From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Gatwick Airport: Revamped railway station opens to customers
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 07:59:38 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 07:59 UTC

<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-67473995>
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Gatwick Airport: Revamped railway station opens to customers

<uji2d1$pv46$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=67975&group=uk.railway#67975

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 10:56:33 +0000
 by: Coffee - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 10:56 UTC

On 21/11/2023 07:59, Graeme Wall wrote:
> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-67473995>

It's cleverly designed so that inbound and outbound passenger flows have
to cross each other train side of the barriers.

There is a dearth of signage train side of the barriers resulting in
confused passengers loitering and blocking the flow..

The barriers were programmed to reject all advance tickets when I passed
through in September.

Re: Gatwick Airport: Revamped railway station opens to customers

<cb9plip765vib5hos9g85ofpvreu0br38e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=67976&group=uk.railway#67976

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 12:46:20 +0000
 by: Recliner - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 12:46 UTC

On Tue, 21 Nov 2023 10:56:33 +0000, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:

>On 21/11/2023 07:59, Graeme Wall wrote:
>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-67473995>
>
>It's cleverly designed so that inbound and outbound passenger flows have
>to cross each other train side of the barriers.

It wasn't like that in the old version. The north bridge was used for station access (plane to train), and the south
bridge for station exit (train to plane) passenger movements.

>There is a dearth of signage train side of the barriers resulting in
>confused passengers loitering and blocking the flow..
>
>The barriers were programmed to reject all advance tickets when I passed
>through in September.

Presumably in September it was still a work-in-progress, with the new facilities not yet in use, and possibly access to
some of the old facilities restricted? The new signage wouldn't yet have been in place.

<https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/bigger-and-better-gatwick-airport-station-to-open-on-21-november>

Re: Gatwick Airport: Revamped railway station opens to customers

<s_57N.4$N8H9.1@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=67978&group=uk.railway#67978

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 17:42:48 GMT
 by: Recliner - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 17:42 UTC

Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:
> On 21/11/2023 07:59, Graeme Wall wrote:
>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-67473995>
>
> It's cleverly designed so that inbound and outbound passenger flows have
> to cross each other train side of the barriers.

After doing some more checking, I think only the entry (northern) concourse
was in use when you passed through, temporarily serving as both the entry
and exit concourse. The enlarged southern exit concourse has now re-opened.

> There is a dearth of signage train side of the barriers resulting in
> confused passengers loitering and blocking the flow..

Because normally passengers wouldn't be exiting that way.