Who needs friends when you can sit alone in your room and drink?

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / OT: Cheap tablet or summat

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Cheap tablet or summatPaul Carmichael
+* OT: Cheap tablet or summatMike Fleming
|`* OT: Cheap tablet or summatAndy Burns
| `- OT: Cheap tablet or summatwessie
+* OT: Cheap tablet or summatsiwilson
|`* OT: Cheap tablet or summatPete Fisher
| `* OT: Cheap tablet or summatsiwilson
|  `- OT: Cheap tablet or summatPete Fisher
+* OT: Cheap tablet or summatwessie
|`* OT: Cheap tablet or summatStephen Packer
| +* OT: Cheap tablet or summatwessie
| |`* OT: Cheap tablet or summatTurby
| | `* OT: Cheap tablet or summatChamp
| |  +* OT: Cheap tablet or summatChamp
| |  |`- OT: Cheap tablet or summatYTC#1
| |  `- OT: Cheap tablet or summatAndy Burns
| `* OT: Cheap tablet or summatBoots
|  `* OT: Cheap tablet or summatStephen Packer
|   `* OT: Cheap tablet or summatBoots
|    `- OT: Cheap tablet or summatStephen Packer
+* OT: Cheap tablet or summatTurby
|`* OT: Cheap tablet or summatPaul Carmichael
| `- OT: Cheap tablet or summatTurby
`* OT: Cheap tablet or summatcrn
 `* OT: Cheap tablet or summatPete Fisher
  +* OT: Cheap tablet or summatPaul Carmichael
  |`- OT: Cheap tablet or summatTosspot
  `* OT: Cheap tablet or summatAce
   `* OT: Cheap tablet or summatPipl
    `- OT: Cheap tablet or summatAce

Pages:12
OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<pan$b600b$8457d2c4$f644b80a$85102b85@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7011&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7011

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: OT: Cheap tablet or summat
Date: 1 Jan 2022 12:29:37 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 12:29 UTC

I have a solaar power installation. It has a built-in web server.

I currently have the TV web browser on all day so we can see at a glance
the state of charge, performance etc.

The TV doesn't like being on all day.

So I want to have a screen that has a browser.

The obvious choice would be a cheapo tablet that can stand up when
unfolded.

Any recommendations?

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<j3b2fcF9ungU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7012&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7012

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 13:15:23 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 13:15 UTC

On 01/01/2022 12:29, Paul Carmichael wrote:
> I have a solaar power installation. It has a built-in web server.
>
> I currently have the TV web browser on all day so we can see at a glance
> the state of charge, performance etc.
>
> The TV doesn't like being on all day.
>
> So I want to have a screen that has a browser.
>
> The obvious choice would be a cheapo tablet that can stand up when
> unfolded.
>
> Any recommendations?

Any cheapo tablet plus a case that has a prop in it (pretty much all the
flip cover ones, see That Ebay).

One annoyance I've found about the cheapo Huawei tablet I got to use
with my wireless mixer is that it's not possible to install apps to SD
card as it once was, so I've run out of space on it (because I thought
I'd use it for other things as well as controlling the mixer). So if it
will be dedicated to showing the solar state of play, no problems, but
if you might use it for other things, bear that in mind.

Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<j3b3baFa4nfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7013&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7013

From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 13:30:19 +0000
 by: siwilson - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 13:30 UTC

On 01/01/2022 12:29, Paul Carmichael wrote:
> I have a solaar power installation. It has a built-in web server.
>
> I currently have the TV web browser on all day so we can see at a glance
> the state of charge, performance etc.
>
> The TV doesn't like being on all day.
>
> So I want to have a screen that has a browser.
>
> The obvious choice would be a cheapo tablet that can stand up when
> unfolded.
>
> Any recommendations?

Google Nest Hub, then cast a tab to it. Unfort does mean your
computer/phone has to be on as well.

