It's always darkest just before it gets pitch black.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / SDS/SDS+/Max recommendations

SubjectAuthor
* SDS/SDS+/Max recommendationsCursitor Doom
`* Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendationsJohn Rumm
 +* Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendationsCursitor Doom
 |`* Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendationsGB
 | +* Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendationsCursitor Doom
 | |`- Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendationsGB
 | `* Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendationsTricky Dicky
 |  +* Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendationsGB
 |  |`* Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendationsJohn Rumm
 |  | +- Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendationsCursitor Doom
 |  | `* Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendationsDave Plowman (News)
 |  |  `* Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendationsJohn Rumm
 |  |   `* Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendationssintv
 |  |    `- Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendationsjaouad zarrabi
 |  `- Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendationsCursitor Doom
 +- Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendationsDave Plowman (News)
 `- Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendationsARW

1
SDS/SDS+/Max recommendations

<abc4ih545d9o39k9fnl152uusiovqifand@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=69254&group=uk.d-i-y#69254

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendations
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 20:59:35 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 19:59 UTC

Gentlemen,

Anyone know what's currently a good deal for one of these higher power
drills? I want one which does the usual hammer stuff plus chisel and
core drilling plus also being able to drive in M16 thunderbolts into
concrete.
I thought one of these would do the trick as it seems to have
reasonable power, but will have to be returned under warranty as the
speed controller has gone haywire:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erh750-3-4kg-electric-sds-plus-drill-220-240v/232fv#BVQAWidgetID

So.... anything more suited out there?

cheers,

CD

Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendations

<tfttuf$34h1n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=69264&group=uk.d-i-y#69264

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendations
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 02:08:31 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 01:08 UTC

On 14/09/2022 20:59, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> Gentlemen,
>
> Anyone know what's currently a good deal for one of these higher power
> drills? I want one which does the usual hammer stuff plus chisel and
> core drilling plus also being able to drive in M16 thunderbolts into
> concrete.

Depends on what you mean by higher power... 700 - 800W is about par for
the course for a 2kg class machine.

The larger 5kg class machines will give you more joules per hammer blow,
and better SDS drill performance in hard materials. Although more
expensive and more tiring to use for day to day work.

SDS Max machines are serious brutes - but again (much) more hammer and
drilling capability. Not necessarily much extra core capability though.
(Max tooling is also quite a bit more expensive - but you can get larger
dill bits)

Most SDS machines will claim to do 80mm diamond cores. In reality you
can do larger if you take it very carefully and get the hole very
straight. (I have done 107mm cores with by SDS - but you are right on
the limit of the clutch letting go). If you need larger cores regularly,
then get a core drill[1]

[1] But not the sparky like mine, which is pretty poor! (clutch lets go
too easily on that)

> I thought one of these would do the trick as it seems to have
> reasonable power, but will have to be returned under warranty as the
> speed controller has gone haywire:
> https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erh750-3-4kg-electric-sds-plus-drill-220-240v/232fv#BVQAWidgetID

That's almost Makita money:

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-hr2630-26mm-sds-plus-rotary-hammer-3-function-replaces-hr2610

My old 2450 has taken years of use and abuse, and still works well
(although I did have to replace the armature once!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendations

<cdq5ih1nel4odjk49mqm0kof4f7q9snks1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=69280&group=uk.d-i-y#69280

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 10:01:00 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 09:01 UTC

On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 02:08:31 +0100, John Rumm
<see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:

>On 14/09/2022 20:59, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>> Gentlemen,
>>
>> Anyone know what's currently a good deal for one of these higher power
>> drills? I want one which does the usual hammer stuff plus chisel and
>> core drilling plus also being able to drive in M16 thunderbolts into
>> concrete.
>
>Depends on what you mean by higher power... 700 - 800W is about par for
>the course for a 2kg class machine.
>
>The larger 5kg class machines will give you more joules per hammer blow,
>and better SDS drill performance in hard materials. Although more
>expensive and more tiring to use for day to day work.
>
>SDS Max machines are serious brutes - but again (much) more hammer and
>drilling capability. Not necessarily much extra core capability though.
>(Max tooling is also quite a bit more expensive - but you can get larger
>dill bits)
>
>Most SDS machines will claim to do 80mm diamond cores. In reality you
>can do larger if you take it very carefully and get the hole very
>straight. (I have done 107mm cores with by SDS - but you are right on
>the limit of the clutch letting go). If you need larger cores regularly,
>then get a core drill[1]
>
>[1] But not the sparky like mine, which is pretty poor! (clutch lets go
>too easily on that)
>
>> I thought one of these would do the trick as it seems to have
>> reasonable power, but will have to be returned under warranty as the
>> speed controller has gone haywire:
>> https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erh750-3-4kg-electric-sds-plus-drill-220-240v/232fv#BVQAWidgetID
>
>That's almost Makita money:
>
>https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-hr2630-26mm-sds-plus-rotary-hammer-3-function-replaces-hr2610
>
>My old 2450 has taken years of use and abuse, and still works well
>(although I did have to replace the armature once!)

