From: captain....@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Help with Photos & JPEG/RAW on iOS
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 11:40:03 +0000
 by: Mark - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 11:40 UTC

So if I'm shooting RAW+JPEG, then I import photos (via SD card/dongle)
into Files it shows both versions. I can then 'Share' them to Photos,
and both versions are visible (with the RAW versions showing 'RAW' at
the top).

If I import directly into Photos... I get a single photo that says 'RAW
+ JPEG' at the top. If I try to open it in Snapseed it opens in the RAW
editing pane first, so I assume it's the RAW version. But... where is
the JPEG version?

--
Cheers ... Mark

Re: Help with Photos & JPEG/RAW on iOS

<t0lad2$qbv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6950&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6950

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Help with Photos & JPEG/RAW on iOS
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 17:41:52 +0000
 by: Andy Hewitt - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 17:41 UTC

On 13/03/2022 11:40, Mark wrote:
> So if I'm shooting RAW+JPEG, then I import photos (via SD card/dongle)
> into Files it shows both versions. I can then 'Share' them to Photos,
> and both versions are visible (with the RAW versions showing 'RAW' at
> the top).
>
> If I import directly into Photos... I get a single photo that says 'RAW
> + JPEG' at the top. If I try to open it in Snapseed it opens in the RAW
> editing pane first, so I assume it's the RAW version. But... where is
> the JPEG version?

Photos puts the Raw+JPEG together in it's library, and views only one of
them (Lightroom, and probably others, does the same), and treats one of
them as the original (master) image, the JPEG is used in iOS, or the
Raw's built in JPEG preview if you shoot Raw only.

On an iDevice, you don't get any options, it will import the Raw+JPEG
pair, but as I understand it. On the Desktop version of Photos, you
start with the JPEG showing, but you can go the the 'Image' menu, and
select 'Use Raw as Original' - or Vice versa, if you're already viewing
the Raw as the original.

However, if you use a third party app, such as Raw Power (I think
Pixelmator does this too), then you can choose which image file you work
with on an iDevice.

If you want to manage the image files separately, then you have to
import them separately.

A slight side note, just in case you're looking at Lightroom, you can
choose which image is used on import with Lightroom, but it offers no
option to switch them over once they're imported. You have to delete and
reimport again as a workaround.

Personally I shoot Raw only, so never really have to think about this.

--
Andy H

Re: Help with Photos & JPEG/RAW on iOS

<t0lg89$knb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6951&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6951

From: captain....@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 19:21:45 +0000
 by: Mark - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 19:21 UTC

On 2022-03-13 17:41:52 +0000, Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> said:

> On 13/03/2022 11:40, Mark wrote:
>> So if I'm shooting RAW+JPEG, then I import photos (via SD card/dongle)
>> into Files it shows both versions. I can then 'Share' them to Photos,
>> and both versions are visible (with the RAW versions showing 'RAW' at
>> the top).
>>
>> If I import directly into Photos... I get a single photo that says 'RAW
>> + JPEG' at the top. If I try to open it in Snapseed it opens in the RAW
>> editing pane first, so I assume it's the RAW version. But... where is
>> the JPEG version?
>
> Photos puts the Raw+JPEG together in it's library, and views only one
> of them (Lightroom, and probably others, does the same), and treats one
> of them as the original (master) image, the JPEG is used in iOS, or the
> Raw's built in JPEG preview if you shoot Raw only.

I wonder why you get both visible then if you Share from Files to Photos?

> On an iDevice, you don't get any options, it will import the Raw+JPEG
> pair, but as I understand it. On the Desktop version of Photos, you
> start with the JPEG showing, but you can go the the 'Image' menu, and
> select 'Use Raw as Original' - or Vice versa, if you're already viewing
> the Raw as the original.
>
> However, if you use a third party app, such as Raw Power (I think
> Pixelmator does this too), then you can choose which image file you
> work with on an iDevice.

The 'Open' option will show you both you mean? Or you would preset this
in the app first?

> If you want to manage the image files separately, then you have to
> import them separately.

