If a thing's worth having, it's worth cheating for. -- W. C. Fields

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: Mac drive letters?

SubjectAuthor
* Mac drive letters?Snit
+- Mac drive letters?Commander Kinsey
+* Mac drive letters?Commander Kinsey
|+* Mac drive letters?Snit
||`* Mac drive letters?Snit
|| `- Mac drive letters?Snit
|`* Mac drive letters?Snit
| `- Mac drive letters?Snit
`- Mac drive letters?Snit

1
Re: Mac drive letters?

<yegXJ.44388$Wwf9.10634@fx23.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6938&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6938

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.macintosh,comp.os.apple,comp.sys.apple,uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Mac drive letters?
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 06:33:02 GMT
 by: Snit - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 06:33 UTC

On Mar 12, 2022 at 7:41:12 PM MST, "Gremlin" wrote
<XnsAE58DC9BDE132HT1@cF04o3ON7k2lx05.lLC.9r5>:

> Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> news:HdwQJ.23926$jxu4.7002@fx02.iad Sun,
> 20 Feb 2022 19:00:55 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:
>
>> On Feb 20, 2022 at 8:21:46 AM MST, "Chris" wrote
>> <sutmaa$e75$1@dont-email.me>:

>>> Easily.

>>> It's a UNIX system so all paths are relative to root '/'. Once you get
>>> used to a unified system, drive letters make no sense.
>>
>> Add to that on macOS you can move and rename files even when they are
>> open.
>
> That's not exclusive to macOS.

Would love to see you demonstrate this, as I do in these videos:

https://youtu.be/ulPJmuxQX8s

And this one where I was responding to someone who just could not believe
these things were possible:

https://youtu.be/vS9ORbixIt0

> I've got this client open and just renamed
> it's Xnews.exe file to Xnews2.exe *while* it's running. IE: "open". Linux
> doesn't care. I even did it thru the Dolphin file manager. I clicked the
> xnews.exe, hit F2, typed xnews2.exe and pressed enter. All the while, I've
> got the client running under wine. rofl.

Not sure what you find funny.

> Just verified I can also do it with gedit. I opened sigfuckbrooks.txt with
> gedit and renamed file to sigfuckbrooks2.txt no issue. Now.. this is where
> doing this can get interesting under this distro and build of Linux
> atleast. I saved the file in gedit. Instead of saving my changes to
> sigfuckbrooks2.txt it went and created a brand new file, using the
> original name and saved the contents to that instead.
>
> This particular behavior may change depending on how the program accessed
> the file in question. Once a file handle has been established, the name
> itself no longer matters. Gedit due to the file size might have loaded the
> entire thing into ram and released the handle. In such a case, the file
> wasn't really open when I renamed it, despite it being visibly open in
> Gedit. So when gedit 'saved' it, it was treated as a legit new file. the
> old name was free, since i renamed it...
>

> I don't have the time tonight to do more testing, but, I'll jot this down
> in my reminders list.

Cool. Thanks for testing.

If you have time to show stuff similar to what I did that would be excellent.
Such comparisons are of interest to me.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Mac drive letters?

<op.1i90n7zimvhs6z@ryzen.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7219&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7219

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.macintosh,comp.os.apple,comp.sys.apple,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 11:53:57 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 11:53 UTC

<op.1i90qdb8mvhs6z@ryzen.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7220&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7220

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.macintosh,comp.os.apple,comp.sys.apple,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 11:55:15 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 11:55 UTC

On Sun, 13 Mar 2022 06:33:02 -0000, Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2022 at 7:41:12 PM MST, "Gremlin" wrote
> <XnsAE58DC9BDE132HT1@cF04o3ON7k2lx05.lLC.9r5>:
>
>> Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> news:HdwQJ.23926$jxu4.7002@fx02.iad Sun,
>> 20 Feb 2022 19:00:55 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

>>> Add to that on macOS you can move and rename files even when they are
>>> open.
>>
>> That's not exclusive to macOS.
>
> Would love to see you demonstrate this, as I do in these videos:
>
> https://youtu.be/ulPJmuxQX8s
>
> And this one where I was responding to someone who just could not believe
> these things were possible:
>
> https://youtu.be/vS9ORbixIt0
>
>> I've got this client open and just renamed
>> it's Xnews.exe file to Xnews2.exe *while* it's running. IE: "open". Linux
>> doesn't care. I even did it thru the Dolphin file manager. I clicked the
>> xnews.exe, hit F2, typed xnews2.exe and pressed enter. All the while, I've
>> got the client running under wine. rofl.
>
> Not sure what you find funny.

