## Signoff: insurgent (razzin' frazzin' motherfu... stupid directx...)

aus+uk / uk.comp.os.linux / Re: APC Powerchute

SubjectAuthor
* APC PowerchuteDavey
+- Re: APC PowerchuteAndy Burns
`* Re: APC PowerchuteVincent Coen
 +- Re: APC PowerchuteDavey
 `* Re: APC PowerchuteDavey
  `* Re: APC PowerchuteVincent Coen
   +- Re: APC PowerchuteDavey
   `* Re: APC PowerchuteDavey
    `- Re: APC PowerchuteVincent Coen

1
APC Powerchute

<t58ilm$bv8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=692&group=uk.comp.os.linux#692

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: APC Powerchute
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 15:04:38 +0100
 by: Davey - Sun, 8 May 2022 14:04 UTC

I am trying to communicate with my APC UPS. It has a data port, and
comes with an RJ45-to-USB cable (the first time I have seen one of
them). My laptop runs Ubuntu 18.04LTS.

If I run the laptop and then plug in the AP cable, it doesn't appear
to see it at all, it doesn't show any sign of it, and a command of
'lshw' shows nothing, as does 'lsusb'.
If I boot up with the cable attached, then it defaults into
maintenance mode. The 'lshw' command then shows the APC device
attached, but I don't know how to go further. Any attempt at rebooting
just goes back to the same maintenance mode.

I know I don't know much about this aspect of Command Line Programming,
any help would be much appreciated.

--
Davey.

Re: APC Powerchute

<jdqcjrFssklU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=693&group=uk.comp.os.linux#693

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: APC Powerchute
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 18:23:07 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 8 May 2022 17:23 UTC

Davey wrote:

> I am trying to communicate with my APC UPS.

<https://networkupstools.org>

Re: APC Powerchute

<1652031404@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=694&group=uk.comp.os.linux#694

From: VBC...@gmail.com (Vincent Coen)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 18:36:44 +0100
Sender: "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com>
 by: Vincent Coen - Sun, 8 May 2022 17:36 UTC

Hello Davey!

Sunday May 08 2022 15:04, Davey wrote to All:

> I am trying to communicate with my APC UPS. It has a data port, and
> comes with an RJ45-to-USB cable (the first time I have seen one of
> them). My laptop runs Ubuntu 18.04LTS.

> If I run the laptop and then plug in the AP cable, it doesn't appear
> to see it at all, it doesn't show any sign of it, and a command of
> 'lshw' shows nothing, as does 'lsusb'.
> If I boot up with the cable attached, then it defaults into
> maintenance mode. The 'lshw' command then shows the APC device
> attached, but I don't know how to go further. Any attempt at rebooting
> just goes back to the same maintenance mode.

> I know I don't know much about this aspect of Command Line
> Programming, any help would be much appreciated.

I use APC UPS's unit too and have done for many year but I gave up on their
software a very long time ago after switching to Linux.

I recommend using apcupsd which on my system (Mageia v8) is 3.14.14-3.

If your distro does not have it or is very old try :

http://www.apcupsd.org and current version IS 3.14.14.

If you need help with the configs I can post mine as used on a Smart UPS
(cabled via usb).

Vincent

Re: APC Powerchute

<t592c8$g7i$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=695&group=uk.comp.os.linux#695

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 19:32:39 +0100
 by: Davey - Sun, 8 May 2022 18:32 UTC

On Sun, 08 May 2022 18:36:44 +0100
"Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Davey!
>
> Sunday May 08 2022 15:04, Davey wrote to All:
>
> > I am trying to communicate with my APC UPS. It has a data port, and
> > comes with an RJ45-to-USB cable (the first time I have seen one of
> > them). My laptop runs Ubuntu 18.04LTS.
>
> > If I run the laptop and then plug in the AP cable, it doesn't
> > appear to see it at all, it doesn't show any sign of it, and a
> > command of 'lshw' shows nothing, as does 'lsusb'.
> > If I boot up with the cable attached, then it defaults into
> > maintenance mode. The 'lshw' command then shows the APC device
> > attached, but I don't know how to go further. Any attempt at
> > rebooting just goes back to the same maintenance mode.
>
> > I know I don't know much about this aspect of Command Line
> > Programming, any help would be much appreciated.
>
> I use APC UPS's unit too and have done for many year but I gave up on
> their software a very long time ago after switching to Linux.
>
> I recommend using apcupsd which on my system (Mageia v8) is 3.14.14-3.
>
> If your distro does not have it or is very old try :
>
> http://www.apcupsd.org and current version IS 3.14.14.
>
> If you need help with the configs I can post mine as used on a Smart
> UPS (cabled via usb).
>

> Vincent

Thanks, Vince and Andy, both. I'll follow both up and see where they
lead.
--
Davey.