Thanks, John, I'll check it out.

Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendations

<tfv0vk$3aea4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=69305&group=uk.d-i-y#69305

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 12:06:28 +0100
 by: GB - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 11:06 UTC

On 15/09/2022 10:01, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 02:08:31 +0100, John Rumm
> <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
>
>> On 14/09/2022 20:59, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>>> Gentlemen,
>>>
>>> Anyone know what's currently a good deal for one of these higher power
>>> drills? I want one which does the usual hammer stuff plus chisel and
>>> core drilling plus also being able to drive in M16 thunderbolts into
>>> concrete.
>>
>> Depends on what you mean by higher power... 700 - 800W is about par for
>> the course for a 2kg class machine.
>>
>> The larger 5kg class machines will give you more joules per hammer blow,
>> and better SDS drill performance in hard materials. Although more
>> expensive and more tiring to use for day to day work.
>>
>> SDS Max machines are serious brutes - but again (much) more hammer and
>> drilling capability. Not necessarily much extra core capability though.
>> (Max tooling is also quite a bit more expensive - but you can get larger
>> dill bits)
>>
>> Most SDS machines will claim to do 80mm diamond cores. In reality you
>> can do larger if you take it very carefully and get the hole very
>> straight. (I have done 107mm cores with by SDS - but you are right on
>> the limit of the clutch letting go). If you need larger cores regularly,
>> then get a core drill[1]
>>
>> [1] But not the sparky like mine, which is pretty poor! (clutch lets go
>> too easily on that)
>>
>>> I thought one of these would do the trick as it seems to have
>>> reasonable power, but will have to be returned under warranty as the
>>> speed controller has gone haywire:
>>> https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erh750-3-4kg-electric-sds-plus-drill-220-240v/232fv#BVQAWidgetID
>>
>> That's almost Makita money:
>>
>> https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-hr2630-26mm-sds-plus-rotary-hammer-3-function-replaces-hr2610
>>
>> My old 2450 has taken years of use and abuse, and still works well
>> (although I did have to replace the armature once!)
>
> Thanks, John, I'll check it out.

You've also looked at the heavy Titan SDS+ drills at Screwfix?

I'm curious why you would tighten M16 bolts with a drill rather than an
impact driver?

Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendations

<5a28494e94dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=69309&group=uk.d-i-y#69309

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 12:18:15 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 11:18 UTC

In article <tfttuf$34h1n$1@dont-email.me>,
John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
> My old 2450 has taken years of use and abuse, and still works well
> (although I did have to replace the armature once!)

I bought the small DeWalt from TLC many moons ago - when it was IIRC the
only reasonably light SDS on the market. Didn't want a heavy one for wall
chasing, etc. Still works just fine. But only gets used where I need an
SDS.

--
*If you can read this, thank a teecher

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendations

<eh86ihhjuehin5cs9r4a8tah22e13ugi0j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=69327&group=uk.d-i-y#69327

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 14:08:15 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 13:08 UTC

On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 12:06:28 +0100, GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid>
wrote:

>On 15/09/2022 10:01, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 02:08:31 +0100, John Rumm
>> <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:

>>> Depends on what you mean by higher power... 700 - 800W is about par for
>>> the course for a 2kg class machine.
>>>
>>> The larger 5kg class machines will give you more joules per hammer blow,
>>> and better SDS drill performance in hard materials. Although more
>>> expensive and more tiring to use for day to day work.
>>>
>>> SDS Max machines are serious brutes - but again (much) more hammer and
>>> drilling capability. Not necessarily much extra core capability though.
>>> (Max tooling is also quite a bit more expensive - but you can get larger
>>> dill bits)
>>>
>>> Most SDS machines will claim to do 80mm diamond cores. In reality you
>>> can do larger if you take it very carefully and get the hole very
>>> straight. (I have done 107mm cores with by SDS - but you are right on
>>> the limit of the clutch letting go). If you need larger cores regularly,
>>> then get a core drill[1]
>>>
>>> [1] But not the sparky like mine, which is pretty poor! (clutch lets go
>>> too easily on that)

>>> That's almost Makita money:
>>>
>>> https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-hr2630-26mm-sds-plus-rotary-hammer-3-function-replaces-hr2610
>>>
>>> My old 2450 has taken years of use and abuse, and still works well
>>> (although I did have to replace the armature once!)
>>
>> Thanks, John, I'll check it out.
>

>You've also looked at the heavy Titan SDS+ drills at Screwfix?

