Do not sleep in a eucalyptus tree tonight.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?

SubjectAuthor
* message from google about security might affect Agent users?Penny
+* message from google about security might affect Agent users?Nick Odell
|`* message from google about security might affect Agent users?J. P. Gilliver (John)
| `* message from google about security might affect Agent users?Nick Odell
|  `* message from google about security might affect Agent users?Serena Blanchflower
|   `- message from google about security might affect Agent users?J. P. Gilliver (John)
`* message from google about security might affect Agent users?Serena Blanchflower
 `* message from google about security might affect Agent users?Penny
  `* message from google about security might affect Agent users?Nick Odell
   `* message from google about security might affect Agent users?Nick Odell
    `- message from google about security might affect Agent users?Penny

1
Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?

<v2v42h5a3d4439745icic38f8v6n569lce@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6854&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6854

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2022 21:01:38 +0000
 by: Penny - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 21:01 UTC

On Fri, 04 Mar 2022 10:54:34 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> scrawled
in the dust...

>To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the
>use of
>third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google
>Account
>using only your username and password. Instead, you’ll need to sign in
>using Sign in with Google
>
>What do you need to do?*
>
>*Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier,* has less secure access
>your Gmail. Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer, or any other
>email
>software where you can sign in using *Sign in with Google*.
>Learn more
>
>https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?rfn=1646361360139&anexp=nret-fa&pli=1#zippy=%2Cupdate-your-app-or-operating-system%2Cuse-more-secure-apps
>
>Not had the problem yet. Would Agent give an upgrade to fix anything?
>I did buy an upgrade a couple of years ago, having had Agent since the
>flood.

I was baffled by this. I'm using a free download of Agent from 1999 (I
think), later 'improved' by use of a borrowed(!) key code - I run it from a
thumb drive.
I do use it for sending usenet associated email from time to time, but that
has nothing to do with Google. I don't think there is a password for it.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?

<82452hpdh48hbo8rk3s8bonb71al2r2jim@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6857&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6857

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2022 22:20:54 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 22:20 UTC

On Fri, 04 Mar 2022 21:01:38 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 04 Mar 2022 10:54:34 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> scrawled
>in the dust...
>
>>To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the
>>use of
>>third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google
>>Account
>>using only your username and password. Instead, you’ll need to sign in
>>using Sign in with Google
>>
>>What do you need to do?*
>>
>>*Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier,* has less secure access
>>your Gmail. Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer, or any other
>>email
>>software where you can sign in using *Sign in with Google*.
>>Learn more
>>
>>https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?rfn=1646361360139&anexp=nret-fa&pli=1#zippy=%2Cupdate-your-app-or-operating-system%2Cuse-more-secure-apps
>>
>>Not had the problem yet. Would Agent give an upgrade to fix anything?
>>I did buy an upgrade a couple of years ago, having had Agent since the
>>flood.
>
>I was baffled by this. I'm using a free download of Agent from 1999 (I
>think), later 'improved' by use of a borrowed(!) key code - I run it from a
>thumb drive.
>I do use it for sending usenet associated email from time to time, but that
>has nothing to do with Google. I don't think there is a password for it.

Same here. The email address I use is the Plusnet one (above) so
there's no connection with Google. I wonder if it is different if you
use a Gmail address?

Nick

Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?

<dSYHzU+uJqIiFwwn@a.a>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6859&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6859

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 23:36:14 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 23:36 UTC

On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 at 22:20:54, Nick Odell
<nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>On Fri, 04 Mar 2022 21:01:38 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
>wrote:
[]
>>I was baffled by this. I'm using a free download of Agent from 1999 (I
>>think), later 'improved' by use of a borrowed(!) key code - I run it from a
>>thumb drive.
>>I do use it for sending usenet associated email from time to time, but that
>>has nothing to do with Google. I don't think there is a password for it.
>
>Same here. The email address I use is the Plusnet one (above) so
>there's no connection with Google. I wonder if it is different if you
>use a Gmail address?
>
>Nick

PlusNet don't - yet - require any of the more recent security
"enhancements" to use their outgoing or incoming mail servers, I don't
think.

- Fan (to Fats Waller) "I want to be a drummer when I grow up."
- Fats Waller "Son, you can't do both."
[Tweeted by "Optopian @ImBuddhish" 2021-5-29]

Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?