Sorry- import from camera to device, or into the 3rd party app?

> A slight side note, just in case you're looking at Lightroom, you can
> choose which image is used on import with Lightroom, but it offers no
> option to switch them over once they're imported. You have to delete
> and reimport again as a workaround.

I have Affinity Photo (desktop & iOS) but have yet to explore. Snapseed
(and a couple of other iOS apps) have been more than enough so far (and
I much prefer using an iPad to edit).

> Personally I shoot Raw only, so never really have to think about this.

That seems the way to go. That said, I am very tempted by Fuji and it's
seemingly very well-praised in-camera film emulation.

Thanks for the info!

--
Cheers ... Mark

Re: Help with Photos & JPEG/RAW on iOS

<t0lkip$h74$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6953&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6953

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 20:35:36 +0000
 by: Andy Hewitt - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 20:35 UTC

On 13/03/2022 19:21, Mark wrote:
> On 2022-03-13 17:41:52 +0000, Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> said:
>
>> On 13/03/2022 11:40, Mark wrote:
>>> So if I'm shooting RAW+JPEG, then I import photos (via SD
>>> card/dongle) into Files it shows both versions. I can then 'Share'
>>> them to Photos, and both versions are visible (with the RAW versions
>>> showing 'RAW' at the top).
>>>
>>> If I import directly into Photos... I get a single photo that says
>>> 'RAW + JPEG' at the top. If I try to open it in Snapseed it opens in
>>> the RAW editing pane first, so I assume it's the RAW version. But...
>>> where is the JPEG version?
>>
>> Photos puts the Raw+JPEG together in it's library, and views only one
>> of them (Lightroom, and probably others, does the same), and treats
>> one of them as the original (master) image, the JPEG is used in iOS,
>> or the Raw's built in JPEG preview if you shoot Raw only.
>
> I wonder why you get both visible then if you Share from Files to Photos?

That part I can't help with, I've never used that method myself.

I import in one of two ways. Usually, when I'm at home I import from
card onto my iMac, cull the duff ones, then import straight into Photos.
I allow them to sync into the cloud, then I edit using my iPad.

If I'm away from Home, I import into my iPad, using an SD card reader,
straight into Photos. They sync to the iCloud storage if/when I get
Internet connection.

I do copy onto an external HDD as well (standard date based folder
structure). At home I copy again straight from the SD card, if I've been
away, I export unedited originals from Photos.

I've not used the Sharing system to manage my image files.

I decided a long time ago to simplify the workflow, and not start with
the Files based system, where I can end up with a complex workflow. I
prefer to keep everything managed by Photos and my iCloud syncing, and
use third party apps that integrate with this system. It's a very
straight forward workflow.

>> On an iDevice, you don't get any options, it will import the Raw+JPEG
>> pair, but as I understand it. On the Desktop version of Photos, you
>> start with the JPEG showing, but you can go the the 'Image' menu, and
>> select 'Use Raw as Original' - or Vice versa, if you're already
>> viewing the Raw as the original.
>>
>> However, if you use a third party app, such as Raw Power (I think
>> Pixelmator does this too), then you can choose which image file you
>> work with on an iDevice.
>
> The 'Open' option will show you both you mean? Or you would preset this
> in the app first?

Neither. Raw Power and Pixelmator both access the Photos library
directly. With both you can do many of the usual management functions,
such as create folders, albums, add and remove from albums, duplicate
images, and revert to original etc.

In particular with Raw Power, it applies its edits fully
non-destructively, and stores the data within the Photos library (so you
can sync the edits between iPad and Desktop versions). It normally
defaults to editing the original Raw file (nothing else manages this on
the iPad AFAIK). It also allows you the option to switch to editing the
JPEG within the app itself if you prefer.

Pixelmator also works well with the Photos library on the iPad, but does
create very large external non-destructive editing files (like 200GB for
a 28GB Raw file). You can choose to not use non-destructive editing
though, and turn off the feature.

>> If you want to manage the image files separately, then you have to
>> import them separately.
>
> Sorry- import from camera to device, or into the 3rd party app?