No, I wanted a make I was reasonably familiar with and AFAIK, the
Titan stuff is Screwfix's own brand and might be made of junk for all
I know. BnQ has the same scheme with their MacAllister range. Having
said that, I've had a Mac 4" grinder/cutter for many years that's
taken much abuse but is still working as well as ever it did.

>I'm curious why you would tighten M16 bolts with a drill rather than an
>impact driver?

Yeah, I'm really not a metric person. I meant something quite a bit
smaller than M16.
You're right about the impact driver, though! I'd forgot that:

A) it would be for more suitable and
B) I've got a HD pneumatic one already!

Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendations

<tfv90s$3b5gl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=69330&group=uk.d-i-y#69330

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 14:23:40 +0100
 by: GB - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 13:23 UTC

On 15/09/2022 14:08, Cursitor Doom wrote:

>> You've also looked at the heavy Titan SDS+ drills at Screwfix?
>
> No, I wanted a make I was reasonably familiar with and AFAIK, the
> Titan stuff is Screwfix's own brand and might be made of junk for all
> I know. BnQ has the same scheme with their MacAllister range. Having
> said that, I've had a Mac 4" grinder/cutter for many years that's
> taken much abuse but is still working as well as ever it did.

The 6Kg Titan drills are great workhorses. Not at all refined, but very
powerful. In a completely different league from the Erbauer one.

Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendations

<tfv9pv$3b8e8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=69332&group=uk.d-i-y#69332

From: tricky.d...@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 13:37:03 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:L98GgKKHHOVVstpiFRBRPWkF1SE=
 by: Tricky Dicky - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 13:37 UTC

GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:
> On 15/09/2022 10:01, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 02:08:31 +0100, John Rumm
>> <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:

>>> Depends on what you mean by higher power... 700 - 800W is about par for
>>> the course for a 2kg class machine.
>>>
>>> The larger 5kg class machines will give you more joules per hammer blow,
>>> and better SDS drill performance in hard materials. Although more
>>> expensive and more tiring to use for day to day work.
>>>
>>> SDS Max machines are serious brutes - but again (much) more hammer and
>>> drilling capability. Not necessarily much extra core capability though.
>>> (Max tooling is also quite a bit more expensive - but you can get larger
>>> dill bits)
>>>
>>> Most SDS machines will claim to do 80mm diamond cores. In reality you
>>> can do larger if you take it very carefully and get the hole very
>>> straight. (I have done 107mm cores with by SDS - but you are right on
>>> the limit of the clutch letting go). If you need larger cores regularly,
>>> then get a core drill[1]
>>>
>>> [1] But not the sparky like mine, which is pretty poor! (clutch lets go
>>> too easily on that)

>>> That's almost Makita money:
>>>
>>> https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-hr2630-26mm-sds-plus-rotary-hammer-3-function-replaces-hr2610
>>>
>>> My old 2450 has taken years of use and abuse, and still works well
>>> (although I did have to replace the armature once!)
>>
>> Thanks, John, I'll check it out.
>

> You've also looked at the heavy Titan SDS+ drills at Screwfix?
>
> I'm curious why you would tighten M16 bolts with a drill rather than an
> impact driver?

I recently bought a Titan SDS+ when my ELU packed up after a lifetime of
use and abuse. I was looking forward to using some Auger drills I had
acquired which had SDS+ shanks only to find the bugger did not have
reverse. I only bought the Titan as in my twilight years I have less need
for that sort of power being able to drill the brick and breeze block walls
easily with my battery DeWalt.

Richard

Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendations

<tfvap7$3bbpi$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=69337&group=uk.d-i-y#69337

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 14:53:44 +0100
 by: GB - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 13:53 UTC

On 15/09/2022 14:37, Tricky Dicky wrote:

> I recently bought a Titan SDS+ when my ELU packed up after a lifetime of
> use and abuse. I was looking forward to using some Auger drills I had
> acquired which had SDS+ shanks only to find the bugger did not have
> reverse.

