From: ian...@eruvia.org (Ian McCall)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Safari - huge numbers of left-over processes even when no windows open
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 22:34:24 +0000
 by: Ian McCall - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 22:34 UTC

Started seeing random pauses (or so it seemed to me). Looked in Activity
Monitor and noticed hundreds of https://<whatever> processes running, all of
sites I’d visited. It looks to me as if Safari is never killing the thread
for a tab, and when I did spindump it was nowhere near any of the extensions.

Am wondering if this is why all the running out of memory issue people are
seeing so a quick check - could people check to see if they’re seeing the
same thing?

I -do- have extensions, am loathe to disable them even to try because I hate
having cookies and adverts and god knows what. The extensions are:

- Wipr - ad blocker I’ve run for years
- Vinegar - YouTube video intercepter which replaces the video with an HTML 5
<video> tag and a native player.
- Hush (blocks consent for cookies dialogs)
- reddirect - turns reddit.com links into old.reddit.com links
- SmileAllDay - turns amazon.co.uk links into smile.amazon.co.uk links.

All of these I’ve been running for quite some time, and not seen anything
similar.

Cheers,
Ian

Re: Safari - huge numbers of left-over processes even when no windows open

<0001HW.27962C2800586070700007B1938F@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5689&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5689

From: ian...@eruvia.org (Ian McCall)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 22:58:48 +0000
 by: Ian McCall - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 22:58 UTC

On 17 Jan 2022, Ian McCall wrote
(in article<0001HW.2796267000570951700007B1938F@news.individual.net>):

> I -do- have extensions, am loathe to disable them even to try because I hate
> having cookies and adverts and god knows what.
....but I did, as a rubbish test otherwise. Same result - threads are staying
running when you reload the tabs. I have a tab group called ‘Standard’
that opens 8 tabs. If I open it, naturally I get 8 processes in Activity
Monitor. If I then reload the tabs...I have 16 processes in Activity Monitor.
Reload again - 24. Etc., etc..

Only windows with tabs. I also have a YouTube video playing right now in a
window with no other tabs open. That doesn’t show up in Activity Monitor
when.I search on https, and it doesn’t seem to duplicate if reloading
either.

Cheers,
Ian

Re: Safari - huge numbers of left-over processes even when no windows open

<0001HW.27963DF2005C8BE4700007B1938F@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5691&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5691

From: ian...@eruvia.org (Ian McCall)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 00:14:42 +0000
 by: Ian McCall - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 00:14 UTC

On 17 Jan 2022, Ian McCall wrote
(in article<0001HW.27962C2800586070700007B1938F@news.individual.net>):

> On 17 Jan 2022, Ian McCall wrote
> (in article<0001HW.2796267000570951700007B1938F@news.individual.net>):
>
> > I -do- have extensions, am loathe to disable them even to try because I hate
> > having cookies and adverts and god knows what.
> ...but I did, as a rubbish test otherwise. Same result - threads are staying
> running when you reload the tabs. I have a tab group called ‘Standard’
> that opens 8 tabs. If I open it, naturally I get 8 processes in Activity
> Monitor. If I then reload the tabs...I have 16 processes in Activity Monitor.
> Reload again - 24. Etc., etc..
>
> Only windows with tabs. I also have a YouTube video playing right now in a
> window with no other tabs open. That doesn’t show up in Activity Monitor
> when.I search on https, and it doesn’t seem to duplicate if reloading
> either.

Replying to self yep, but got it 100% reproducible.

Launch Safari, open a tab group, look at Activity Monitor and filter by
‘https’. You’ll see processes equal to the number of tabs you just
opened (a couple may take a few seconds to appear).

If you now close the window, those processes will exit. If you do -not- close
the window and reload the tabs instead by hitting the tab group....threads
will stay open, and new ones will be added. This occurs each time you reload
tabs.

Bet you this is what’s really slowing my MBP to a crawl when waking.

Cheers,
Ian

Re: Safari - huge numbers of left-over processes even when no windows open

<0001HW.27E1E30B0040712370000D59C38F@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7039&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7039

From: ian...@eruvia.org (Ian McCall)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 09:19:07 +0000
 by: Ian McCall - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 09:19 UTC

On 18 Jan 2022, Ian McCall wrote
(in article<0001HW.27963DF2005C8BE4700007B1938F@news.individual.net>):

> Replying to self yep, but got it 100% reproducible.
>
> Launch Safari, open a tab group, look at Activity Monitor and filter by
> ‘https’. You’ll see processes equal to the number of tabs you just
> opened (a couple may take a few seconds to appear).
>
> If you now close the window, those processes will exit. If you do -not- close
> the window and reload the tabs instead by hitting the tab group....threads
> will stay open, and new ones will be added. This occurs each time you reload
> tabs.

....and replying to myself again to say this is fixed in macOS 12.3. Behaviour
is still slightly odd, but it’s reasonably predictable.

The steps above were slightly wrong to reproduce it - as well as the above,
you needed to have “Automatically Replace Tabs” selected in the bookmarks
bar in addition to the above. Now the behaviour is that the thread count will
double if you hit the tab button to replace the tabs, but will -only- ever
double. If you hit it again you don’t get three times the original threads,
it sticks at two. Then, after some period I’ve time I’m yet to determine
but seems to be > 5 minutes, one set of those threads will die and you’ll
be left with the correct number of Safari processes for the tabs being shown.

Cheers,
Ian