From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Fat-finger hell
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 20:13:44 +0100
 by: Davey - Sun, 8 May 2022 19:13 UTC

system is Ubuntu 18.04LTS. I messed up a file operation, and landed up
with a copy of the Downloads folder inside the displayed Home folder in
my files display. But the original downloads foilder was now empty, so
the folder had in fact moved, with its contents, to a new folder called
also Downloads. I merely wanted to restore the files to their original
location, but the original Downloads folder is now a ghost, all
attempts to access it result in a 'this folder does not exist'
message, but the Files display still shows it, presumably it's a
default tht won't go away. I have renamed the new folder to
Downloads-dup, hoping to delete the original, now empty, folder and
then rename the new one as Downloads, but the ghost of the original
prevents that happening.
Any ideas? It must be possible, I just don't know how!
--
Davey.

Re: Fat-finger hell

<t59g57$o42$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=697&group=uk.comp.os.linux#697

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Fat-finger hell
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 22:27:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Sun, 8 May 2022 22:27 UTC

On Sun, 8 May 2022 20:13:44 +0100, Davey wrote:

> system is Ubuntu 18.04LTS. I messed up a file operation, and landed up
> with a copy of the Downloads folder inside the displayed Home folder in
> my files display. But the original downloads foilder was now empty, so
> the folder had in fact moved, with its contents, to a new folder called
> also Downloads. I merely wanted to restore the files to their original
> location, but the original Downloads folder is now a ghost, all attempts
> to access it result in a 'this folder does not exist' message, but the
> Files display still shows it, presumably it's a default tht won't go
> away. I have renamed the new folder to Downloads-dup, hoping to delete
> the original, now empty, folder and then rename the new one as
> Downloads, but the ghost of the original prevents that happening.
> Any ideas? It must be possible, I just don't know how!

Show us the commands you used to make the mistake? If that was command-
line stuff you should be able to see what you did by looking back through
bash history. If you were using a GUI tool like Thunar then good luck!

If that tells you what you did, make a safety copy of the copied
directory, if its content is valuable, and then 'mv' the directory back
where it came from and see if that now matches your expectations and, if
it does, delete the copy.

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Re: Fat-finger hell

<t59ra2$498$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=698&group=uk.comp.os.linux#698

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 02:38:10 +0100
 by: Davey - Mon, 9 May 2022 01:38 UTC

On Sun, 8 May 2022 22:27:52 -0000 (UTC)
Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> wrote:

> On Sun, 8 May 2022 20:13:44 +0100, Davey wrote:
>
> > system is Ubuntu 18.04LTS. I messed up a file operation, and landed
> > up with a copy of the Downloads folder inside the displayed Home
> > folder in my files display. But the original downloads foilder was
> > now empty, so the folder had in fact moved, with its contents, to a
> > new folder called also Downloads. I merely wanted to restore the
> > files to their original location, but the original Downloads folder
> > is now a ghost, all attempts to access it result in a 'this folder
> > does not exist' message, but the Files display still shows it,
> > presumably it's a default tht won't go away. I have renamed the new
> > folder to Downloads-dup, hoping to delete the original, now empty,
> > folder and then rename the new one as Downloads, but the ghost of
> > the original prevents that happening. Any ideas? It must be
> > possible, I just don't know how!
>
> Show us the commands you used to make the mistake? If that was
> command- line stuff you should be able to see what you did by looking
> back through bash history. If you were using a GUI tool like Thunar
> then good luck!
>
> If that tells you what you did, make a safety copy of the copied
> directory, if its content is valuable, and then 'mv' the directory
> back where it came from and see if that now matches your expectations
> and, if it does, delete the copy.

It was a finger movement over the files display, not a CLI. i'll try
the 'mv' tomorrow, but indications earlier were that it would not allow
this!
Bed-time now, however, but thanks.
--
Davey.

Re: Fat-finger hell

<20220509082500.58a65fdc@devuan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=699&group=uk.comp.os.linux#699

From: gene...@musically.me.uk (Folderol)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 08:25:00 +0100
 by: Folderol - Mon, 9 May 2022 07:25 UTC

On Mon, 9 May 2022 02:38:10 +0100
Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 8 May 2022 22:27:52 -0000 (UTC)
>Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 8 May 2022 20:13:44 +0100, Davey wrote:
>>
>> > system is Ubuntu 18.04LTS. I messed up a file operation, and landed
>> > up with a copy of the Downloads folder inside the displayed Home
>> > folder in my files display. But the original downloads foilder was
>> > now empty, so the folder had in fact moved, with its contents, to a
>> > new folder called also Downloads. I merely wanted to restore the
>> > files to their original location, but the original Downloads folder
>> > is now a ghost, all attempts to access it result in a 'this folder
>> > does not exist' message, but the Files display still shows it,
>> > presumably it's a default tht won't go away. I have renamed the new
>> > folder to Downloads-dup, hoping to delete the original, now empty,
>> > folder and then rename the new one as Downloads, but the ghost of
>> > the original prevents that happening. Any ideas? It must be
>> > possible, I just don't know how!
>>
>> Show us the commands you used to make the mistake? If that was
>> command- line stuff you should be able to see what you did by looking
>> back through bash history. If you were using a GUI tool like Thunar
>> then good luck!
>>
>> If that tells you what you did, make a safety copy of the copied
>> directory, if its content is valuable, and then 'mv' the directory
>> back where it came from and see if that now matches your expectations
>> and, if it does, delete the copy.
>>

>It was a finger movement over the files display, not a CLI. i'll try
>the 'mv' tomorrow, but indications earlier were that it would not allow
>this!
>Bed-time now, however, but thanks.

