From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Good news: Google Groups ditches links to Usenet
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 14:34:39 +0000
 by: Coffee - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 14:34 UTC

https://www.theregister.com/2023/12/18/google_ends_usenet_links/

Good.

Google neglected to mention most of the Usenet spam emanated from their
own groups.

Re: Good news: Google Groups ditches links to Usenet

<NmYzxrCKyFglFANE@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=69845&group=uk.railway#69845

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 14:51:54 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 14:51 UTC

In message <ulpl9v$3hjp2$1@dont-email.me>, at 14:34:39 on Mon, 18 Dec
2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:
>https://www.theregister.com/2023/12/18/google_ends_usenet_links/
>
>Good.
>
>Google neglected to mention most of the Usenet spam emanated from their
>own groups.

"The search and ads giant added : Much of the content being disseminated via
Usenet today is binary (non-text) file sharing, which Google Groups does not
support, as well as spam."

That was just as true in the mid 90's <sigh>
--
Roland Perry

Re: Good news: Google Groups ditches links to Usenet

<ulpq7f$3iiud$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=69855&group=uk.railway#69855

From: mb...@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 15:58:39 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 15:58 UTC

On 18/12/2023 14:51, Roland Perry wrote:
> "The search and ads giant added : Much of the content being disseminated
> via
> Usenet today is binary (non-text) file sharing, which Google Groups does
> not
> support, as well as spam."
>
> That was just as true in the mid 90's <sigh>

And I would have thought that not difficult to block binary files or
extremely large files.

More likely no money in it for them,

Re: Good news: Google Groups ditches links to Usenet

<lLepaaHQGJglFAKx@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=69872&group=uk.railway#69872

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 18:38:08 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 18:38 UTC

In message <ulpq7f$3iiud$3@dont-email.me>, at 15:58:39 on Mon, 18 Dec
2023, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> remarked:

>> "The search and ads giant added : Much of the content being
>>disseminated via Usenet today is binary (non-text) file sharing,
>>which Google Groups does not support, as well as spam."

>> That was just as true in the mid 90's <sigh>
>
>And I would have thought that not difficult to block binary files or
>extremely large files.

Very very long text files?

Anyway, there's plenty of newsgroups with a "no binaries" charter, and
another solution we employed on our news server back in 1995 was
restrict the number of groups we carries, excluding any with words like
"binaries" or "warez" or slang terms suggesting porn. There's no
universal service obligation (as we know well because Google Groups
stopped carrying uk.railway a few years ago because they had too many
complaints about spam).

We ended up with about 4k groups, from a long-list of around 40k
(nowadays 100k, but lots are probably dormant).
--
Roland Perry