Q: What's tan and black and looks great on a lawyer? A: A doberman.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Driver leaves cyclist with life-changing injuries after momentary lapse in concentration

SubjectAuthor
* Driver leaves cyclist with life-changing injuries after momentaryswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Driver leaves cyclist with life-changing injuries after momentaryJNugent
|`- Re: Driver leaves cyclist with life-changing injuries after momentarySpike
+- Re: Driver leaves cyclist with life-changing injuries after momentaryswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Driver leaves cyclist with life-changing injuries after momentaryMike Collins
|+* Re: Driver leaves cyclist with life-changing injuries after momentaryswldx...@gmail.com
||`* Re: Driver leaves cyclist with life-changing injuries after momentaryMike Collins
|| `- Re: Driver leaves cyclist with life-changing injuries after momentaryswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Driver leaves cyclist with life-changing injuries after momentarySpike
`- Re: Driver leaves cyclist with life-changing injuries after momentaryswldx...@gmail.com

1
Driver leaves cyclist with life-changing injuries after momentary lapse in concentration

<45dd48d9-2428-4386-9f8a-0d2a52e80a5cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6923&group=uk.rec.cycling#6923

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 07:00:34 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Driver leaves cyclist with life-changing injuries after momentary
lapse in concentration
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 14:00 UTC

PATHETIC VERDICT FOR SCUM DRIVER AGAIN.

Motorist Marek Sektas seriously left a cyclist seriously-injured in hospital for months after knocking him off his bike.

The 41-year-old failed to stop at a roundabout and did not see his victim who was thrown in the air and suffered a fractured skull and a bleed on the brain.

Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court heard his victim needs full-time care and struggles to walk very far. Now Sektas has been sentenced to 18 months in prison, suspended for two years.

Prosecutor Mark Brookes said the incident happened on Campbell Road, Stoke, at 6.15am on June 1 last year.

He said a witness intended to turn on to the A500 when he stopped at the roundabout. Mr Brookes said: "The complainant was riding a pedal cycle from right to left. The witness described the loud revving of a vehicle coming behind him. He thought he was going to be hit.

"A car appeared on his left hand side. It showed no signs of slowing down on the roundabout and impacted with the bike. The cyclist and the bike went in the air slightly before landing on the road."

Police arrived at 6.20am. The defendant was at the scene and fully co-operated with police. He provided a negative breath test.

The victim was taken to the Royal Stoke University Hospital where a CT scan showed he had a fractured skull and a bleed on the brain. He underwent surgery on June 1 and 4 and was admitted to the intensive care unit before being transferred to the neurosurgical ward on June 15.

He underwent rehabilitation at the Haywood Hospital and was discharged on August 31.

He suffers episodes of mild confusion, low mood, anxiety and headaches and now lives with his brother's family.

Sektas, of Rose Street, Northwood, pleaded guilty to causing serious injury by dangerous driving.

Andrew Nuttall, mitigating, said the defendant, a forklift truck driver with 15 years experience, is highly thought of and a 'hard-working and decent member of the community'.

Mr Nuttall said: "He accepted it was not careless driving but dangerous driving. It was very brief. The defendant's vehicle stopped very quickly indeed which negates the idea he was travelling at any kind of excessive or inappropriate speed. What is clear he did not stop at the Give Way."

He said the victim had no lights on his electric bike, no high visibility clothing and was dressed in black. SO HE SAW HIM THEN?

Mr Nuttall said: "He should have been seen but he wasn't clearly able to be seen."

He said the defendant has no previous convictions and immediate custody would have a significant detrimental impact on his wife. The rest of their family live in Poland.

Mr Nuttall added: "His first concern has always been for his victim. He asks about him all the time. His remorse is real.
"He is worried about his wife and his home. If he receives immediate custody he will lose his home."

As part of the suspended sentence Sektas must carry out 140 hours unpaid work.

