It's later than you think.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Sort the trains to get Britain back on track

SubjectAuthor
* Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?Rupert Moss-Eccardt
+* Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?Recliner
|`* Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?Roland Perry
| `* Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?Recliner
|  `* Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?Roland Perry
|   `* Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?Recliner
|    +- Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?Graeme Wall
|    `* Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?Roland Perry
|     `* Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?Recliner
|      `* Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?Graeme Wall
|       `* Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?Roland Perry
|        +- Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?Recliner
|        `* Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?Graeme Wall
|         `* Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?Recliner
|          `* Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?Graeme Wall
|           `* Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?Recliner
|            `* Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?Graeme Wall
|             `- Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?Recliner
`* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackRecliner
 `* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackMuttley
  +* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackRupert Moss-Eccardt
  |+* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackMuttley
  ||+* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackCharles Ellson
  |||`* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackMuttley
  ||| +* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackCharles Ellson
  ||| +- Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackCoffee
  ||| `* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackRupert Moss-Eccardt
  |||  +* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackRoland Perry
  |||  |`- Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackRupert Moss-Eccardt
  |||  `* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackMuttley
  |||   +* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackTweed
  |||   |`* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackMuttley
  |||   | `- Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackRupert Moss-Eccardt
  |||   +- Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackCharles Ellson
  |||   `* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackRupert Moss-Eccardt
  |||    `* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackMuttley
  |||     `* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackRoland Perry
  |||      `* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackMuttley
  |||       `* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackRupert Moss-Eccardt
  |||        +* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackSam Wilson
  |||        |+* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackJMB99
  |||        ||`* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackColinR
  |||        || `* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackGraeme Wall
  |||        ||  `- Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackJMB99
  |||        |`* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackRoland Perry
  |||        | `* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackSam Wilson
  |||        |  +- Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackRoland Perry
  |||        |  `* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackCharles Ellson
  |||        |   `- Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackCoffee
  |||        +- Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackColinR
  |||        `* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackMuttley
  |||         `- Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackRoland Perry
  ||`- Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackArthur Figgis
  |`- Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackCoffee
  `* Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackBob
   +- Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackMuttley
   `- Sort the trains to get Britain back on trackNobody

Pages:123
Re: Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?

<P27zFH6m7bYlFANs@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68081&group=uk.railway#68081

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 09:31:18 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 09:31 UTC

In message <ujsc91$2o7l3$1@dont-email.me>, at 08:46:25 on Sat, 25 Nov
2023, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>On 24/11/2023 22:36, Recliner wrote:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <iid1mihtd4inruitqk0a7ra1s5ehmvf7ln@4ax.com>, at 14:47:58 on
>>> Fri, 24 Nov 2023, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Didn't seem to do Liz "batshit crazy" Truss much good.
>>>
>>> Her bagman Kwasi Kwarteng, studied Classics and History (but at
>>> Cambridge).
>>>
>>> Shapps only got as far as doing an HND (from Manchester Poly). Williams
>>> got an undisclosed degree from Liverpool.

>>> A very early social media profile for one cheriebo (perhaps there was an
>>> 8-character limit) said "I'm a lawyer living in Islington, married to a
>>> politician".
>> They were both leftie lawyers with political ambitions. They had an
>> agreement that the first of them to become a Labour candidate would pursue
>> the political career, while the other would aim at becoming a highly paid
>> QC. Both succeeded.
>>

>Interesting to speculate the outcome if it had been the other way
>round! Booth was actually no mean politician (with a small p) herself.
>If nothing else she would have been the first Prime Minister to give
>birth in No 10.

But famously didn't understand railway ticketing, so got charged a PF
when travelling to work on Thameslink.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?