--
/Simon

Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<j3b3kmFa6agU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7014&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7014

From: pet...@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 13:35:19 +0000
 by: Pete Fisher - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 13:35 UTC

On 01/01/2022 13:30, siwilson wrote:
> On 01/01/2022 12:29, Paul Carmichael wrote:
>> I have a solaar power installation. It has a built-in web server.
>>
>> I currently have the TV web browser on all day so we can see at a glance
>> the state of charge, performance etc.
>>
>> The TV doesn't like being on all day.
>>
>> So I want to have a screen that has a browser.
>>
>> The obvious choice would be a cheapo tablet that can stand up when
>> unfolded.
>>
>> Any recommendations?
>>

> Google Nest Hub, then cast a tab to it. Unfort does mean your
> computer/phone has to be on as well.

Very happy with my Fusion5 tablet.In a sort of reverse scenario, I use
it with a Siano TV thing to grab terrestrial TV out of the aether, when
'camping'.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375, Moto Morini 2C/350
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen

Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<j3b514Fae1nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7016&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7016

From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 13:59:01 +0000
 by: siwilson - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 13:59 UTC

On 01/01/2022 13:35, Pete Fisher wrote:
> On 01/01/2022 13:30, siwilson wrote:
>> On 01/01/2022 12:29, Paul Carmichael wrote:
>>> I have a solaar power installation. It has a built-in web server.
>>>
>>> I currently have the TV web browser on all day so we can see at a glance
>>> the state of charge, performance etc.
>>>
>>> The TV doesn't like being on all day.
>>>
>>> So I want to have a screen that has a browser.
>>>
>>> The obvious choice would be a cheapo tablet that can stand up when
>>> unfolded.
>>>
>>> Any recommendations?
>>>

>> Google Nest Hub, then cast a tab to it. Unfort does mean your
>> computer/phone has to be on as well.
>>

> Very happy with my Fusion5 tablet.In a sort of reverse scenario, I use
> it with a Siano TV thing to grab terrestrial TV out of the aether, when
> 'camping'.

<googles> That looks neat. Can't find one for sale though.

--
/Simon

Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<j3b5beFag0aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7017&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7017

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 14:04:30 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 14:04 UTC

Mike Fleming wrote:

> it's not possible to install apps to SD card as it once was

That can depend on how you answered a question it may have asked first when you
insert the new SD card, "adoptable storage" is the magic phrase.

Of course if you answer the other way you can't pop the card out to transfer
files to another device.

Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<j3b6viFaq5dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7018&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7018

From: pet...@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 14:32:19 +0000
 by: Pete Fisher - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 14:32 UTC

On 01/01/2022 13:59, siwilson wrote:
> On 01/01/2022 13:35, Pete Fisher wrote:

>>> Google Nest Hub, then cast a tab to it. Unfort does mean your
>>> computer/phone has to be on as well.
>>>

>> Very happy with my Fusion5 tablet.In a sort of reverse scenario, I use
>> it with a Siano TV thing to grab terrestrial TV out of the aether,
>> when 'camping'.
>>

> <googles> That looks neat. Can't find one for sale though.

Even works in the bottom paddock at Wiscombe.

<Looks at thing>
Actually an 'August' - app is SianoTV.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-Android-TV-Tuner-Smartphones/dp/B016DDPABQ

--
Moto Morini 2C/375, Moto Morini 2C/350
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen
1937 Sunbeam Model 14 250 Sports
"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"

Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<XnsAE129AA91DADCwtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7020&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7020

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 15:12:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 15:12 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote in

> Mike Fleming wrote:
>
>> it's not possible to install apps to SD card as it once was
>
> That can depend on how you answered a question it may have asked first
> when you insert the new SD card, "adoptable storage" is the magic
> phrase.
>
> Of course if you answer the other way you can't pop the card out to
> transfer files to another device.

I tried this when my 4 year old Moto G5 ran out of memory for new apps. I
found that very few apps were configured to reside on an SD card. I bought
a G10 in John Lewis' sale.

Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<XnsAE129E82A20C9wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7022&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7022

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 15:34:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 15:34 UTC

Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com> wrote in news:pan$b600b$8457d2c4
$f644b80a$85102b85@gmail.com:

> I have a solaar power installation. It has a built-in web server.
>
> I currently have the TV web browser on all day so we can see at a glance
> the state of charge, performance etc.
>
> The TV doesn't like being on all day.
>
> So I want to have a screen that has a browser.
>
> The obvious choice would be a cheapo tablet that can stand up when
> unfolded.
>
> Any recommendations?