Judge Sally Hancox said: "You did not stop at the Give Way line when you should have done. Whatever your speed was it was too great for that road. You did stop almost immediately after the collision.

"The cyclist is aged 30. The injuries he suffered can only be described as extremely serious. He suffered bleeding on the brain and a skull fracture. He has to have assistance at all times.

"On June 1 last year a terrible collision took place. There was clearly a moment where you did not think. You had a lapse. Your attention lapse was momentary. It was short-distanced and immediately you stopped and accepted responsibility.

"You accept responsibility for the dreadful injuries caused. Immediate custody would have a harmful impact on your wife. You show and have shown genuine remorse. The sentence can properly be suspended."

Sektas was banned from driving for two years and three months and until he passes an extended test.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/driver-leaves-cyclist-life-changing-6791490

Re: Driver leaves cyclist with life-changing injuries after momentary lapse in concentration

<j9bo06Fn6ceU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6926&group=uk.rec.cycling#6926

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
lapse in concentration
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 15:00:23 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 15:00 UTC

> PATHETIC VERDICT FOR SCUM DRIVER AGAIN.
>
> Motorist Marek Sektas seriously left a cyclist seriously-injured in hospital for months after knocking him off his bike.
>
> The 41-year-old failed to stop at a roundabout and did not see his victim who was thrown in the air and suffered a fractured skull and a bleed on the brain.
>
> Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court heard his victim needs full-time care and struggles to walk very far. Now Sektas has been sentenced to 18 months in prison, suspended for two years.
>
> Prosecutor Mark Brookes said the incident happened on Campbell Road, Stoke, at 6.15am on June 1 last year.
>
> He said a witness intended to turn on to the A500 when he stopped at the roundabout. Mr Brookes said: "The complainant was riding a pedal cycle from right to left. The witness described the loud revving of a vehicle coming behind him. He thought he was going to be hit.
>
> "A car appeared on his left hand side. It showed no signs of slowing down on the roundabout and impacted with the bike. The cyclist and the bike went in the air slightly before landing on the road."
>
> Police arrived at 6.20am. The defendant was at the scene and fully co-operated with police. He provided a negative breath test.
>
> The victim was taken to the Royal Stoke University Hospital where a CT scan showed he had a fractured skull and a bleed on the brain. He underwent surgery on June 1 and 4 and was admitted to the intensive care unit before being transferred to the neurosurgical ward on June 15.
>
> He underwent rehabilitation at the Haywood Hospital and was discharged on August 31.
>
> He suffers episodes of mild confusion, low mood, anxiety and headaches and now lives with his brother's family.
>
> Sektas, of Rose Street, Northwood, pleaded guilty to causing serious injury by dangerous driving.
>
> Andrew Nuttall, mitigating, said the defendant, a forklift truck driver with 15 years experience, is highly thought of and a 'hard-working and decent member of the community'.
>
> Mr Nuttall said: "He accepted it was not careless driving but dangerous driving. It was very brief. The defendant's vehicle stopped very quickly indeed which negates the idea he was travelling at any kind of excessive or inappropriate speed. What is clear he did not stop at the Give Way."

A Give Way line and a Stop line are two different things.

> He said the victim had no lights on his electric bike, no high visibility clothing and was dressed in black. SO HE SAW HIM THEN?
>
> Mr Nuttall said: "He should have been seen but he wasn't clearly able to be seen."

That seems to answer Mason's query.

