I get my exercise acting as pallbearer to my friends who exercise. -- Chauncey Depew

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?Chris J Dixon
`* Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?J. P. Gilliver (John)
 +* Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?Chris J Dixon
 |`- Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?Mike McMillan
 `* Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?Nick Odell
  +- Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?J. P. Gilliver (John)
  `- Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?krw

1
Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?

<fgs32htd4dl8q1cg2qsn200f6ammjanfm9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6845&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6845

From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2022 11:09:11 +0000
 by: Chris J Dixon - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 11:09 UTC

Vicky wrote:

>To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the
>use of
>third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google
>Account
>using only your username and password. Instead, you’ll need to sign in
>using Sign in with Google
>
>What do you need to do?*
>
>*Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier,* has less secure access
>your Gmail. Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer, or any other
>email
>software where you can sign in using *Sign in with Google*.
>Learn more
>
>https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?rfn=1646361360139&anexp=nret-fa&pli=1#zippy=%2Cupdate-your-app-or-operating-system%2Cuse-more-secure-apps
>
>Not had the problem yet. Would Agent give an upgrade to fix anything?
>I did buy an upgrade a couple of years ago, having had Agent since the
>flood.

Agent has long since ceased any active development.

This is from a very knowledgeable source on
alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent

Ralph Fox wrote:

>If you are using your Google/Gmail account password in Agent, then use an
>"app password" instead.
>
> <https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833>
>
>You need to turn on "2-Step Verification" to _create_ the app password,
>but you don't need "2-Step Verification" to _use_ the app password.
>You can turn off "2-Step Verification" after creating the app password,
>and the app password will still work.
>
>Gmail does not want you to use your main Google/Gmail account password
>in your email program. Gmail considers this to be "less secure", and
>wants to turn on 2-step verification if you do.
>
>Gmail's preferred alternative is for your email app to use login
>method = "OAuth". Agent does not support login method = "OAuth".
>Gmail's next alternative is for you to use an "app password" in Agent
>instead of your Google/Gmail account password.

Hope this helps.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?

<SvrUMYuhFjIiFwjU@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6850&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6850

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 15:33:53 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 15:33 UTC

On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 at 11:09:11, Chris J Dixon <chris@cdixon.me.uk> wrote
(my responses usually FOLLOW):
[]
>>You need to turn on "2-Step Verification" to _create_ the app password,
>>but you don't need "2-Step Verification" to _use_ the app password.
>>You can turn off "2-Step Verification" after creating the app password,
>>and the app password will still work.
[]
So, AIUI, you have to turn this thing on _in their webmail interface_ to
_generate_ this "app password", then insert that into your app. (Agent
in Vicky's case) in place of your normal one - is that right?

Of course, this show - like every other cop show on earth - massively
overstates the prevalence of violent crime: last year, in the whole of the UK,
police fired their weapons just three times. And there were precisely zero
fatalities. - Vincent Graff in RT, 2014/11/8-14

Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?

<6je42hpfb7e73sb8bfp7q0n15g8he9dbk1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6852&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6852

From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2022 16:19:23 +0000
 by: Chris J Dixon - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 16:19 UTC

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

>On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 at 11:09:11, Chris J Dixon <chris@cdixon.me.uk> wrote
>(my responses usually FOLLOW):
>[]
>>>You need to turn on "2-Step Verification" to _create_ the app password,
>>>but you don't need "2-Step Verification" to _use_ the app password.
>>>You can turn off "2-Step Verification" after creating the app password,
>>>and the app password will still work.
>[]
>So, AIUI, you have to turn this thing on _in their webmail interface_ to
>_generate_ this "app password", then insert that into your app. (Agent
>in Vicky's case) in place of your normal one - is that right?

I also use Agent, and I think that is pretty much it. AFAIR I
followed the instructions, and it appears (so far) to pass over
the very occasional Gmail that is heading my way.

I only set it up the forwarding following an incident when Virgin
blocked my email, but only advised me of this in an email which
was stopped from reaching me by the very same block.