<mrk8N.26536$hCA.18616@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68087&group=uk.railway#68087

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 10:58:26 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 10:58 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <ujsc91$2o7l3$1@dont-email.me>, at 08:46:25 on Sat, 25 Nov
> 2023, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>> They were both leftie lawyers with political ambitions. They had an
>>> agreement that the first of them to become a Labour candidate would pursue
>>> the political career, while the other would aim at becoming a highly paid
>>> QC. Both succeeded.
>>>

>> Interesting to speculate the outcome if it had been the other way
>> round! Booth was actually no mean politician (with a small p) herself.
>> If nothing else she would have been the first Prime Minister to give
>> birth in No 10.
>
> But famously didn't understand railway ticketing, so got charged a PF
> when travelling to work on Thameslink.

The ticket machine wouldn't accept her credit card, she couldn't find the
Blackfriars ticket office, and she wasn't able to pay on the train. So she
paid on arrival, plus a £10 fine.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/jan/11/cherieblair.politics

But there's a sting in the tail/tale [both spellings work in this context]
— the gripper who fined her was later sacked for an unrelated matter.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1379966/Sack-for-ticket-inspector-who-fined-Cherie-Blair-10.html

THE ticket inspector who made Cherie Blair, the Prime Minister's wife, pay
a £10 penalty fare for travelling on a train without a ticket has been
sacked.

Arthur Harriott, 39, claimed in an interview yesterday with The Telegraph
that he had been victimised by Thameslink, his employer, because his
confrontation with Mrs Blair had damaged the train company's image.

Mr Harriott, from Luton, Bedfordshire, is taking the company to an
industrial tribunal, claiming unfair dismissal. He said: "I have gone from
hero to zero. At first Thameslink was quite happy to leak the Cherie Blair
story to the media and exploit it as a public relations exercise to show
they treated all customers alike, no matter how rich or famous.

"They preened and congratulated themselves but now they have dropped me
like a stone because they feel I have served my purpose. They are worried
that the attention I get will stop them keeping their franchise, which is
coming up for renegotiation."

Mr Harriott asked Mrs Blair to pay the £10 penalty, as well as the £7.90
fare, when she arrived at Luton station from Blackfriars, London, in
January without a ticket. Mrs Blair had been on her way to Luton Crown
Court on her first day as a crown court recorder.

Mr Harriott said that he had found himself resented by colleagues and
senior executives and targeted by members of the public who tried to goad
"the Cherie Blair guy". He said: "Whenever I tried to give out a penalty
fare people would say I was only doing it because I caught Cherie Blair and
thought that I was something special."

Mr Harriott was moved to a desk job at King's Cross. He said that he had
been sacked a month later over his failure to take a second urine test
after unsubstantiated claims that he had been taking drugs. Mr Harriott
called it a "totally trumped-up charge". He was sacked two weeks after
buying a house in Bedford. "I can't afford to move in and I'm already
behind with the payments," he said.

Mr Harriott said that the abuse and intimidation he had suffered since the
Cherie Blair incident, including anonymous phone calls, had placed "an
enormous strain" on him and on his 63-year-old mother, with whom he lives.
He said that Mrs Blair had been "absolutely fine".

He said: "She knew she was in the wrong and she accepted it. But her life
has gone on as normal while mine has been ruined by one incident in which I
did everything correctly." A Thameslink spokesman last night denied that Mr
Harriott had been sacked because of any resentment at the Cherie Blair
incident.

The spokesman said: "Initially, Mr Harriott was well supported by us but
since then there have been other incidents that have led to his dismissal."
The spokesman declined to say what the "other incidents" had been,
describing them as "classified". A Downing Street spokesman refused to
comment.

Re: Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?

<ujsk9a$2pctj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68088&group=uk.railway#68088

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 11:03:06 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 11:03 UTC

On 25/11/2023 09:31, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <ujsc91$2o7l3$1@dont-email.me>, at 08:46:25 on Sat, 25 Nov
> 2023, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>>  They were both leftie lawyers with political ambitions. They had an
>>> agreement that the first of them to become a Labour candidate would
>>> pursue
>>> the political career, while the other would aim at becoming a highly
>>> paid
>>> QC. Both succeeded.
>>>

>> Interesting to speculate the outcome if it had been the other way
>> round! Booth was actually no mean politician (with a small p) herself.
>> If nothing else she would have been the first Prime Minister to give
>> birth in No 10.
>
> But famously didn't understand railway ticketing, so got charged a PF
> when travelling to work on Thameslink.