> He said the defendant has no previous convictions and immediate custody would have a significant detrimental impact on his wife. The rest of their family live in Poland.
>
> Mr Nuttall added: "His first concern has always been for his victim. He asks about him all the time. His remorse is real.
> "He is worried about his wife and his home. If he receives immediate custody he will lose his home."
>
> As part of the suspended sentence Sektas must carry out 140 hours unpaid work.
>
> Judge Sally Hancox said: "You did not stop at the Give Way line when you should have done. Whatever your speed was it was too great for that road. You did stop almost immediately after the collision.
>
> "The cyclist is aged 30. The injuries he suffered can only be described as extremely serious. He suffered bleeding on the brain and a skull fracture. He has to have assistance at all times.
>
> "On June 1 last year a terrible collision took place. There was clearly a moment where you did not think. You had a lapse. Your attention lapse was momentary. It was short-distanced and immediately you stopped and accepted responsibility.
>
> "You accept responsibility for the dreadful injuries caused. Immediate custody would have a harmful impact on your wife. You show and have shown genuine remorse. The sentence can properly be suspended."
>
> Sektas was banned from driving for two years and three months and until he passes an extended test.
>
> https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/driver-leaves-cyclist-life-changing-6791490

Re: Driver leaves cyclist with life-changing injuries after momentary lapse in concentration

<j9bqnrFno8tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6933&group=uk.rec.cycling#6933

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
lapse in concentration
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 15:47:09 +0000
 by: Spike - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 15:47 UTC

On 15/03/2022 15:00, wrote:

> "The cyclist is aged 30. The injuries he suffered can only be described as extremely serious. He suffered bleeding on the brain and a skull fracture. He has to have assistance at all times.

Dare one mention the presence or absence of the H-word?

UAE Team Emirates’ Matteo Trentin praised his helmet after a crash,
saying "You never understand how important wearing your helmet is until
your head touches the ground".

--
Spike

Re: Driver leaves cyclist with life-changing injuries after momentary lapse in concentration

<a00b47be-3ba1-4f27-b889-c3de706bafb5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6939&group=uk.rec.cycling#6939

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 10:00:17 -0700 (PDT)
lapse in concentration
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 17:00 UTC

On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 2:00:37 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> PATHETIC VERDICT FOR SCUM DRIVER AGAIN.

1 hr ago

Ok firstly, at 6:15 on a June morning, it has been daylight for a good period of time, therefore his defence trying to shift some of the responsibility onto the cyclist is baseless at best. The motorist would have been able to clearly see the cyclist, regardless of what colour clothing they were wearing at the time. This leads me onto my next point which is was the motorist distracted, and would it be too far of a stretch to suggest that that distraction could've been an electronic device? And thirdly what right does his defence barrister have to say that any custodial sentence imposed would have a significant detrimental impact on his wife. What about the significant detrimental impact of the injuries sustained by the cyclist have on his and his families lives. His life will not be the same as a direct consequence of this motorist's actions. Nope the sentence should have been a substantial period in custody followed by a substantial (if not a lifelong) motoring ban. Once again the courts have let the victim and their family down.

> https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/driver-leaves-cyclist-life-changing-6791490

Re: Driver leaves cyclist with life-changing injuries after momentary lapse in concentration

<0384e515-c8f7-4c83-9f0b-44f8026261d4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6955&group=uk.rec.cycling#6955

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 11:48:12 -0700 (PDT)
lapse in concentration
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 18:48 UTC

On Tuesday, 15 March 2022 at 14:00:37 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> "The cyclist is aged 30. The injuries he suffered can only be described as extremely serious. He suffered bleeding on the brain and a skull fracture.. He has to have assistance at all times.
>
> "On June 1 last year a terrible collision took place. There was clearly a moment where you did not think. You had a lapse. Your attention lapse was momentary. It was short-distanced and immediately you stopped and accepted responsibility.
>
> "You accept responsibility for the dreadful injuries caused. Immediate custody would have a harmful impact on your wife. You show and have shown genuine remorse. The sentence can properly be suspended."
>
> Sektas was banned from driving for two years and three months and until he passes an extended test.

I am sure NugentSpike will find a way to blame the victim.

