Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 13:05:53 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Motorists worried about new idling fine and how it will be applied
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 21:05 UTC

Moaning polluters.

Many drivers in Gedling borough have not reacted well to news they will face £20 fines for leaving their engines running when the vehicle is stationary.

The fine will increase to £40 if not paid within 28 days.

The anti-idling legislation was given approval at the council's environment and licensing committee yesterday (March 8).

It is said that the legislation will help support the council's Air Quality Action Plan and Climate Change Net Zero work.

However, that did not make many drivers feel better about the proposal.

Motorist Tracey Goddard who is aged 58 and is a childminder from Arnold, told Nottinghamshire Live: “It’s horrendous.

“I have an elderly mum and there’s been times when she runs into the chemist and I’ve sat waiting for her (with the engine running).

“The thought of me getting fined for things like that.

“Don't cars these days have low emissions?

“They need to get priorities right - these roads are dangerous and they need to sort these potholes.

“What if you’re waiting for a parking space, does it apply then?”

Robert Boxton, 50, said: “It is ridiculous but it does reduce pollution.

“They do want to scrap petrol for everyone to have electric.”

However, Morris Newton who is 88 years old and from Arnold told Nottinghamshire Live backed the plan.

Mr Newton said: “I think it’s a good idea - it's not a bad idea.

“I’m all in favour of it.

“If it's a controlled problem taken into account.”

Azeem Hanif, 49, Chairman of the Nottingham branch of the App Drivers’ and Courier Union told Nottinghamshire Live that it’s a worry for taxi drivers and it should be about changing behaviour rather than doing it in a financial way.

Mr Hanif said: “First of all we need to understand the idling law. A lot of drivers don’t understand that particular law - it’s really about education and getting drivers to understand.

“The second thing revolves around the fixed penalty charge. This fixed penalty shouldn’t be the first port of call again. This is always the worry that potentially going to be a sledgehammer to crack a nut - in this case it’s a peanut.

“I appreciate that idling is against the law in terms of the highway code and carbon monoxide and the contributions to the harmful chemicals in the atmosphere and I understand that and the harm that it causes. But I think we have to be very careful on how the council are going to use this new incentive to target taxi drivers and that for me is a real big concern and a real big worry.

“Whether we are waiting for riders to turn up or whether we are outside the school waiting to drop children off and waiting for partners to come back. I think we are all guilty of it, it’s about changing behaviour isn’t.

“We do cover app drivers and couriers so when they do food deliveries, they have got out their vehicle and they’re idling their vehicle because they want to do the delivery and shoot straight off so you have to understand that having a £20 fine is going to make a big impact on your income.

“All they’re trying to do is make an income, I appreciate it’s the simplest thing to do, turn the key and turn the vehicle off.. I appreciate that but when you’re in the city centre or a block of flats for example with limited parking space they will run in and run out..

“These people are hard working people and it’s going to make an impact financially for them.

“It’s a sledgehammer cracking a peanut. It's important to try to educate people to try to change behaviour as opposed to doing it in a financial way where it impacts them financially.”

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/motorists-gedling-worried-new-idling-6778320?fbclid=IwAR2I00AZaA2YfcPGh2GmMXpXINC9i4tdIKVn5xhAlBJcA5L4OKLhofac4PE

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Motorists worried about new idling fine and how it will be applied