Have you got a USB drive you can copy the directory too?
That would be a safe thing to do.

--
Basic

Re: Fat-finger hell

<t5ai5r$qi0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=700&group=uk.comp.os.linux#700

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 09:08:27 +0100
 by: Davey - Mon, 9 May 2022 08:08 UTC

On Mon, 9 May 2022 08:25:00 +0100
Folderol <general@musically.me.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 9 May 2022 02:38:10 +0100
> Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 8 May 2022 22:27:52 -0000 (UTC)
> >Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> wrote:

> >> Show us the commands you used to make the mistake? If that was
> >> command- line stuff you should be able to see what you did by
> >> looking back through bash history. If you were using a GUI tool
> >> like Thunar then good luck!
> >>
> >> If that tells you what you did, make a safety copy of the copied
> >> directory, if its content is valuable, and then 'mv' the directory
> >> back where it came from and see if that now matches your
> >> expectations and, if it does, delete the copy.
> >>

> >It was a finger movement over the files display, not a CLI. i'll try
> >the 'mv' tomorrow, but indications earlier were that it would not
> >allow this!
> >Bed-time now, however, but thanks.
>
> Have you got a USB drive you can copy the directory too?
> That would be a safe thing to do.

Good thinking. I have a second SSD in the laptop, for video storage,
I'll copy it to there.
Thanks.
--
Davey.

Re: Fat-finger hell - Update

<t5bb4g$41n$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=701&group=uk.comp.os.linux#701

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Fat-finger hell - Update
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 16:14:24 +0100
 by: Davey - Mon, 9 May 2022 15:14 UTC

On Mon, 9 May 2022 08:25:00 +0100
Folderol <general@musically.me.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 9 May 2022 02:38:10 +0100
> Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 8 May 2022 22:27:52 -0000 (UTC)
> >Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> wrote:

> >> Show us the commands you used to make the mistake? If that was
> >> command- line stuff you should be able to see what you did by
> >> looking back through bash history. If you were using a GUI tool
> >> like Thunar then good luck!
> >>
> >> If that tells you what you did, make a safety copy of the copied
> >> directory, if its content is valuable, and then 'mv' the directory
> >> back where it came from and see if that now matches your
> >> expectations and, if it does, delete the copy.
> >>

> >It was a finger movement over the files display, not a CLI. i'll try
> >the 'mv' tomorrow, but indications earlier were that it would not
> >allow this!
> >Bed-time now, however, but thanks.
>
> Have you got a USB drive you can copy the directory too?
> That would be a safe thing to do.

Last night, I went to bed with the laptop showing a Downloads folder,
that could not be accessed, and a Downloads-dup folder, with everything
from the Downloads folder.
After booting up this morning, the second thing I did was to copy the
Downloads-dup folder to my 2nd SSD, as suggested.
Then, looking at the available folders, I saw that the bad Downloads
folder was now gone. I did a Screenshot, and saved it to the
Downloads-dup folder. Then, really tempting fate, I renamed this folder
to 'Downloads', and it all seems to work. It's a bit like Stephen King's
'Christine', go to sleep damaged, and wake up repaired and ready to go.
--
Davey.

Re: Fat-finger hell - Update

<t5bcni$19u$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=702&group=uk.comp.os.linux#702

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 15:41:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Mon, 9 May 2022 15:41 UTC

On Mon, 9 May 2022 16:14:24 +0100, Davey wrote:

> Last night, I went to bed with the laptop showing a Downloads folder,
> that could not be accessed, and a Downloads-dup folder, with everything
> from the Downloads folder.
> After booting up this morning, the second thing I did was to copy the
> Downloads-dup folder to my 2nd SSD, as suggested.
> Then, looking at the available folders, I saw that the bad Downloads
> folder was now gone. I did a Screenshot, and saved it to the
> Downloads-dup folder. Then, really tempting fate, I renamed this folder
> to 'Downloads', and it all seems to work. It's a bit like Stephen King's
> 'Christine', go to sleep damaged, and wake up repaired and ready to go.

Sounds good so far, but have you any idea why the disk was misbehaving in
the first place. IOW answers to questions like the following may help you
decide it was just a glitch or something more serious:

- how long since the machine was last booted?
how old is it?
how up to date is the software its running?
IOW, could the glitches have corrupted running software, have bad
internal connectors, etc?

- what does fsck say about the state of the disk filing system?

- How old is the disk?
You probably need to have smartd installed to know this.
IME 3.5" and 2.5" disks from reputable makes such as WD and Fujitsu
tend to fail at around 50,000 hours, so any disk older then 40,000 hours
is somewhat suspect depending on how well its been looked after, carted
round, dropped etc.

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org