Counting in binary is just like counting in decimal -- if you are all thumbs. -- Glaser and Way

aus+uk / aus.cars / The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

SubjectAuthor
* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsNoddy
+- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsalvey
+* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsDaryl
|`* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsNoddy
| `- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsDaryl
+* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
|`* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsjonz
| +* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsNoddy
| |`* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsalvey
| | `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
| |  `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsDaryl
| |   +- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsNoddy
| |   `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
| |    `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsalvey
| |     `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
| |      +* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsalvey
| |      |`- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
| |      `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsjonz
| |       +* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsDaryl
| |       |`* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsalvey
| |       | `- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
| |       `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsNoddy
| |        `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsDaryl
| |         +* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsNoddy
| |         |`* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsalvey
| |         | `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
| |         |  `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsjonz
| |         |   `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsNoddy
| |         |    `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsalvey
| |         |     +* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsXeno
| |         |     |`- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
| |         |     `- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsjonz
| |         +- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsXeno
| |         `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
| |          `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsjonz
| |           `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsNoddy
| |            +* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsalvey
| |            |`* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsXeno
| |            | `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsalvey
| |            |  `- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsXeno
| |            +- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsXeno
| |            `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsDaryl
| |             +* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsNoddy
| |             |`* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsXeno
| |             | `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
| |             |  `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsXeno
| |             |   +* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
| |             |   |`- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsXeno
| |             |   `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsYosemite Sam
| |             |    `- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
| |             `- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsXeno
| `- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
+- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsYosemite Sam
+* The modern day saga of cheap quality partskeithr0
|+* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
||`* The modern day saga of cheap quality partskeithr0
|| +* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsNoddy
|| |`- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
|| `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
||  `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partskeithr0
||   +* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsNoddy
||   |`- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
||   `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
||    `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partskeithr0
||     +* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsNoddy
||     |`* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsalvey
||     | `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
||     |  `- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsYosemite Sam
||     `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
||      `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partskeithr0
||       `- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
|`* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsNoddy
| +* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsDaryl
| |+- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsNoddy
| |+- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsalvey
| |`- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
| +- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
| `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partskeithr0
|  `- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsNoddy
`* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsPeter Jason
 +- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsDaryl
 +* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsNoddy
 |+* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsPeter Jason
 ||+* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsNoddy
 |||`* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsjonz
 ||| `- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
 ||`* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsDaryl
 || +- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsNoddy
 || `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partskeithr0
 ||  `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsDaryl
 ||   +- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
 ||   `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partskeithr0
 ||    `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsDaryl
 ||     `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partskeithr0
 ||      `- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsDaryl
 |`- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsalvey
 `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky
  `* The modern day saga of cheap quality partsYosemite Sam
   `- The modern day saga of cheap quality partsClocky

Pages:1234
The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<sljbvd$tgt$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6851&group=aus.cars#6851

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 22:57:29 +1100
 by: Noddy - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 11:57 UTC

OT: Car post

As most of you are aware I own a 1956 Ford F-100. It's a cool old thing
and I love it to death.

But....

It was put together by a bloke who really had no idea what he was doing,
and I've been chasing problems with it ever since I bought it last year.

It's coming good, and I've got most stuff sorted on it, but one problem
thing it's had since the day I got the thing is an intermittent ignition
stumble, and because it's been *very* random it's been terribly hard to
pinpoint.

Until yesterday :)

The truck has it's original 272 cube Y Block V8 that was reconditioned
not long before I bought the thing, and is standard apart from having an
alloy 4 barrel manifold, an Edelbrock 1405 carb, a nice set of ceramic
coated headers and an MSD "ready to run" distributor.

One of these:

> https://www.vpw.com.au/parts/MSD-8383

These ready to run things are a quick and easy convert to electronic
ignition for older shitheaps like this, as they're all fully self
contained with a single pole reluctor trigger and an ignition module
mounted under the base plate. All they need is a power feed from the
coil and they're good to go. They also have a couple of cool features
such as a built in rev limiter which is programmed by momentarily
earthing the tach signal wire while the engine is running, and their
best feature in my opinion is that the mechanical advance mechanism is
*above* the base plate under the rotor which makes changing the advance
curve a five minute job.

On the downside, I found out not so long ago that MSD gear is now made
in China, and that gave me cause to be concerned as Chinese automotive
electrical components don't have a stellar reputation.

Anyway, that theory was confirmed yesterday morning when I was coming
back home from a trip into town when the thing suddenly started carrying
on like crazy and would refuse to run for more than a couple of seconds.
Long story short after much pushing, swearing and short stop start
driving I managed to get it home and start my diagnosis.