<m5o62hh4bi71l78tv6m9oh7cf2k3poceeg@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6865&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6865

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2022 13:10:18 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 13:10 UTC

On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 23:36:14 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 at 22:20:54, Nick Odell
><nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>>On Fri, 04 Mar 2022 21:01:38 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
>>wrote:
>[]
>>>I was baffled by this. I'm using a free download of Agent from 1999 (I
>>>think), later 'improved' by use of a borrowed(!) key code - I run it from a
>>>thumb drive.
>>>I do use it for sending usenet associated email from time to time, but that
>>>has nothing to do with Google. I don't think there is a password for it.
>>
>>Same here. The email address I use is the Plusnet one (above) so
>>there's no connection with Google. I wonder if it is different if you
>>use a Gmail address?
>>
>>Nick
>
>PlusNet don't - yet - require any of the more recent security
>"enhancements" to use their outgoing or incoming mail servers, I don't
>think.

That's interesting because I get an order of magnitude less spam
through my Plusnet account than any of my other email accounts. So
they must be doing something to protect me from the outside world.

Nick

Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?

<svvutt$53i$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6869&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6869

From: nos...@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 15:17:16 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 15:17 UTC

On 04/03/2022 21:01, Penny wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Mar 2022 10:54:34 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> scrawled
> in the dust...
>
>> To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the
>> use of
>> third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google
>> Account
>> using only your username and password. Instead, you’ll need to sign in
>> using Sign in with Google
>>
>> What do you need to do?*
>>
>> *Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier,* has less secure access
>> your Gmail. Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer, or any other
>> email
>> software where you can sign in using *Sign in with Google*.
>> Learn more
>>
>> https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?rfn=1646361360139&anexp=nret-fa&pli=1#zippy=%2Cupdate-your-app-or-operating-system%2Cuse-more-secure-apps
>>
>> Not had the problem yet. Would Agent give an upgrade to fix anything?
>> I did buy an upgrade a couple of years ago, having had Agent since the
>> flood.
>
> I was baffled by this. I'm using a free download of Agent from 1999 (I
> think), later 'improved' by use of a borrowed(!) key code - I run it from a
> thumb drive.
> I do use it for sending usenet associated email from time to time, but that
> has nothing to do with Google. I don't think there is a password for it.

If you're not using Agent to access a google account (including for
outgoing mail) I don't think it will affect you.

I had to change to using an app password, set up through the gmail
webpages, to allow me to use Thunderbird to read/send stuff through my
gmail account. From memory, I didn't have to do anything to keep TB
working nicely with my other email accounts.

--
Best wishes, Serena
Enjoy life, you will never get out alive.

Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?

<svvv3r$6jq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6870&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6870

From: nos...@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 15:20:26 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 15:20 UTC

On 05/03/2022 13:10, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 23:36:14 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
> <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 at 22:20:54, Nick Odell
>> <nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>>> On Fri, 04 Mar 2022 21:01:38 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
>>> wrote:
>> []
>>>
>>> Same here. The email address I use is the Plusnet one (above) so
>>> there's no connection with Google. I wonder if it is different if you
>>> use a Gmail address?
>>>
>>> Nick
>>
>> PlusNet don't - yet - require any of the more recent security
>> "enhancements" to use their outgoing or incoming mail servers, I don't
>> think.
>
> That's interesting because I get an order of magnitude less spam
> through my Plusnet account than any of my other email accounts. So
> they must be doing something to protect me from the outside world.

It's a few years since I've used Plusnet as my main email account but,
IIRC, one of the factors in moving away from them was that their spam
filters were rather over fierce. Even when I whitelisted one or two
correspondents, I still kept finding their emails in my spam folder :(

They still don't require a password to access your mailbox though, or at
least, not so long as you're accessing it through a Plusnet connection.

--
Best wishes, Serena
Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke

Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?

<bh072h153cjbosr0nu6a9afpf0ba937kkn@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6871&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6871

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2022 15:43:01 +0000
 by: Penny - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 15:43 UTC

On Sat, 5 Mar 2022 15:17:16 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
<nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> scrawled in the dust...