Wasn't that something to do with tapping in and out at an interchange?
Confused a lot of people.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?

<cKk8N.1703$vz%.1648@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68092&group=uk.railway#68092

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
<ujsk9a$2pctj$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 11:18:32 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 11:18 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 25/11/2023 09:31, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <ujsc91$2o7l3$1@dont-email.me>, at 08:46:25 on Sat, 25 Nov
>> 2023, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>> Interesting to speculate the outcome if it had been the other way
>>> round! Booth was actually no mean politician (with a small p) herself.
>>> If nothing else she would have been the first Prime Minister to give
>>> birth in No 10.
>>
>> But famously didn't understand railway ticketing, so got charged a PF
>> when travelling to work on Thameslink.
>
> Wasn't that something to do with tapping in and out at an interchange?

Not back in 2000. But it might today.

> Confused a lot of people.

No, it was simply that she couldn't find the Blackfriars ticket office, the
TVM wouldn't accept her card and she was unable to buy a ticket on the
train. So she went to a gripper on arrival at Luton and admitted that she
hadn't been able to buy a ticket.

Re: Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?

<ujsmnm$2pmmq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68093&group=uk.railway#68093

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 11:44:54 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 11:44 UTC

So a lot of fuss about very little.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?

<hkl8N.13670$N8H9.11100@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68094&group=uk.railway#68094

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
<ujsk9a$2pctj$1@dont-email.me>
<cKk8N.1703$vz%.1648@fx12.ams1>
<ujsmnm$2pmmq$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 11:59:09 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 11:59 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 25/11/2023 11:18, Recliner wrote:
>> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Wasn't that something to do with tapping in and out at an interchange?
>>
>> Not back in 2000. But it might today.
>>
>>> Confused a lot of people.
>>>

>> No, it was simply that she couldn't find the Blackfriars ticket office, the
>> TVM wouldn't accept her card and she was unable to buy a ticket on the
>> train. So she went to a gripper on arrival at Luton and admitted that she
>> hadn't been able to buy a ticket.
>>

> So a lot of fuss about very little.

Yup. The Tory press hated her and ran every negative story about her they
could.

Also in her defence, she'd just got back from holiday, was four months
pregnant, and was on her way to do her first stint as a Recorder (junior
judge). I don't think she was familiar with the route (hence her inability
to spot the Blackfriars ticket office) and she did volunteer to the ticket
collector that she'd travelled without a ticket. So there was no intent to
evade payment, and she paid the penalty without complaining.

Re: Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?

<ujspsi$2q4cg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68098&group=uk.railway#68098

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 12:38:42 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 12:38 UTC

So not confused at all, as was claimed.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Shapps-Williams - does it still breathe?

<aar3mip84pg40vf54vg2rrl7qu07du026m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68099&group=uk.railway#68099

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
References: <RYw6N.48674$bGkf.48127@fx12.ams1> <ohFKgMJluwWlFApc@perry.uk> <qbnmlihagpm3glqo3vorfgcpqa7o35ou7f@4ax.com> <IRAC8tjJmKYlFA+r@perry.uk> <iid1mihtd4inruitqk0a7ra1s5ehmvf7ln@4ax.com> <EWAx9lqJ4PYlFAvv@perry.uk> <Iz98N.25393$hCA.1401@fx15.ams1> <ujsc91$2o7l3$1@dont-email.me> <P27zFH6m7bYlFANs@perry.uk> <ujsk9a$2pctj$1@dont-email.me> <cKk8N.1703$vz%.1648@fx12.ams1> <ujsmnm$2pmmq$1@dont-email.me> <hkl8N.13670$N8H9.11100@fx13.ams1> <ujspsi$2q4cg$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 12:51:38 +0000
 by: Recliner - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 12:51 UTC

