24 Apr, 2024: Testing a new version of the Overboard here. If you have an issue post about it to rocksolid.nodes.help (I know. Everyone on Usenet has issues)

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: car charger in glovebox

SubjectAuthor
* car charger in gloveboxMax
+* car charger in gloveboxYosemite Sam
|`* car charger in gloveboxMax
| `* car charger in gloveboxClocky
|  `- car charger in gloveboxYosemite Sam
+* car charger in gloveboxMax
|+- car charger in gloveboxYosemite Sam
|+* car charger in gloveboxTrevor Wilson
||`* car charger in gloveboxDaryl
|| `* car charger in gloveboxTrevor Wilson
||  `- car charger in gloveboxClocky
|`* car charger in gloveboxClocky
| `- car charger in gloveboxYosemite Sam
+* car charger in gloveboxSylvia Else
|`* car charger in gloveboxMax
| +- car charger in gloveboxYosemite Sam
| +* car charger in gloveboxSylvia Else
| |+* car charger in gloveboxYosemite Sam
| ||`* car charger in gloveboxMax
| || `* car charger in gloveboxYosemite Sam
| ||  `* car charger in gloveboxTrevor Wilson
| ||   +- car charger in gloveboxMax
| ||   +- car charger in gloveboxClocky
| ||   `* car charger in gloveboxYosemite Sam
| ||    `- car charger in gloveboxYosemite Sam
| |+- car charger in gloveboxMax
| |+* car charger in gloveboxDaryl
| ||`- car charger in gloveboxClocky
| |`- car charger in gloveboxNoddy
| `* car charger in gloveboxTrevor Wilson
|  `- car charger in gloveboxkeithr0
`* car charger in gloveboxPeter Jason
 +- car charger in gloveboxYosemite Sam
 +* car charger in gloveboxNoddy
 |`- car charger in gloveboxPeter Jason
 +- car charger in gloveboxDaryl
 `* car charger in gloveboxSylvia Else
  `- car charger in gloveboxPeter Jason

Pages:12
Re: car charger in glovebox

<slbl6f$ir4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6762&group=aus.cars#6762

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: car charger in glovebox
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 21:45:54 +0800
 by: Clocky - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 13:45 UTC

On 27/10/2021 5:04 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 27/10/2021 5:18 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:

>>> Does it need a power point?
>>>

>> not to use it, only to charge it about once a year, or when it needs
>> it. eg. https://tinyurl.com/5atcrnnp  Very handy item to have in the
>> boot. lead acid battery so no lithium battery issues
>>

> **Lead acid batteries are hopeless for such a task. They suffer
> significant problems, including:
>
> * Mass. Lead acid are MUCH heavier.
> * Size. Lead acid are much larger.
> * Longevity. The lead acid batteries used are cheap, gel-cell types.
> They have an officially rated life of 2 years. Li-Ion batteries last
> MUCH longer.

Not in a hot car they don't, and they are less stable when they are
damaged, be it heat, overcharging or left undercharged.

Re: car charger in glovebox

<slbmnt$tj4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6767&group=aus.cars#6767

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 22:12:16 +0800
 by: Clocky - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 14:12 UTC

On 27/10/2021 9:46 am, Max wrote:
> On 27/10/2021 12:11 pm, Max wrote:
>> Is it a good idea to keep a battery powered car charger like this in
>> the glovebox?
>>
>> https://www.binglee.com.au/products/laser-pb-cj6000-6000mah-emergency-power-bank
>>

>> I remember this was discussed before and I think Sylvia said that the
>> battery of the charger would lose its power before you ever had to use
>> it?
>>
>> Is this true?  Are they a waste of time?
>
> Can anyone comment on this type of charger?  Doesn't look it has a
> battery at all.
>
> https://www.ozcharge.com.au/products/rescue-mate-1000-amp-battery-less-jump-starter

The ones without batteries use super-capacitors that charge up very
quickly and release a large amount of energy over a relatively short
period of time.