That you think only MacOS does that.

Oops I replied emptily. I'd already hit reply and was reading through it, and didn't realise I had, so hit what I thought was the reply button again, which was actually send. Even though one's a curly arrow and one's a paper aeroplane.

Re: Mac drive letters?

<ymKZJ.96448$yi_7.54083@fx39.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7240&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7240

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.macintosh,comp.os.apple,comp.sys.apple,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 18:27:42 GMT
 by: Snit - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 18:27 UTC

On Mar 19, 2022 at 4:55:15 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
<op.1i90qdb8mvhs6z@ryzen.lan>:

> On Sun, 13 Mar 2022 06:33:02 -0000, Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 12, 2022 at 7:41:12 PM MST, "Gremlin" wrote
>> <XnsAE58DC9BDE132HT1@cF04o3ON7k2lx05.lLC.9r5>:
>>
>>> Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> news:HdwQJ.23926$jxu4.7002@fx02.iad Sun,

>>> That's not exclusive to macOS.
>>
>> Would love to see you demonstrate this, as I do in these videos:
>>
>> https://youtu.be/ulPJmuxQX8s
>>
>> And this one where I was responding to someone who just could not believe
>> these things were possible:
>>
>> https://youtu.be/vS9ORbixIt0
>>
>>> I've got this client open and just renamed
>>> it's Xnews.exe file to Xnews2.exe *while* it's running. IE: "open". Linux
>>> doesn't care. I even did it thru the Dolphin file manager. I clicked the
>>> xnews.exe, hit F2, typed xnews2.exe and pressed enter. All the while, I've
>>> got the client running under wine. rofl.
>>
>> Not sure what you find funny.
>
> That you think only MacOS does that.

The last time a Linux user tried to show me how Linux allows you to change
names of open files it was quite funny.

https://youtu.be/W15g0TwA_E0

> Oops I replied emptily. I'd already hit reply and was reading through it, and
> didn't realise I had, so hit what I thought was the reply button again, which
> was actually send. Even though one's a curly arrow and one's a paper
> aeroplane.

It happens.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Mac drive letters?

<V%TZJ.222870$mF2.73096@fx11.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7243&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7243

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.macintosh,comp.os.apple,comp.sys.apple,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 05:26:13 GMT
 by: Snit - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 05:26 UTC

On Mar 20, 2022 at 10:01:34 PM MST, "Gremlin" wrote
<XnsAE61A7073C2HT1@cF04o3ON7k2lx05.lLC.9r5>:

> Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> news:ymKZJ.96448$yi_7.54083@fx39.iad Sun,
> 20 Mar 2022 18:27:42 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:
>
>> On Mar 19, 2022 at 4:55:15 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
>> <op.1i90qdb8mvhs6z@ryzen.lan>:

>>> That you think only MacOS does that.
>>
>> The last time a Linux user tried to show me how Linux allows you to
>> change names of open files it was quite funny.
>
> So you do think it can't be done under Linux as i've described then?

If you can show a way to do these things I would love to see it. Give you a
chance to actually talk tech:

https://youtu.be/Hm3PK_-iHsg
https://youtu.be/vS9ORbixIt0

Both are responses to folks who used Linux... and they were never able to show
Linux doing anything similar. If you can do so that would be awesome. Hell,
you would talk tech, teach me something, and even show I was wrong (I do not
think you can this with Linux, at least on most distros as they come).

> You
> realize, I laid out a repeatable procedure which can be used to check my
> results, easily right? No video necessary.

Looks like you are speaking of an executable and not the file being edited...
but maybe you did not understand what was being talked about.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Mac drive letters?

<K0UZJ.195764$f2a5.148082@fx48.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7244&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7244

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.macintosh,comp.os.apple,comp.sys.apple,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 05:27:06 GMT
 by: Snit - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 05:27 UTC

On Mar 20, 2022 at 10:01:33 PM MST, "Gremlin" wrote
<XnsAE61A6FE193HT1@cF04o3ON7k2lx05.lLC.9r5>:

> "Commander Kinsey" <CK1@nospam.com> news:op.1i90qdb8mvhs6z@ryzen.lan Sat,
> 19 Mar 2022 11:55:15 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 13 Mar 2022 06:33:02 -0000, Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Would love to see you demonstrate this, as I do in these videos:
>>>
>>> https://youtu.be/ulPJmuxQX8s
>>>
>>> And this one where I was responding to someone who just could not
>>> believe these things were possible:
>>>
>>> https://youtu.be/vS9ORbixIt0

>>> Not sure what you find funny.
>>
>> That you think only MacOS does that.
>

> That's not the only reason I found it so funny. I discovered that Wine is
> Snit doesn't even know what a PE is, so he wouldn't get the internal coder
> joke there. If he knew anything about that stuff, he might have gotten it.
> But, alas, nope.