Hopefully, if this happens again they will use my alternative
email address, but I am far from sure about that. :-(

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
Plant amazing Acers.

Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?

<svtejq$4cc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6853&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6853

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 16:26:34 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:qtbQZj7W+Qtcemcr7FfCPXHy66Y=
 by: Mike McMillan - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 16:26 UTC

Chris J Dixon <chris@cdixon.me.uk> wrote:
> J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 at 11:09:11, Chris J Dixon <chris@cdixon.me.uk> wrote
>> (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>> []
>> []
>> So, AIUI, you have to turn this thing on _in their webmail interface_ to
>> _generate_ this "app password", then insert that into your app. (Agent
>> in Vicky's case) in place of your normal one - is that right?
>
> I also use Agent, and I think that is pretty much it. AFAIR I
> followed the instructions, and it appears (so far) to pass over
> the very occasional Gmail that is heading my way.
>
> I only set it up the forwarding following an incident when Virgin
> blocked my email, but only advised me of this in an email which
> was stopped from reaching me by the very same block.
>
> Hopefully, if this happens again they will use my alternative
> email address, but I am far from sure about that. :-(
>
> Chris

IME, Virginontherediculous don’t do joined-up thinking.:-(

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?

<hn052h9i53alrejg3d633qp8n8kfdrj37r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6855&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6855

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2022 21:26:24 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 21:26 UTC

On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 15:33:53 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>Of course, this show - like every other cop show on earth - massively
>overstates the prevalence of violent crime: last year, in the whole of the UK,
>police fired their weapons just three times. And there were precisely zero
>fatalities. - Vincent Graff in RT, 2014/11/8-14

Living, as we do, in an era of furious fact-checking, I thought to
myself "that's can't possibly be true." So I went and looked it up for
myself. The Home Office figures go from March to March, year on year
so depending on whether you want to take the year to or from March
2013 the answer might be three... or possibly just two. I'm surprised
but rather pleased about that.

Nick

Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?

<vixLvq9JEqIiFwU4@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6858&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6858

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 23:30:17 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 23:30 UTC

On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 at 21:26:24, Nick Odell
<nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 15:33:53 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
><G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>>Of course, this show - like every other cop show on earth - massively
>>overstates the prevalence of violent crime: last year, in the whole of the UK,
>>police fired their weapons just three times. And there were precisely zero
>>fatalities. - Vincent Graff in RT, 2014/11/8-14
>
>Living, as we do, in an era of furious fact-checking, I thought to
>myself "that's can't possibly be true." So I went and looked it up for
>myself. The Home Office figures go from March to March, year on year
>so depending on whether you want to take the year to or from March
>2013 the answer might be three... or possibly just two. I'm surprised
>but rather pleased about that.
>

>Nick

Yes, I was when I read the original. I suspect it might have increased a
bit since 7 or 8 years ago - but still low, I hope.

- Fan (to Fats Waller) "I want to be a drummer when I grow up."
- Fats Waller "Son, you can't do both."
[Tweeted by "Optopian @ImBuddhish" 2021-5-29]

Re: message from google about security might affect Agent users?

<svu9c6$gol$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6860&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6860

From: krw...@whitnet.uk (krw)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 00:03:18 +0000
 by: krw - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 00:03 UTC

On 4.3.22 21:26, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 15:33:53 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
> <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>> Of course, this show - like every other cop show on earth - massively
>> overstates the prevalence of violent crime: last year, in the whole of the UK,
>> police fired their weapons just three times. And there were precisely zero
>> fatalities. - Vincent Graff in RT, 2014/11/8-14
>
> Living, as we do, in an era of furious fact-checking, I thought to
> myself "that's can't possibly be true." So I went and looked it up for
> myself. The Home Office figures go from March to March, year on year
> so depending on whether you want to take the year to or from March
> 2013 the answer might be three... or possibly just two. I'm surprised
> but rather pleased about that.
>

> Nick

I think on the whole there are few illegal guns circulating and few
offences. In the UK though the use of knives as a weapon is very serious.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk