Use of software is governed by the terms of the end user license agreement.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Cyclists stage 'trespass' protest over closure of Snake Pass

SubjectAuthor
* Cyclists stage 'trespass' protest over closure of Snake Passswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Cyclists stage 'trespass' protest over closure of Snake PassMike Collins
|`* Re: Cyclists stage 'trespass' protest over closure of Snake Passswldx...@gmail.com
| +* Re: Cyclists stage 'trespass' protest over closure of Snake PassMike Collins
| |+* Re: Cyclists stage 'trespass' protest over closure of Snake Passswldx...@gmail.com
| ||`* Re: Cyclists stage 'trespass' protest over closure of Snake PassSpike
| || `- Re: Cyclists stage 'trespass' protest over closure of Snake PassMike Collins
| |`- Re: Cyclists stage 'trespass' protest over closure of Snake Passswldx...@gmail.com
| `- Re: Cyclists stage 'trespass' protest over closure of Snake PassSpike
`- Re: Cyclists stage 'trespass' protest over closure of Snake PassJNugent

1
Cyclists stage 'trespass' protest over closure of Snake Pass

<c820f922-6942-416a-9ea1-ce2d27d416c0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6845&group=uk.rec.cycling#6845

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 10:08:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Cyclists stage 'trespass' protest over closure of Snake Pass
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 17:08 UTC

Dozens of cyclists have ridden a stretch of the Snake Pass in Derbyshire to protest over its closure to all vehicles.

The road through the Peak District was shut to motor traffic last month after storm damage caused a number of landslips.

Since then cyclists have been making the most of the lack of cars to ride the road themselves.

But last week the council closed it to cyclists and walkers as well over 'significant concerns about safety' and said only people who live on the route could use it for access.
Organisers say around 100 people attended the protest Credit: Harry Gray

Protesters have called the move shortsighted and on Saturday cycled the route up to the landslip and back from Glossop.

Cyclist Harry Gray, who organised the trespass, said: "It seems to me a bit of an overreaction and they've not really thought through the benefits of allowing people to go up, not just cyclists, there are people walking and running as well, to go up and enjoy the countryside in a place where normally you wouldn't be able to enjoy it because of the amount of traffic there.

"It is a rare opportunity and it's quite sad really that they've tried to take away that opportunity from people who just want to go and enjoy the outdoors. That's all we're trying to do here."
Credit: Harry Gray

Before the protest Derbyshire County Council said it was aware of the plans..

A spokesperson said: “We recognise the attraction of the road and we have not taken the decision to close to all users lightly.

“We welcome cyclists and walkers to Derbyshire but for now we ask that they do not use the Snake Pass and consider one of the many other beautiful places to visit in the county.

“Last weekend we experienced very large numbers of cyclists riding in groups on the road who were not expecting to see traffic and we were concerned that an accident could happen.

"There is still traffic on the road, as people live there and we have vehicles going up to monitor the landslip and carry out other work on other parts of the road."

https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2022-03-13/cyclists-stage-trespass-protest-over-closure-of-snake-pass

Re: Cyclists stage 'trespass' protest over closure of Snake Pass

<b8bb88b9-5901-4702-b80a-8284c3798ed1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6848&group=uk.rec.cycling#6848

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 13:46:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 20:46 UTC