True. It doesn't. It's very good at making holes in things, though.

Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendations

<tfvk91$3cii9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=69367&group=uk.d-i-y#69367

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 17:35:43 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 16:35 UTC

On 15/09/2022 14:53, GB wrote:
> On 15/09/2022 14:37, Tricky Dicky wrote:
>
>> I recently bought a Titan SDS+ when my ELU packed up after a lifetime of
>> use and abuse. I was looking forward to using some Auger drills I had
>> acquired which had SDS+ shanks only to find the bugger did not have
>> reverse.
>
> True. It doesn't. It's very good at making holes in things, though.

In one side and out the other!

When you want a easy way of demolishing something then they are ok, but
for much work, finesse is a bit more important IMHO.

I can stick a chisel on my SDS, and lightly cut through the plaster skim
following a line round a backbox cutout. Then sink the edges cleanly to
depth, and finally hog out the waste, planing down the back to a flat
(enough) surface to mount a box in. Some machines are a bit too much
"all or nothing" to do that kind of stuff neatly.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendations

<3cl6ih1e7qsg9ehudnmnfl4knv7qm1s1m1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=69368&group=uk.d-i-y#69368

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 17:42:01 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 16:42 UTC

On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 13:37:03 -0000 (UTC), Tricky Dicky
<tricky.dicky@sky.com> wrote:

>GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:
>> On 15/09/2022 10:01, Cursitor Doom wrote:

>>> Thanks, John, I'll check it out.
>>

>> You've also looked at the heavy Titan SDS+ drills at Screwfix?
>>
>> I'm curious why you would tighten M16 bolts with a drill rather than an
>> impact driver?
>>

>I recently bought a Titan SDS+ when my ELU packed up after a lifetime of
>use and abuse. I was looking forward to using some Auger drills I had
>acquired which had SDS+ shanks only to find the bugger did not have
>reverse.

Extraordinary! So... the auger in question is still deeply embedded in
a tree trunk somewhere awaiting liberation?

Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendations

<tfvnd3$3cp0v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=69381&group=uk.d-i-y#69381

From: adamwads...@blueyonder.co.uk (ARW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 18:29:09 +0100
 by: ARW - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 17:29 UTC

On 15/09/2022 02:08, John Rumm wrote:

> That's almost Makita money:
>
> https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-hr2630-26mm-sds-plus-rotary-hammer-3-function-replaces-hr2610

I have the 110V version.

Seriously good.

Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendations

<jsp6ih1gjjpk0f16obp88diekp8e8cjfuj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=69395&group=uk.d-i-y#69395

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 19:00:49 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 18:00 UTC

On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 17:35:43 +0100, John Rumm
<see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:

>On 15/09/2022 14:53, GB wrote:
>> On 15/09/2022 14:37, Tricky Dicky wrote:
>>
>>> I recently bought a Titan SDS+ when my ELU packed up after a lifetime of
>>> use and abuse. I was looking forward to using some Auger drills I had
>>> acquired which had SDS+ shanks only to find the bugger did not have
>>> reverse.
>>
>> True. It doesn't. It's very good at making holes in things, though.
>
>In one side and out the other!
>
>When you want a easy way of demolishing something then they are ok, but
>for much work, finesse is a bit more important IMHO.
>
>I can stick a chisel on my SDS, and lightly cut through the plaster skim
>following a line round a backbox cutout. Then sink the edges cleanly to
>depth, and finally hog out the waste, planing down the back to a flat
>(enough) surface to mount a box in. Some machines are a bit too much
>"all or nothing" to do that kind of stuff neatly.

I decided to order the one you suggested, John. I kind of lost faith
with Erbauer after that issue with the speed controller. It's supposed
to ramp up the speed smoothly and 9 times out of 10 it did, but every
now and again it would go from zero to flat-out in a split second,
jerking like billy-o in the process with the sudden torque! Scary. And
dangerous!

Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendations

<5a28db2434dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=69482&group=uk.d-i-y#69482

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 14:51:09 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 13:51 UTC

In article <tfvk91$3cii9$1@dont-email.me>,
John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
> On 15/09/2022 14:53, GB wrote:
> > On 15/09/2022 14:37, Tricky Dicky wrote:
> >
> >> I recently bought a Titan SDS+ when my ELU packed up after a lifetime of
> >> use and abuse. I was looking forward to using some Auger drills I had
> >> acquired which had SDS+ shanks only to find the bugger did not have
> >> reverse.
> >
> > True. It doesn't. It's very good at making holes in things, though.