Checked everything. Coil, wiring, relays, temperature, the lot. Nothing
seemed to be out of order. Last thing left to do was pull the
distributor and have a look at it, but given that it was fitted brand
new and has only *just* clocked 2000 miles I wasn't expecting it to be
where the problem lay.

Murphy's first law of automotive diagnosis: Assume nothing :)

The distributor shaft needs to be removed to remove the base plate and
get to the ignition module. As I was peering under the module when
lifting it as far as the wiring harness would allow, I saw this:

> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME4MPQ7

Uh-oh :) I don't think that should be there :)

The wiring harness sheath had melted itself together, so after cutting
if off and removing the base plate, the ignition module looked like this:

> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME4MPQ9

Fucking nasty. Massive overheat by the looks, but this thing was wired
*exactly* as MSD's instruction book said it needed to be. The melted
brown wire was actually jammed in between the capacitor and the
remaining resistor where it met up with the other three wires and was
fed out through the sheath in the lower part of the housing.

And on the other side, we had this:

> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME4MPQB

Just fuck. Massive fail.

As I said, this is a new distributor that the previous owner paid over a
thousand bucks for, it's done just over 2000 miles and it has been
installed *precisely* as instructed buy the company who made it. Pretty
piss fucking poor if you ask me, and a *perfect* example of how paying
high prices for "brand names" isn't all that great an idea these days.

The solution is to buy a new replacement ignition module which comes as
a "kit" which includes the module itself, the base plate, the advance
plate and the magnetic pick up. But given that they're 300 bucks
Australian and and are 6 weeks away in the US, I'm not all that keen to
wait that long let alone to pay that kind of money only to have the
exact same thing that fucked up in the first place.

So we move to plan B, which is to try using a remote ignition module.

Given that the triggering mechanism in the distributor is a basic single
pole reluctor it should work with *any* generic module like a Bosch 021
or a GM HEI, and given that I have both of those here and nothing else
to lose my plan is to gut the distributor and just leave the reluctor
and pickup in place and feed those into a 4 pin HEI module which I can
mount in an enclosure on the firewall. I can't see why it wouldn't work,
and I'll know by this time tomorrow if it does. If it does it will be a
good cheap home brew fix that will hopefully help other MSD owners avoid
a massive repair bill.

In the mean time, if anyone's thinking of purchasing automotive ignition
products any time soon my recommendation would be to stay the *fuck*
away from anything offered by MSD.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<17rq1j7rfco9$.14glepx6306kh.dlg@40tude.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6856&group=aus.cars#6856

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 06:59:57 +1000
 by: alvey - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 20:59 UTC

On Sat, 30 Oct 2021 22:57:29 +1100, Noddy wrote:

> OT: Car post
>
> As most of you are aware I own a 1956 Ford F-100. It's a cool old thing
> and I love it to death.

Ummm. It's not a "car" Der Der.

alvey

Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<iu5trbFkqj9U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6857&group=aus.cars#6857

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 09:04:25 +1100
 by: Daryl - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 22:04 UTC

On 30/10/21 10:57 pm, Noddy wrote:

> [...]
> exact same thing that fucked up in the first place.
>
> So we move to plan B, which is to try using a remote ignition module.
>
> Given that the triggering mechanism in the distributor is a basic single
> pole reluctor it should work with *any* generic module like a Bosch 021
> or a GM HEI, and given that I have both of those here and nothing else
> to lose my plan is to gut the distributor and just leave the reluctor
> and pickup in place and feed those into a 4 pin HEI module which I can
> mount in an enclosure on the firewall. I can't see why it wouldn't work,
> and I'll know by this time tomorrow if it does. If it does it will be a
> good cheap home brew fix that will hopefully help other MSD owners avoid
> a massive repair bill.
>
> In the mean time, if anyone's thinking of purchasing automotive ignition
> products any time soon my recommendation would be to stay the *fuck*

Jesus, that's appalling, just shows you what can happen when big
companies try to save money and sub contract out their work to Chinese
companies at the lowest price.
Makes me a bit nervous about the dizzy we just fitted to the Torana,
pretty sure it was labelled MSD

--
Daryl

Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<slkrgc$9qn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6859&group=aus.cars#6859

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 09:28:33 +0800
 by: Clocky - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 01:28 UTC

On 30/10/2021 7:57 pm, Noddy wrote:

> OT: Car post

It's not a car. Try aus.trucks

<snip wrongful assumption and incorrect diagnosis>

That has suffered a MOSFET failure. You should look for a posible cause,
not assume it's "cheap quality parts". Besides, that distributor was
made in 2017 and a couple of hacks have been at it so who knows if it
was damaged by you or the previous owner getting getting the wiring
mixed up. In fact I would say that is quite likely given your opinion of
the previous owner and the resident mechanics and an auto sparky's
opinion of your (lack of) automotive skills.

