When you get your PH.D. will you get able to work at BURGER KING?

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / FROTY

SubjectAuthor
* FROTYChamp
+* FROTYwessie
|`- FROTYTurby
+- FROTYStephen Packer
+- FROTYPete Fisher
+- FROTYMark Roberts
+* FROTYAlan
|`- FROTYAlan
+- FROTYYTC#1
+- FROTYPete
+* FROTYPipl
|+- FROTYYTC#1
|`* FROTYChamp
| `- FROTYPipl
`- FROTYsweller

1
FROTY

<vut0tgpgok0q50g4env0k9kpjmalanji69@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7025&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7025

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: FROTY
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2022 15:51:35 +0000
 by: Champ - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 15:51 UTC

I've managed to re-instate my recently lapsed by long-standing
tradition of riding a motorbike on New Years Day. And, given where I
live now, and the fact that the temperature was around 11 degrees, and
it wasn't raining, I did a full lap of the TT course. The road was
damp in places, but where it wasn't plenty of fun was had.

That's definitely cleared my hangover, and it also fixed the
melancholy mood that I was struggling to shift.

Motorbikes - aren't they brilliant
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: FROTY

<XnsAE12A697DC914wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7027&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7027

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: FROTY
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 16:22:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 16:22 UTC

Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote in news:vut0tgpgok0q50g4env0k9kpjmalanji69@
4ax.com:

> I've managed to re-instate my recently lapsed by long-standing
> tradition of riding a motorbike on New Years Day. And, given where I
> live now, and the fact that the temperature was around 11 degrees, and
> it wasn't raining, I did a full lap of the TT course. The road was
> damp in places, but where it wasn't plenty of fun was had.
>
> That's definitely cleared my hangover, and it also fixed the
> melancholy mood that I was struggling to shift.

I missed my traditional Xmas Day ride as it was pissing down. I did go for
a ride this afternoon after the rain stopped. About the same distance as a
lap of the TT route. 15C in Swindon Village, a chilly 12.5C at Notgrove and
rather blustery. Roads very damp from the earlier rain and quite mucky past
the quarry entrances. Oathill Quarry is well named.

> Motorbikes - aren't they brilliant

Yes, more than can be said of my ageing body.

Re: FROTY

<58e5e3c8-6a48-4a8f-982e-47d059ca22c1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7028&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7028

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 08:25:21 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 16:25 UTC

On Saturday, 1 January 2022 at 15:51:35 UTC, Champ wrote:
> I've managed to re-instate my recently lapsed by long-standing
> tradition of riding a motorbike on New Years Day. And, given where I
> live now, and the fact that the temperature was around 11 degrees, and
> it wasn't raining, I did a full lap of the TT course. The road was
> damp in places, but where it wasn't plenty of fun was had.

I went to the chemists... in 13 or 14 degree damp, overcast, grey
weather.

> That's definitely cleared my hangover, and it also fixed the
> melancholy mood that I was struggling to shift.

No hangover to shift. Melancholy mood's still there.

> Motorbikes - aren't they brilliant

Mostly. My life would be significantly different without them... as
would my body; then again I've done a good-enough job breaking bits
without the use of a motorbike.

Re: FROTY

<j3behpFc7ulU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7029&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7029

From: pet...@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 16:41:30 +0000
 by: Pete Fisher - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 16:41 UTC

On 01/01/2022 15:51, Champ wrote:
> I've managed to re-instate my recently lapsed by long-standing
> tradition of riding a motorbike on New Years Day. And, given where I
> live now, and the fact that the temperature was around 11 degrees, and
> it wasn't raining, I did a full lap of the TT course. The road was
> damp in places, but where it wasn't plenty of fun was had.
>
> That's definitely cleared my hangover, and it also fixed the
> melancholy mood that I was struggling to shift.
>
> Motorbikes - aren't they brilliant

It's grim oop North(west).

A balmy 15 degrees and wan sunlight here. I was going to dig the Sunbeam
out to pobble down to the traditional VMCC NYD 'meet'. Right hip not up
to it though presently. Thought of dragging the Husky out but the
battery is flat and SWMBO prevailed on me to go bungalow hunting in the
MX5. So we called in at the Round Oak in that on the way back, seeing as
it will be 25 years old next year.

