CCI Power 6/40: one board, a megabyte of cache, and an attitude...

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / I’m so fed up with drivers parking on the pavement I’m handing out my OWN tickets

SubjectAuthor
* I’m so fed up with drivers parking on the pavementswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: I’m so fed up with drivers parking on the pavSpike
+* Re: I’m so fed up with drivers parking on the paveswldx...@gmail.com
|`* Re: I’m so fed up with drivers parking on the paveswldx...@gmail.com
| +- Re: I’m so fed up with drivers parking on the pavSpike
| `* Re: I’m so fed up with drivers parking on the paveswldx...@gmail.com
|  +- Re: I’m so fed up with drivers parking on the pJNugent
|  `* Re: I’m so fed up with drivers parking on the paveswldx...@gmail.com
|   `- Re: I’m so fed up with drivers parking on the paveswldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: I’m so fed up with drivers parking on the pJNugent

1
I’m so fed up with drivers parking on the pavement I’m handing out my OWN tickets

<02abdc1c-87ef-4e94-9c0e-1bfa891744cbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6909&group=uk.rec.cycling#6909

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 14:52:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: I’m_so_fed_up_with_drivers_parking_on_the_pavement
_I’m_handing_out_my_OWN_tickets
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 21:52 UTC

A FUMING pensioner has told how he is so fed up with drivers parking on the pavement he hands out his own tickets - then REPORTS them to the council.

Tony Weafer, 68, refuses to leave the house without carrying a batch of his Pavements For People stickers.
Tony Weafer will slap any car he thinks is parked in a 'dangerous and unnecessary' way with his own parking tickets

The pensioner from Shirley, Southampton, then stalks the streets looking out for “abandoned” motors parked up on pavements near his home.

And if he deems the parking “dangerous and unnecessary” he will slap one of his infamous red and white stickers on the windscreen.

What's more - he'll even take a picture and then report the vehicle to the council so the owner faces the consequences for their bad parking.

Tony told the Daily Echo his unusual pastime came about a few months ago after "people started testing their luck and were getting away with it" on Shirley High Street and on surrounding roads.

He explained: "Parking on the double yellows, the pavement, and it’s just getting worse and worse.

“The other day a young gentleman parked on the pavement just to pop in and get his haircut. There’s parking just around the corner!”

But Tony taking action into his own hands has wound him up in trouble with locals infuriated with what he is doing.

Recalling one particular incident, Tony said he once noticed a shop owner leave their their van on the pavement.

He then marched into the shop to notify the owner of the error - he was asked to leave the store immediately.

The incident became so heated a council enforcement officer was even forced to intervene to resolve the matter.

But Tony is defiant, insisting: “That’s all it needs. If it is enforced, things can get back to normal.”

The pensioner claims that without proper parking enforcement "the people walking along are the ones who suffer".

Tony claimed: “I’ve seen a blind person bump into a car and accidentally walk in the road to try and find their way around it."

Ward councillor, Satvir Kaur, told the Echo: “Drivers parking on pavements is an extremely selfish act, that puts others at risk.

"It not only makes it harder for other drivers and cyclists trying to weave past a half mounted car that shouldn’t be there, but it particularly makes it more difficult for elderly people, those in wheelchairs, or that use pushchairs to use and enjoy our local high street safely."

A city council spokesperson said Shirley's parking is enforced when resources allow and a solution is being sought.

Despite Tony's actions - some of the pavement parked on along Shirley Road to Shirley High Street corridor is private - so the authority has no powers..

They concluded: "This means that for those vehicles that mount the pavement and park in front properties the No Waiting yellow lines on the highway will not apply to these areas."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/17939205/pensioner-handing-out-own-parking-tickets/?rec_article=true

Re: I’m so fed up with drivers parking on the pavement I’m handing out my OWN tickets

<j9beasFl92iU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6919&group=uk.rec.cycling#6919

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_I’m_so_fed_up_with_drivers_parking_on_the_pav
ement_I’m_handing_out_my_OWN_tickets
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 12:15:25 +0000
 by: Spike - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 12:15 UTC

On 14/03/2022 21:52, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> A FUMING pensioner has told how he is so fed up with drivers parking on the pavement he hands out his own tickets - then REPORTS them to the council.