Best to leave he diagnosis and repair to someone who knows what they are
doing and that ain't you.I'd have that diagnose and repaired today in an
hour and $5 in parts.

Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<iu6cm8Fnat6U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6862&group=aus.cars#6862

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 13:17:56 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 02:17 UTC

On 30/10/2021 10:57 pm, Noddy wrote:

> OT: Car post
>
> As most of you are aware I own a 1956 Ford F-100.

one that doesn't have proper seat belts

> It's a cool old thing and I love it to death.
>
> But....
>
> It was put together by a bloke who really had no idea what he was doing,

and now another hack has it   :)

> [...]
>
> So we move to plan B, which is to try using a remote ignition module.
>
> Given that the triggering mechanism in the distributor is a basic
> single pole reluctor it should work with *any* generic module like a
> Bosch 021 or a GM HEI, and given that I have both of those here and
> nothing else to lose my plan is to gut the distributor and just leave
> the reluctor and pickup in place and feed those into a 4 pin HEI
> module which I can mount in an enclosure on the firewall. I can't see
> why it wouldn't work, and I'll know by this time tomorrow if it does.
> If it does it will be a good cheap home brew fix that will hopefully
> help other MSD owners avoid a massive repair bill.
>
> In the mean time, if anyone's thinking of purchasing automotive
> ignition products any time soon my recommendation would be to stay the
> *fuck* away from anything offered by MSD.

"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<sll17l$6u6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6863&group=aus.cars#6863

From: jon...@nothere.com (jonz)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 14:06:26 +1100
 by: jonz - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 03:06 UTC

On 10/31/2021 12:28 PM, Clocky wrote:
> On 30/10/2021 7:57 pm, Noddy wrote:
>>
>> OT: Car post
>>

> It's not a car. Try aus.trucks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Why?, its *Not* a truck!. Only seppo`s (and you) call a *utility
vehicle* a truck.

--
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea. Massive,
mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it." — Gene

Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<iu6iedFoasmU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6867&group=aus.cars#6867

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 13:55:56 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 03:55 UTC

On 30/10/2021 9:57 pm, Noddy wrote:

> [...]
> exact same thing that fucked up in the first place.
>
> So we move to plan B, which is to try using a remote ignition module.
>
> Given that the triggering mechanism in the distributor is a basic single
> pole reluctor it should work with *any* generic module like a Bosch 021
> or a GM HEI, and given that I have both of those here and nothing else
> to lose my plan is to gut the distributor and just leave the reluctor
> and pickup in place and feed those into a 4 pin HEI module which I can
> mount in an enclosure on the firewall. I can't see why it wouldn't work,
> and I'll know by this time tomorrow if it does. If it does it will be a
> good cheap home brew fix that will hopefully help other MSD owners avoid
> a massive repair bill.
>
> In the mean time, if anyone's thinking of purchasing automotive ignition
> products any time soon my recommendation would be to stay the *fuck*

A bit of a disaster! We have a destroyed MOSFET, an exploded capacitor,
a burnt wire and a resistor that has got so hot that it has melted its
solder connections.

The capacitor that has exploded is interesting, without a circuit I'd
have to guess that it performs the same function as the condensor (an
ancient name for a capacitor) in a Kettering ignition system i.e.
absorbing the back EMF from the primary of the coil when the points open
or in this case when the MOSFET switches off. If that were the case then
the MOSFET would get the whole back EMF and self destruct. The resistor
that fell out could possibly be a ballast resistor, if the MOSFET failed
short circuit then 12v would be constantly across the coil primary and
the resistor in series and the resistor would be dissipating rather more
power than it was designed for (remember the days when it was
recommended not to leave the ignition on for long periods with the
engine stopped to avoid overheating the ballast resistor). The wire is
only burned in on spot, probably because it was in contact with the
resistor.

The upshot is that my guess is that the capacitor was underrated and its
demise lead to all of this.

Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<slli9o$o5j$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6871&group=aus.cars#6871

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 15:57:36 +0800
 by: Clocky - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 07:57 UTC

On 31/10/2021 11:55 am, keithr0 wrote:
> [...]
> absorbing the back EMF from the primary of the coil when the points open
> or in this case when the MOSFET switches off. If that were the case then
> the MOSFET would get the whole back EMF and self destruct. The resistor
> that fell out could possibly be a ballast resistor, if the MOSFET failed
> short circuit then 12v would be constantly across the coil primary and
> the resistor in series and the resistor would be dissipating rather more
> power than it was designed for (remember the days when it was
> recommended not to leave the ignition on for long periods with the
> engine stopped to avoid overheating the ballast resistor). The wire is
> only burned in on spot, probably because it was in contact with the
> resistor.
>
> The upshot is that my guess is that the capacitor was underrated and its

There are a few components that need to be checked if a repair is
attempted. Since he reported erratic ignition stumble prior to failure I
know *exactly* where I would start. The repair is trivial, anyone with
basic electronics knowledge and soldering skill can fix it for a few
dollars.

Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<sllj21$sp5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6872&group=aus.cars#6872

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 19:10:38 +1100
 by: Noddy - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 08:10 UTC

On 31/10/2021 9:04 am, Daryl wrote:

>> In the mean time, if anyone's thinking of purchasing automotive
>> ignition products any time soon my recommendation would be to stay the
>> *fuck* away from anything offered by MSD.
>

> Jesus, that's appalling, just shows you what can happen when big
> companies try to save money and sub contract out their work to Chinese
> companies at the lowest price.
> Makes me a bit nervous about the dizzy we just fitted to the Torana,
> pretty sure it was labelled MSD

MSD has been making after market ignition components for 40 years, and
their stuff used to be rock solid. But like a lot of things these days
they're no longer the fine product manufacturers they once were. The
internet is *crawling* with complaints about their stuff, and most of it
seems to be centred around it being cheap and nasty shit that is
unreliable. This stuff certainly was, despite it being installed exactly
as the manufacturer recommended.

If it's any consolation, the external HEI module works a treat, and
after taking it for a test drive this afternoon it's going the best it
ever has.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<sllj42$sp5$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6873&group=aus.cars#6873

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 19:11:45 +1100
 by: Noddy - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 08:11 UTC

On 31/10/2021 2:06 pm, jonz wrote:
> On 10/31/2021 12:28 PM, Clocky wrote:
>> On 30/10/2021 7:57 pm, Noddy wrote:
>>>
>>> OT: Car post
>>>

>> It's not a car. Try aus.trucks
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>  Why?, its *Not* a truck!. Only seppo`s (and you) call a *utility
> vehicle* a truck.

Jerky Birko suffering from a bit of relevance deprivation, is he?

How sad :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<iu72otFr5qlU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6874&group=aus.cars#6874

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 19:34:37 +1100
 by: Daryl - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 08:34 UTC

On 31/10/21 7:10 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 31/10/2021 9:04 am, Daryl wrote:
>
>>> In the mean time, if anyone's thinking of purchasing automotive
>>> ignition products any time soon my recommendation would be to stay
>>> the *fuck* away from anything offered by MSD.
>>

>> Jesus, that's appalling, just shows you what can happen when big
>> companies try to save money and sub contract out their work to Chinese
>> companies at the lowest price.
>> Makes me a bit nervous about the dizzy we just fitted to the Torana,
>> pretty sure it was labelled MSD
>
> MSD has been making after market ignition components for 40 years, and
> their stuff used to be rock solid. But like a lot of things these days
> they're no longer the fine product manufacturers they once were. The
> internet is *crawling* with complaints about their stuff, and most of it
> seems to be centred around it being cheap and nasty shit that is
> unreliable. This stuff certainly was, despite it being installed exactly
> as the manufacturer recommended.
>
> If it's any consolation, the external HEI module works a treat, and
> after taking it for a test drive this afternoon it's going the best it
> ever has.

Nice cheap fix, well done:-)

--
Daryl

Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<sllkm2$5sr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6875&group=aus.cars#6875

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 19:38:23 +1100
 by: Noddy - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 08:38 UTC

On 31/10/2021 2:55 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 30/10/2021 9:57 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> In the mean time, if anyone's thinking of purchasing automotive
>> ignition products any time soon my recommendation would be to stay the
>> *fuck* away from anything offered by MSD.
>
> A bit of a disaster! We have a destroyed MOSFET, an exploded capacitor,
> a burnt wire and a resistor that has got so hot that it has melted its
> solder connections.

