Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around us in awareness. -- James Thurber

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Ukraine

SubjectAuthor
* UkraineSid Nuncius
+* Re: UkraineJohn Ashby
|`- Re: UkraineMike McMillan
+* Re: UkraineJohn Ashby
|+- Re: UkraineMike McMillan
|+* Re: UkraineNick Odell
||`* Re: UkraineJohn Ashby
|| `- Re: UkraineNick Odell
|+* Re: UkraineChris
||+* Re: UkrainePenny
|||`* Re: UkraineMike McMillan
||| `* Re: UkrainePenny
|||  +* Re: UkraineJenny M Benson
|||  |+- Re: UkrainePaul Herber
|||  |`* Re: UkraineNick Odell
|||  | `* Re: UkraineNick Odell
|||  |  `- Re: UkrainePenny
|||  +* Re: UkraineSerena Blanchflower
|||  |+- Re: UkraineMike McMillan
|||  |+* Re: UkraineJim Easterbrook
|||  ||`- Re: UkraineTony Smith
|||  |+* Re: UkraineJohn Ashby
|||  ||`* Re: UkraineSerena Blanchflower
|||  || +- Re: UkraineTony Smith
|||  || `* Re: UkraineMike McMillan
|||  ||  `* Re: UkraineSid Nuncius
|||  ||   +- Re: UkraineMike McMillan
|||  ||   +- Re: UkraineChris J Dixon
|||  ||   +* Re: Ukrainesteve hague
|||  ||   |`- Re: UkraineNick Odell
|||  ||   `- Re: UkraineChris
|||  |+- Re: UkraineSam Plusnet
|||  |`- Re: UkraineChris
|||  `- Re: UkrainePaul Herber
||`- Re: UkraineJohn Ashby
|`- Re: UkraineJohn Ashby
`* Re: UkraineTony Smith
 `* Re: UkraineMike McMillan
  +- Re: UkraineMike McMillan
  +* Re: UkraineJ. P. Gilliver (John)
  |`- Re: UkraineJohn Ashby
  `- Re: UkraineRosalind Mitchell

Pages:12
Re: Ukraine

<j7turoFtq5rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6759&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6759

From: nunc...@hotmail.co.uk (Sid Nuncius)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Ukraine
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 06:15:19 +0000
 by: Sid Nuncius - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 06:15 UTC

On 25/02/2022 21:36, Mike McMillan wrote:
> Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>>> Which is akin to the debate during the unpleasantness in the Former
>>> Yugoslavia over whether it was Kosovo or Kosova. Fence sitters (guilty)
>>> used Kosov@.
>>
>> And whether you call the Northern Irish city Derry or Londonderry.
>
> I’ve heard it refereed to as ‘Stroke City’.

Gerry Anderson - the one who had a brief, unsuccessful, period on R4 on
weekday afternoons presenting Anderson Country, not the Thunderbirds
chap - used to call it that. It's about the only thing I remember about
him or the programme, which had a mercifully short life[1].

[1]He seemed like a decent chap and a perfectly good presenter, but the
tone and format were all wrong for the slot.
--
Sid

Re: Ukraine

<svcrcg$94o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6762&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6762

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 09:20:16 -0000 (UTC)
<j7turoFtq5rU1@mid.individual.net>
sha1:PlDVzgIURg4OCD5hbfOXQ63RhDI=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 09:20 UTC

Sid Nuncius <nuncius@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 25/02/2022 21:36, Mike McMillan wrote:
>> Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>>> And whether you call the Northern Irish city Derry or Londonderry.
>>
>> I’ve heard it refereed to as ‘Stroke City’.
>
> Gerry Anderson - the one who had a brief, unsuccessful, period on R4 on
> weekday afternoons presenting Anderson Country, not the Thunderbirds
> chap - used to call it that. It's about the only thing I remember about
> him or the programme, which had a mercifully short life[1].
>

> [1]He seemed like a decent chap and a perfectly good presenter, but the
> tone and format were all wrong for the slot.

A rough barbed oblong trying to shoehorn into a round hole.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Ukraine

<oisj1htqoh3di9d6sqomtad4ljd8p9ljfe@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6764&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6764

From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 09:29:15 +0000
 by: Chris J Dixon - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 09:29 UTC

Sid Nuncius wrote:

>Gerry Anderson - the one who had a brief, unsuccessful, period on R4 on
>weekday afternoons presenting Anderson Country, not the Thunderbirds
>chap - used to call it that. It's about the only thing I remember about
>him or the programme, which had a mercifully short life[1].
>

>[1]He seemed like a decent chap and a perfectly good presenter, but the
>tone and format were all wrong for the slot.

I had previously heard him on other, unscripted, programmes where
he was perfectly fine, but given a script, and then expected to
make it sound as if he was not reading it, he failed dismally.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Re: Ukraine

<svctjb$rs$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6767&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6767

From: stevehag...@gmail.com (steve hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 09:58:04 +0000
 by: steve hague - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 09:58 UTC

On 26/02/2022 06:15, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> On 25/02/2022 21:36, Mike McMillan wrote:
>> Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>>> And whether you call the Northern Irish city Derry or Londonderry.
>>
>> I’ve heard it refereed to as ‘Stroke City’.
>
> Gerry Anderson - the one who had a brief, unsuccessful, period on R4 on
> weekday afternoons presenting Anderson Country, not the Thunderbirds
> chap - used to call it that.  It's about the only thing I remember about
> him or the programme, which had a mercifully short life[1].
>

> [1]He seemed like a decent chap and a perfectly good presenter, but the
> tone and format were all wrong for the slot.
I enjoyed his programme, it being on at just the right time for me to
listen was a factor.
Steve

Re: Ukraine

<4mbk1hhusoreab9jkjdcak1snael6jmj9t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6771&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6771

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 13:47:18 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 13:47 UTC

On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 13:33:37 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 12:27:48 +0000, Jenny M Benson
><NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On 25/02/2022 11:21, Penny wrote:
>>> A more basic query regarding Ukraine.
>>>
>>> I winced when I heard Joe Biden talk about Keev a few days ago.
>>> This morning I heard 3 (or maybe 4) subtly different pronunciations of the
>>> place. I'm not sure how the locals say it - presumably something close to
>>> Keev.
>>>
>>AIUI (with the usual caveats) is that the Ukranians call it Kyiv and
>>pronounce that Kee-eve. I think we're a bit behind the times in saying
>>Kee-ev.
>>
>>> When reporting in or about Paris, BBC people always say Paris - none of the
>>> locals do. I wish they'd make their collective mind up.
>>
>>My geography is hazy at best but I don't know how many foreign cities
>>have an Anglicised version of their names which is usually used when
>>English is being spoken by an English-speaker. I don't think many
>>English-speakers use the Welsh names of Welsh places. My sister lives
>>in Northop/Llaneurgain but I have never heard anyone refer to
>>Llaneurgain. Its church is dedicated to St Eurgain & St Peter but the
>>newish housing estate across the road is called St Peter's Park.
>>
>>(1) I once got 2% in a Geog exam and half of that was for putting my
>>name on the paper correctly.
>
>Because of the way the timetable was dne at my secondary school if I
>wanted to do German GCE, alowed as I was fluent already, I had to drop
>Geography. I didn't mind as am not neat and was bad at drawing maps
>and colouring them in neatly,which in the second year when we made
>coices seemed to be what Geography was about. I can just about locate
>the UK on a blank map of the world but not many other countries or
>capitols.

Be fair to yourself Vicky, you've spent an awful lot of your time on
the 70% of the world map that is just coloured blue from which it must
have been awfully difficult to know where the green, brown and grey
bits were.

Nick

Re: Ukraine

<lubk1h5jm7ib2ub4mtoc2b9v8sv692o3pf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6772&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6772

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 13:53:32 +0000
References: <j7oph1Ftp69U1@mid.individual.net> <sv89ll$imm$1@dont-email.me> <sv8utf$qle$2@dont-email.me> <ia5g1hdauq7safsblin01s7s2bfnbirrlq@4ax.com> <sva3bq$4va$1@dont-email.me> <kceh1hp3jafrj2579obkinubqkf6dkcpov@4ax.com> <svaqll$7gi$1@dont-email.me> <svb2tb$9j6$1@dont-email.me> <svb47a$jst$1@dont-email.me> <svbi47$vso$1@dont-email.me> <j7turoFtq5rU1@mid.individual.net> <svctjb$rs$1@gioia.aioe.org>
 by: Nick Odell - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 13:53 UTC

On Sat, 26 Feb 2022 09:58:04 +0000, steve hague
<stevehague82@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 26/02/2022 06:15, Sid Nuncius wrote:

>>> I’ve heard it refereed to as ‘Stroke City’.
>>
>> Gerry Anderson - the one who had a brief, unsuccessful, period on R4 on
>> weekday afternoons presenting Anderson Country, not the Thunderbirds
>> chap - used to call it that.  It's about the only thing I remember about
>> him or the programme, which had a mercifully short life[1].
>>

>> [1]He seemed like a decent chap and a perfectly good presenter, but the
>> tone and format were all wrong for the slot.
>I enjoyed his programme, it being on at just the right time for me to
>listen was a factor.

+1 here. Had Eternal September not been down for me yesterday I had
been planning to write in praise of Gerry Anderson and his programmes.

I also used to like Sybil Ruscoe's programme. I think because she
always came across to me as just on the right side of slightly dotty.

