Subject: Re: Ogling The Brids
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 20:09:25 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 20:09 UTC

> On 2022-01-25, Tone <email@address.com> wrote:
>> Anyone else doing the RSPB Brid Watch this weekend?
>>
>> Having read their destructions several times, it seems they want us to
>> note the maximum number of a type of brid that comes in a flock, within
>> any hour during Friday to Sunday.
>>
>> Given that flocks don't stand still, individual brids might keep coming
>> back, and folks might get the ID wrong, it all seems very faulted to me.
>>
>> I mean, lotsa brids don't come in flocks, and it might not be the same
>> individual brid that keeps coming back anyway, so 'Blackbird one', could
>> be ten out.
>>
>> Luckily my downstairs neighbours are doing it, so I won't need to.

That bit always causes problems.
We take it to mean that the number you write down is the largest number
in sight - at any one moment.
If you count over a period of time, one bird could get reported as 27 as
it pops back & forth to visit a feeder.

That said, I'm sure a lot of counters do this.
(I also wonder how many bald-headed eagles & condors etc. get reported.)

It is noticeable that 70% of our regulars seem to go elsewhere on the
day of the count.

--
Sam Plusnet