Really?? What a coincidence, I'm shallow too!!

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / WATCH: Cyclist's close call with taxi on busy city road

SubjectAuthor
* WATCH: Cyclist's close call with taxi on busy city roadswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: WATCH: Fairy-cyclist's close call with taxi on busy city roadJNugent
+* Re: WATCH: Cyclist's close call with taxi on busy city roadswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: WATCH: Cyclist's close call with taxi on busy city roadSpike
`* Re: WATCH: Cyclist's close call with taxi on busy city roadswldx...@gmail.com
 +- Re: WATCH: Cyclist's close call with taxi on busy city roadSpike
 `- Re: WATCH: Cyclist's close call with taxi on busy city roadswldx...@gmail.com

1
WATCH: Cyclist's close call with taxi on busy city road

<74df855c-b38d-4454-bd6c-d25361fba9a0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7078&group=uk.rec.cycling#7078

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 07:48:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: WATCH: Cyclist's close call with taxi on busy city road
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 14:48 UTC

Apology given.

A taxi firm has apologised to a shaken cyclist following an incident during rush hour this week.

Cathie Sloman, a laboratory assistant at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital (NNUH), was cycling to work along Newmarket Road when a taxi sped past her on March 16.

However the Lakenham woman said the driver didn't give the correct amount of room, 1.5 metres, when passing.

She believes this was due to cars driving close by in the opposite direction.

She said: "I felt the car come past me.

"It was so close and it's quite terrifying when that happens.

"It shook me up. It's not something I get used to as each time it happens I think 'One false move and that could be it for me.'"
Cathie waved her arm to the driver of the taxi as they drove past in the hopes they would give her more room.

The driver's company - ABC Taxis - has apologised to Cathie and has spoken to the driver in question.

Cathie, 47, said she often gets scared like this on her way to work.

She said: "Unfortunately it's not uncommon to have this happen while cycling.

"I've had a bus also come dangerously close to me before.
Cathie Sloman cycles to work everyday, to her job at the NHS, as a laboratory assistant.

"Cyclists are so vulnerable and all I'm looking to do is get to work safely - I don't have any other options for travel."

She added she wouldn't want to "tar every taxi driver with the same brush" after the incident, adding: "I'm sure that there are excellent taxi drivers out there and that this is likely just the minority who make cyclists feel unsafe.
The footage shows the Norwich taxi driver overtake Cathie Sloman in Newmarket Road

"I just feel dangerous driving like this should be looked at so that one or two people don't potentially ruin their reputation."

Chris Harvey, marketing and driver manager at ABC Taxis, said: "Watching the video, I'm sorry to see this and the driver has clearly made an error in judgement when making this manoeuvre.

"We do take this very seriously at ABC and will be speaking with the driver in question regarding his conduct.

"I would like to apologise to the cyclist - everyone makes mistakes and it appears on this occasion the driver thought there was more room to overtake than there actually was."

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/cyclists-close-call-with-abc-taxi-norwich-8764830

Re: WATCH: Fairy-cyclist's close call with taxi on busy city road

<j9jlpgF1c5bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7079&group=uk.rec.cycling#7079

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: WATCH: Fairy-cyclist's close call with taxi on busy city road
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 15:11:44 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 15:11 UTC

> Apology given.
>
> A taxi firm has apologised to a shaken fairy-cyclist following an incident during rush hour this week.
>
> Cathie Sloman, a laboratory assistant at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital (NNUH), was fairy-cycling to work along Newmarket Road when a taxi sped past her on March 16.

It isn't a taxi.

> However the Lakenham woman said the driver didn't give the correct amount of room, 1.5 metres, when passing.
>
> She believes this was due to cars driving close by in the opposite direction.
>
> She said: "I felt the car come past me.
>
> "It was so close and it's quite terrifying when that happens.
>
> "It shook me up. It's not something I get used to as each time it happens I think 'One false move and that could be it for me.'"
> Cathie waved her arm to the driver of the taxi as they drove past in the hopes they would give her more room.
>
> The driver's company - ABC Taxis - has apologised to Cathie and has spoken to the driver in question.
>
> Cathie, 47, said she often gets scared like this on her way to work.
>
> She said: "Unfortunately it's not uncommon to have this happen while fairy-cycling.
>
> "I've had a bus also come dangerously close to me before.
> Cathie Sloman fairy-cycles to work everyday, to her job at the NHS, as a laboratory assistant.
>
> "Fairy-cyclists are so vulnerable and all I'm looking to do is get to work safely - I don't have any other options for travel."
>
> She added she wouldn't want to "tar every taxi driver with the same brush" after the incident, adding: "I'm sure that there are excellent taxi drivers out there and that this is likely just the minority who make cyclists feel unsafe.
> The footage shows the Norwich taxi driver overtake Cathie Sloman in Newmarket Road

That one wasn't driving a taxi.