Re: car charger in glovebox

<slbn0i$2ch$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6768&group=aus.cars#6768

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 22:16:46 +0800
 by: Clocky - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 14:16 UTC

On 27/10/2021 1:24 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 27/10/2021 4:22 pm, Daryl wrote:

>>> **It uses a honkin' big capacitor. Mine came from Aldi. About $60.00,
>>> as I recall. Works well. Well, it worked well, the first and only
>>> time I've used it. As long as the battery is not completely dead (and
>>> most aren't), it scavenges enough power to start the engine.
>>
>> For $60 its worth keeping in the car just in case, if it doesn't work
>> you are no worse off.
>> I prefer the battery pack because it has other uses besides jump
>> starting cars, you can use it to charge a phone or a laptop if you
>> have no access to power plus they usually have a built in torch.
>>

> **I'm a belt and braces kinda guy. I keep both. They're small and light
> enough to fit into the spare tyre cavity.

I keep a pair of jumper leads in my cars.

I think I've used them 5 times in 10 years, four of those times to get
someone else going.

Re: car charger in glovebox

<t3fjng16jgt2ot8pvb06ps46c3vqlb6hju@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6778&group=aus.cars#6778

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 08:31:59 +1100
 by: Peter Jason - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 21:31 UTC

On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 12:11:21 +1100, Max <max@val.morgan> wrote:

>Is it a good idea to keep a battery powered car charger like this in the
>glovebox?
>
>https://www.binglee.com.au/products/laser-pb-cj6000-6000mah-emergency-power-bank
>
>I remember this was discussed before and I think Sylvia said that the
>battery of the charger would lose its power before you ever had to use it?
>
>Is this true? Are they a waste of time?

Just last weekend I left my headlights on all night and flattened the
battery (completely).

The car manufacturer had neglected to install a warning device to
prevent this.

The RACV guy had one of these small gadgets and jump started the
thing. However it was much larger and about the size of a small shoe
box.

On advice I had to charge the battery overnight to ensure a full
charge.

Since I have survived the ordeal, I offer this advice...

1/ A battery is a consumable; change it every 3 years.
2/ Do an overnight charge every so often, especially in winter.
3/ Ask some who has the 6000mah "Power Bank" as to its value.

Re: car charger in glovebox

<itu2pdF5ge2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6784&group=aus.cars#6784

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 09:39:39 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 22:39 UTC

On 27/10/2021 8:04 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 27/10/2021 5:18 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:

>>> Does it need a power point?
>>>

>> not to use it, only to charge it about once a year, or when it needs
>> it. eg. https://tinyurl.com/5atcrnnp  Very handy item to have in the
>> boot. lead acid battery so no lithium battery issues
>>

> **Lead acid batteries are hopeless for such a task. They suffer
> significant problems, including:
>
> * Mass. Lead acid are MUCH heavier.
> * Size. Lead acid are much larger.
> * Longevity. The lead acid batteries used are cheap, gel-cell types.
> They have an officially rated life of 2 years. Li-Ion batteries last
> MUCH longer.
> * Charge issues. Lead acid batteries cannot be allowed to fall below a
> specific level.

Sure they're bulky, that's a given, but they're safe to leave in the
car, don't need frequent recharging, have USB and 12v cig sockets, a
work light, and will pump up tyres.. and of course start yer car!

> I've owned several lead acid battery types. All were hopeless.

I've had the same one for 15 years and it's not.

--
"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Re: car charger in glovebox

<itu467F5ge2U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6786&group=aus.cars#6786

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 10:03:35 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 23:03 UTC

On 28/10/2021 8:31 am, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 12:11:21 +1100, Max <max@val.morgan> wrote:
>
>> Is it a good idea to keep a battery powered car charger like this in the
>> glovebox?
>>
>> https://www.binglee.com.au/products/laser-pb-cj6000-6000mah-emergency-power-bank
>>
>> I remember this was discussed before and I think Sylvia said that the
>> battery of the charger would lose its power before you ever had to use it?
>>
>> Is this true? Are they a waste of time?
> Just last weekend I left my headlights on all night and flattened the
> battery (completely).
>
> The car manufacturer had neglected to install a warning device to
> prevent this.
>
> The RACV guy had one of these small gadgets and jump started the
> thing. However it was much larger and about the size of a small shoe
> box.
>
> On advice I had to charge the battery overnight to ensure a full
> charge.
>
> Since I have survived the ordeal, I offer this advice...
>
> 1/ A battery is a consumable; change it every 3 years.

only if you like wasting money

> 2/ Do an overnight charge every so often, especially in winter.

not necessary

> 3/ Ask some who has the 6000mah "Power Bank" as to its value.