Amazing how you feel the need to compare yourself with me time and time again.
Not sure why I make you feel so insecure... it is not like I brag about my
amazing coding skills or claim to be a hacker like, well, someone I know. :)

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Mac drive letters?

<s2UZJ.150298$iK66.81917@fx46.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7245&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7245

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.macintosh,comp.os.apple,comp.sys.apple,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 05:28:56 GMT
 by: Snit - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 05:28 UTC

<XnsAE61A6F64A22HT1@cF04o3ON7k2lx05.lLC.9r5>:

> Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> news:yegXJ.44388$Wwf9.10634@fx23.iad Sun,
> 13 Mar 2022 06:33:02 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:
>
>> On Mar 12, 2022 at 7:41:12 PM MST, "Gremlin" wrote
>> <XnsAE58DC9BDE132HT1@cF04o3ON7k2lx05.lLC.9r5>:
>>
>>> Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> news:HdwQJ.23926$jxu4.7002@fx02.iad

>>> That's not exclusive to macOS.
>>
>> Would love to see you demonstrate this, as I do in these videos:
>

> Are you incapable of repeating the tests I've described to verify or
> dismiss my results? That's how science works. You know that, right?

I am currently not running Linux... but, really, you also jumped from the
files being edited to executables. I am not sure you even understood what was
being discussed.

>> If you have time to show stuff similar to what I did that would be
>> excellent. Such comparisons are of interest to me.
>
> I don't have the time and lack the interest to make videos when text is
> more than sufficient.

In short: you cannot do on Linux what I show on macOS. Got it.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Mac drive letters?

<BQt2K.606331$oF2.6688@fx10.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7468&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7468

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.macintosh,comp.os.apple,comp.sys.apple,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Brock.Mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2022 03:44:33 GMT
 by: Snit - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 03:44 UTC

Gremlin <nobody@haph.org> wrote:
> Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> news:K0UZJ.195764$f2a5.148082@fx48.iad
> Mon, 21 Mar 2022 05:27:06 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:
>
>> On Mar 20, 2022 at 10:01:33 PM MST, "Gremlin" wrote
>> <XnsAE61A6FE193HT1@cF04o3ON7k2lx05.lLC.9r5>:

>>> That's not the only reason I found it so funny. I discovered that Wine
>>> is loading and treating a PE exe entirely different than Windows treats
>>> them. Snit doesn't even know what a PE is, so he wouldn't get the
>>> internal coder joke there. If he knew anything about that stuff, he
>>> might have gotten it. But, alas, nope.
>>>

>> Amazing how you feel the need to compare yourself with me time and time
>> again. Not sure why I make you feel so insecure... it is not like I brag
>> about my amazing coding skills or claim to be a hacker like, well,
>> someone I know. :)

You ran from this. Predictably.

> *larf* making a comment about your lack of technical skill and knowledge
> is not the same thing as making a comparison of you to someone else. So
> arrogant of you to assume such.

somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Mac drive letters?

<AQt2K.606330$oF2.207339@fx10.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7469&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7469

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.macintosh,comp.os.apple,comp.sys.apple,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Brock.Mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2022 03:44:32 GMT
 by: Snit - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 03:44 UTC

Gremlin <nobody@haph.org> wrote:
> Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> news:V%TZJ.222870$mF2.73096@fx11.iad Mon,
> 21 Mar 2022 05:26:13 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:
>
>> On Mar 20, 2022 at 10:01:34 PM MST, "Gremlin" wrote
>> <XnsAE61A7073C2HT1@cF04o3ON7k2lx05.lLC.9r5>:
>>
>>> Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> news:ymKZJ.96448$yi_7.54083@fx39.iad

>>> So you do think it can't be done under Linux as i've described then?
>>
>> If you can show a way to do these things I would love to see it. Give
>> you a chance to actually talk tech:

You failed.

> Is there a specific reason you're being so evasive with me? I did ask a
> simple question.
>
>>> You
>>> realize, I laid out a repeatable procedure which can be used to check
>>> my results, easily right? No video necessary.
>>
>> Looks like you are speaking of an executable and not the file being
>> edited... but maybe you did not understand what was being talked about.
>>

> I understood perfectly well,

So you’re just trolling. Got it.