Someone tell him about what constitutes criminal damage.

--
Spike

Re: I’m so fed up with drivers parking on the pavement I’m handing out my OWN tickets

<ef377279-654a-4f41-bd0f-7b65cb26a449n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6924&group=uk.rec.cycling#6924

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 07:04:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_I’m_so_fed_up_with_drivers_parking_on_the_pave
ment_I’m_handing_out_my_OWN_tickets
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 14:04 UTC

On Monday, March 14, 2022 at 9:52:52 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

Ward councillor, Satvir Kaur, told the Echo: “Drivers parking on pavements is an extremely selfish act, that puts others at risk.

"It not only makes it harder for other drivers and cyclists trying to weave past a half mounted car that shouldn’t be there, but it particularly makes it more difficult for elderly people, those in wheelchairs, or that use pushchairs to use and enjoy our local high street safely."

DO THESE SCUM DRIVERS CARE ABOUT THE ELDERLY AND DISABLED? NO.

Re: I’m so fed up with drivers parking on the pavement I’m handing out my OWN tickets

<j9bnqrFn6ceU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6925&group=uk.rec.cycling#6925

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_I’m_so_fed_up_with_drivers_parking_on_the_p
avement_I’m_handing_out_my_OWN_tickets
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 14:57:31 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 14:57 UTC

> A FUMING pensioner has told how he is so fed up with drivers parking on the pavement he hands out his own tickets - then REPORTS them to the council.
>
> Tony Weafer, 68, refuses to leave the house without carrying a batch of his Pavements For People stickers.
> Tony Weafer will slap any car he thinks is parked in a 'dangerous and unnecessary' way with his own parking tickets

He needs to be careful. That very activity has been held to constitute
criminal damage if the "literature" is not easily removed and discarded.
Self-adhesion is an absolute no-no.

Criminal damage under the 1971 Criminal Damage Act is a serious offence.
Serious enough to carry a prison sentence of up to ten years.

QUOTE:
4 Punishment of offences.

(1)A person guilty of arson under section 1 above or of an offence under
section 1(2) above (whether arson or not) shall on conviction on
indictment be liable to imprisonment for life.

(2)A person guilty of any other offence under this Act shall on
conviction on indictment be liable to imprisonment for a term not
exceeding ten years.
ENDQUOTE

> The pensioner from Shirley, Southampton, then stalks the streets looking out for “abandoned” motors parked up on pavements near his home.
>
> And if he deems the parking “dangerous and unnecessary” he will slap one of his infamous red and white stickers on the windscreen.

Who is he to "deem" the actions of others either "dangerous" or
"unnecessary"?

> What's more - he'll even take a picture and then report the vehicle to the council so the owner faces the consequences for their bad parking.

That's the first thing in the article which makes any sense.

> Tony told the Daily Echo his unusual pastime came about a few months ago after "people started testing their luck and were getting away with it" on Shirley High Street and on surrounding roads.
>
> He explained: "Parking on the double yellows, the pavement, and it’s just getting worse and worse.
>
> “The other day a young gentleman parked on the pavement just to pop in and get his haircut. There’s parking just around the corner!”

Take the picture. Send it to the local authority or the police. Or both.

> But Tony taking action into his own hands has wound him up in trouble with locals infuriated with what he is doing.

Quelle surprise.

> Recalling one particular incident, Tony said he once noticed a shop owner leave their their van on the pavement.
>
> He then marched into the shop to notify the owner of the error - he was asked to leave the store immediately.

Not in so many words, one suspects.