>On 04/03/2022 21:01, Penny wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 Mar 2022 10:54:34 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> scrawled
>> in the dust...
>>
>>> To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the
>>> use of
>>> third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google
>>> Account
>>> using only your username and password. Instead, you’ll need to sign in
>>> using Sign in with Google
>>>
>>> What do you need to do?*
>>>
>>> *Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier,* has less secure access
>>> your Gmail. Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer, or any other
>>> email
>>> software where you can sign in using *Sign in with Google*.
>>> Learn more
>>>
>>> https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?rfn=1646361360139&anexp=nret-fa&pli=1#zippy=%2Cupdate-your-app-or-operating-system%2Cuse-more-secure-apps
>>>
>>> Not had the problem yet. Would Agent give an upgrade to fix anything?
>>> I did buy an upgrade a couple of years ago, having had Agent since the
>>> flood.
>>
>> I was baffled by this. I'm using a free download of Agent from 1999 (I
>> think), later 'improved' by use of a borrowed(!) key code - I run it from a
>> thumb drive.
>> I do use it for sending usenet associated email from time to time, but that
>> has nothing to do with Google. I don't think there is a password for it.
>

>If you're not using Agent to access a google account (including for
>outgoing mail) I don't think it will affect you.
>
>I had to change to using an app password, set up through the gmail
>webpages, to allow me to use Thunderbird to read/send stuff through my
>gmail account. From memory, I didn't have to do anything to keep TB
>working nicely with my other email accounts.

Thanks, should be ok then, I send everything from Agent through plusnet*
and don't fetch emails to Agent (except by mistake). I suppose it must be
set up to fetch from plusnet but only plusnet itself uses that email
address.

*Though I'm not sure the message I sent to Nick earlier actually went
anywhere, the most recent message in my Sent email file is dated Nov
2017...
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?

<OPnTE7FSh5IiFwCZ@a.a>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6873&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6873

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 17:05:22 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 17:05 UTC

On Sat, 5 Mar 2022 at 15:20:26, Serena Blanchflower
<nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>On 05/03/2022 13:10, Nick Odell wrote:
>> On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 23:36:14 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
>> <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
[]
>>> PlusNet don't - yet - require any of the more recent security
>>> "enhancements" to use their outgoing or incoming mail servers, I don't
>>> think.
>> That's interesting because I get an order of magnitude less spam
>> through my Plusnet account than any of my other email accounts. So
>> they must be doing something to protect me from the outside world.
>
>It's a few years since I've used Plusnet as my main email account but,
>IIRC, one of the factors in moving away from them was that their spam
>filters were rather over fierce. Even when I whitelisted one or two
>correspondents, I still kept finding their emails in my spam folder :(

I don't remember setting anything up to have them filter my email - I
still collect by POP, and I don't _have_ a "spam folder", either here or
at PlusNet (AFAIK I don't have _any_ "folders" at PlusNet).

I've found their _outgoing_ filtering irritating at times. They
subcontract their email - outgoing at least, probably both - and if the
_body text_ of an email contains a website that the subcontractor has
blacklisted, the email is bounced back to me from the outgoing mail
server. That blacklist is overzealous; I've had it reject the site of a
Dutch museum, and in particular at least one of the common URL
shortening sites. Since it's subcontracted, PlusNet have little ability
- or interest - in getting it backed off somewhat. (Though irritating,
I've got round it - usually by putting spaces in the URLs, so my
correspondent has to remove them. It's not been bad enough to make me
want to move, yet. Their dishonesty over CPI also hasn't, though is
again irritating.)

>They still don't require a password to access your mailbox though, or
>at least, not so long as you're accessing it through a Plusnet
>connection.

I think they do when you're _not_ using a PlusNet connection (but don't
mind if you _do_ use one when you are, so no need to keep switching when
visiting friends). But they _don't_ yet require SSL, let alone the thing
that started this thread.

WANTED, Dead AND Alive: Schrodinger's Cat

Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?

<adp72hpgglimqe53m2ru927objcgf0c373@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6880&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6880

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2022 22:41:32 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 22:41 UTC

On Sat, 05 Mar 2022 15:43:01 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 5 Mar 2022 15:17:16 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
><nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> scrawled in the dust...
>
>>On 04/03/2022 21:01, Penny wrote:
>>> On Fri, 04 Mar 2022 10:54:34 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> scrawled
>>> in the dust...