On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 12:38:42 +0000, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On 25/11/2023 11:59, Recliner wrote:
>> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> So a lot of fuss about very little.
>>
>> Yup. The Tory press hated her and ran every negative story about her they
>> could.
>>
>> Also in her defence, she'd just got back from holiday, was four months
>> pregnant, and was on her way to do her first stint as a Recorder (junior
>> judge). I don't think she was familiar with the route (hence her inability
>> to spot the Blackfriars ticket office) and she did volunteer to the ticket
>> collector that she'd travelled without a ticket. So there was no intent to
>> evade payment, and she paid the penalty without complaining.
>>

>So not confused at all, as was claimed.

I suppose it could be said that her inability to spot the ticket office or to operate the TVM indicated some sort of
fluster or confusion (perhaps she was late?). But it wasn't confusion about the ticketing system or tapping in, etc.

Re: Sort the trains to get Britain back on track

<ksi5bkFj09aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68145&group=uk.railway#68145

From: nin...@moss-eccardt.com (Rupert Moss-Eccardt)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Sort the trains to get Britain back on track
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 00:14:43 +0000
 by: Rupert Moss-Eccardt - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 00:14 UTC

On 23 Nov 2023 09:52, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 18:42:58 +0000
> Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>Like previous LAB governments repealed all the preceding Tory
>>employment legislation?
>
> Who knows what he'll do, his opinions and policies seem to change with the
> wind.
>
>>>Its not state employment.
>>>
>>It is a state function that has been outsourced. The state is still in
>>effective control.
>
> So what? Its still not state employment. Would you consider BBC employees
> to be working for the government?

How about prison officers. Are they simply employees of Serco or do
they work for the government?

Re: Sort the trains to get Britain back on track

<pLXqKgyQUEZlFATu@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68152&group=uk.railway#68152

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 07:28:16 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 07:28 UTC

In message <ksi5bkFj09aU1@mid.individual.net>, at 00:14:43 on Mon, 27
Nov 2023, Rupert Moss-Eccardt <nin@moss-eccardt.com> remarked:
>On 23 Nov 2023 09:52, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 18:42:58 +0000
>> Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>Like previous LAB governments repealed all the preceding Tory
>>>employment legislation?
>>
>> Who knows what he'll do, his opinions and policies seem to change with the
>> wind.

>>>It is a state function that has been outsourced. The state is still in
>>>effective control.
>>
>> So what? Its still not state employment. Would you consider BBC employees
>> to be working for the government?
>
>How about prison officers. Are they simply employees of Serco or do
>they work for the government?

There's loads of edge cases, for example employees at the Palace of
Westminster, or the Parliamentary Bookshop across the road (not to be
confused with the tourist-tat shops inside the Palace).
--
Roland Perry

Re: Sort the trains to get Britain back on track

<uk1nse$3n7c8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68161&group=uk.railway#68161

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 09:35:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 09:35 UTC

On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 00:14:43 +0000
Rupert Moss-Eccardt <nin@moss-eccardt.com> wrote:
>On 23 Nov 2023 09:52, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 18:42:58 +0000
>> Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>Like previous LAB governments repealed all the preceding Tory
>>>employment legislation?
>>
>> Who knows what he'll do, his opinions and policies seem to change with the
>> wind.

>>>It is a state function that has been outsourced. The state is still in
>>>effective control.
>>
>> So what? Its still not state employment. Would you consider BBC employees
>> to be working for the government?
>
>How about prison officers. Are they simply employees of Serco or do
>they work for the government?

Serco. Next.

Re: Sort the trains to get Britain back on track

<uk1quc$3nmlk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68166&group=uk.railway#68166

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 10:27:24 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ph1KJjCd1Oc8Wt0vIJs4WQvCJI4=
 by: Tweed - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 10:27 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 00:14:43 +0000
> Rupert Moss-Eccardt <nin@moss-eccardt.com> wrote:
>> On 23 Nov 2023 09:52, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:

>>> Who knows what he'll do, his opinions and policies seem to change with the
>>> wind.