Yeah, it's about as great a failure as you could ever hope for in
something like this :)

> The capacitor that has exploded is interesting, without a circuit I'd
> have to guess that it performs the same function as the condensor (an
> ancient name for a capacitor) in a Kettering ignition system i.e.
> absorbing the back EMF from the primary of the coil when the points open
> or in this case when the MOSFET switches off. If that were the case then
> the MOSFET would get the whole back EMF and self destruct. The resistor
> that fell out could possibly be a ballast resistor, if the MOSFET failed
> short circuit then 12v would be constantly across the coil primary and
> the resistor in series and the resistor would be dissipating rather more
> power than it was designed for (remember the days when it was
> recommended not to leave the ignition on for long periods with the
> engine stopped to avoid overheating the ballast resistor). The wire is
> only burned in on spot, probably because it was in contact with the
> resistor.

Yeah, it was actually jammed into the gap between the capacitor and
resistor when the base plate was lifted out.

> The upshot is that my guess is that the capacitor was underrated and its
> demise lead to all of this.

Possibly, but we'll never know.

These things are designed to run at straight battery voltage with no
ballast resistor in place, and in fact to wire them any other way will
void the warranty. It was hooked up with an ignition switch triggered
relay providing direct battery power to the coil and ignition module as
per MSD's installation instructions, and the alternator on this truck
runs right at 13.8 volts.

In terms of installation requirements, it was right where it was
supposed to be and it still blew itself apart anyway. That combined with
the fact there are a large number of complaints from people suffering
similar problems as well as the logic boards on these distributors
having gone through a few upgrades over the last couple of years
suggests that the hardware itself was completely inadequate for the task
at hand and it has taken MSD some time to get their shit sorted.

Assuming that it *is* sorted obviously :)

For my part I've solved the problem by ditching the built in MSD
controller and substituting an externally mounted GM HEI unit with has
exactly the same functions as the MSD unit but without the built in Rev
limiter, and given that I wasn't using that anyway I can live without it.

Took the thing for a drive this afternoon and it's running very well,
and in fact better than it has been previously given that it's always
had some "fluffiness" due to irregular spark action. Problem now solved,
and with the best part being that a replacement HEI modules are commonly
available and can be had for 30 bucks.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<iu764aFrrroU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6878&group=aus.cars#6878

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 20:31:52 +1100
 by: Daryl - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 09:31 UTC

On 31/10/21 7:38 pm, Noddy wrote:

> For my part I've solved the problem by ditching the built in MSD
> controller and substituting an externally mounted GM HEI unit with has
> exactly the same functions as the MSD unit but without the built in Rev
> limiter, and given that I wasn't using that anyway I can live without it.
>
> Took the thing for a drive this afternoon and it's running very well,
> and in fact better than it has been previously given that it's always
> had some "fluffiness" due to irregular spark action. Problem now solved,
> and with the best part being that a replacement HEI modules are commonly
> available and can be had for 30 bucks.

Looks like the fools who run MSD have ruined their reputation in a
effort to increase short term profits which in the long run will have
the opposite effect, not clever at all.

--
Daryl

Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<sllshn$noh$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6880&group=aus.cars#6880

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:52:38 +1100
 by: Noddy - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 10:52 UTC

On 31/10/2021 8:31 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 31/10/21 7:38 pm, Noddy wrote:
>
>> For my part I've solved the problem by ditching the built in MSD
>> controller and substituting an externally mounted GM HEI unit with has
>> exactly the same functions as the MSD unit but without the built in
>> Rev limiter, and given that I wasn't using that anyway I can live
>> without it.
>>
>> Took the thing for a drive this afternoon and it's running very well,
>> and in fact better than it has been previously given that it's always
>> had some "fluffiness" due to irregular spark action. Problem now
>> solved, and with the best part being that a replacement HEI modules
>> are commonly available and can be had for 30 bucks.
>>

> Looks like the fools who run MSD have ruined their reputation in a
> effort to increase short term profits which in the long run will have
> the opposite effect, not clever at all.

No, not really.

Holley owns it now, as well as Mallory, Accel, Wieand, Mr Gasket and a
whole bunch of other after market parts suppliers with a lot of it being
made in China on the cheap.

Quality products from established brands are a dying breed.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<slm10p$k7r$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6883&group=aus.cars#6883

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 20:08:57 +0800
 by: Clocky - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 12:08 UTC

On 31/10/2021 4:38 pm, Noddy wrote:
> [...]
> the fact there are a large number of complaints from people suffering
> similar problems as well as the logic boards on these distributors
> having gone through a few upgrades over the last couple of years
> suggests that the hardware itself was completely inadequate for the task
> at hand and it has taken MSD some time to get their shit sorted.
>
> Assuming that it *is* sorted obviously :)
>
> For my part I've solved the problem by ditching the built in MSD
> controller and substituting an externally mounted GM HEI unit with has
> exactly the same functions as the MSD unit but without the built in Rev
> limiter, and given that I wasn't using that anyway I can live without it.
>
> Took the thing for a drive this afternoon and it's running very well,
> and in fact better than it has been previously given that it's always
> had some "fluffiness" due to irregular spark action.