Re: Driver leaves cyclist with life-changing injuries after momentary lapse in concentration

<2d03b057-05b5-4009-9ed6-f685f33c64aen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6956&group=uk.rec.cycling#6956

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 11:51:28 -0700 (PDT)
lapse in concentration
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 18:51 UTC

On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 6:48:13 PM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 March 2022 at 14:00:37 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > PATHETIC VERDICT FOR SCUM DRIVER AGAIN.
> >
> > Motorist Marek Sektas seriously left a cyclist seriously-injured in hospital for months after knocking him off his bike.

> > Sektas was banned from driving for two years and three months and until he passes an extended test.
> >
> > https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/driver-leaves-cyclist-life-changing-6791490
> I am sure NugentSpike will find a way to blame the victim.

I wouldn't know - they are both in my killfile -- the former for 12 years.

Re: Driver leaves cyclist with life-changing injuries after momentary lapse in concentration

<j9dpe3F4ohbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6964&group=uk.rec.cycling#6964

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
lapse in concentration
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 09:37:08 +0000
 by: Spike - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 09:37 UTC

On 15/03/2022 18:48, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 March 2022 at 14:00:37 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote

>> Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court heard his victim needs full-time care and struggles to walk very far. Now Sektas has been sentenced to 18 months in prison, suspended for two years.

Had the cyclist died, perhaps a £2000 fine would have been enough, as we
have seen in at least one case of a cyclist killing a pedestrian.

>> He said the cyclist had no lights on his electric bike, no high visibility clothing and was dressed in black.

> I am sure NugentSpike will find a way to blame the victim.

"The cyclist
HAD NO LIGHTS on his electric bike
NO HIGH VISIBILITY CLOTHING and was
DRESSED IN BLACK".

Was he wearing a helmet?

--
Spike

Re: Driver leaves cyclist with life-changing injuries after momentary lapse in concentration

<ff314811-a08b-4f20-ace9-77f553ef6a43n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6971&group=uk.rec.cycling#6971

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 04:34:01 -0700 (PDT)
lapse in concentration
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 11:34 UTC

On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 2:00:37 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> PATHETIC VERDICT FOR SCUM DRIVER AGAIN.

> He said the victim had no lights on his electric bike, no high visibility clothing and was dressed in black. SO HE SAW HIM THEN?

QUOTE:
"The invisible cyclist was wearing dark green trousers, a dark blue jacket, dark red socks, dark brown shoes, a dark grey hat and he had Sennheiser earpieces in."

Re: Driver leaves cyclist with life-changing injuries after momentary lapse in concentration

<5b33a14c-9d06-4318-ad03-c4b3a7fe406en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6975&group=uk.rec.cycling#6975

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 04:41:48 -0700 (PDT)
lapse in concentration
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 11:41 UTC

On Tuesday, 15 March 2022 at 18:51:30 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 6:48:13 PM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 15 March 2022 at 14:00:37 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > PATHETIC VERDICT FOR SCUM DRIVER AGAIN.
> > >
> > > Motorist Marek Sektas seriously left a cyclist seriously-injured in hospital for months after knocking him off his bike.
>

> > > Sektas was banned from driving for two years and three months and until he passes an extended test.
> > >
> > > https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/driver-leaves-cyclist-life-changing-6791490
> > I am sure NugentSpike will find a way to blame the victim.
> I wouldn't know - they are both in my killfile -- the former for 12 years.

Nugent, Pounder and Spike are the same person.

Re: Driver leaves cyclist with life-changing injuries after momentary lapse in concentration

<d513a1bc-93a9-49ca-9845-776f16ceca9en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6978&group=uk.rec.cycling#6978

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 04:52:03 -0700 (PDT)
lapse in concentration
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 11:52 UTC

On Wednesday, March 16, 2022 at 11:41:49 AM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 March 2022 at 18:51:30 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > I am sure NugentSpike will find a way to blame the victim.
> > I wouldn't know - they are both in my killfile -- the former for 12 years.
> Nugent, Pounder and Spike are the same person.

Pounder was the only troll that asked me to put him in MY killfile.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Driver leaves cyclist with life-changing injuries after momentary lapse in concentration