On Sunday, 13 March 2022 at 17:08:26 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Dozens of cyclists have ridden a stretch of the Snake Pass in Derbyshire to protest over its closure to all vehicles.
>
> The road through the Peak District was shut to motor traffic last month after storm damage caused a number of landslips.
>
> Since then cyclists have been making the most of the lack of cars to ride the road themselves.
>
> But last week the council closed it to cyclists and walkers as well over 'significant concerns about safety' and said only people who live on the route could use it for access.
> Organisers say around 100 people attended the protest Credit: Harry Gray
>
> Protesters have called the move shortsighted and on Saturday cycled the route up to the landslip and back from Glossop.
>
> Cyclist Harry Gray, who organised the trespass, said: "It seems to me a bit of an overreaction and they've not really thought through the benefits of allowing people to go up, not just cyclists, there are people walking and running as well, to go up and enjoy the countryside in a place where normally you wouldn't be able to enjoy it because of the amount of traffic there..
>
> "It is a rare opportunity and it's quite sad really that they've tried to take away that opportunity from people who just want to go and enjoy the outdoors. That's all we're trying to do here."
> Credit: Harry Gray
>
> Before the protest Derbyshire County Council said it was aware of the plans.
>
> A spokesperson said: “We recognise the attraction of the road and we have not taken the decision to close to all users lightly.
>
> “We welcome cyclists and walkers to Derbyshire but for now we ask that they do not use the Snake Pass and consider one of the many other beautiful places to visit in the county.
>
> “Last weekend we experienced very large numbers of cyclists riding in groups on the road who were not expecting to see traffic and we were concerned that an accident could happen.
>
> "There is still traffic on the road, as people live there and we have vehicles going up to monitor the landslip and carry out other work on other parts of the road."
>
> https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2022-03-13/cyclists-stage-trespass-protest-over-closure-of-snake-pass

There is no reason why motor vehicles should use snake pass or woodhead pass anyway. Cyclists paid for the M62 trans pennine motorway.

Re: Cyclists stage 'trespass' protest over closure of Snake Pass

<j97b7gFs11tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6851&group=uk.rec.cycling#6851

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 22:57:52 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 22:57 UTC

> Dozens of fairy-cyclists have ridden a stretch of the Snake Pass in Derbyshire to protest over its closure to all vehicles.
>
> The road through the Peak District was shut to motor [No: ALL] traffic last month after storm damage caused a number of landslips.
>
> Since then fairy-cyclists have been making the most of the lack of cars to ride the road themselves.
>
> But last week the council closed it to fairy-cyclists and walkers as well over 'significant concerns about safety' and said only people who live on the route could use it for access.
> Organisers say around 100 people attended the protest Credit: Harry Gray
>
> Protesters have called the move shortsighted and on Saturday fairy-cycled the route up to the landslip and back from Glossop.

What possible legal right do they have to do that?

They're just a bunch of scofflaw chav fairy-cyclists.

> Fairy-yclist Harry Gray, who organised the trespass, said: "It seems to me a bit of an overreaction and they've not really thought through the benefits of allowing people to go up, not just fairy-cyclists, there are people walking and running as well, to go up and enjoy the countryside in a place where normally you wouldn't be able to enjoy it because of the amount of traffic there.
>
> "It is a rare opportunity and it's quite sad really that they've tried to take away that opportunity from people who just want to go and enjoy the outdoors. That's all we're trying to do here."
> Credit: Harry Gray
>
> Before the protest Derbyshire County Council said it was aware of the plans.
>
> A spokesperson said: “We recognise the attraction of the road and we have not taken the decision to close to all users lightly.
>
> “We welcome fairy-cyclists and walkers to Derbyshire but for now we ask that they do not use the Snake Pass and consider one of the many other beautiful places to visit in the county.
>
> “Last weekend we experienced very large numbers of fairy-cyclists riding in groups on the road who were not expecting to see traffic and we were concerned that an accident could happen.
>
> "There is still traffic on the road, as people live there and we have vehicles going up to monitor the landslip and carry out other work on other parts of the road."
>
> https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2022-03-13/cyclists-stage-trespass-protest-over-closure-of-snake-pass

Re: Cyclists stage 'trespass' protest over closure of Snake Pass

<bef71419-a720-4eb7-92ab-4c85bd85599bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6868&group=uk.rec.cycling#6868

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 04:45:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 11:45 UTC

On Sunday, March 13, 2022 at 8:46:17 PM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:

> There is no reason why motor vehicles should use snake pass or woodhead pass anyway. Cyclists paid for the M62 trans pennine motorway.

Drivers have trashed Snake Pass with their excess weight anyway.