>>> So what? Its still not state employment. Would you consider BBC employees
>>> to be working for the government?
>>
>> How about prison officers. Are they simply employees of Serco or do
>> they work for the government?
>
> Serco. Next.

If they work in a non privatised prison, prison officers are civil
servants.

Re: Sort the trains to get Britain back on track

<uk2ee7$3qt1r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68169&group=uk.railway#68169

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 16:00:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 16:00 UTC

On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 10:27:24 -0000 (UTC)
Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 00:14:43 +0000
>> Rupert Moss-Eccardt <nin@moss-eccardt.com> wrote:
>in

>>> How about prison officers. Are they simply employees of Serco or do
>>> they work for the government?
>>
>> Serco. Next.
>>

>If they work in a non privatised prison, prison officers are civil
>servants.

If its non privatised then it won't be run by Serco.

Re: Sort the trains to get Britain back on track

<kol9mihe914ujlg8488molud86r82kjb2a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68176&group=uk.railway#68176

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 17:54:23 +0000
 by: Charles Ellson - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 17:54 UTC

On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 09:35:10 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 00:14:43 +0000
>Rupert Moss-Eccardt <nin@moss-eccardt.com> wrote:
>>On 23 Nov 2023 09:52, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:

>>> Who knows what he'll do, his opinions and policies seem to change with the
>>> wind.

>>> So what? Its still not state employment. Would you consider BBC employees
>>> to be working for the government?
>>
>>How about prison officers. Are they simply employees of Serco or do
>>they work for the government?
>
>Serco. Next.

or G4S
https://www.g4s.com/en-gb/what-we-do/care-and-rehabilitation-services/care-and-rehabilitation-services

or Sodexo.
https://uk.sodexo.com/industry/justice.html

Next.

Re: Sort the trains to get Britain back on track

<ksmqkqFtek5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68256&group=uk.railway#68256

From: nin...@moss-eccardt.com (Rupert Moss-Eccardt)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 18:42:33 +0000
 by: Rupert Moss-Eccardt - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 18:42 UTC

On 27 Nov 2023 07:28, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <ksi5bkFj09aU1@mid.individual.net>, at 00:14:43 on Mon, 27
> Nov 2023, Rupert Moss-Eccardt <nin@moss-eccardt.com> remarked:
>>On 23 Nov 2023 09:52, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:

>>> Who knows what he'll do, his opinions and policies seem to change with the
>>> wind.

>>> So what? Its still not state employment. Would you consider BBC employees
>>> to be working for the government?
>>
>>How about prison officers. Are they simply employees of Serco or do
>>they work for the government?
>
> There's loads of edge cases, for example employees at the Palace of
> Westminster, or the Parliamentary Bookshop across the road (not to be
> confused with the tourist-tat shops inside the Palace).

Clearly State employees but not Government employees

Re: Sort the trains to get Britain back on track

<ksmqoaFtf9bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68257&group=uk.railway#68257

From: nin...@moss-eccardt.com (Rupert Moss-Eccardt)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 18:44:24 +0000
 by: Rupert Moss-Eccardt - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 18:44 UTC

On 27 Nov 2023 09:35, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 00:14:43 +0000
> Rupert Moss-Eccardt <nin@moss-eccardt.com> wrote:
>>On 23 Nov 2023 09:52, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:

>>> Who knows what he'll do, his opinions and policies seem to change with the
>>> wind.

>>> So what? Its still not state employment. Would you consider BBC employees
>>> to be working for the government?
>>
>>How about prison officers. Are they simply employees of Serco or do
>>they work for the government?
>
> Serco. Next.

So holding public office and performing a public service isn't state
employment.

So how would you characterise state employment?

