You have been selected for a secret mission.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / New 20mph speed camera will save lives on Old Laira Road, councillors claim

SubjectAuthor
* New 20mph speed camera will save lives on Old Laira Road, councillors claimswldx...@gmail.com
`* Re: New 20mph speed camera will save lives on Old Laira Road,Mike Collins
 +* Re: New 20mph speed camera will save lives on Old Laira Road,Spike
 |`* Re: New 20mph speed camera will save lives on Old Laira Road,Mike Collins
 | +- Re: New 20mph speed camera will save lives on Old Laira Road,Spike
 | +- Re: New 20mph speed camera will save lives on Old Laira Road,JNugent
 | `- Re: New 20mph speed camera will save lives on Old Laira Road,swldx...@gmail.com
 +- Re: New 20mph speed camera will save lives on Old Laira Road,swldx...@gmail.com
 `- Re: New 20mph speed camera will save lives on Old Laira Road,JNugent

1
New 20mph speed camera will save lives on Old Laira Road, councillors claim

<ea8f15a1-990e-44ba-83f2-5dbd9229b108n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6957&group=uk.rec.cycling#6957

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 14:42:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: New 20mph speed camera will save lives on Old Laira Road, councillors claim
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 21:42 UTC

Local councillors have praised residents who have long campaigned for action on a road they say is an accident hotspot.

Last week PlymouthLive revealed that the new average speed cameras - the first in the city to enforce a 20mph limit - were being put in place along Old Laira Road (B3214) in Lipson, with the Laira Narrows 20mph limit extended to include the majority of the road.

New signs have been placed at the junction of Pike Road, stating the 20mph begins earlier than previously imposed.

Plymouth City Council later confirmed that the cameras would be activated next month and were in response to "community concerns over speeding through the area and a history of injury collisions involving vulnerable road users".

They also noted that the area also featured "local shops, a nursery and primary school all very close to or on this busy route."

The camera uses ANPR to identify vehicles and calculate their average speed between different camera locations. The camera is capable of working in all weathers and at vehicles’ maximum speeds.

Efford and Lipson’s three Labour councillors said they campaigned alongside the local community to persuade the council to restart work on traffic calming measures on Old Laira Road.

Work on the scheme to install a 20mph speed camera and a new pedestrian crossing has now begun following a campaign which the councillors said lasted nearly five years.

The councillors said that under the city’s previous Labour council, the scheme was given the go-ahead. However, they claimed that progress had stalled and the scheme was no moving again primarily due to interventions from Efford and Lipson’s Labour councillors and Labour MP Luke Pollard.

Plymouth Sutton and Devonport MP Luke Pollard said: "Labour has been campaigning alongside local residents for improved road safety in Laira for many years.

"Our proposals for a new pedestrian crossing and an enforceable 20mph speed limit along the Laira Narrows has been on the table for over a year and it is great news our combined efforts have forced the council to deliver this paused scheme."

What do you think of the new average speed cameras? Let us know if you think 20mph is the right limit in the comments section below

Councillor Neil Hendy, who represents Efford and Lipson ward, said: "After campaigning for several years to get a traffic safety scheme for our residents, these safety measures are a real win for them.

"The new crossing will save lives and keep residents safe. Speeding traffic is bad for pedestrians, cyclists and causes too many accidents so it is bad for drivers too."

A spokesperson for Plymouth City Council previously stated: "We consulted with residents at the end of last year on extending the existing 20 mph speed limit. They told us they did not want traffic calming measures we had put forward but instead wanted average speed cameras – we listened, redesigned the scheme and secured the extra funding needed.

"Work to finalise the scheme including cameras and signage installation is still ongoing and we are working towards the new limit and the new system being activated in the next few weeks (hopefully the beginning of April)."

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/new-20mph-speed-camera-save-6785190?fbclid=IwAR2gPs4X8-mP3BjPow_uSqRQyX9tYGUBCXSYd1I1hjDo83UAp-SFo3VPhpw

Re: New 20mph speed camera will save lives on Old Laira Road, councillors claim

<0eff3c01-7b5a-45b1-b96a-2082284cf45fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6966&group=uk.rec.cycling#6966

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 03:16:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: New 20mph speed camera will save lives on Old Laira Road,
councillors claim
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 10:16 UTC

On Tuesday, 15 March 2022 at 21:42:28 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> "The new crossing will save lives and keep residents safe. Speeding traffic is bad for pedestrians, cyclists and causes too many accidents so it is bad for drivers too."
>
> A spokesperson for Plymouth City Council previously stated: "We consulted with residents at the end of last year on extending the existing 20 mph speed limit. They told us they did not want traffic calming measures we had put forward but instead wanted average speed cameras – we listened, redesigned the scheme and secured the extra funding needed.
>
> "Work to finalise the scheme including cameras and signage installation is still ongoing and we are working towards the new limit and the new system being activated in the next few weeks (hopefully the beginning of April)."

I assume none of these residents have ever broken a speed limit.

Re: New 20mph speed camera will save lives on Old Laira Road, councillors claim

<j9dsbhF5978U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6967&group=uk.rec.cycling#6967

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
councillors claim
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 10:26:58 +0000
 by: Spike - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 10:26 UTC

On 16/03/2022 10:16, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 March 2022 at 21:42:28 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> Last week PlymouthLive revealed that the new average speed cameras - the first in the city to enforce a 20mph limit - were being put in place along Old Laira Road (B3214) in Lipson, with the Laira Narrows 20mph limit extended to include the majority of the road.

> I assume none of these residents have ever broken a speed limit.

Only on their bicycles, perhaps. And when the new limit comes into
force, perhaps more cyclists will be breaking it. Isn't there someone on
here who boasts of doing so?