"Irregular spark action" is the clue as to why it blew in the first
place. Some "mechanic" you are... LOL!

Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<qkutngpv95ci7jlhmmghs6t08ffb6fp1v6@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6885&group=aus.cars#6885

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2021 07:33:34 +1100
 by: Peter Jason - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 20:33 UTC

On Sat, 30 Oct 2021 22:57:29 +1100, Noddy <me@home.com> wrote:

>OT: Car post
>
>As most of you are aware I own a 1956 Ford F-100. It's a cool old thing
>and I love it to death.
>
>But....
>
>It was put together by a bloke who really had no idea what he was doing,
>and I've been chasing problems with it ever since I bought it last year.
Of course. Old cars suffer from a myriad of problems most of which
are hidden. My poor cousin is restoring a very old Bugatti and was
told the wreck he bought was a pastiche of various models. He has
spent a fortune on machining costs, coach work, primitive-engine
repairs, radiator reconstruction, body welding etc and the latest
disaster involves the drive shaft which is too long or too short now
necessitating an adjustment via specialist lathe work. Or even
stretching the whole body.
Old cars come with inherent problems:
1/ Where are the original engineering drawings?
2/ Where is the service manual?
3/ Are there unique part numbers?
4/ Are contemporaneous experts still alive?
5/ Are you, the restorer, rich?
6/ Any provenance?
7/ Spare parts; if & where?
8/ Can you drive the fugging thing on modern roads?
9/ Does it have to stored in cotton wool?

I have survived to tell thee!

Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<pl326xkjj3qi$.9o7oqvwlwj8m.dlg@40tude.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6886&group=aus.cars#6886

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 07:11:35 +1000
 by: alvey - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:11 UTC

On Sun, 31 Oct 2021 19:11:45 +1100, Noddy wrote:

> On 31/10/2021 2:06 pm, jonz wrote:

>>> It's not a car. Try aus.trucks
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>>  Why?, its *Not* a truck!. Only seppo`s (and you) call a *utility
>> vehicle* a truck.
>
> Jerky Birko suffering from a bit of relevance deprivation, is he?

lol.

I still get a laugh everytime the Fraudster plays his "relevance
deprivation" card. It reminds me of 'Opposite Day' from Archer.

alvey

Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<18qqwqhqga1x$.15l8jf8gyxa11$.dlg@40tude.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6887&group=aus.cars#6887

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 07:14:08 +1000
 by: alvey - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:14 UTC

On Sun, 31 Oct 2021 20:31:52 +1100, Daryl wrote:

> On 31/10/21 7:38 pm, Noddy wrote:
>
>> For my part I've solved the problem by ditching the built in MSD
>> controller and substituting an externally mounted GM HEI unit with has
>> exactly the same functions as the MSD unit but without the built in Rev
>> limiter, and given that I wasn't using that anyway I can live without it.
>>
>> Took the thing for a drive this afternoon and it's running very well,
>> and in fact better than it has been previously given that it's always
>> had some "fluffiness" due to irregular spark action. Problem now solved,
>> and with the best part being that a replacement HEI modules are commonly
>> available and can be had for 30 bucks.
>>
> Looks like the fools who run MSD have ruined their reputation in a
> effort to increase short term profits which in the long run will have
> the opposite effect, not clever at all.

Business advice from Deryl?

alvey

Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<iu8kusF620kU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6891&group=aus.cars#6891

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 09:51:06 +1100
 by: Daryl - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 22:51 UTC

On 1/11/21 7:33 am, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2021 22:57:29 +1100, Noddy <me@home.com> wrote:
>

>> OT: Car post
>>
>> As most of you are aware I own a 1956 Ford F-100. It's a cool old thing
>> and I love it to death.
>>
>> But....
>>
>> It was put together by a bloke who really had no idea what he was doing,
>> and I've been chasing problems with it ever since I bought it last year.
> Of course. Old cars suffer from a myriad of problems most of which
> are hidden. My poor cousin is restoring a very old Bugatti and was
> told the wreck he bought was a pastiche of various models. He has
> spent a fortune on machining costs, coach work, primitive-engine
> repairs, radiator reconstruction, body welding etc and the latest
> disaster involves the drive shaft which is too long or too short now
> necessitating an adjustment via specialist lathe work. Or even
> stretching the whole body.
> Old cars come with inherent problems:
> 1/ Where are the original engineering drawings?
> 2/ Where is the service manual?
> 3/ Are there unique part numbers?
> 4/ Are contemporaneous experts still alive?
> 5/ Are you, the restorer, rich?
> 6/ Any provenance?
> 7/ Spare parts; if & where?
> 8/ Can you drive the fugging thing on modern roads?
> 9/ Does it have to stored in cotton wool?
>
> I have survived to tell thee!