I have a 10" Huawei tablet & other devices made by Lenovo. These brands
seem to give a good balance of quality v price. A 7" might be okay for your
needs.

There are cheaper brands but I tend to steer clear.

The Huawei has done a number of long trips bouncing around in a topbox and
still works fine. I bought a cheap cover from Ebay, which folds into a
stand.

Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<sqq5bb$o4e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7039&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7039

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 10:08:43 -0800
 by: Turby - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 18:08 UTC

On 1/1/2022 4:29 AM, Paul Carmichael wrote:

> The obvious choice would be a cheapo tablet that can stand up when
> unfolded.
>
> Any recommendations?

IANAE, but my Microsoft Edge has done well for a few years now,
including a few long tours bouncing in my tank bag.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS, ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<pan$530ab$eed494fa$14956906$911fb362@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7044&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7044

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 1 Jan 2022 18:19:35 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 18:19 UTC

El Sat, 01 Jan 2022 10:08:43 -0800, Turby escribió:

> On 1/1/2022 4:29 AM, Paul Carmichael wrote:
>>
>> The obvious choice would be a cheapo tablet that can stand up when
>> unfolded.
>>
>> Any recommendations?
>>

> IANAE, but my Microsoft Edge has done well for a few years now,
> including a few long tours bouncing in my tank bag.

Erm, isn't that software?

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<sqq6rq$240$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7047&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7047

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 10:34:33 -0800
 by: Turby - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 18:34 UTC

On 1/1/2022 10:19 AM, Paul Carmichael wrote:
> El Sat, 01 Jan 2022 10:08:43 -0800, Turby escribió:
>
>> On 1/1/2022 4:29 AM, Paul Carmichael wrote:
>>>
>>> The obvious choice would be a cheapo tablet that can stand up when
>>> unfolded.
>>>
>>> Any recommendations?
>>>

>> IANAE, but my Microsoft Edge has done well for a few years now,
>> including a few long tours bouncing in my tank bag.
>

> Erm, isn't that software?

unh, yeah. So it is. Again, IANAE.

It's a Surface Pro.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS, ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<sqq6v5$3ig$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7048&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7048

From: crn...@nospam.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 18:36:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: crn...@nospam.com - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 18:36 UTC

Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a solaar power installation. It has a built-in web server.
>
> I currently have the TV web browser on all day so we can see at a glance
> the state of charge, performance etc.
>
> The TV doesn't like being on all day.
>
> So I want to have a screen that has a browser.
>
> The obvious choice would be a cheapo tablet that can stand up when
> unfolded.
>
> Any recommendations?

Pi 400

--
http://www.netunix.com/

Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<j3blndFdj4qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7051&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7051

From: pet...@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 18:43:58 +0000
 by: Pete Fisher - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 18:43 UTC

On 01/01/2022 18:36, crn@nospam.com wrote:
> Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a solaar power installation. It has a built-in web server.
>>
>> I currently have the TV web browser on all day so we can see at a glance
>> the state of charge, performance etc.
>>
>> The TV doesn't like being on all day.
>>
>> So I want to have a screen that has a browser.
>>
>> The obvious choice would be a cheapo tablet that can stand up when
>> unfolded.
>>
>> Any recommendations?
>
> Pi 400

Ermm. "Screen".

BTW, good to see you haven't succumbed to you know what.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375, Moto Morini 2C/350
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen
1937 Sunbeam Model 14 250 Sports
"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"

Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<pan$d78eb$e6d9a6$339f1a50$7f8cb381@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7052&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7052

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 1 Jan 2022 19:13:07 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 19:13 UTC

El Sat, 01 Jan 2022 18:43:58 +0000, Pete Fisher escribió:

> On 01/01/2022 18:36, crn@nospam.com wrote:
>> Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have a solaar power installation. It has a built-in web server.
>>>
>>> I currently have the TV web browser on all day so we can see at a
>>> glance the state of charge, performance etc.
>>>
>>> The TV doesn't like being on all day.
>>>
>>> So I want to have a screen that has a browser.
>>>
>>> The obvious choice would be a cheapo tablet that can stand up when
>>> unfolded.
>>>
>>> Any recommendations?
>>
>> Pi 400
>>

> Ermm. "Screen".