Re: Sort the trains to get Britain back on track

<ksmqq3FtgcaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68258&group=uk.railway#68258

From: nin...@moss-eccardt.com (Rupert Moss-Eccardt)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 18:45:22 +0000
<uk1quc$3nmlk$1@dont-email.me> <uk2ee7$3qt1r$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Rupert Moss-Eccardt - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 18:45 UTC

On 27 Nov 2023 16:00, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 10:27:24 -0000 (UTC)
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>>in

>>> Serco. Next.
>>>

>>If they work in a non privatised prison, prison officers are civil
>>servants.
>
> If its non privatised then it won't be run by Serco.

How about gaolers in a police station?

Re: Sort the trains to get Britain back on track

<uk7onj$tfds$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68338&group=uk.railway#68338

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:26:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:26 UTC

On Tue, 28 Nov 2023 18:44:24 +0000
Rupert Moss-Eccardt <nin@moss-eccardt.com> wrote:
>On 27 Nov 2023 09:35, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 00:14:43 +0000
>> Rupert Moss-Eccardt <nin@moss-eccardt.com> wrote:
>in

>in

>>>How about prison officers. Are they simply employees of Serco or do
>>>they work for the government?
>>
>> Serco. Next.
>
>So holding public office and performing a public service isn't state
>employment.
>
>So how would you characterise state employment?

Being employed by the state. Not sure why you're having a comprehension issue
here.

Re: Sort the trains to get Britain back on track

<mbqpe3VoudalFAav@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68471&group=uk.railway#68471

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 13:12:08 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 13:12 UTC

In message <uk7onj$tfds$1@dont-email.me>, at 16:26:27 on Wed, 29 Nov
2023, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com remarked:

>>> Serco. Next.
>>
>>So holding public office and performing a public service isn't state
>>employment.
>>
>>So how would you characterise state employment?
>
>Being employed by the state. Not sure why you're having a comprehension issue
>here.

The elephant in the room here is whether you mean *directly* employed,
or employed by a state-funded subcontractor.

Your turn <grabs popcorn>.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Sort the trains to get Britain back on track

<ukcva0$1u0t3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68487&group=uk.railway#68487

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 15:49:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 15:49 UTC

On Fri, 1 Dec 2023 13:12:08 +0000
Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>In message <uk7onj$tfds$1@dont-email.me>, at 16:26:27 on Wed, 29 Nov
>2023, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com remarked:

>>>So holding public office and performing a public service isn't state
>>>employment.
>>>
>>>So how would you characterise state employment?
>>
>>Being employed by the state. Not sure why you're having a comprehension issue
>>here.
>
>The elephant in the room here is whether you mean *directly* employed,
>or employed by a state-funded subcontractor.

Directly employed. My current company does some government work but in no sense
am I employed by HM Government.

Re: Sort the trains to get Britain back on track

<kt0h48Fp1cmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68560&group=uk.railway#68560

From: nin...@moss-eccardt.com (Rupert Moss-Eccardt)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 11:01:27 +0000
 by: Rupert Moss-Eccardt - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:01 UTC

On 1 Dec 2023 15:49, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Dec 2023 13:12:08 +0000
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>In message <uk7onj$tfds$1@dont-email.me>, at 16:26:27 on Wed, 29 Nov
>>2023, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com remarked:

>>>Being employed by the state. Not sure why you're having a
comprehension issue
>>>here.
>>
>>The elephant in the room here is whether you mean *directly*
employed,
>>or employed by a state-funded subcontractor.
>
> Directly employed. My current company does some government work but in no sense
> am I employed by HM Government.

So that clearly means GPs are not state employees. Good. Now we are
getting somewhere.

Most teachers aren't state employees either then.