Depending on the exact model Bugatti's can be worth a fortune so in that
instance it would generally worth the time, money and effort.
I've seen quite a few very old Bugatti's worth well in excess of
$1million each being raced at the Phillip Island Classic.
One such car was actually imported into Australia by a mates Grandfather
just after WW1, mate was able to identify the car because of some
welding on the crankcase, apparently during a race it threw a conrod
through the side of the crankcase, it was dismantled and the hole welded
up them put back together and its still that way almost 100yrs later:-)

Daryl

Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<sln88g$mkt$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6894&group=aus.cars#6894

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 10:18:38 +1100
 by: Noddy - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 23:18 UTC

On 1/11/2021 7:33 am, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2021 22:57:29 +1100, Noddy <me@home.com> wrote:
>

>> OT: Car post
>>
>> As most of you are aware I own a 1956 Ford F-100. It's a cool old thing
>> and I love it to death.
>>
>> But....
>>
>> It was put together by a bloke who really had no idea what he was doing,
>> and I've been chasing problems with it ever since I bought it last year.

> Of course. Old cars suffer from a myriad of problems most of which
> are hidden. My poor cousin is restoring a very old Bugatti

I'll let you in on a little secret here. There are very few "poor"
people who own "very old" Bugatti's, and even fewer who restore them.

> and was told the wreck he bought was a pastiche of various models. He has
> spent a fortune on machining costs, coach work, primitive-engine
> repairs, radiator reconstruction, body welding etc and the latest
> disaster involves the drive shaft which is too long or too short now
> necessitating an adjustment via specialist lathe work. Or even
> stretching the whole body.

I'm sorry? Stretching bodywork to accomodate a drive shaft that is the
wrong length?

Seriously, why do you bother making this stuff up? It's clear to Helen
Keller that you have no idea what you're talking about, and are only
making yourself look like a complete idiot.

> Old cars come with inherent problems:
> 1/ Where are the original engineering drawings?
> 2/ Where is the service manual?
> 3/ Are there unique part numbers?
> 4/ Are contemporaneous experts still alive?
> 5/ Are you, the restorer, rich?
> 6/ Any provenance?
> 7/ Spare parts; if & where?
> 8/ Can you drive the fugging thing on modern roads?
> 9/ Does it have to stored in cotton wool?
>
> I have survived to tell thee!

Yeah, I don't think so. I don't think you know one end of a car from
another.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<617f2f06$1@news.ausics.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6895&group=aus.cars#6895

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: yep...@ausics.net (Clocky)
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 08:04:22 +0800
 by: Clocky - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 00:04 UTC

On 1/11/2021 5:11 am, alvey wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Oct 2021 19:11:45 +1100, Noddy wrote:

>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>>
>>>  Why?, its *Not* a truck!. Only seppo`s (and you) call a *utility
>>> vehicle* a truck.
>>
>> Jerky Birko suffering from a bit of relevance deprivation, is he?
>
> lol.
>
> I still get a laugh everytime the Fraudster plays his "relevance
> deprivation" card. It reminds me of 'Opposite Day' from Archer.
>

> alvey

It's hilarious when you consider the original grandstanding relevance
deprived post where anyone with a clue would have just correctly
diagnosed fixed it without making a big song and dance about it.

This remedial shit he posts is just too funny to someone with
qualifications and he's never know why :-)

Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<617f2f55$1@news.ausics.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6896&group=aus.cars#6896

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: yep...@ausics.net (Clocky)
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 08:05:42 +0800
 by: Clocky - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 00:05 UTC

On 31/10/2021 5:31 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 31/10/21 7:38 pm, Noddy wrote:
>
>> For my part I've solved the problem by ditching the built in MSD
>> controller and substituting an externally mounted GM HEI unit with has
>> exactly the same functions as the MSD unit but without the built in
>> Rev limiter, and given that I wasn't using that anyway I can live
>> without it.
>>
>> Took the thing for a drive this afternoon and it's running very well,
>> and in fact better than it has been previously given that it's always
>> had some "fluffiness" due to irregular spark action. Problem now
>> solved, and with the best part being that a replacement HEI modules
>> are commonly available and can be had for 30 bucks.
>>

> Looks like the fools who run MSD have ruined their reputation in a
> effort to increase short term profits which in the long run will have
> the opposite effect, not clever at all.