> The incident became so heated a council enforcement officer was even forced to intervene to resolve the matter.
>
> But Tony is defiant, insisting: “That’s all it needs. If it is enforced, things can get back to normal.”

Things are already normal. He is making them abnormal by his vigilantism.

> The pensioner claims that without proper parking enforcement "the people walking along are the ones who suffer".

Maybe. Maybe not. That depends on a number of factors. It isn't out of
the question, but neither is it automatic.

> Tony claimed: “I’ve seen a blind person bump into a car and accidentally walk in the road to try and find their way around it."

That in itself does not mean that the vehicle's driver had committed an
offence. There are plenty of instances where parking on a paved strip is
specifically permitted (and where parking on the adjacent carriageway
would be an offence).

> Ward councillor, Satvir Kaur, told the Echo: “Drivers parking on pavements is an extremely selfish act, that puts others at risk.

That's his limited view.

It would be trivially easy to show her examples where parking on paved
strips is preferred by the authorities (and certainly isn't illegal).

> "It not only makes it harder for other drivers and cyclists trying to weave past a half mounted car that shouldn’t be there, but it particularly makes it more difficult for elderly people, those in wheelchairs, or that use pushchairs to use and enjoy our local high street safely."

It MIGHT do one of more of those things. If so, parking on the paved
strip will almost certainly not be allowed.

OTOH, it might not do any of them and be completely unlawful,

It, as they say, depends.

> A city council spokesperson said Shirley's parking is enforced when resources allow and a solution is being sought.
>
> Despite Tony's actions - some of the pavement parked on along Shirley Road to Shirley High Street corridor is private - so the authority has no powers.

Private land?

So what does it have to do with "Tony" or any other id... vigilante?

> They concluded: "This means that for those vehicles that mount the pavement and park in front properties the No Waiting yellow lines on the highway will not apply to these areas."

Fancy that.

> https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/17939205/pensioner-handing-out-own-parking-tickets/?rec_article=true

Re: I’m so fed up with drivers parking on the pavement I’m handing out my OWN tickets

<6ec40d3f-6871-43f2-9f70-08704bd174f6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6947&group=uk.rec.cycling#6947

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 10:12:20 -0700 (PDT)
ment_I’m_handing_out_my_OWN_tickets
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 17:12 UTC

On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 2:04:17 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, March 14, 2022 at 9:52:52 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> Ward councillor, Satvir Kaur, told the Echo: “Drivers parking on pavements is an extremely selfish act, that puts others at risk.
>
> "It not only makes it harder for other drivers and cyclists trying to weave past a half mounted car that shouldn’t be there, but it particularly makes it more difficult for elderly people, those in wheelchairs, or that use pushchairs to use and enjoy our local high street safely."
> DO THESE SCUM DRIVERS CARE ABOUT THE ELDERLY AND DISABLED? NO.

HERE'S THE PROOF.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNBeO7lX0AEmrL8?format=jpg&name=small

Re: I’m so fed up with drivers parking on the pavement I’m handing out my OWN tickets

<j9dnu6F4d6hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6959&group=uk.rec.cycling#6959

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
ement_I’m_handing_out_my_OWN_tickets
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 09:11:36 +0000
 by: Spike - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 09:11 UTC

On 15/03/2022 17:12, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> HERE'S THE PROOF.

Your grasp of the law and how it works is so tenuous that I'm not
convinced you understand what 'PROOF' actually consists of.