Re: Cyclists stage 'trespass' protest over closure of Snake Pass

<987e4e2a-d071-4e32-9c27-59d0e4105e27n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6873&group=uk.rec.cycling#6873

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 05:30:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 12:30 UTC

On Monday, 14 March 2022 at 11:45:06 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, March 13, 2022 at 8:46:17 PM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:
>
> > There is no reason why motor vehicles should use snake pass or woodhead pass anyway. Cyclists paid for the M62 trans pennine motorway.
> Drivers have trashed Snake Pass with their excess weight anyway.

Snake Pass was opened in1821 and was never designed for motor vehicles. Just another example of motorists taking over roads that don't belong to them and expecting cyclists to pick up the bill.

Re: Cyclists stage 'trespass' protest over closure of Snake Pass

<j98qsjF61eiU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6874&group=uk.rec.cycling#6874

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 12:31:15 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 12:31 UTC

On 14/03/2022 11:45, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, March 13, 2022 at 8:46:17 PM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:

>> There is no reason why motor vehicles should use snake pass or woodhead pass anyway. Cyclists paid for the M62 trans pennine motorway.

> Drivers have trashed Snake Pass with their excess weight anyway.

Geology and weather had something to do with it.

Was a vehicle on the collapsed part when it gave way?

No.

QED

--
Spike

Re: Cyclists stage 'trespass' protest over closure of Snake Pass

<70be971c-afb3-4c81-9d79-873bcbdee86an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6881&group=uk.rec.cycling#6881

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 07:48:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 14:48 UTC

On Monday, March 14, 2022 at 12:30:11 PM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Monday, 14 March 2022 at 11:45:06 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Sunday, March 13, 2022 at 8:46:17 PM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:
> >
> > > There is no reason why motor vehicles should use snake pass or woodhead pass anyway. Cyclists paid for the M62 trans pennine motorway.
> > Drivers have trashed Snake Pass with their excess weight anyway.
> Snake Pass was opened in1821 and was never designed for motor vehicles. Just another example of motorists taking over roads that don't belong to them and expecting cyclists to pick up the bill.

Just got my council tax bill for £1500 - more money to pay for potholes caused by motor traffic.
Disgusting.

Re: Cyclists stage 'trespass' protest over closure of Snake Pass

<j99a24F8oipU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6892&group=uk.rec.cycling#6892

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 16:50:13 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 16:50 UTC

On 14/03/2022 14:48, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Just got my council tax bill for £1500 - more money to pay for potholes caused by motor traffic.
> Disgusting.

Grow up.

--
Spike

Re: Cyclists stage 'trespass' protest over closure of Snake Pass

<27cab572-357b-4ed6-826b-88b920df76cen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6895&group=uk.rec.cycling#6895

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 10:03:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 17:03 UTC

On Monday, March 14, 2022 at 12:30:11 PM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Monday, 14 March 2022 at 11:45:06 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Sunday, March 13, 2022 at 8:46:17 PM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:
> >
> > > There is no reason why motor vehicles should use snake pass or woodhead pass anyway. Cyclists paid for the M62 trans pennine motorway.
> > Drivers have trashed Snake Pass with their excess weight anyway.
> Snake Pass was opened in1821 and was never designed for motor vehicles. Just another example of motorists taking over roads that don't belong to them and expecting cyclists to pick up the bill.

It's the 44T trucks that have done the most damage. They shouldn't be using fragile roads like that as a shortcut.

Re: Cyclists stage 'trespass' protest over closure of Snake Pass

<38ba0040-efc1-4273-b5e5-969ce163b8c8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6906&group=uk.rec.cycling#6906

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 11:14:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 18:14 UTC

On Monday, 14 March 2022 at 16:50:16 UTC, Spike wrote:
> On 14/03/2022 14:48, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Just got my council tax bill for £1500 - more money to pay for potholes caused by motor traffic.
> > Disgusting.
> Grow up.
>

> --
> Spike

Unlike you he owns his own house and pays his bills rather than living in a taxpayer funded asylum. Why did you stop posting as Mr Pounder and start posting as Spike?

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Cyclists stage 'trespass' protest over closure of Snake Pass