From: krw...@whitnet.uk (krw)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Storylines and scriptwriters..
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 15:00:21 +0000
 by: krw - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 15:00 UTC

On 28.2.22 10:32, Peter Withey wrote:
> In another thread Mike McMillan said:
>
> "The S.W.’s have the power so… ‘Let it be so.’"
>
> When I've seen this said about scriptwriters here and in other groups
> I've often wondered - Do they have that power?
>
> I'm sure somerat knows how it works. Is there an "editorial group" who
> decide the storylines? if yes, are the scriptwriters part of it? Or
> are they just given the storylines, if yes, how detailed and asked to
> write the daily episodes?

According to various books pre-SoC there used to be roughly monthly
meetings of writers, editor and producers at which short and long term
story arcs were pitched by team members and if adopted were then fitted
into a plan. Writer availability is then considered and matched to a
week and the outline of each storyline through that week is considered.
At this point Keri Davies has vast quantities of post-it notes with
one for each scene - and he also given a maximum number of characters.

With an initial script done for the week they they seek to book the cast
needed and if not available some re-writing has to be done to those who
are available.

A producer / storyliner in "the office" but these days probably working
from home (!) keeps the various stories in line and re-edits as necessary.

So there is an editorial group but the editor has the final say on which
stories are used and when.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk