A sequel is an admission that you've been reduced to imitating yourself. -- Don Marquis

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Driver who reversed into cyclists before calling them "English bastards" banned from driving

SubjectAuthor
* Driver who reversed into cyclists before calling them "Englishswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Driver who reversed into cyclists before calling them "EnglishSpike
+* Re: Driver who reversed into cyclists before calling them "Englishswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Driver who reversed into cyclists before calling them "EnglishJNugent
|`- Re: Driver who reversed into cyclists before calling them "EnglishSpike
`- Re: Driver who reversed into cyclists before calling them "Englishswldx...@gmail.com

1
Driver who reversed into cyclists before calling them "English bastards" banned from driving

<cfa5ea5a-e7fb-4fe7-95f1-ac7473998237n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6922&group=uk.rec.cycling#6922

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 06:50:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Driver who reversed into cyclists before calling them "English
bastards" banned from driving
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 13:50 UTC

ANOTHER GREAT RESULT -- TYPICAL MOUTHY SCUM DRIVER BANNED. :-)

A driver who deliberately reversed into a group of cyclists before calling them "English bastards" and telling them to "go back to England" has been banned from driving for 15 months.

Gareth Jones was last month convicted of dangerous driving, failure to stop, and racially aggravated harassment by using threatening or abusive words or behaviour, having originally pleaded not guilty to all three charges at Caernarforn Magistrates' Court.

Yesterday, he reappeared back at the Magistrates' Court to be sentenced, receiving a 15-month driving ban, a six-month community order with one condition of a curfew to stay at home between 7pm and 7am, as well as a £155 fine for the racially aggravated harassment.

The 71-year-old must also pay £360 towards costs, a £95 surcharge, and must take an extended driving test before he is allowed to drive again.

Jones represented himself at the sentencing hearing, telling magistrates: "I apologise about this offence. I now realise that I have been found guilty by the court and I have done wrong."

The incident happened on a country road near Beaumaris on Anglesey last July as the group of cyclists rode towards Llandegfan.

Clare Bate, prosecuting, said the group "had to take evasive action to avoid being struck" when Jones overtook them in his Kia Sportage.

One of the riders, Valentin Scambraks, asked the driver, "What the hell are you doing?" To which Jones replied: "You're not Welsh. You're an English bastard."

The driver then reversed into the group, his rear bumper hitting the bike belonging to Mr Scambraks.

Another rider told the court that Jones had said, "Go back to England" to which Mr Scambraks replied: "I'm from the Netherlands, I’m not English."

The second rider, Tiernan Ryan, told the court the motorist "purposefully reversed to try to intimidate us."

Jones, who also represented himself at the trial, said he was met by a "gang" of cyclists "spread out across the road", and denied calling the group "English bastards".

"I might have called him an English snob," he said, before insisting photos taken at the scene by a passing couple were staged and the bike had been pushed into his vehicle as he was being verbally abused by the cyclists. (YEAH RIGHT - SM)

Ahead of his sentencing, Jones' probation officer said that the driver accepts the verdict but maintained in an interview that the group "ganged up" on him. - POOR BABY.

https://road.cc/content/news/english-bastards-driver-gets-driving-ban-291079

Re: Driver who reversed into cyclists before calling them "English bastards" banned from driving

<j9bqarFnm7oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6932&group=uk.rec.cycling#6932

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
bastards" banned from driving
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 15:40:11 +0000
 by: Spike - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 15:40 UTC

On 15/03/2022 13:50, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Ahead of his sentencing, Jones' probation officer said that the driver accepts the verdict but maintained in an interview that the group "ganged up" on him. - POOR BABY.

> https://road.cc/content/news/english-bastards-driver-gets-driving-ban-291079

Ever heard of 'Conspiracy to pervert the course of justice?'

Thought not.

--
Spike

Re: Driver who reversed into cyclists before calling them "English bastards" banned from driving

<b6b38c6f-b599-4c9d-94f4-58ef0b8f297cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6936&group=uk.rec.cycling#6936

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 09:54:55 -0700 (PDT)
bastards" banned from driving
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 16:54 UTC

On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 1:50:01 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> ANOTHER GREAT RESULT -- TYPICAL MOUTHY SCUM DRIVER BANNED. :-)

Simon E | 4728 posts | 45 min ago
0 likes

I'm glad that he will require an extended retest before he can drive (legally) again. That should happen more often.

The Post article states that he "denied dangerous driving and failing to stop after an accident. He also pleaded not guilty to racially aggravated harassment by using threatening or abusive words or behaviour" but was found guilty on all 3 counts.

Fair play to North Wales police and the court for taking the allegations seriously (though would it have been the same if it was only the cyclists' word against his?).

reply quote

OldRidgeback | 3945 posts | 2 hours ago
2 likes

It was a pretty bizarre case but I'm glad he's received a suitable punishment.

reply quote

brooksby | 9129 posts | 2 hours ago
5 likes

Quote:

Jones represented himself at the sentencing hearing, telling magistrates: "I apologise about this offence. I now realise that I have been found guilty by the court and I have done wrong."

Quote:

Ahead of his sentencing, Jones' probation officer said that the driver accepts the verdict but maintained in an interview that the group "ganged up" on him.

So he still doesn't actually believe that he did anything wrong...

reply quote

Secret_squirrel | 1856 posts | 3 hours ago
7 likes

I do wonder if this fine gentleman has any prior convictions.

Sounds charming.

reply quote

nosferatu1001 replied to Secret_squirrel | 131 posts | 3 hours ago
2 likes

15 months is longer than the normal tariff. Maybe the racism added 25% up,fit?

reply quote

Sriracha | 2987 posts | 3 hours ago
5 likes

Quote:

I now realise that I have been found guilty by the court and I have done wrong ... maintained in an interview that the group "ganged up" on him.

Attitudes underlie actions. His realisation that he has "done wrong" is only by logical deduction given that he has been found guilty. It sounds very much like he does not actually accept any wrongdoing, so perhaps he needs a longer period of reflection - until he accepts and owns his wrongdoing - before he can be judged safe to drive again.

> https://road.cc/content/news/english-bastards-driver-gets-driving-ban-291079

Re: Driver who reversed into cyclists before calling them "English bastards" banned from driving

<j9bv8tFoiqrU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6942&group=uk.rec.cycling#6942

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
bastards" banned from driving
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 17:04:29 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 17:04 UTC

QUOTING:

> Attitudes underlie actions. His realisation that he has "done wrong" is only by logical deduction given that he has been found guilty. It sounds very much like he does not actually accept any wrongdoing, so perhaps he needs a longer period of reflection - until he accepts and owns his wrongdoing - before he can be judged safe to fairy-cycle again.

That contributor is talking about Charlie Alliston - yes?

Re: Driver who reversed into cyclists before calling them "English bastards" banned from driving

<j9bv9iFok74U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6943&group=uk.rec.cycling#6943

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
bastards" banned from driving
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 17:04:51 +0000
 by: Spike - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 17:04 UTC

On 15/03/2022 16:54, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Attitudes underlie actions. His realisation that he has "done wrong" is only by logical deduction given that he has been found guilty. It sounds very much like he does not actually accept any wrongdoing, so perhaps he needs a longer period of reflection - until he accepts and owns his wrongdoing - before he can be judged safe to drive again.

Sounds very much like the Charlie Alliston case. Did he have to take an
extended test?

--
Spike

Re: Driver who reversed into cyclists before calling them "English bastards" banned from driving

<6bd02c9c-1cd3-491d-be5f-88c9b6dc88dbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6946&group=uk.rec.cycling#6946

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 10:08:51 -0700 (PDT)
bastards" banned from driving
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 17:08 UTC

On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 1:50:01 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> ANOTHER GREAT RESULT -- TYPICAL MOUTHY SCUM DRIVER BANNED. :-)
swldx...@gmail.com's profile photo
swldx...@gmail.com
4:54 PM (13 minutes ago)