--
Spike

Re: I’m so fed up with drivers parking on the pavement I’m handing out my OWN tickets

<57a59f2c-863a-479e-bc07-964b4c7906ben@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6968&group=uk.rec.cycling#6968

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 04:26:50 -0700 (PDT)
ment_I’m_handing_out_my_OWN_tickets
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 11:26 UTC

On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 5:12:22 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 2:04:17 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Monday, March 14, 2022 at 9:52:52 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> >

> > Ward councillor, Satvir Kaur, told the Echo: “Drivers parking on pavements is an extremely selfish act, that puts others at risk.
> >
> > "It not only makes it harder for other drivers and cyclists trying to weave past a half mounted car that shouldn’t be there, but it particularly makes it more difficult for elderly people, those in wheelchairs, or that use pushchairs to use and enjoy our local high street safely."
> > DO THESE SCUM DRIVERS CARE ABOUT THE ELDERLY AND DISABLED? NO.
> HERE'S THE PROOF.
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNBeO7lX0AEmrL8?format=jpg&name=small

Note that the double yellow lines apply to the footway parking as well.
I've seen drivers ticketed for that offence.

Re: I’m so fed up with drivers parking on the pavement I’m handing out my OWN tickets

<j9e631F72h3U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6991&group=uk.rec.cycling#6991

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
avement_I’m_handing_out_my_OWN_tickets
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 13:13:05 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 13:13 UTC

On 16/03/2022 11:26 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 5:12:22 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 2:04:17 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> On Monday, March 14, 2022 at 9:52:52 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

Talking to yourself talking to yourself talking to yourself!

>>> Ward councillor, Satvir Kaur, told the Echo: “Drivers parking on pavements is an extremely selfish act, that puts others at risk.
>>
>>> "It not only makes it harder for other drivers and cyclists trying to weave past a half mounted car that shouldn’t be there, but it particularly makes it more difficult for elderly people, those in wheelchairs, or that use pushchairs to use and enjoy our local high street safely."
>>> DO THESE SCUM DRIVERS CARE ABOUT THE ELDERLY AND DISABLED? NO.
>> HERE'S THE PROOF.
>
>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNBeO7lX0AEmrL8?format=jpg&name=small
>
> Note that the double yellow lines apply to the footway parking as well.
> I've seen drivers ticketed for that offence.

Not on private property, you haven't.

Re: I’m so fed up with drivers parking on the pavement I’m handing out my OWN tickets

<2c5a3df1-36b2-4eb3-a962-44d81c124350n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6998&group=uk.rec.cycling#6998

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 07:37:11 -0700 (PDT)
ment_I’m_handing_out_my_OWN_tickets
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 14:37 UTC

On Wednesday, March 16, 2022 at 11:26:51 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 5:12:22 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 2:04:17 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > On Monday, March 14, 2022 at 9:52:52 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > >

> > > Ward councillor, Satvir Kaur, told the Echo: “Drivers parking on pavements is an extremely selfish act, that puts others at risk.
> > >
> > > "It not only makes it harder for other drivers and cyclists trying to weave past a half mounted car that shouldn’t be there, but it particularly makes it more difficult for elderly people, those in wheelchairs, or that use pushchairs to use and enjoy our local high street safely."
> > > DO THESE SCUM DRIVERS CARE ABOUT THE ELDERLY AND DISABLED? NO.
> > HERE'S THE PROOF.
> >
> > https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNBeO7lX0AEmrL8?format=jpg&name=small
> Note that the double yellow lines apply to the footway parking as well.
> I've seen drivers ticketed for that offence.

Notably outside a newsagent where I used to work. Easy meat for the yellow perils and endless fun for we onlookers!

Re: I’m so fed up with drivers parking on the pavement I’m handing out my OWN tickets

<bdd0e7bf-99a2-414d-b53c-475d7ca48316n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7024&group=uk.rec.cycling#7024

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 12:10:46 -0700 (PDT)
ment_I’m_handing_out_my_OWN_tickets
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 19:10 UTC

Nuneaton and Bedworth Police
11 March at 171pc:4s23d73 ·
Spotted this vehicle on our patrol of Bulkington this evening. Completely unacceptable parking blocking almost the entire path!
Driver will be receiving his ticket through the post in due course #ParkingFail

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FN_lmXXXMAkQvlY?format=jpg&name=medium

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / I’m so fed up with drivers parking on the pavement I’m handing out my OWN tickets