--
Spike

Re: New 20mph speed camera will save lives on Old Laira Road, councillors claim

<cc46df62-311a-4dbb-98d5-d039e6f500cfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6972&group=uk.rec.cycling#6972

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 04:35:03 -0700 (PDT)
councillors claim
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 11:35 UTC

On Wednesday, 16 March 2022 at 10:27:00 UTC, Spike wrote:
> On 16/03/2022 10:16, Mike Collins wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 15 March 2022 at 21:42:28 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> >> Last week PlymouthLive revealed that the new average speed cameras - the first in the city to enforce a 20mph limit - were being put in place along Old Laira Road (B3214) in Lipson, with the Laira Narrows 20mph limit extended to include the majority of the road.
> > I assume none of these residents have ever broken a speed limit.
> Only on their bicycles, perhaps. And when the new limit comes into
> force, perhaps more cyclists will be breaking it. Isn't there someone on
> here who boasts of doing so?
>

> --
> Spike

Are you saying none of the residents have ever broken a speed limit? That would be quite unusual. I have no problem with the 10%+2mph rule. Legislative intend was never meant to make speed limits absolute. BTW speed limits only apply to mechanically powered vehicles not paying road users. Autoholics Anonymous was created to let 'law abiding' criminal drivers avoid speed traps.

Re: New 20mph speed camera will save lives on Old Laira Road, councillors claim

<6cd90b86-9b8b-434e-adbb-01d44596abcfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6974&group=uk.rec.cycling#6974

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 04:41:29 -0700 (PDT)
councillors claim
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 11:41 UTC

On Wednesday, March 16, 2022 at 10:16:22 AM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:

> I assume none of these residents have ever broken a speed limit.

We are always assured that drivers never break the law at all.

Re: New 20mph speed camera will save lives on Old Laira Road, councillors claim

<j9e1lbF6791U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6981&group=uk.rec.cycling#6981

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
councillors claim
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 11:57:32 +0000
 by: Spike - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 11:57 UTC

On 16/03/2022 11:35, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Wednesday, 16 March 2022 at 10:27:00 UTC, Spike wrote:
>>> I assume none of these residents have ever broken a speed limit.

>> Only on their bicycles, perhaps. And when the new limit comes into
>> force, perhaps more cyclists will be breaking it. Isn't there someone on
>> here who boasts of doing so?

> Are you saying none of the residents have ever broken a speed limit? That would be quite unusual. I have no problem with the 10%+2mph rule. Legislative intend was never meant to make speed limits absolute. BTW speed limits only apply to mechanically powered vehicles not paying road users. Autoholics Anonymous was created to let 'law abiding' criminal drivers avoid speed traps.

Which planet is that on?

--
Spike

Re: New 20mph speed camera will save lives on Old Laira Road, councillors claim

<j9e3k8F6n0nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6983&group=uk.rec.cycling#6983

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
councillors claim
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 12:31:03 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 12:31 UTC

On 16/03/2022 10:16 am, Mike Collins wrote:

> [...]

>> A spokesperson for Plymouth City Council previously stated: "We consulted with residents at the end of last year on extending the existing 20 mph speed limit. They told us they did not want traffic calming measures we had put forward but instead wanted average speed cameras – we listened, redesigned the scheme and secured the extra funding needed.
>>
>> "Work to finalise the scheme including cameras and signage installation is still ongoing and we are working towards the new limit and the new system being activated in the next few weeks (hopefully the beginning of April)."
>>
>> https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/new-20mph-speed-camera-save-6785190?fbclid=IwAR2gPs4X8-mP3BjPow_uSqRQyX9tYGUBCXSYd1I1hjDo83UAp-SFo3VPhpw
>
> I assume none of these residents have ever broken a speed limit.

No-one can know the answer to that (particularly so as some of the
objectors may not even drive).

Re: New 20mph speed camera will save lives on Old Laira Road, councillors claim

<j9e3pfF6n0nU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6984&group=uk.rec.cycling#6984

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
councillors claim
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 12:33:51 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 12:33 UTC

On 16/03/2022 11:35 am, Mike Collins wrote:

> On Wednesday, 16 March 2022 at 10:27:00 UTC, Spike wrote:

>>> I assume none of these residents have ever broken a speed limit.

>> Only on their bicycles, perhaps. And when the new limit comes into
>> force, perhaps more cyclists will be breaking it. Isn't there someone on
>> here who boasts of doing so?

Yes, there is. Some call him Mad Mason, though I would never be so abrasive.

> Are you saying none of the residents have ever broken a speed limit?

None of which residents?

Are you counting them all?

Even the ones who are (say) 11 years old)?

Or the ones who have never learned to drive (or, perhaps more
importantly, given past boasting here by one particular poster, learned
to ride a fairy-cycle)?

> That would be quite unusual. I have no problem with the 10%+2mph rule. Legislative intend was never meant to make speed limits absolute. BTW speed limits only apply to mechanically powered vehicles not paying road users. Autoholics Anonymous was created to let 'law abiding' criminal drivers avoid speed traps.

Re: New 20mph speed camera will save lives on Old Laira Road, councillors claim

<5af666ce-906c-44eb-921a-8ee0002d3d1dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6995&group=uk.rec.cycling#6995

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 07:28:26 -0700 (PDT)
councillors claim
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 14:28 UTC

On Wednesday, March 16, 2022 at 11:35:04 AM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:
Autoholics Anonymous was created to let 'law abiding' criminal drivers avoid speed traps.

Indeed - all done with a knowing sly salute to the law breaking driver.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / New 20mph speed camera will save lives on Old Laira Road, councillors claim