I actually have a pi doing not much, but I would have to buy a monitor
and install a browser.

I figured it might be cheaper to buy a tablet that's ready to go. That
way I get to keep the pi for that special project...

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<par2tgtq5hfu5qhtonooam0cvq8371mh2r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7061&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7061

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 10:17:32 +0100
 by: Ace - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 09:17 UTC

On Sat, 1 Jan 2022 18:43:58 +0000, Pete Fisher
<peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On 01/01/2022 18:36, crn@nospam.com wrote:
>>> Any recommendations?
>>
>> Pi 400
>>

>Ermm. "Screen".
>
>BTW, good to see you haven't succumbed to

being able to post any semblence of a relecant answer.

--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<b116f18a-aebe-4b39-aa04-63fff899e3cdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7067&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7067

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 05:59:01 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 13:59 UTC

On Saturday, 1 January 2022 at 15:34:58 UTC, wessie wrote:

> The Huawei has done a number of long trips bouncing around in a topbox and
> still works fine. I bought a cheap cover from Ebay, which folds into a
> stand.

As good as Huawei equipment was, if running Android I'd steer clear of them now.

They've come to a dead end due to US-China politics stopping Huawei having support
from US tech companies, so they don't get access to the patches from Google and are
now running their own OS.

Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<XnsAE13950E0A2EAwtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7068&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7068

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 14:39:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 14:39 UTC

Stephen Packer <stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Saturday, 1 January 2022 at 15:34:58 UTC, wessie wrote:
>
>> The Huawei has done a number of long trips bouncing around in a
>> topbox and still works fine. I bought a cheap cover from Ebay, which
>> folds into a stand.
>
> As good as Huawei equipment was, if running Android I'd steer clear of
> them now.
>
> They've come to a dead end due to US-China politics stopping Huawei
> having support from US tech companies, so they don't get access to the
> patches from Google and are now running their own OS.

my device has Android 7 Nougat from 2016 and would no longer get any
updates if unencumbered by politics, but I get your point. Last security
patch was 2018.

It seems ironic that the US does not feel the same security threat from
Lenovo, despite the latter being an integral part of US Military
infrastructure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenovo#U.S._Marine_network_security_breach

Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<0rp3tgdt4cv0334e9g484mp2qugd09eed1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7072&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7072

From: plusc...@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 17:56:57 +0000
 by: Pipl - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 17:56 UTC

On Sun, 02 Jan 2022 10:17:32 +0100, Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 1 Jan 2022 18:43:58 +0000, Pete Fisher
><peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Pi 400
>>>

>>Ermm. "Screen".
>>
>>BTW, good to see you haven't succumbed to
>
>being able to post any semblence of a relecant answer.

Hmmm.

--

-Pip

Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<sqt068$elo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7075&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7075

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 11:59:04 -0800
 by: Turby - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 19:59 UTC

On 1/2/2022 6:39 AM, wessie wrote:
> Stephen Packer <stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote in
>>
>> As good as Huawei equipment was, if running Android I'd steer clear of
>> them now.
>>
>> They've come to a dead end due to US-China politics stopping Huawei
>> having support from US tech companies, so they don't get access to the
>> patches from Google and are now running their own OS.
>>

> my device has Android 7 Nougat from 2016 and would no longer get any
> updates if unencumbered by politics, but I get your point. Last security
> patch was 2018.
>
> It seems ironic that the US does not feel the same security threat from
> Lenovo, despite the latter being an integral part of US Military
> infrastructure.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenovo#U.S._Marine_network_security_breach >
China is a serious threat, in more ways than one. Intellectual property
theft is rampant, then there's this:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-how-china-used-a-tiny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies

But last night I finally watched The Great Hack. How Cambridge Analytica
got Brexit to pass and Trump elected.
Not sure which is the bigger threat.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS, ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<dlr9ai-cla.ln1@bilbo.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7076&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7076

From: new...@millhouse-communications.co.uk (Boots)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 08:13:01 +0800
 by: Boots - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 00:13 UTC

On 02/01/2022 21:59 Stephen Packer penned these words:
> On Saturday, 1 January 2022 at 15:34:58 UTC, wessie wrote:
>
>> The Huawei has done a number of long trips bouncing around in a topbox and
>> still works fine. I bought a cheap cover from Ebay, which folds into a
>> stand.
>
> As good as Huawei equipment was, if running Android I'd steer clear of them now.