--
"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Re: car charger in glovebox

<slcr8g$73m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6790&group=aus.cars#6790

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 11:35:25 +1100
 by: Noddy - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 00:35 UTC

On 28/10/2021 8:31 am, Peter Jason wrote:

> On advice I had to charge the battery overnight to ensure a full
> charge.
>
> Since I have survived the ordeal, I offer this advice...
>
> 1/ A battery is a consumable; change it every 3 years.

Absolute bullshit. A car battery is no different to any other automotive
component in that it has a finite life and should be changed when it
needs to be changed. Preemptively changing a battery is a very good way
of throwing money down the toilet.

> 2/ Do an overnight charge every so often, especially in winter.

If your car's charging system is in good order there is absolutely no
reason whatsoever to ever do this.

> 3/ Ask some who has the 6000mah "Power Bank" as to its value.

"Power banks", "jump starters" or whatever you want to call them are no
different to any other tool in that you need to use the appropriate type
for the task at hand. That should be obvious to anyone.

What is *also* obvious to anyone is that you should *not* be giving
people advice as you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: car charger in glovebox

<itu9urF6oe9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6792&group=aus.cars#6792

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 11:42:03 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 00:42 UTC

On 28/10/2021 1:12 am, Clocky wrote:
> On 27/10/2021 9:46 am, Max wrote:
>> On 27/10/2021 12:11 pm, Max wrote:
>>> Is it a good idea to keep a battery powered car charger like this in
>>> the glovebox?
>>>
>>> https://www.binglee.com.au/products/laser-pb-cj6000-6000mah-emergency-power-bank
>>>

>>> I remember this was discussed before and I think Sylvia said that
>>> the battery of the charger would lose its power before you ever had
>>> to use it?
>>>
>>> Is this true?  Are they a waste of time?
>>
>> Can anyone comment on this type of charger?  Doesn't look it has a
>> battery at all.
>>
>> https://www.ozcharge.com.au/products/rescue-mate-1000-amp-battery-less-jump-starter
>>

> The ones without batteries use super-capacitors that charge up very
> quickly and release a large amount of energy over a relatively short
> period of time.

hey Clocky, I just sent  u email

--
"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Re: car charger in glovebox

<fosjng9aujcvhm4a5533v0sua9ne0jrnap@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6793&group=aus.cars#6793

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 11:47:26 +1100
 by: Peter Jason - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 00:47 UTC

On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 11:35:25 +1100, Noddy <me@home.com> wrote:

>On 28/10/2021 8:31 am, Peter Jason wrote:
>

>> On advice I had to charge the battery overnight to ensure a full
>> charge.
>>
>> Since I have survived the ordeal, I offer this advice...
>>
>> 1/ A battery is a consumable; change it every 3 years.
>
>Absolute bullshit. A car battery is no different to any other automotive
>component in that it has a finite life and should be changed when it
>needs to be changed. Preemptively changing a battery is a very good way
>of throwing money down the toilet.
>
>> 2/ Do an overnight charge every so often, especially in winter.
>
>If your car's charging system is in good order there is absolutely no
>reason whatsoever to ever do this.
>
>> 3/ Ask some who has the 6000mah "Power Bank" as to its value.
>
>"Power banks", "jump starters" or whatever you want to call them are no
>different to any other tool in that you need to use the appropriate type
>for the task at hand. That should be obvious to anyone.
>
>What is *also* obvious to anyone is that you should *not* be giving
>people advice as you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

* sulk *

Re: car charger in glovebox

<itus3dF9u1aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6805&group=aus.cars#6805

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 16:51:39 +1100
 by: Daryl - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 05:51 UTC

On 28/10/21 8:31 am, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 12:11:21 +1100, Max <max@val.morgan> wrote:
>
>> Is it a good idea to keep a battery powered car charger like this in the
>> glovebox?
>>
>> https://www.binglee.com.au/products/laser-pb-cj6000-6000mah-emergency-power-bank
>>
>> I remember this was discussed before and I think Sylvia said that the
>> battery of the charger would lose its power before you ever had to use it?
>>
>> Is this true? Are they a waste of time?
>
> Just last weekend I left my headlights on all night and flattened the
> battery (completely).
>
> The car manufacturer had neglected to install a warning device to
> prevent this.
>
> The RACV guy had one of these small gadgets and jump started the
> thing. However it was much larger and about the size of a small shoe
> box.
>
> On advice I had to charge the battery overnight to ensure a full
> charge.
>
> Since I have survived the ordeal, I offer this advice...
>
> 1/ A battery is a consumable; change it every 3 years.

