Confession is good for the soul, but bad for the career.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: Unable to unlock encrypted APFS volume on external disk

SubjectAuthor
* Unable to unlock encrypted APFS volume on external diskChris
+* Unable to unlock encrypted APFS volume on external diskChris
|`* Unable to unlock encrypted APFS volume on external diskAlan B
| `* Unable to unlock encrypted APFS volume on external diskChris
|  `* Unable to unlock encrypted APFS volume on external diskAlan B
|   +- Unable to unlock encrypted APFS volume on external diskDavid Brooks
|   `- Unable to unlock encrypted APFS volume on external diskChris
+- Unable to unlock encrypted APFS volume on external diskBruce Horrocks
`- Unable to unlock encrypted APFS volume on external diskRichard Tobin

1
Unable to unlock encrypted APFS volume on external disk

<t029vu$n04$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6796&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6796

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Unable to unlock encrypted APFS volume on external disk
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 12:38:21 +0000
 by: Chris - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 12:38 UTC

I've had this TM disk working fine for the last few months, but lately I
noticed TM was not running. I didn't really have time to investigate
until now.

When plugging in the disk the lights flash and I hear the disk spin up.
In /Volumes an entry briefly shows up and then disappears. Nothing shows
up in Finder and TM itself won't initiate a backup.

Following a reboot the disk does appear in Disk Utility - it didn't
previously - and when I try first aid it hangs at the 'Unlocking disk'
step. No prompts pop-up for the encryption password which should be
stored in my keychain anyway.

Anyone know how I can coax my Mac or the disk to start working properly?
Or at least find out what's going wrong?

Re: Unable to unlock encrypted APFS volume on external disk

<t02acb$rvg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6797&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6797

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 12:44:57 +0000
 by: Chris - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 12:44 UTC

On 06/03/2022 12:38, Chris wrote:
> No prompts pop-up for the encryption password which should be stored in
> my keychain anyway.

Thought I'd check my keychain and that may be the problem. It won't
open. Just sits there bouncing on my dock, and then ends up in
"Application not responding" state.

Any way to fix this?

Re: Unable to unlock encrypted APFS volume on external disk

<t02c15$8v2$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6798&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6798

From: alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 13:13:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 13:13 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/03/2022 12:38, Chris wrote:
>> No prompts pop-up for the encryption password which should be stored in
>> my keychain anyway.
>
> Thought I'd check my keychain and that may be the problem. It won't
> open. Just sits there bouncing on my dock, and then ends up in
> "Application not responding" state.
>
> Any way to fix this?

Never had this problem but I’m wondering if any of these solutions will
work.

<https://badue.nolahmattresscoupons.com/keychain-access-not-responding-how-to-fix-without-losing-your-passwords/>

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Unable to unlock encrypted APFS volume on external disk

<05d33f61-b869-3f41-0d57-3b1853e44097@scorecrow.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6799&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6799

From: 07....@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 13:21:50 +0000
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 13:21 UTC

On 06/03/2022 12:38, Chris wrote:

> I've had this TM disk working fine for the last few months, but lately I
> noticed TM was not running. I didn't really have time to investigate
> until now.
>
> When plugging in the disk the lights flash and I hear the disk spin up.
> In /Volumes an entry briefly shows up and then disappears. Nothing shows
> up in Finder and TM itself won't initiate a backup.
>
> Following a reboot the disk does appear in Disk Utility - it didn't
> previously - and when I try first aid it hangs at the 'Unlocking disk'
> step. No prompts pop-up for the encryption password which should be
> stored in my keychain anyway.
>
> Anyone know how I can coax my Mac or the disk to start working properly?
> Or at least find out what's going wrong?

Does Keychain start without the disk attached?

If so you might 'gingerly' try deleting the password for the disk and
then re-attaching the drive and re-entering the password.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: Unable to unlock encrypted APFS volume on external disk

<t02r9n$l7s$1@macpro.inf.ed.ac.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6800&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6800

From: rich...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 17:33:43 +0000 (UTC)
Originator: richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
 by: Richard Tobin - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 17:33 UTC

In article <t029vu$n04$1@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

>When plugging in the disk the lights flash and I hear the disk spin up.
>In /Volumes an entry briefly shows up and then disappears. Nothing shows
>up in Finder and TM itself won't initiate a backup.

Have you tried attaching the disk to another Mac? It won't fix it but
at least it will be reasuring if you can read the disk.