Re: APC Powerchute

<t5g3bo$rvf$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=703&group=uk.comp.os.linux#703

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 11:32:24 +0100
 by: Davey - Wed, 11 May 2022 10:32 UTC

On Sun, 08 May 2022 18:36:44 +0100
"Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Davey!
>
> Sunday May 08 2022 15:04, Davey wrote to All:
>
> > I am trying to communicate with my APC UPS. It has a data port, and
> > comes with an RJ45-to-USB cable (the first time I have seen one of
> > them). My laptop runs Ubuntu 18.04LTS.
>
> > If I run the laptop and then plug in the AP cable, it doesn't
> > appear to see it at all, it doesn't show any sign of it, and a
> > command of 'lshw' shows nothing, as does 'lsusb'.
> > If I boot up with the cable attached, then it defaults into
> > maintenance mode. The 'lshw' command then shows the APC device
> > attached, but I don't know how to go further. Any attempt at
> > rebooting just goes back to the same maintenance mode.
>
> > I know I don't know much about this aspect of Command Line
> > Programming, any help would be much appreciated.
>
> I use APC UPS's unit too and have done for many year but I gave up on
> their software a very long time ago after switching to Linux.
>
> I recommend using apcupsd which on my system (Mageia v8) is 3.14.14-3.
>
> If your distro does not have it or is very old try :
>
> http://www.apcupsd.org and current version IS 3.14.14.
>
> If you need help with the configs I can post mine as used on a Smart
> UPS (cabled via usb).
>

> Vincent

I have installed apcupsd, and it seems to run, but I am having trouble
still getting the communication working. More later, after I can get
back to it and try again.
I'm using :
http://www.apcupsd.org/manual/manual.html#choosing-a-configuration-type
as my guide.
--
Davey.

Re: APC Powerchute

<1652274200@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=704&group=uk.comp.os.linux#704

From: VBC...@gmail.com (Vincent Coen)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 14:03:20 +0100
Sender: "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com>
 by: Vincent Coen - Wed, 11 May 2022 13:03 UTC

Hello Davey!

Wednesday May 11 2022 11:32, Davey wrote to All:

>> > I know I don't know much about this aspect of Command Line
>> > Programming, any help would be much appreciated.
>>
>> I use APC UPS's unit too and have done for many year but I gave up
>> on their software a very long time ago after switching to Linux.
>>
>> I recommend using apcupsd which on my system (Mageia v8) is
>> 3.14.14-3.
>>
>> If your distro does not have it or is very old try :
>>
>> http://www.apcupsd.org and current version IS 3.14.14.
>>
>> If you need help with the configs I can post mine as used on a Smart
>> UPS (cabled via usb).
>>

> I have installed apcupsd, and it seems to run, but I am having trouble
> still getting the communication working. More later, after I can get
> back to it and try again.
> I'm using :
> http://www.apcupsd.org/manual/manual.html#choosing-a-configuration-typ
> e as my guide.

The first consideration is what comms link does the ups have - all the
one's used her use USB when used with SMART UPS's so the comms is straight
forward so here is the contents from my main conf files but FIRST change
the file 'changeme' : i.e., on mine its :

first few lines on that need changes and note I use Linux so if you use
Windows it may need to be different :

--
SYSADMIN=vince
APCUPSD_MAIL="mail"

HOSTNAME=`study.applewood`
--

For apcupsd.conf again the important bits:

--
UPSNAME SMT1000i <<<< change for your model
UPSCABLE 940-0625A <<<< USB cable

ONBATTERYDELAY 10
BATTERYLEVEL 25
MINUTES 15
TIMEOUT 0
ANNOY 300
ANNOYDELAY 180
NOLOGON disable
KILLDELAY 0

--

There are more for this file and if you want the lot just say so.

There are other files / scripts that I have changed but regardless when you
are happy, run the test prog, apctest this is a interactive program and
will validate your changes.