> In one side and out the other!

> When you want a easy way of demolishing something then they are ok, but
> for much work, finesse is a bit more important IMHO.

> I can stick a chisel on my SDS, and lightly cut through the plaster skim
> following a line round a backbox cutout. Then sink the edges cleanly to
> depth, and finally hog out the waste, planing down the back to a flat
> (enough) surface to mount a box in. Some machines are a bit too much
> "all or nothing" to do that kind of stuff neatly.

It's a dichotomy. To buy a powerful SDS that is also heavy but can make
light work of breaking up concrete and drilling large holes. Or one light
enough not to tire out your arms when chasing walls. Or just buy both.

--
*Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendations

<tg2et3$3ta3q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=69544&group=uk.d-i-y#69544

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 19:22:26 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 18:22 UTC

> In article <tfvk91$3cii9$1@dont-email.me>,
> John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:

>>> True. It doesn't. It's very good at making holes in things, though.
>
>> In one side and out the other!
>
>> When you want a easy way of demolishing something then they are ok, but
>> for much work, finesse is a bit more important IMHO.
>
>> I can stick a chisel on my SDS, and lightly cut through the plaster skim
>> following a line round a backbox cutout. Then sink the edges cleanly to
>> depth, and finally hog out the waste, planing down the back to a flat
>> (enough) surface to mount a box in. Some machines are a bit too much
>> "all or nothing" to do that kind of stuff neatly.
>
> It's a dichotomy. To buy a powerful SDS that is also heavy but can make
> light work of breaking up concrete and drilling large holes. Or one light
> enough not to tire out your arms when chasing walls. Or just buy both.

I have three machines that kind of fit the bill - my Makita 2450 2kg
class, a Wicks branded (OEMed by Sparky) Max SDS which I bought for
peanuts, and a 15kg chinesium concrete breaker. Of those the Makita is
used by far the most (>90% of jobs), the 15kG breaker rarely, and the
SDS Max hardly ever (I think I have used it 3 times in the last 15
years, and would have used it a fourth if I had a 30mm SDS max drill bit
for it).

So the smaller lighter SDS wins for most jobs. If I added anything else
it would be a 18V (or probably 36V) Makita SDS.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendations

<492d59ce-5c3f-485c-b17d-e3c4dbcaaa6dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=69555&group=uk.d-i-y#69555

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 12:31:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: sinclai...@gmail.com (sintv)
 by: sintv - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 19:31 UTC

I use a 36v Bosch, the same kind that Sky used. On a fully charged battery I get 5 installs easily out of it. The new ones are 6.0Ah and over £500. Mine is 5 yrs old and still goes through walls like butter though the batteries are 3.0Ah

Re: SDS/SDS+/Max recommendations

<82ea3fd8-e451-460b-9d6b-94490d150230n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72210&group=uk.d-i-y#72210

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 13:43:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: jzarrab...@gmail.com (jaouad zarrabi)
 by: jaouad zarrabi - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 20:43 UTC

El viernes, 16 de septiembre de 2022 a las 21:31:36 UTC+2, sintv escribió:
> I use a 36v Bosch, the same kind that Sky used. On a fully charged battery I get 5 installs easily out of it. The new ones are 6.0Ah and over £500. Mine is 5 yrs old and still goes through walls like butter though the batteries are 3.0Ah
Buy diamond watches, women's and men's diamond jewelry at our NYCs Diamond Jewelry Store up to 80% off!
ItsHot Diamond Jewelry Store NY offering genuine diamond watches and a full line of Mens & Womens Diamond Jewelry. View Our Diamond Jewelry Online or Visit Our New York Jewelry Store at 48 West 48th St., Suite 302, New York, NY 10036.
We are a premier NYC jewelry company with an established storefront located in the heart of New York city's Diamond Jewelry district. We specialize in the creation and wholesale of a wide array of exquisite designs of Men's Diamond Watches, Women's Diamond Watches and Diamond Jewelry including Rings, Earrings, Bracelets, Necklaces, Pendants, and more.
We strive for the highest degree of customer satisfaction by offering quality merchandise, amazing selection, incredible prices, and one of the leading customer service departments in the industry that delivers 24/7 customer support.
https://www.itshot.com/?A=3114

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / SDS/SDS+/Max recommendations