Nick

Re: Ukraine

<svdc77$l2l$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6778&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6778

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 14:07:35 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:0uaM11piqaSh4wfyCIkpEvc/XNQ=
 by: Chris - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 14:07 UTC

Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
> On 25/02/2022 11:21, Penny wrote:
>> A more basic query regarding Ukraine.
>>
>> I winced when I heard Joe Biden talk about Keev a few days ago.
>> This morning I heard 3 (or maybe 4) subtly different pronunciations of the
>> place. I'm not sure how the locals say it - presumably something close to
>> Keev.
>

> It's a sensitive issue to the Ukrainians at the moment, as Kiev is the
> Russian version of their name, while Kyiv (pronounced as a rough
> approximation of Keev) is the Ukrainian name for the city. Avoiding the
> Russian version of their name has become a minor (but, I believe, much
> appreciated) statement of allegiance to them.
>

>> When reporting in or about Paris, BBC people always say Paris - none of the
>> locals do. I wish they'd make their collective mind up.
>
> I suspect Parisians are secure enough that they really aren't bothered
> about what we call them, any more than we mind them calling London
> "Londres".

Thanks for this. I didn’t know Kviv was Kiev. Bern confused for a long
time.

Sincerely Chris

Re: Ukraine

<svdc78$l2l$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6779&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6779

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 14:07:36 -0000 (UTC)
<j7turoFtq5rU1@mid.individual.net>
sha1:WNx3W/YjNKgzLNlDytnVhDOg4V8=
 by: Chris - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 14:07 UTC

Sid Nuncius <nuncius@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 25/02/2022 21:36, Mike McMillan wrote:
>> Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>>> And whether you call the Northern Irish city Derry or Londonderry.
>>
>> I’ve heard it refereed to as ‘Stroke City’.
>
> Gerry Anderson - the one who had a brief, unsuccessful, period on R4 on
> weekday afternoons presenting Anderson Country, not the Thunderbirds
> chap - used to call it that. It's about the only thing I remember about
> him or the programme, which had a mercifully short life[1].
>

> [1]He seemed like a decent chap and a perfectly good presenter, but the
> tone and format were all wrong for the slot.

Couldn’t stand his voice or style.

Sincerely Chris

Re: Ukraine

<q89l1h50agbugjq4kua3qld7g62ir1vnmv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6783&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6783

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 22:15:13 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 22:15 UTC

On Sat, 26 Feb 2022 17:27:51 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Feb 2022 13:47:18 +0000, Nick Odell
><nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 13:33:37 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com>
>>wrote:

>>>Because of the way the timetable was dne at my secondary school if I
>>>wanted to do German GCE, alowed as I was fluent already, I had to drop
>>>Geography. I didn't mind as am not neat and was bad at drawing maps
>>>and colouring them in neatly,which in the second year when we made
>>>coices seemed to be what Geography was about. I can just about locate
>>>the UK on a blank map of the world but not many other countries or
>>>capitols.
>>
>>Be fair to yourself Vicky, you've spent an awful lot of your time on
>>the 70% of the world map that is just coloured blue from which it must
>>have been awfully difficult to know where the green, brown and grey
>>bits were.
>>
>>Nick
>
>That made it worse! Going a shore with little idea of places. Also I
>have a very poor sense of direction so get lost easily. Life is an
>adventure.

Don't talk to me about sense of direction! I find places built on the
grid pattern to be the worst. Generals one way, presidents the other
or is it streets/avenues? Numbers/letters? I can very easily get lost
and find myself walking for miles in the wrong direction. For the last
few years I have been the proud owner of a nice Silva compass and I
(try to) always take it with me when I'm walking somewhere different.

Nick

Re: Ukraine

<aefl1hh6hu7u0hfcl4m11chichf1rcf632@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6786&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6786

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 00:01:18 +0000
References: <j7oph1Ftp69U1@mid.individual.net> <sv89ll$imm$1@dont-email.me> <sv8utf$qle$2@dont-email.me> <ia5g1hdauq7safsblin01s7s2bfnbirrlq@4ax.com> <sva3bq$4va$1@dont-email.me> <kceh1hp3jafrj2579obkinubqkf6dkcpov@4ax.com> <j7s0a6FiahqU1@mid.individual.net> <ehmh1hh4924l5s2feq8e1d5tuesdd9486s@4ax.com> <4mbk1hhusoreab9jkjdcak1snael6jmj9t@4ax.com> <4nok1hpgv81mk27r0c8ol8sougd79nfkvt@4ax.com> <q89l1h50agbugjq4kua3qld7g62ir1vnmv@4ax.com>
 by: Penny - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 00:01 UTC

On Sat, 26 Feb 2022 22:15:13 +0000, Nick Odell
<nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> scrawled in the dust...