> "I just feel dangerous driving like this should be looked at so that one or two people don't potentially ruin their reputation."
>
> Chris Harvey, marketing and driver manager at ABC Taxis, said: "Watching the video, I'm sorry to see this and the driver has clearly made an error in judgement when making this manoeuvre.
>
> "We do take this very seriously at ABC and will be speaking with the driver in question regarding his conduct.
>
> "I would like to apologise to the fairy-cyclist - everyone makes mistakes and it appears on this occasion the driver thought there was more room to overtake than there actually was."
>
> https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/cyclists-close-call-with-abc-taxi-norwich-8764830

Re: WATCH: Cyclist's close call with taxi on busy city road

<2b93d6ef-a574-4524-8823-f7cd526d614dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7081&group=uk.rec.cycling#7081

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 10:04:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 17:04 UTC

On Friday, March 18, 2022 at 2:48:34 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Apology given.
Cute comment.

"(Edited)
But cyclists don't pay road tax or have number plates or insurance and jump red lights, should be on the non existent cycle path, be draped in hi viz and helmets etc etc. What about the poor driver having his livelihood threatened just because he could have killed someone through his impatience and incompetence.""

Re: WATCH: Cyclist's close call with taxi on busy city road

<j9lkjgFcsu0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7088&group=uk.rec.cycling#7088

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 09:03:45 +0000
 by: Spike - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 09:03 UTC

On 18/03/2022 17:04, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, March 18, 2022 at 2:48:34 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Apology given.

> Cute comment.

> "(Edited)

> But cyclists don't pay road tax or have number plates or insurance and jump red lights, should be on the non existent cycle path, be draped in hi viz and helmets etc etc. What about the poor driver having his livelihood threatened just because he could have killed someone through his .""

It could be worse - cyclists kill people because cyclists are impatient
and incompetent, arrogant, and believe they are entitled above all
others. At least the driver has a job.

--
Spike

Re: WATCH: Cyclist's close call with taxi on busy city road

<f11ea3da-24b7-4f40-a3f4-443f19d8d32en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7093&group=uk.rec.cycling#7093

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 04:12:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 11:12 UTC

On Friday, March 18, 2022 at 2:48:34 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Apology given.
> "We do take this very seriously at ABC and will be speaking with the driver in question regarding his conduct.
>
> "I would like to apologise to the cyclist - everyone makes mistakes and it appears on this occasion the driver thought there was more room to overtake than there actually was."

(APPLAUSE) - THAT'S HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE.

Re: WATCH: Cyclist's close call with taxi on busy city road

<j9mfm7Fhv8sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7115&group=uk.rec.cycling#7115

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 16:46:01 +0000
 by: Spike - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 16:46 UTC

On 19/03/2022 11:12, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, March 18, 2022 at 2:48:34 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Apology given.

>> "We do take this very seriously at ABC and will be speaking with the driver in question regarding his conduct.

>> "I would like to apologise to the cyclist - everyone makes mistakes and it appears on this occasion the driver thought there was more room to overtake than there actually was."

> (APPLAUSE) - THAT'S HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE.

In real life it's polite form of FOAD.

--
Spike

Re: WATCH: Cyclist's close call with taxi on busy city road

<069c45c7-7002-425f-b164-3498091b09e1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7124&group=uk.rec.cycling#7124

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 10:11:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 17:11 UTC

On Saturday, March 19, 2022 at 11:12:24 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, March 18, 2022 at 2:48:34 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Apology given.
> > "We do take this very seriously at ABC and will be speaking with the driver in question regarding his conduct.
> >
> > "I would like to apologise to the cyclist - everyone makes mistakes and it appears on this occasion the driver thought there was more room to overtake than there actually was."
> (APPLAUSE) - THAT'S HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE.

QUOTE:
Private hire cabbies in Norwich think speed limits are the minimum speed they must drive at. Professional they are not.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / WATCH: Cyclist's close call with taxi on busy city road