"I'd love to go out with you, but there are important world issues that need worrying about."

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: Nominative Determinism

SubjectAuthor
* Nominative DeterminismRichard Robinson
+* Nominative DeterminismBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|+* Nominative DeterminismNick Odell
||+* Nominative DeterminismRustyHinge
|||+* Nominative DeterminismRichard Robinson
|||`* Nominative DeterminismBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
||| `* Nominative DeterminismJohn Williamson
|||  `* Nominative Determinismnev young
|||   +* Nominative DeterminismJohn Williamson
|||   |+* Nominative Determinismnev young
|||   ||`* Nominative DeterminismJohn Williamson
|||   || `* Nominative DeterminismRichard Robinson
|||   ||  +- Nominative DeterminismNick Odell
|||   ||  `* Nominative DeterminismJohn Williamson
|||   ||   +- Nominative DeterminismAhem A Rivet's Shot
|||   ||   +- Nominative DeterminismRichard Robinson
|||   ||   `* Nominative DeterminismMike Fleming
|||   ||    `- Nominative DeterminismNicholas D. Richards
|||   |`* Nominative DeterminismRichard Robinson
|||   | `* Nominative DeterminismAhem A Rivet's Shot
|||   |  +- Nominative DeterminismRichard Robinson
|||   |  `* Nominative DeterminismMike Spencer
|||   |   `- Nominative DeterminismRichard Robinson
|||   `- Nominative Determinismnev young
||+- Nominative DeterminismRichard Robinson
||`- Nominative DeterminismBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|+* Nominative DeterminismRustyHinge
||`- Nominative DeterminismRichard Robinson
|`- Nominative DeterminismMaus
`- Nominative DeterminismBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)

Pages:12
Re: Nominative Determinism

<j4i1vhFnt7fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6863&group=uk.rec.sheds#6863

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Nominative Determinism
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 08:06:07 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 08:06 UTC

On 15/01/2022 19:50, Richard Robinson wrote:

> "The Police", in the idealistic abstract, may be as you describe it.
> Many people will testify that actual uniformed humans don't always live
> up to this description.

I've not met a bad one yet. Occasionally, I've met one doing a job I'd
rather they didn't do, but that's life.

> Being a white man with a midle-class voice, I have only experienced the
> mild fringes of their dark side, but I will still say that the more
> someone likes being in a position of power the less they should be
> trusted with it.

Not all are perfect, but what alternatives are there?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Nominative Determinism

<20220116091023.b2b8fbda0152fa6c7792609a@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6864&group=uk.rec.sheds#6864

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 09:10:23 +0000
<l4ednZh0YvbguH78nZ2dnUU7-enNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<j4i1vhFnt7fU1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 09:10 UTC

On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 08:06:07 +0000
John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 15/01/2022 19:50, Richard Robinson wrote:
>
> > "The Police", in the idealistic abstract, may be as you describe it.
> > Many people will testify that actual uniformed humans don't always live
> > up to this description.
> >
> I've not met a bad one yet. Occasionally, I've met one doing a job I'd
> rather they didn't do, but that's life.

Seconded - but I have heard stories - TAAAW on such occasions I've
noticed that they're not entirely happy about it either - but not
responsive to suggestions starting "Well if nobody wants this ...".

I think the response you get from them tends to depend on how you
respond to them - I can quite understand that most of them want potential
trouble to stay potential and if it won't then to get it stopped *fast* -
but being clearly not potential trouble tends to bring out the best in them.

At one PPOE my regular ride to the airport was an ex Garda who
served in some of the rougher parts of the border. He told me that he'd
quit because while he could cope with scrotes coming at him with clubs and
knives and even the occasional gun he found syringes terrifying - I can't
say I blame him. He had all the advanced driving training including
pursuit, we never missed a flight but it was sometimes fun - he liked
driving me because he had to be sedate and strictly legal with his regular
German passengers.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Nominative Determinism

<ss10h2$cuv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6865&group=uk.rec.sheds#6865

From: newsforp...@yahoo.co.uk (nev young)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:45:38 +0000
 by: nev young - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:45 UTC

On 15/01/2022 14:19, nev young wrote:
> On 14/01/2022 10:09, John Williamson wrote:
>>
>> Do as I say, not as I do? Not a good way to persuade people to do the
>> right thing.
>>
> <not wishing to sound troll like but (I am quite drunk)>

Good to see the first rule of posting still holds true.

I must not post when drunk.
I must not post when drunk.
I must not post when drunk.
I must not post when drunk.
I must not post when drunk.
I must not post when drunk.
I must not post when drunk.
I must not post when drunk.
I must not post when drunk.
I must not post when drunk.
I must not post when drunk.
I must not post when drunk.
I must not post when drunk.
etc.

My sober posts never cause this much discussion.

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse

Re: Nominative Determinism

<SLqdndnxF5VJhHn8nZ2dnUU7-bOdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6874&group=uk.rec.sheds#6874

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 07:12:52 -0600
 by: Richard Robinson - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 13:12 UTC

John Williamson said:
> On 15/01/2022 19:50, Richard Robinson wrote:
>
>> "The Police", in the idealistic abstract, may be as you describe it.
>> Many people will testify that actual uniformed humans don't always live
>> up to this description.
>>
> I've not met a bad one yet. Occasionally, I've met one doing a job I'd
> rather they didn't do, but that's life.
>
>> Being a white man with a midle-class voice, I have only experienced the
>> mild fringes of their dark side, but I will still say that the more
>> someone likes being in a position of power the less they should be
>> trusted with it.
>>
> Not all are perfect, but what alternatives are there?

Most improvements start by recognising that there is room/need for them ?

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Nominative Determinism

<j4j6ucF8rmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6877&group=uk.rec.sheds#6877

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 18:36:58 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 18:36 UTC

On 16/01/2022 08:06, John Williamson wrote:
> On 15/01/2022 19:50, Richard Robinson wrote:
>
>> "The Police", in the idealistic abstract, may be as you describe it.
>> Many people will testify that actual uniformed humans don't always live
>> up to this description.
>>
> I've not met a bad one yet. Occasionally, I've met one doing a job I'd
> rather they didn't do, but that's life.

Almost all that I've met have been fine. There was one who was
determined to get me convicted of something and lied through his teeth
in court accordingly - it didn't work though.

Re: Nominative Determinism

<k+6mnWArkG5hFAg9@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6879&group=uk.rec.sheds#6879

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 18:51:23 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 18:51 UTC

In article <j4j6ucF8rmU1@mid.individual.net>, Mike Fleming
<mike@tauzero.co.uk> on Sun, 16 Jan 2022 at 18:36:58 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>On 16/01/2022 08:06, John Williamson wrote:
>> On 15/01/2022 19:50, Richard Robinson wrote:
>>
>>> "The Police", in the idealistic abstract, may be as you describe it.
>>> Many people will testify that actual uniformed humans don't always live
>>> up to this description.
>>>
>> I've not met a bad one yet. Occasionally, I've met one doing a job I'd
>> rather they didn't do, but that's life.
>
>Almost all that I've met have been fine. There was one who was
>determined to get me convicted of something and lied through his teeth
>in court accordingly - it didn't work though.

My old man did jury service twice, the first he never talked about, it
was a secrets trial in camera.

The second was burglary case, where they found the two burglars not
guilty. Quote "they were as guilty as hell but the police were lying".
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"