I concur with my learned friend's analysis nevertheless.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375, Moto Morini 2C/350
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen

Re: FROTY

<qi21tgl46t21182m6d7dcuqtbdnsmgsu9a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7030&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7030

From: mar...@markr.myzen.co.uk (Mark Roberts)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2022 17:11:24 +0000
 by: Mark Roberts - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 17:11 UTC

On Sat, 01 Jan 2022 15:51:35 +0000, Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:

>I've managed to re-instate my recently lapsed by long-standing
>tradition of riding a motorbike on New Years Day. And, given where I
>live now, and the fact that the temperature was around 11 degrees, and
>it wasn't raining, I did a full lap of the TT course. The road was
>damp in places, but where it wasn't plenty of fun was had.
>
>That's definitely cleared my hangover, and it also fixed the
>melancholy mood that I was struggling to shift.
>
>Motorbikes - aren't they brilliant

They really are. My LROTY was on Wednesday; 78 miles of Welsh dirt on
the 450.
Definitley fixed the blues.
All I managed today was to service the 450 (no oil change as I'd run
out of filters; fixed now) and the chainsaw.
Last Wednesday we had to ride round a wind felled tree so thats
getting sorted tomorrow.
--
Mark Roberts

Re: FROTY

<TYOdndQ0EdyhEk38nZ2dnUU78T-dnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7036&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7036

From: ala...@darkroom.+.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2022 11:28:28 -0600
 by: Alan - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 17:28 UTC

On Sat, 01 Jan 2022 15:51:35 +0000, Champ wrote:

> I've managed to re-instate my recently lapsed by long-standing tradition
> of riding a motorbike on New Years Day. And, given where I live now,
> and the fact that the temperature was around 11 degrees, and it wasn't
> raining, I did a full lap of the TT course. The road was damp in
> places, but where it wasn't plenty of fun was had.
>
> That's definitely cleared my hangover, and it also fixed the melancholy
> mood that I was struggling to shift.
>
> Motorbikes - aren't they brilliant

160 miles here, from the Midlands, a round trip out to the Fens, wild
wind across one of the roads, we were doing 70mph, on a straight road at
an angle of 20 degrees off upright. It made it rather wobbly when a truck
passed the other way.
14 degrees C at 1pm, still wearing armoured jeans and summer gloves. I
did use the heated grips for the last 30 miles.
And, finally,we visited one of the roadside 'American' style diners (OK
Diner on the A1). Expensive, but good service, and really nice, hot,
pancakes.

Re: FROTY

<sqq6f6$240$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7046&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7046

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 10:27:49 -0800
 by: Turby - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 18:27 UTC

On 1/1/2022 8:22 AM, wessie wrote:
> Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote in news:vut0tgpgok0q50g4env0k9kpjmalanji69@
> 4ax.com:
>
>> Motorbikes - aren't they brilliant
>
> Yes, more than can be said of my ageing body.

+1

Did an early ride to the beach this morning, hoping to get in the water.
Air temp was 13C, water temp maybe less than that, so not motivated. My
usual cafe' is closed today (nice liberal owners giving employees a day
of rest,) so I went to their competitor, and was surrounded by
right-wingers. Aaargh.
Can't wait to go for a long ride. Soon.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS, ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: FROTY

<sqqase$ub6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7054&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7054

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 19:43:10 +0000
 by: YTC#1 - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 19:43 UTC

On 01/01/2022 15:51, Champ wrote:
> I've managed to re-instate my recently lapsed by long-standing
> tradition of riding a motorbike on New Years Day. And, given where I
> live now, and the fact that the temperature was around 11 degrees, and
> it wasn't raining, I did a full lap of the TT course. The road was
> damp in places, but where it wasn't plenty of fun was had.

I salute you.

I beleive the last time I did a New Years Day ride was Chile.

> That's definitely cleared my hangover, and it also fixed the
> melancholy mood that I was struggling to shift.
>
> Motorbikes - aren't they brilliant

Yes.