Incorrect and a waste of money.
I've had a battery in a Mercedes last 18yrs and another in a old Holden
V8 last 14.
Most last more than 3yrs.

> 2/ Do an overnight charge every so often, especially in winter.

Only necessary if you don't drive the car often or far enough to keep
the battery charged.

> 3/ Ask some who has the 6000mah "Power Bank" as to its value.

Well worth the money.

--
Daryl

Re: car charger in glovebox

<iu0rt4FlpkbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6817&group=aus.cars#6817

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 11:00:39 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 00:00 UTC

On 28/10/2021 9:39 am, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 27/10/2021 8:04 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> not to use it, only to charge it about once a year, or when it needs
>>> it. eg. https://tinyurl.com/5atcrnnp  Very handy item to have in the
>>> boot. lead acid battery so no lithium battery issues
>>>

>> **Lead acid batteries are hopeless for such a task. They suffer
>> significant problems, including:
>>
>> * Mass. Lead acid are MUCH heavier.
>> * Size. Lead acid are much larger.
>> * Longevity. The lead acid batteries used are cheap, gel-cell types.
>> They have an officially rated life of 2 years. Li-Ion batteries last
>> MUCH longer.
>> * Charge issues. Lead acid batteries cannot be allowed to fall below
>> a specific level.
>

> Sure they're bulky, that's a given, but they're safe to leave in the
> car, don't need frequent recharging, have USB and 12v cig sockets, a
> work light, and will pump up tyres.. and of course start yer car!
>

>> I've owned several lead acid battery types. All were hopeless.
>

> I've had the same one for 15 years and it's not.

how coincidental to be discussing this. big windstorm here in Melbourne
and power off so I used it to recharge the mobile. It's an older model
with no USB port so used the 12v cig socket with an adapter.

--
"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Re: car charger in glovebox

<iubfubFmk8hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6928&group=aus.cars#6928

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 11:44:14 +1100
 by: Sylvia Else - Tue, 2 Nov 2021 00:44 UTC

On 28-Oct-21 8:31 am, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 12:11:21 +1100, Max <max@val.morgan> wrote:
>
>> Is it a good idea to keep a battery powered car charger like this in the
>> glovebox?
>>
>> https://www.binglee.com.au/products/laser-pb-cj6000-6000mah-emergency-power-bank
>>
>> I remember this was discussed before and I think Sylvia said that the
>> battery of the charger would lose its power before you ever had to use it?
>>
>> Is this true? Are they a waste of time?
>
> Just last weekend I left my headlights on all night and flattened the
> battery (completely).
>
> The car manufacturer had neglected to install a warning device to
> prevent this.
>
> The RACV guy had one of these small gadgets and jump started the
> thing. However it was much larger and about the size of a small shoe
> box.
>
> On advice I had to charge the battery overnight to ensure a full
> charge.
>
> Since I have survived the ordeal, I offer this advice...
>
> 1/ A battery is a consumable; change it every 3 years.
> 2/ Do an overnight charge every so often, especially in winter.
> 3/ Ask some who has the 6000mah "Power Bank" as to its value.

https://www.narva.com.au/products/72560bl/--39-headlights-on--39--warning-buzzer---12-volt-85-decibels

Re: car charger in glovebox

<91t3og1pal0nfg41coelsrbusebg5j2anf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6967&group=aus.cars#6967

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 13:41:29 +1100
 by: Peter Jason - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 02:41 UTC

>> charge.
>>
>> Since I have survived the ordeal, I offer this advice...
>>
>> 1/ A battery is a consumable; change it every 3 years.
>> 2/ Do an overnight charge every so often, especially in winter.
>> 3/ Ask some who has the 6000mah "Power Bank" as to its value.
>>

>https://www.narva.com.au/products/72560bl/--39-headlights-on--39--warning-buzzer---12-volt-85-decibels

Thank you, I have ordered one in.
My A7 convertible. The compound curves were a killer.
https://postimg.cc/Lqcp1ZZm