41:56 +0000
<sqo8v7$dq6$1@dont-email.me> <sqrujh$vi0$1@dont-email.me>
<rYlAJ.1195231$xalc.1066813@fx12.ams1> <sqtgre$utm$1@dont-email.me>
<j3g4h8F8tnnU1@mid.individual.net> <59a4f94b54charles@candehope.me.uk>
<3t16tg57j6bpmilj752qjnq6sjin8r3uho@4ax.com>
<j3ghpgFbcqmU1@mid.individual.net> <sr01da$vjs$1@dont-email.me>
<20220104172602.345a803c7bf5db26ac70d874@127.0.0.1>
<slrnste7h3.8kl.maus@dmaus.org>
<rPSdnck22NwW60T8nZ2dnUU78SednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<slrnstjkj7.76j.maus@dmaus.org>
<CaydnZQU6PALI0f8nZ2dnUU78IXNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<0dJCJ.19979$Fpb6.19544@fx12.ams1>
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 22:41 UTC

In article <0dJCJ.19979$Fpb6.19544@fx12.ams1>, Sam Plusnet
<not@home.com> on Sun, 9 Jan 2022 at 22:20:44 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 09-Jan-22 10:53, Richard Robinson wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't want to speculate as to what language the polite people of Belfast
>> don't talk in. I'm guessing there'd be more than one.
>>
>> Which is why I am miming this in Braille.
>
>That's dotty!

That's impressive.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Seen in the wild - number formating

<srfrls$6hs$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6774&group=uk.rec.sheds#6774

From: ema...@address.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 23:38:36 +0000
<sqo8v7$dq6$1@dont-email.me> <sqrujh$vi0$1@dont-email.me>
<rYlAJ.1195231$xalc.1066813@fx12.ams1> <sqtgre$utm$1@dont-email.me>
<j3g4h8F8tnnU1@mid.individual.net> <59a4f94b54charles@candehope.me.uk>
<3t16tg57j6bpmilj752qjnq6sjin8r3uho@4ax.com>
<j3ghpgFbcqmU1@mid.individual.net> <sr01da$vjs$1@dont-email.me>
<20220104172602.345a803c7bf5db26ac70d874@127.0.0.1>
<slrnste7h3.8kl.maus@dmaus.org>
<rPSdnck22NwW60T8nZ2dnUU78SednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<slrnstjkj7.76j.maus@dmaus.org>
<CaydnZQU6PALI0f8nZ2dnUU78IXNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<0dJCJ.19979$Fpb6.19544@fx12.ams1> <S+SrnUA0S22hFAfs@salmiron.com>
 by: Tone - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 23:38 UTC

On 09/01/2022 22:41, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> In article <0dJCJ.19979$Fpb6.19544@fx12.ams1>, Sam Plusnet
> <not@home.com> on Sun, 9 Jan 2022 at 22:20:44 awoke Nicholas from his
> slumbers and wrote
>> On 09-Jan-22 10:53, Richard Robinson wrote:
>>
>>> I wouldn't want to speculate as to what language the polite people of Belfast
>>> don't talk in. I'm guessing there'd be more than one.
>>>
>>> Which is why I am miming this in Braille.
>>
>> That's dotty!
>>
> That's impressive.

He obviously has a feel for it.

Tone

Re: Seen in the wild - number formating

<SvednYebF_mfi0H8nZ2dnUU78ffNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6777&group=uk.rec.sheds#6777

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 05:18:26 -0600
 by: Richard Robinson - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 11:18 UTC

Sam Plusnet said:
> On 09-Jan-22 10:53, Richard Robinson wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't want to speculate as to what language the polite people of Belfast
>> don't talk in. I'm guessing there'd be more than one.
>>
>> Which is why I am miming this in Braille.
>
> That's dotty!

No, she's the one doing the sign-language.