>>> I was baffled by this. I'm using a free download of Agent from 1999 (I
>>> think), later 'improved' by use of a borrowed(!) key code - I run it from a
>>> thumb drive.
>>> I do use it for sending usenet associated email from time to time, but that
>>> has nothing to do with Google. I don't think there is a password for it.
>>

>>If you're not using Agent to access a google account (including for
>>outgoing mail) I don't think it will affect you.
>>
>>I had to change to using an app password, set up through the gmail
>>webpages, to allow me to use Thunderbird to read/send stuff through my
>>gmail account. From memory, I didn't have to do anything to keep TB
>>working nicely with my other email accounts.
>
>Thanks, should be ok then, I send everything from Agent through plusnet*
>and don't fetch emails to Agent (except by mistake). I suppose it must be
>set up to fetch from plusnet but only plusnet itself uses that email
>address.
>
>*Though I'm not sure the message I sent to Nick earlier actually went
>anywhere, the most recent message in my Sent email file is dated Nov
>2017...

It looks as if I received that email at 13:something. I forget what
the something was. I'm sure there is an incredibly easy way of setting
up a new email account but I'm nuggered if I can find it right now.

Nick

Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?

<njq72h51rfkr38cflfhgqjfumbhvanl06u@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6881&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6881

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2022 22:56:31 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 22:56 UTC

On Sat, 05 Mar 2022 22:41:32 +0000, Nick Odell
<nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Mar 2022 15:43:01 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 5 Mar 2022 15:17:16 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
>><nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> scrawled in the dust...

>>>If you're not using Agent to access a google account (including for
>>>outgoing mail) I don't think it will affect you.
>>>
>>>I had to change to using an app password, set up through the gmail
>>>webpages, to allow me to use Thunderbird to read/send stuff through my
>>>gmail account. From memory, I didn't have to do anything to keep TB
>>>working nicely with my other email accounts.
>>
>>Thanks, should be ok then, I send everything from Agent through plusnet*
>>and don't fetch emails to Agent (except by mistake). I suppose it must be
>>set up to fetch from plusnet but only plusnet itself uses that email
>>address.
>>
>>*Though I'm not sure the message I sent to Nick earlier actually went
>>anywhere, the most recent message in my Sent email file is dated Nov
>>2017...
>
>It looks as if I received that email at 13:something. I forget what
>the something was. I'm sure there is an incredibly easy way of setting
>up a new email account but I'm nuggered if I can find it right now.

PS I haven't worked out the logic behind Agent's filing of emails but
it's possible that the email you sent didn't get filed in your "Sent"
folder.

My first Matthew Broughton email to you was automatically filed in
"Sent." Your first reply in "Inbox." Thereafter, Agent has threaded
the rest of the conversation - incoming and outgoing - in "Inbox."

Me neither.

Nick

Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?

<lh4a2hhmt103r7n64j5uc6nvkisrat2623@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6896&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6896

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 20:18:23 +0000
 by: Penny - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 20:18 UTC

On Sat, 05 Mar 2022 22:56:31 +0000, Nick Odell
<nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> scrawled in the dust...

>On Sat, 05 Mar 2022 22:41:32 +0000, Nick Odell
><nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 05 Mar 2022 15:43:01 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
>>wrote:

>>>*Though I'm not sure the message I sent to Nick earlier actually went
>>>anywhere, the most recent message in my Sent email file is dated Nov
>>>2017...
>>
>>It looks as if I received that email at 13:something. I forget what
>>the something was. I'm sure there is an incredibly easy way of setting
>>up a new email account but I'm nuggered if I can find it right now.
>>
>PS I haven't worked out the logic behind Agent's filing of emails but
>it's possible that the email you sent didn't get filed in your "Sent"
>folder.
>
>My first Matthew Broughton email to you was automatically filed in
>"Sent." Your first reply in "Inbox." Thereafter, Agent has threaded
>the rest of the conversation - incoming and outgoing - in "Inbox."

I think gmail does that too. I have filters set up for various groupings
which mostly work well. Until I recently realised I was not seeing anything
sent to me by my financial advisers (I may have mentioned this here
before). Turned out they were falling foul of a filter made a long time
back to retain stuff from Facebook but mark it as read and archive it
straight away. Unfortunately, in that early setting of filters I asked it
to do it for any mail which included the word 'facebook', thereby creating
a black hole.

My original IFA was taken over by a larger organisation about 6 months
before the pandemic arrived and the chap I've always seen has retired.
Since they adopted the email footers of the new company which includes an
invitation to 'Find us on Facebook'. I had no idea I'd been missing
anything until someone phoned in January to chase me for a response to an
email.

I found a few other missed emails in that folder too.