Onto the device shouldn't matter, it's the individual apps that device
how they are going to handle the files.

With most apps, if you import a folder full of images, and there are
matching Raw and JPEG versions, they will import them as a Raw+JPEG
pair. You can import them as separate image files, but you'll need to
separate the file types before importing (so you'd import the Raws, and
then the JPEGs in separate import routines).

>> A slight side note, just in case you're looking at Lightroom, you can
>> choose which image is used on import with Lightroom, but it offers no
>> option to switch them over once they're imported. You have to delete
>> and reimport again as a workaround.
>
> I have Affinity Photo (desktop & iOS) but have yet to explore. Snapseed
> (and a couple of other iOS apps) have been more than enough so far (and
> I much prefer using an iPad to edit).

I find Affinity Photo on the iPad a bit of a fudge to work with, when
using with Photos, as it doesn't allow a non-destructive workflow with
the Photos library (it does on the desktop version). You have to use the
Share system here to export and reimport to and from the Photos library,
and end up with duplicate images - and some huge external
non-destructive data files too (which only work within Affinity).

I only use Affinity if I'm on the Desktop, or I need to use it for
something only Affinity can do.

>> Personally I shoot Raw only, so never really have to think about this.
>
> That seems the way to go. That said, I am very tempted by Fuji and it's
> seemingly very well-praised in-camera film emulation.

Yes, they've always been good for OOC JPEGs. I did have a couple of
Fujis (EXR models), but they were poorly supported by MacOS, and I still
preferred shooting Raw only in the end. I know many shoot JPEG only on
the Fujis too.

> Thanks for the info!

You're welcome, I hope it's of some help.

--
Andy H

Re: Help with Photos & JPEG/RAW on iOS

<t0lnir$1rpu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6954&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6954

From: captain....@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 21:26:51 +0000
 by: Mark - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 21:26 UTC

On 2022-03-13 20:35:36 +0000, Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> said:

> [...]
> the Share system here to export and reimport to and from the Photos
> library, and end up with duplicate images - and some huge external
> non-destructive data files too (which only work within Affinity).
>
> I only use Affinity if I'm on the Desktop, or I need to use it for
> something only Affinity can do.
>
>>> Personally I shoot Raw only, so never really have to think about this.
>>
>> That seems the way to go. That said, I am very tempted by Fuji and it's
>> seemingly very well-praised in-camera film emulation.
>
> Yes, they've always been good for OOC JPEGs. I did have a couple of
> Fujis (EXR models), but they were poorly supported by MacOS, and I
> still preferred shooting Raw only in the end. I know many shoot JPEG
> only on the Fujis too.
>
>> Thanks for the info!
>
> You're welcome, I hope it's of some help.

Again, many thanks. Much to investigate over the next few days!
--
Cheers ... Mark

Re: Help with Photos & JPEG/RAW on iOS

<t0noiv$77b$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6983&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6983

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 15:56:14 +0000
 by: Andy Hewitt - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 15:56 UTC

On 13/03/2022 21:26, Mark wrote:
> On 2022-03-13 20:35:36 +0000, Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> said:

>> You're welcome, I hope it's of some help.
>
> Again, many thanks. Much to investigate over the next few days!

Final bit of info for you, this is a handy read:

https://tidbits.com/2019/06/14/the-ins-and-outs-of-non-destructive-editing-in-photos-for-mac-and-ios/

--
Andy H

Re: Help with Photos & JPEG/RAW on iOS

<t0pc9e$16je$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7006&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7006

From: captain....@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 06:38:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 06:38 UTC

Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:
> On 13/03/2022 21:26, Mark wrote:
>> On 2022-03-13 20:35:36 +0000, Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> said:
>
>>> You're welcome, I hope it's of some help.
>>
>> Again, many thanks. Much to investigate over the next few days!
>
> Final bit of info for you, this is a handy read:
>
> https://tidbits.com/2019/06/14/the-ins-and-outs-of-non-destructive-editing-in-photos-for-mac-and-ios/

That’s useful - thanks.

--
Cheers ... Mark