From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: doggy afficionados to the bridge IYWBSK
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 15:22:35 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 15:22 UTC

one of my carers offered to take some bacon hock bones for her dog.

ISTR that bones which have been boiled to death for stock are unsuitable
for woofs.

Is this a real hazard fo furry fiends?

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: doggy afficionados to the bridge IYWBSK

<j45mpnFd2j1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6802&group=uk.rec.sheds#6802

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: doggy afficionados to the bridge IYWBSK
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 15:41:42 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 15:41 UTC

On 11/01/2022 15:22, RustyHinge wrote:
> one of my carers offered to take some bacon hock bones for her dog.
>
> ISTR that bones which have been boiled to death for stock are unsuitable
> for woofs.
>
> Is this a real hazard fo furry fiends?

I have a feeling that they can splinter (which is also why chicken bones
are a no-no).

Re: doggy afficionados to the bridge IYWBSK

<srk9sg$n31$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6805&group=uk.rec.sheds#6805

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 16:05:34 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 16:05 UTC

Yes they go brittle and can get stuck in the throat. Bones for dogs should
still have the marrow intact, unfortunately these do tend to smell to human
noses but seem irristable to canines!
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"RustyHinge" <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in message
> one of my carers offered to take some bacon hock bones for her dog.
>
> ISTR that bones which have been boiled to death for stock are unsuitable
> for woofs.
>
> Is this a real hazard fo furry fiends?
>
> --
> Rusty Hinge
> To err is human. To really foul things up requires a computer and the
> BOFH.

Re: doggy afficionados to the bridge IYWBSK

<slrnstubm5.fas.Greymaus@dmaus.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6808&group=uk.rec.sheds#6808

From: Greym...@mail.com (Maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 12 Jan 2022 19:40:53 GMT
 by: Maus - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 19:40 UTC

On 2022-01-11, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
> one of my carers offered to take some bacon hock bones for her dog.
>
> ISTR that bones which have been boiled to death for stock are unsuitable
> for woofs.
>
> Is this a real hazard fo furry fiends?

I believe so. A dog that cannot eat meat?
It seems that they have appeared since the pandemic, as pets for
yuppies. and they need to to be shaved to a certain length of hair.

--
greymausg@mail.com
That's not a mousehole!

Re: doggy afficionados to the bridge IYWBSK

<j48r0iFv2gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6809&group=uk.rec.sheds#6809

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 20:12:00 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 20:12 UTC

On 12/01/2022 19:40, Maus wrote:
> On 2022-01-11, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>> one of my carers offered to take some bacon hock bones for her dog.
>>
>> ISTR that bones which have been boiled to death for stock are unsuitable
>> for woofs.
>>
>> Is this a real hazard fo furry fiends?
>>

> I believe so. A dog that cannot eat meat?
> It seems that they have appeared since the pandemic, as pets for
> yuppies. and they need to to be shaved to a certain length of hair.

Dogs can all eat fresh, raw meat, on or off the bone, with the type
varying on the dog's breed and size. Maggots were or are just added
flavour, in the opinion of my mutt.

The problem is that cooking changes the nature of bones, and while raw
mammal bones break up when chewed in a manner the dog's system can cope
with, cooked and poultry bones splinter, leaving sharp edges, which can
penetrate the membrane round the digestive tract, leading to internal
bleeding and death.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.