Much as there is a fair bit I like about the mobile I bought a while back P10+
I'd not buy another Huawei. The overheating and shutdowns when used as a satnav
are annoying but it also does it when used a lot for video/camera. Both cameras
now have issues, the front is blurry but usable, no longer good enough for face
recognition, the back the auto focus has packed up[1] and looks like the battery
is on the way out again albeit early signs only so far[2].

> They've come to a dead end due to US-China politics stopping Huawei having support
> from US tech companies, so they don't get access to the patches from Google and are
> now running their own OS.

There's that as well. I've not checked but sure one of my hiking buddies told me
that doesn't apply to their Honor brand, which would be odd.

[1] Seems to be a known problem, give it a sharp tap and it will near focus for
a while but fails again. Given the plague with every place having a QR code to
check-in and extensive use of e-wallets it is a real fag.
[2] Swapped the original out at 2 years and was glibly told by the service
centre, not covered by guarantee and we only expect a year. Done both of L's
Samsung devices recently 8 years for the tablet, 6 for the phone.

--
Ian

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of
the last priest"

Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<fdg5tgtjq0o6eo2guc2c4usru8bgsgcpev@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7079&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7079

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 10:28:27 +0100
 by: Ace - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 09:28 UTC

On Sun, 02 Jan 2022 17:56:57 +0000, Pipl <pluscher@live.co.uk> wrote:

>On Sun, 02 Jan 2022 10:17:32 +0100, Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 1 Jan 2022 18:43:58 +0000, Pete Fisher
>><peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>>Ermm. "Screen".
>>>
>>>BTW, good to see you haven't succumbed to
>>
>>being able to post any semblence of a relecant answer.
>
>Hmmm.

I'm only following the rules.
--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<180b57c0-5a69-42a5-9607-8ecc65514b3fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7087&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7087

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 03:29:53 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 11:29 UTC

On Monday, 3 January 2022 at 00:18:05 UTC, Boots wrote:
<snip>
> There's that as well. I've not checked but sure one of my hiking buddies told me
> that doesn't apply to their Honor brand, which would be odd.

Huawei sold Honor a year or so ago.

Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<sp36tg5f6ifh1oal8j7nfbf0q1mme6dr76@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7095&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7095

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 14:59:32 +0000
 by: Champ - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 14:59 UTC

On Sun, 2 Jan 2022 11:59:04 -0800, Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote:

>China is a serious threat, in more ways than one. Intellectual property
>theft is rampant, then there's this:
>https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-how-china-used-a-tiny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies

I read about the original version of that claim back in 2018, and it
was certainly not proven then
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: OT: Cheap tablet or summat

<js36tgltetbqe13mf3khjg57cgavps1j3g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7096&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7096

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 15:04:17 +0000
 by: Champ - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 15:04 UTC

On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 14:59:32 +0000, Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:

>On Sun, 2 Jan 2022 11:59:04 -0800, Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote:
>
>>China is a serious threat, in more ways than one. Intellectual property
>>theft is rampant, then there's this:
>>https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-how-china-used-a-tiny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies

>I read about the original version of that claim back in 2018, and it
>was certainly not proven then

[sorry, hit send to soon]

It's covered by El Reg here:
https://www.theregister.com/2021/02/12/supermicro_bloomberg_spying/

This article includes a formal rebuttal of the claims by Supermicro,
and the Reg says:
"To date, no one has presented any public evidence these spy chips
exist: no one's pointed at board and told the world, there, that's the
spy chip. And many respected security mavens, including Google's Tavis
Ormandy have expressed deep skepticism of Bloomberg's claims."

....but then goes on to report that some claim multiple governments
have been injecting compromised hardware into supply chains of others
states