>Don't talk to me about sense of direction! I find places built on the
>grid pattern to be the worst. Generals one way, presidents the other
>or is it streets/avenues? Numbers/letters? I can very easily get lost
>and find myself walking for miles in the wrong direction. For the last
>few years I have been the proud owner of a nice Silva compass and I
>(try to) always take it with me when I'm walking somewhere different.

Interesting, I always assumed a grid layout would make navigation easier
but can see it may make every street look the same.

When intending to walk somewhere specific in London I would tear the
relevant pages out of the A-Z and put them in my pocket*. This avoided the
rookie error of travelling three stops (including a change of line) on the
tube, only to find I'd arrived just around the corner from where I started.

*This may sound like heresy (or do I mean vandalism?) but I didn't throw
the pages away - they would go with me on later trips - much simpler than
taking the whole book.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Ukraine

<svgs4t$771$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6797&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6797

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 21:57:49 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 21:57 UTC

On 24/02/2022 15:53, John Ashby wrote:
> On 24/02/2022 07:13, Sid Nuncius wrote:
>> Nugger.
>>

> Potential Topical Inserts for tonight:
> 1) Shula agonising over whether Dan will be sent off to fight the Russians.
> 2) Brian suggesting the UK should take as many Ukrainian refugees as
> possible proving they're all slaughterhouse workers to save Berrow.
> 3) Jenifffffer searching for an atlas to find out how many countries
> Putin will have to invade before he gets to Debbie.
>
> john

Can I just point out the similarity between my suggestion 2 and the
governments position that Ukrainians can apply for visas under the
seasonal agricultural workes scheme.

john

Re: Ukraine

<9227f23b-ec47-41e4-811c-45785762d4afn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6861&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6861

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 03:00:29 -0800 (PST)
From: agsmith5...@gmail.com (Tony Smith)
 by: Tony Smith - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 11:00 UTC

Does the Great Gate in Kyiv, as in Mussorgsky's composition, still stand?

Controversially restored from ruin in 1982, I read.

Re: Ukraine

<svvhtj$u77$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6862&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6862

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 11:35:15 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:wMTMSsB+l1doxygkDP7PwSTruw8=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 11:35 UTC

Tony Smith <agsmith578688@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does the Great Gate in Kyiv, as in Mussorgsky's composition, still stand?
>
> Controversially restored from ruin in 1982, I read.

Or is it a little Ravel’d

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Ukraine

<svvi3n$vi2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6863&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6863

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 11:38:31 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:XsqhBXFGvXp5t6gnO8KZcux3HIM=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 11:38 UTC

Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
> Tony Smith <agsmith578688@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Does the Great Gate in Kyiv, as in Mussorgsky's composition, still stand?
>>
>> Controversially restored from ruin in 1982, I read.
>>

> Or is it a little Ravel’d

Picture The Hut on Fowl’s Legs, it has always sounded a little dodgy to me,
but I’ll say nothing more as I don’t want to make an Exhibition of myself.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Ukraine

<pCfKHZByO1IiFwnl@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6864&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6864

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 12:12:34 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 12:12 UTC

On Sat, 5 Mar 2022 at 11:35:15, Mike McMillan
<toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>Tony Smith <agsmith578688@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Does the Great Gate in Kyiv, as in Mussorgsky's composition, still stand?
>>
>> Controversially restored from ruin in 1982, I read.
>>

>Or is it a little Ravel’d

<GROAN!> OK, BTN (in the best spirit of BTNs!)

"Do you want to be right, or friends?"
- a friend quoted by Vicky Ayech in UMRA, 2018-12-4

Re: Ukraine

<svvsgu$ghq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6868&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6868

From: walneyr...@gmail.com (Rosalind Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 14:36:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rosalind Mitchell - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 14:36 UTC

On Sat, 5 Mar 2022 11:35:15 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan wrote:

> Tony Smith <agsmith578688@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Does the Great Gate in Kyiv, as in Mussorgsky's composition, still
>> stand?
>>
>> Controversially restored from ruin in 1982, I read.
>>

> Or is it a little Ravel’d

Like a sleeve of care?

It was thoroughly Emersoned, Laked and Palmered in 1970. I rather like
that version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIVmG0VOtjc

Rosie

Re: Ukraine

<t00f69$6bk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6876&group=uk.media.radio.archers#6876

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 19:54:49 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 19:54 UTC

On 05/03/2022 12:12, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Mar 2022 at 11:35:15, Mike McMillan
> <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>> Tony Smith <agsmith578688@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Does the Great Gate in Kyiv, as in Mussorgsky's composition, still
>>> stand?
>>>
>>> Controversially restored from ruin in 1982, I read.
>>>

>> Or is it a little Ravel’d
>>
> <GROAN!> OK, BTN (in the best spirit of BTNs!)

Accepted

john