Vincent

Re: APC Powerchute

<t5go4s$2mg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=705&group=uk.comp.os.linux#705

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 17:27:06 +0100
 by: Davey - Wed, 11 May 2022 16:27 UTC

On Wed, 11 May 2022 14:03:20 +0100
"Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I use APC UPS's unit too and have done for many year but I gave up
> >> on their software a very long time ago after switching to Linux.
> >>
> >> I recommend using apcupsd which on my system (Mageia v8) is
> >> 3.14.14-3.
> >>
> >> If your distro does not have it or is very old try :
> >>
> >> http://www.apcupsd.org and current version IS 3.14.14.
> >>
> >> If you need help with the configs I can post mine as used on a
> >> Smart UPS (cabled via usb).
> >>

> > I have installed apcupsd, and it seems to run, but I am having
> > trouble still getting the communication working. More later, after
> > I can get back to it and try again.
> > I'm using :
> > http://www.apcupsd.org/manual/manual.html#choosing-a-configuration-typ
> > e as my guide.
>
> The first consideration is what comms link does the ups have - all the
> one's used her use USB when used with SMART UPS's so the comms is
> straight forward so here is the contents from my main conf files but
> FIRST change the file 'changeme' : i.e., on mine its :
>
> first few lines on that need changes and note I use Linux so if you
> use Windows it may need to be different :

Briefly, I use Ubuntu, so that is at least one thing less to worry
about.
I'll take your file and see what I need to do with it. More later, many
thanks.
--
Davey.

Re: APC Powerchute

<t5o3k6$d0e$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=706&group=uk.comp.os.linux#706

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 12:25:57 +0100
 by: Davey - Sat, 14 May 2022 11:25 UTC

On Wed, 11 May 2022 14:03:20 +0100
"Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I use APC UPS's unit too and have done for many year but I gave up
> >> on their software a very long time ago after switching to Linux.
> >>
> >> I recommend using apcupsd which on my system (Mageia v8) is
> >> 3.14.14-3.
> >>
> >> If your distro does not have it or is very old try :
> >>
> >> http://www.apcupsd.org and current version IS 3.14.14.
> >>
> >> If you need help with the configs I can post mine as used on a
> >> Smart UPS (cabled via usb).
> >>

> > I have installed apcupsd, and it seems to run, but I am having
> > trouble still getting the communication working. More later, after
> > I can get back to it and try again.
> > I'm using :
> > http://www.apcupsd.org/manual/manual.html#choosing-a-configuration-typ
> > e as my guide.
>
> The first consideration is what comms link does the ups have - all the
> one's used her use USB when used with SMART UPS's so the comms is
> straight forward so here is the contents from my main conf files but
> FIRST change the file 'changeme' : i.e., on mine its :
>
> first few lines on that need changes and note I use Linux so if you
> use Windows it may need to be different :

Vince,
Well, I have edited the two files referenced to match your settings as
far as I can see, with changes for my unit, of course. Any other
settings that might be effective would be appreciated. I haven't
connected up to the UPS again yet, I'll wait until I think I am ready.
Thanks for your help.

--
Davey.

Re: APC Powerchute

<1652621222@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=707&group=uk.comp.os.linux#707

From: VBC...@gmail.com (Vincent Coen)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 14:27:02 +0100
Sender: "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com>
 by: Vincent Coen - Sun, 15 May 2022 13:27 UTC

Hello Davey!

Saturday May 14 2022 12:25, Davey wrote to All:

> <1652274200@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>
> "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com> wrote:

>> up

>> > I have installed apcupsd, and it seems to run, but I am having
>> > trouble still getting the communication working. More later,
>> after
>> > I can get back to it and try again.
>> > I'm using :
>> >
>> http://www.apcupsd.org/manual/manual.html#choosing-a-configuration-t
>> yp
>> > e as my guide.
>>
>> The first consideration is what comms link does the ups have - all
>> the one's used her use USB when used with SMART UPS's so the comms
>> is straight forward so here is the contents from my main conf files
>> but FIRST change the file 'changeme' : i.e., on mine its : first
>> few lines on that need changes and note I use Linux so if you use
>> Windows it may need to be different :

> Vince,
> Well, I have edited the two files referenced to match your settings as
> far as I can see, with changes for my unit, of course. Any other
> settings that might be effective would be appreciated. I haven't
> connected up to the UPS again yet, I'll wait until I think I am ready.
> Thanks for your help.

If you email me with yours I will archive my changed config files and send
them to you - You will need to read and if needed change each to match your
hardware (UPS).

Vincent