You should stick to failed contract based super plans you dimwit.

Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<617f3165@news.ausics.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6897&group=aus.cars#6897

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: yep...@ausics.net (Clocky)
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 08:14:29 +0800
 by: Clocky - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 00:14 UTC

On 1/11/2021 4:33 am, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2021 22:57:29 +1100, Noddy <me@home.com> wrote:
>

>> OT: Car post
>>
>> As most of you are aware I own a 1956 Ford F-100. It's a cool old thing
>> and I love it to death.
>>
>> But....
>>
>> It was put together by a bloke who really had no idea what he was doing,
>> and I've been chasing problems with it ever since I bought it last year.
> Of course.

No, he just likes to belittle others so he feels 'superior'. It's a
narcissistic sociopathic trait and he ticks all those boxes.

Don't forget this is the irresponsible failed parent who won't put a
seat belt on his own kid when he's passenger in an inherently unsafe
vehicle claiming the belt isn't anchored properly anyway... yet with all
his chickenshit welding experience he boasts about can't be bothered to
fix that issue.

Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<617f5e01$1@news.ausics.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6899&group=aus.cars#6899

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: yep...@ausics.net (Clocky)
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 11:24:50 +0800
 by: Clocky - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 03:24 UTC

On 31/10/2021 11:06 am, jonz wrote:
> On 10/31/2021 12:28 PM, Clocky wrote:
>> On 30/10/2021 7:57 pm, Noddy wrote:
>>>
>>> OT: Car post
>>>

>> It's not a car. Try aus.trucks
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>  Why?, its *Not* a truck!. Only seppo`s (and you) call a *utility
> vehicle* a truck.

The bloke who owns it and refers to you as the 'village idiot' calls it
a truck.

Let that sink into your stem cell for a while you dimwit.

Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

<o9nung14ps92nfnkvplf1r80nhu1bi0beb@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6900&group=aus.cars#6900

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2021 14:27:01 +1100
 by: Peter Jason - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 03:27 UTC

On Mon, 1 Nov 2021 10:18:38 +1100, Noddy <me@home.com> wrote:

>On 1/11/2021 7:33 am, Peter Jason wrote:
>> On Sat, 30 Oct 2021 22:57:29 +1100, Noddy <me@home.com> wrote:
>>

>>> OT: Car post
>>>
>>> As most of you are aware I own a 1956 Ford F-100. It's a cool old thing
>>> and I love it to death.
>>>
>>> But....
>>>
>>> It was put together by a bloke who really had no idea what he was doing,
>>> and I've been chasing problems with it ever since I bought it last year.
>
>> Of course. Old cars suffer from a myriad of problems most of which
>> are hidden. My poor cousin is restoring a very old Bugatti
>
>I'll let you in on a little secret here. There are very few "poor"
>people who own "very old" Bugatti's, and even fewer who restore them.
>
>> and was told the wreck he bought was a pastiche of various models. He has
>> spent a fortune on machining costs, coach work, primitive-engine
>> repairs, radiator reconstruction, body welding etc and the latest
>> disaster involves the drive shaft which is too long or too short now
>> necessitating an adjustment via specialist lathe work. Or even
>> stretching the whole body.
>
>I'm sorry? Stretching bodywork to accomodate a drive shaft that is the
>wrong length?
Yep. Cheaper, evidently. The bodywork is all welds and not critical
to engine performance.

>Seriously, why do you bother making this stuff up? It's clear to Helen
>Keller that you have no idea what you're talking about, and are only
>making yourself look like a complete idiot.

Clearly you're an armchair restorer. I have dabbled in the art
restoring an old 1930s Austin7 convertible. But I was lucky enough to
find an old mechanic who used to rebuild the tiny engines. The
bodywork defeated me because of the stellar costs. The brakes were a
joke.

>> Old cars come with inherent problems:
>> 1/ Where are the original engineering drawings?
>> 2/ Where is the service manual?
>> 3/ Are there unique part numbers?
>> 4/ Are contemporaneous experts still alive?
>> 5/ Are you, the restorer, rich?
>> 6/ Any provenance?
>> 7/ Spare parts; if & where?
>> 8/ Can you drive the fugging thing on modern roads?
>> 9/ Does it have to stored in cotton wool?
>>
>> I have survived to tell thee!
>
>Yeah, I don't think so. I don't think you know one end of a car from
>another.

I don't care.