However I ended up on the beach with the grandkids.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Re: FROTY

<2cg1tgp49e9acpkt269fph3tdag8k5em3m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7055&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7055

From: pem...@btmungeinternet.com (Pete)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2022 22:09:16 +0100
 by: Pete - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 21:09 UTC

On Sat, 01 Jan 2022 15:51:35 +0000, Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:

>I've managed to re-instate my recently lapsed by long-standing
>tradition of riding a motorbike on New Years Day. And, given where I
>live now, and the fact that the temperature was around 11 degrees, and
>it wasn't raining, I did a full lap of the TT course. The road was
>damp in places, but where it wasn't plenty of fun was had.
>
>That's definitely cleared my hangover, and it also fixed the
>melancholy mood that I was struggling to shift.
>
>Motorbikes - aren't they brilliant

25C glorious sunshine here and I'm too cautious of the rib to get on
the bike. Sneezing hurts like hell, even just standing up too
quickly, can only imagine what some of the less well-made back roads
here would do, but I will have to man-up a bit and try, if for no
other reason than you would all laugh at the pitiful mileage I managed
last year.

--

Pete
Garage vacancy now filled, N+1 incremented accordingly

Re: FROTY

<h1q3tg5hlrmmsk2sod5cf0dl2f88ie7tii@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7073&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7073

From: plusc...@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 18:07:21 +0000
 by: Pipl - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 18:07 UTC

On Sat, 01 Jan 2022 15:51:35 +0000, Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:

>I've managed to re-instate my recently lapsed by long-standing
>tradition of riding a motorbike on New Years Day. And, given where I
>live now, and the fact that the temperature was around 11 degrees, and
>it wasn't raining, I did a full lap of the TT course. The road was
>damp in places, but where it wasn't plenty of fun was had.

I'd have been bemused if you hadn't!

For me, FROTY was first run of the year. An unremarkable pre-breakfast
slog around the block on New year's Day.

So far, my only motor vehicle use this year was a shakedown run of the
car yesterday afternoon after reassembling the OSR suspension
yesterday morning. So far, nothing has fallen off. Which is pleasing.

--

-Pip

Re: FROTY

<j3fm2lF671cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7078&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7078

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 3 Jan 2022 07:14:29 GMT
 by: sweller - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 07:14 UTC

Champ wrote:

> I did a full lap of the TT course.

I might have to go to the shops today.

--
Simon

Re: FROTY

<squlm0$4mc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7086&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7086

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 11:12:00 +0000
 by: YTC#1 - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 11:12 UTC

On 02/01/2022 18:07, Pipl wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Jan 2022 15:51:35 +0000, Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> I've managed to re-instate my recently lapsed by long-standing
>> tradition of riding a motorbike on New Years Day. And, given where I
>> live now, and the fact that the temperature was around 11 degrees, and
>> it wasn't raining, I did a full lap of the TT course. The road was
>> damp in places, but where it wasn't plenty of fun was had.
>
> I'd have been bemused if you hadn't!
>
> For me, FROTY was first run of the year. An unremarkable pre-breakfast
> slog around the block on New year's Day.
>
> So far, my only motor vehicle use this year was a shakedown run of the
> car yesterday afternoon after reassembling the OSR suspension
> yesterday morning. So far, nothing has fallen off. Which is pleasing.

We took the MX5 out on the 2nd, roof down for a 15 mile drive to the
beach for a swim, at 08:30, if that is any good?

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: FROTY

<oMqdnfUDCsS1mk78nZ2dnUU78RudnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7092&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7092

From: ala...@darkroom.+.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 08:24:40 -0600
 by: Alan - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 14:24 UTC

On Sat, 01 Jan 2022 11:28:28 -0600, Alan wrote:

> 160 miles here, from the Midlands,

Another 115 miles today to the Cotswolds. It was only 4 degrees colder,
at between 9 and 10 C, but I'm feeling distinctly chilly sat here 30
minutes after getting back.
Winter gloves and large padded overtrousers on today.

Re: FROTY

<be46tglec563gpq87v82kpnkst58qhi436@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7098&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7098

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 15:10:22 +0000
 by: Champ - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 15:10 UTC

On Sun, 02 Jan 2022 18:07:21 +0000, Pipl <pluscher@live.co.uk> wrote:

>For me, FROTY was first run of the year.

Recursion: see recursion

--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: FROTY

<ojk9tgdr02absli6fl63a7chufpononpl0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7145&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7145

From: plusc...@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 23:08:35 +0000
 by: Pipl - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 23:08 UTC

On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 15:10:22 +0000, Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:

>On Sun, 02 Jan 2022 18:07:21 +0000, Pipl <pluscher@live.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>For me, FROTY was first run of the year.
>
>Recursion: see recursion

Well, now first *ride*. Noe commute to work this week before the
frosts and the roads get salted, when I'll be taking the car.

--

-Pip