-- Richard

Re: Unable to unlock encrypted APFS volume on external disk

<t03fg5$69e$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6803&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6803

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 23:18:28 +0000
 by: Chris - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 23:18 UTC

On 06/03/2022 13:13, Alan B wrote:
> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 06/03/2022 12:38, Chris wrote:
>>> No prompts pop-up for the encryption password which should be stored in
>>> my keychain anyway.
>>
>> Thought I'd check my keychain and that may be the problem. It won't
>> open. Just sits there bouncing on my dock, and then ends up in
>> "Application not responding" state.
>>
>> Any way to fix this?
>
> Never had this problem but I’m wondering if any of these solutions will
> work.
>
> <https://badue.nolahmattresscoupons.com/keychain-access-not-responding-how-to-fix-without-losing-your-passwords/>

That site seems very spammy and is essentially a clone of this one:
https://macreports.com/keychain-access-not-responding-how-to-fix-without-losing-your-passwords/

Thanks! That did it!

I was able to regain access to my keychain in Safe Mode and after
restarting normally keychain still worked. Am now able to resume by TM
backups.

Re: Unable to unlock encrypted APFS volume on external disk

<t04acs$7u1$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6807&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6807

From: alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 06:57:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 06:57 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/03/2022 13:13, Alan B wrote:
>> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thought I'd check my keychain and that may be the problem. It won't
>>> open. Just sits there bouncing on my dock, and then ends up in
>>> "Application not responding" state.
>>>
>>> Any way to fix this?
>>
>> Never had this problem but I’m wondering if any of these solutions will
>> work.
>>
>> <https://badue.nolahmattresscoupons.com/keychain-access-not-responding-how-to-fix-without-losing-your-passwords/>
>
> That site seems very spammy and is essentially a clone of this one:

Yes it is - apologies. Just visited the above site again using my iPhone
and a pop up appeared claiming it was infected with malware, inviting me to
get rid of it. I’m not taken in that easily!

> https://macreports.com/keychain-access-not-responding-how-to-fix-without-losing-your-passwords/
>
> Thanks! That did it!
>
> I was able to regain access to my keychain in Safe Mode and after
> restarting normally keychain still worked. Am now able to resume by TM
> backups.

Good :) I wonder what really caused the issue in the first place?

--
Cheers, Alan

Unable to unlock encrypted APFS volume on external disk

<l0kVJ.672910$hye7.520473@fx11.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6808&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6808

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.computer.workshop
From: BDB...@invalid.invalid (David Brooks)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 09:12:48 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 09:12 UTC

On 07/03/2022 06:57, Alan B wrote:
> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Never had this problem but I’m wondering if any of these solutions will
>>> work.
>>>
>>> <https://badue.nolahmattresscoupons.com/keychain-access-not-responding-how-to-fix-without-losing-your-passwords/>
>>
>> That site seems very spammy and is essentially a clone of this one:
>
> Yes it is - apologies. Just visited the above site again using my iPhone
> and a pop up appeared claiming it was infected with malware, inviting me to
> get rid of it. I’m not taken in that easily!

I'm more brave* than you!

This is what I saw:- https://ibb.co/5Mmqj5X

Would the use of www.clamxav.com have protected you?

<snip>

* Some will think foolish!

Re: Unable to unlock encrypted APFS volume on external disk

<t0509n$d9s$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6810&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6810

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 13:11:19 +0000
 by: Chris - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 13:11 UTC

On 07/03/2022 06:57, Alan B wrote:
> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Never had this problem but I’m wondering if any of these solutions will
>>> work.
>>>
>>> <https://badue.nolahmattresscoupons.com/keychain-access-not-responding-how-to-fix-without-losing-your-passwords/>
>>
>> That site seems very spammy and is essentially a clone of this one:
>
> Yes it is - apologies. Just visited the above site again using my iPhone
> and a pop up appeared claiming it was infected with malware, inviting me to
> get rid of it. I’m not taken in that easily!
>
>> https://macreports.com/keychain-access-not-responding-how-to-fix-without-losing-your-passwords/
>>
>> Thanks! That did it!
>>
>> I was able to regain access to my keychain in Safe Mode and after
>> restarting normally keychain still worked. Am now able to resume by TM
>> backups.
>
> Good :) I wonder what really caused the issue in the first place?

Probably impossible to find out now. TM hadn't been working 2-3 weeks.
I've also had the odd hard crash recently which easily could have left
my keychain wedged.