Music in the soul can be heard by the universe. -- Lao Tsu

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Storylines and scriptwriters..

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Storylines and scriptwriters..Penny
`* Re: Storylines and scriptwriters..J. P. Gilliver (John)
 +* Re: Storylines and scriptwriters..krw
 |`* Re: Storylines and scriptwriters..John Ashby
 | `- Re: Storylines and scriptwriters..steve hague
 `- Re: Storylines and scriptwriters..Chris

1
Re: Storylines and scriptwriters..

<1qgp1h1v8938ep3ma7hv5hln22od51b32j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6803&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6803

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Storylines and scriptwriters..
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 12:44:31 +0000
 by: Penny - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 12:44 UTC

On Mon, 28 Feb 2022 10:32:05 +0000, Peter Withey <pete@never.here> scrawled
in the dust...

>In another thread Mike McMillan said:
>
>"The S.W.’s have the power so… ‘Let it be so.’"
>
>When I've seen this said about scriptwriters here and in other groups
>I've often wondered - Do they have that power?
>
>I'm sure somerat knows how it works. Is there an "editorial group" who
>decide the storylines? if yes, are the scriptwriters part of it? Or
>are they just given the storylines, if yes, how detailed and asked to
>write the daily episodes?

I think the scriptwriters are only following orders, the editor is to
blame.

I know she's long gone, but in tribute to TNMF, the Beetle must go!
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Storylines and scriptwriters..

<pQSqT2h4FPHiFweZ@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6807&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6807

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 15:59:52 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 15:59 UTC

On Mon, 28 Feb 2022 at 12:44:31, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote
(my responses usually FOLLOW):
[]
>I know she's long gone, but in tribute to TNMF, the Beetle must go!

(-:

Actually, holding onto Nurse did apply: SoC was much worse.

I say it under my breath, but the present team - seem - mostly, OK,
we've had the usual unfunny "funny" scenes, and the apparently
inevitable constant interruptions (though not for a while I think!) - to
be Doing Good. Certainly, _some_ episodes have been very good. I think
the Alky Alice story has on the whole been very believable (granted, the
problem lasts for ever, so we can't say for sure of course).

"Get off my turf!" screamed Pooh, as he shot at Paddington.

Re: Storylines and scriptwriters..

<svkqkr$p7s$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6811&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6811

From: krw...@whitnet.uk (krw)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 09:56:54 +0000
 by: krw - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 09:56 UTC

On 28.2.22 15:59, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> I say it under my breath, but the present team - seem - mostly, OK,
> we've had the usual unfunny "funny" scenes, and the apparently
> inevitable constant interruptions (though not for a while I think!) - to
> be Doing Good.

Regrettably whilst they are doing better than SoC they fall short in my
opinion.

1. An inability to deliver 6 episodes a week.
2. An inability to establish those present in a wireless friendly
manner (exhibited recently when Mia said Jake or some such once and
never again so I had no idea to whom she was speaking).
3. An inability to write and tell stories about "The Archers" - I
comment on this frequently when I spy cast lists
4. An inability not to open up plot holes - the most recent example is
the complete lack of explanation of Stella renting the bungalow.
5. An inability to maintain character consistency - Hannah vanishes for
months and reappears as a reasonable person and she is not alone.
6. An inability to recognise the age and potential limits that imposes
- Kathy not once discussing retirement as an example, Eddie Grundy, 71
as another.
7. Use of completely inappropriate ret-cons - most obviously having
Brian accept dumped chemicals.
8. An inability to continue with countryside activities - most
obviously the trumped up story to get Will out of being a keeper and the
subsequent sidelining of the shoot.

Need I go on?

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Storylines and scriptwriters..

<svksbl$gnr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6814&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6814

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 10:25:57 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 10:25 UTC

On 01/03/2022 09:56, krw wrote:
> On 28.2.22 15:59, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> I say it under my breath, but the present team - seem - mostly, OK,
>> we've had the usual unfunny "funny" scenes, and the apparently
>> inevitable constant interruptions (though not for a while I think!) -
>> to be Doing Good.
>
> Regrettably whilst they are doing better than SoC they fall short in my
> opinion.

[snip]

> 7.  Use of completely inappropriate ret-cons - most obviously having
> Brian accept dumped chemicals.

I can't help feeling that The Archers would do a lot better with Russell
T Davies as showru^Wscript editor.

john

Re: Storylines and scriptwriters..

<svkvk9$17mo$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6816&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6816

From: stevehag...@gmail.com (steve hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 11:21:45 +0000
 by: steve hague - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 11:21 UTC

On 01/03/2022 10:25, John Ashby wrote:
> On 01/03/2022 09:56, krw wrote:
>> On 28.2.22 15:59, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>> I say it under my breath, but the present team - seem - mostly, OK,
>>> we've had the usual unfunny "funny" scenes, and the apparently
>>> inevitable constant interruptions (though not for a while I think!) -
>>> to be Doing Good.
>>
>> Regrettably whilst they are doing better than SoC they fall short in
>> my opinion.
>
> [snip]
>
>> 7.  Use of completely inappropriate ret-cons - most obviously having
>> Brian accept dumped chemicals.
>
> I can't help feeling that The Archers would do a lot better with Russell
> T Davies as showru^Wscript editor.
>
> john

Nah, we need Chris Chibnall.

Re: Storylines and scriptwriters..

<svlios$qif$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6825&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6825

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 16:48:28 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:6wUAisL1IOzN6ISdWeCzQmTZOL0=
 by: Chris - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 16:48 UTC

Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2022 15:59:52 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
> <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Feb 2022 at 12:44:31, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote
>> (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>> []
>>> I know she's long gone, but in tribute to TNMF, the Beetle must go!
>>
>> (-:
>>
>> Actually, holding onto Nurse did apply: SoC was much worse.
>>
>> I say it under my breath, but the present team - seem - mostly, OK,
>> we've had the usual unfunny "funny" scenes, and the apparently
>> inevitable constant interruptions (though not for a while I think!) - to
>> be Doing Good. Certainly, _some_ episodes have been very good. I think
>> the Alky Alice story has on the whole been very believable (granted, the
>> problem lasts for ever, so we can't say for sure of course).
>

> https://twitter.com/BBCTheArchers/status/1497169316868993024?t=uOiRQibnQAb3bb3H5II6SA&s=19&fbclid=IwAR1kcUqVNzi0c9yHnPiyrsIkHtpE49fWS11nJfOlz9USRl-UFlpkwt3r_Ss

Bit vague!

Sincerely Chris