From: jeremy0...@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Apple Pencil v1 with iPad pro 9.7"
Date: 14 Mar 2022 14:44:51 GMT
 by: jeremy - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 14:44 UTC

Hi I recently bought a Remarkable2 (couple of weeks ago) and wanted to compare
it with using an apple pencil (or similar) with my iPad - it's an early "pro"
model.

Popped into the apple store this morning where I spent a good 10 minutes
playing around with the pencil with (in my case) OneNote on my own device.
Seems OK. Though not as "good" for pure note taking (and the pencil 1 doesn't
have an eraser).

My sole purpose is to make notes / ideas - replacing paper. The Remarkable2 is
a good tool but does mean that the notes I make on it are not connected with
the rest of my documentation world (which is MS Office) - whereas if I can use
the iPad for the same purpose then I get the benefit of stuff being in one
place.

Also - the Remarkable does come with a monthly fee after the 1st 100 days for
its cloud-services (sync your notebooks).

Anyone any experience of the 2 devices able to comment?
--
jeremy

Re: Apple Pencil v1 with iPad pro 9.7"

<t0oknv$8c7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7001&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7001

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Apple Pencil v1 with iPad pro 9.7"
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 23:56:46 +0000
 by: Chris - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 23:56 UTC

On 14/03/2022 14:44, jeremy wrote:
> Hi I recently bought a Remarkable2 (couple of weeks ago) and wanted to compare
> it with using an apple pencil (or similar) with my iPad - it's an early "pro"
> model.
>
> Popped into the apple store this morning where I spent a good 10 minutes
> playing around with the pencil with (in my case) OneNote on my own device.
> Seems OK. Though not as "good" for pure note taking (and the pencil 1 doesn't
> have an eraser).
>
> My sole purpose is to make notes / ideas - replacing paper. The Remarkable2 is
> a good tool but does mean that the notes I make on it are not connected with
> the rest of my documentation world (which is MS Office) - whereas if I can use
> the iPad for the same purpose then I get the benefit of stuff being in one
> place.
>
> Also - the Remarkable does come with a monthly fee after the 1st 100 days for
> its cloud-services (sync your notebooks).
>

> Anyone any experience of the 2 devices able to comment?

I don't have Remarkable2, but I did try using LightScribe for almost a
year. It worked mostly and I liked the ability to have paper notes as
well as digital copies. I used it for my regular work note-taking and
filled 2.5 notebooks.

However, syncing with my Mac was very clunky, slow and unreliable. I
could only sync PDF copies of my notes and no handwriting recognition,
which seemed to be one of the strong selling points of it.

With the release of the new iPad (9th gen) at an attractive price I
thought I'd try that with a Gen 1 pencil.

It's great. I only use the standard Notes app which syncs perfectly with
my Mac. The feel of the pencil is really good, not the same as paper,
obviously, but still natural enough that I use it many times a day with
no issues. I haven't and won't go back to the lightscribe. I have all my
notes in one place, which are searchable and easily organised with
tags/folders. I also rigorously date every note in YYYY-MM-DD format so
all notes are sortable - like a paper notebook - and currently have >200
handwritten notes.

From my experience I would avoid non-Apple cloud solution or ones that
you can't easily get your notes out of and the advantage of the iPad is
that not only is it a very decent note-taking device it's also an iPad.

I've also played a bit with Nebo which has a better overall notetaking
capability and handwriting recognition, but I still need to work more
with it around syncing to be completely happy with it.