Re: Sort the trains to get Britain back on track

<ukf424$2bb42$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68562&group=uk.railway#68562

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:22:44 -0000 (UTC)
<uk7onj$tfds$1@dont-email.me>
<mbqpe3VoudalFAav@perry.uk>
<ukcva0$1u0t3$1@dont-email.me>
<kt0h48Fp1cmU1@mid.individual.net>
sha1:Wod7CnnVOtvKSiUl96/XbylPzxw=
 by: Sam Wilson - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:22 UTC

Rupert Moss-Eccardt <nin@moss-eccardt.com> wrote:
> On 1 Dec 2023 15:49, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> On Fri, 1 Dec 2023 13:12:08 +0000
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <uk7onj$tfds$1@dont-email.me>, at 16:26:27 on Wed, 29 Nov
>>> 2023, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com remarked:

> do

> comprehension issue
>>>
>>> The elephant in the room here is whether you mean *directly*
> employed,
>>> or employed by a state-funded subcontractor.
>>
>> Directly employed. My current company does some government work but in no sense
>> am I employed by HM Government.
>>

> So that clearly means GPs are not state employees. Good. Now we are
> getting somewhere.

Yes, GPs are in an odd situation - despite being the first line of the NHS
they are generally not NHS employees. They may or may not get NHS
discounts from shops and services.

> Most teachers aren't state employees either then.

I don’t think we’ve defined the state yet, have we?

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Sort the trains to get Britain back on track

<ukf603$2bhpo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68563&group=uk.railway#68563

From: rai...@greystane.shetland.co.uk (ColinR)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:55:47 +0000
 by: ColinR - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:55 UTC

On 02/12/2023 11:01, Rupert Moss-Eccardt wrote:
> On 1 Dec 2023 15:49, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> On Fri, 1 Dec 2023 13:12:08 +0000
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <uk7onj$tfds$1@dont-email.me>, at 16:26:27 on Wed, 29 Nov
>>> 2023, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com remarked:

> do

> comprehension issue
>>>
>>> The elephant in the room here is whether you mean *directly*
> employed,
>>> or employed by a state-funded subcontractor.
>>
>> Directly employed. My current company does some government work but in no sense
>> am I employed by HM Government.
>>

> So that clearly means GPs are not state employees. Good. Now we are
> getting somewhere.
>
> Most teachers aren't state employees either then.

Up here there are ten GP practices. Of these 9 are NHS run practices
with doctors directly employed by the NHS, only one (Hillswick) where
the GP is a self-employed contractor to the NHS.

So "that clearly means GPs are not state employees" depends upon where
you are - not clearly at all!!

--
Colin

Re: Sort the trains to get Britain back on track

<ukf65h$2bhob$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68564&group=uk.railway#68564

From: mb...@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:58:42 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:58 UTC

On 02/12/2023 11:22, Sam Wilson wrote:
> Yes, GPs are in an odd situation - despite being the first line of the NHS
> they are generally not NHS employees. They may or may not get NHS
> discounts from shops and services.

Didn't their trade union (though not called that at the time) campaign
against the NHS?

Re: Sort the trains to get Britain back on track

<ukf7f4$2brbq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=68567&group=uk.railway#68567

From: rai...@greystane.shetland.co.uk (ColinR)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 12:20:52 +0000
 by: ColinR - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 12:20 UTC

On 02/12/2023 11:58, JMB99 wrote:
> On 02/12/2023 11:22, Sam Wilson wrote:
>> Yes, GPs are in an odd situation - despite being the first line of the
>> NHS
>> they are generally not NHS employees.  They may or may not get NHS
>> discounts from shops and services.
>

> Didn't their trade union (though not called that at the time) campaign
> against the NHS?

An interesting article:
https://history.blog.gov.uk/2023/07/13/the-founding-of-the-nhs-75-years-on/

"Six months before the Appointed Day it looked as though the whole
edifice might crash through lack of support from the medical profession;
but a near-last-minute agreement saved the structure."

But whilst the NHS is always touted as a Labour Party success, it was a
policy of the coalition, wartime government with Labour just being the
administration of the day who got it going. The well-known phrase of
"from the cradle to the grave" was actually said by Churchill.

--
Colin

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Sort the trains to get Britain back on track