In order to live free and happily, you must sacrifice boredom. It is not always an easy sacrifice.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / OT: Not DIY - dry ridge

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Not DIY - dry ridgeThe Hanging Baskets of Babylon
+- Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridgeJohn Rumm
+* Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridgeTricky Dicky
|`* Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridgeJohn Rumm
| `- Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridgeAndrew
+- Re: Not DIY - dry ridgeBrian Gaff
+* Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridgeJim GM4DHJ ...
|`- Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridgeJim Stewart ...
+* Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridgeAndrew
|+- Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridgeCursitor Doom
|+* Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridgealan_m
||+- Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridgefred
||`- Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridgeBrian D
|`- Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridgewrights...@f2s.com
`- Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridgeDave Plowman (News)

1
OT: Not DIY - dry ridge

<tgv745$3ild$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=70858&group=uk.d-i-y#70858

From: no...@way.com (The Hanging Baskets of Babylon)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: OT: Not DIY - dry ridge
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 17:07:32 +0100
 by: The Hanging Baskets - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 16:07 UTC

Certainly not DIY for me - I don't like ladders :-) It's coming up to
that time of year when I start to worry about our ridge tiles (more
specifically, one landing on someone's head). I was wondering if it is
worth getting someone to put a dry ridge up there? Has anyone here had
one fitted? I believe they are fitted to new-builds now.

Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridge

<tgvgar$4c8a$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=70877&group=uk.d-i-y#70877

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridge
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 19:44:43 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 18:44 UTC

On 27/09/2022 17:07, The Hanging Baskets of Babylon wrote:

> Certainly not DIY for me - I don't like ladders :-)  It's coming up to
> that time of year when I start to worry about our ridge tiles (more
> specifically, one landing on someone's head).  I was wondering if it is
> worth getting someone to put a dry ridge up there?  Has anyone here had
> one fitted?  I believe they are fitted to new-builds now.

They are often used on new builds - quicker to install. Not sure I would
bother retrofitting since you would need to remove all the existing
ones, and break out the bedding mortar they are on.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridge

<tgvqal$58mo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=70906&group=uk.d-i-y#70906

From: tricky.d...@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 21:35:17 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:PRFosRoZuplQ4I22mI1IOvbI3gU=
 by: Tricky Dicky - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 21:35 UTC

The Hanging Baskets of Babylon <no@way.com> wrote:
> Certainly not DIY for me - I don't like ladders :-) It's coming up to
> that time of year when I start to worry about our ridge tiles (more
> specifically, one landing on someone's head). I was wondering if it is
> worth getting someone to put a dry ridge up there? Has anyone here had
> one fitted? I believe they are fitted to new-builds now.

We had one fitted when we replaced the roof two years ago, no problems so
far. One thing I think you might consider is also fitting a dry verge as
the apex piece overlaps the the end of each end ridge tile making a more
secure fixing.

Richard

Re: Not DIY - dry ridge

<th13ki$b5ie$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=70934&group=uk.d-i-y#70934

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Not DIY - dry ridge
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 10:20:15 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 09:20 UTC

The only time I lost one it ended up in my gutter.
Do you live in a very windy place, or is there a footway right next to your
house? I remember many years ago, it was not a ridge tile but a chunk of
render that fell off and nearly killed a neighbours cat. Apparently water
had got in and frozen behind it.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"The Hanging Baskets of Babylon" <no@way.com> wrote in message
> Certainly not DIY for me - I don't like ladders :-) It's coming up to
> that time of year when I start to worry about our ridge tiles (more
> specifically, one landing on someone's head). I was wondering if it is
> worth getting someone to put a dry ridge up there? Has anyone here had
> one fitted? I believe they are fitted to new-builds now.

Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridge

<th1dio$bt1a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=70945&group=uk.d-i-y#70945

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (Jim GM4DHJ ...)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 13:10:01 +0100
 by: Jim GM4DHJ ... - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 12:10 UTC

On 9/27/2022 5:07 PM, The Hanging Baskets of Babylon wrote:
> Certainly not DIY for me - I don't like ladders :-)  It's coming up to
> that time of year when I start to worry about our ridge tiles (more
> specifically, one landing on someone's head).  I was wondering if it is
> worth getting someone to put a dry ridge up there?  Has anyone here had
> one fitted?  I believe they are fitted to new-builds now.
just go wet again you can't beat a nice bit of parging ....quality

Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridge

<th1vq2$o1t$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=70970&group=uk.d-i-y#70970

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 18:21:06 +0100
 by: Andrew - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 17:21 UTC

On 27/09/2022 17:07, The Hanging Baskets of Babylon wrote:
> Certainly not DIY for me - I don't like ladders :-)  It's coming up to
> that time of year when I start to worry about our ridge tiles (more
> specifically, one landing on someone's head).  I was wondering if it is
> worth getting someone to put a dry ridge up there?  Has anyone here had
> one fitted?  I believe they are fitted to new-builds now.

According to Mr Aerial, he has seen many badly bodged dry-fit
ridge systems retro-fitted to existing houses so be careful who
you get to do it.

Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridge

<5a2f1dea10dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=70976&group=uk.d-i-y#70976

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 18:37:42 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 17:37 UTC

In article <tgv745$3ild$1@dont-email.me>,
The Hanging Baskets of Babylon <no@way.com> wrote:
> Certainly not DIY for me - I don't like ladders :-) It's coming up to
> that time of year when I start to worry about our ridge tiles (more
> specifically, one landing on someone's head). I was wondering if it is
> worth getting someone to put a dry ridge up there? Has anyone here had
> one fitted? I believe they are fitted to new-builds now.

Mine was when the roof was replaced about 30 years ago.

When replacing a felted flat roof at the rear, the courses of tiles above
that had to be replaced too as the felt went under them. And the ridge
tiles. Which shock horror appeared to be asbestos and so dangerous they
wouldn't take them away. And replaced with ones set in mortar. And the
mortar will of course fall out in time.

--
*The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridge

<9759jhhec3irrdbnjie2co04h1vrei2s3b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=70987&group=uk.d-i-y#70987

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 19:45:57 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 18:45 UTC

On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 18:21:06 +0100, Andrew
<Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> wrote:

>On 27/09/2022 17:07, The Hanging Baskets of Babylon wrote:
>> Certainly not DIY for me - I don't like ladders :-)  It's coming up to
>> that time of year when I start to worry about our ridge tiles (more
>> specifically, one landing on someone's head).  I was wondering if it is
>> worth getting someone to put a dry ridge up there?  Has anyone here had
>> one fitted?  I believe they are fitted to new-builds now.
>
>According to Mr Aerial, he has seen many badly bodged dry-fit
>ridge systems retro-fitted to existing houses so be careful who
>you get to do it.

Yes indeed. Don't get some gypo type who turns up out of nowhere. You
need to be thoroughly confident in the company you use.
I had mine done about 3 years ago with no clue about what was being
done. Never heard of the idea before. I actually rang up the
contractor after they'd finished and told them they'd forgotten to
remove the tile spacers! When informed that was how it was supposed to
be, I nearly had kittens. Anyway, thus far no issues, thank god, but
I'd feel safer with a conventional roof, which is what I thought I was
getting. Just put that down to my advanced age, I guess - and not
understanding the schedule attached to the contract!

Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridge

<th2bbj$egvv$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=70992&group=uk.d-i-y#70992

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 21:38:10 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 20:38 UTC

On 27/09/2022 22:35, Tricky Dicky wrote:
> The Hanging Baskets of Babylon <no@way.com> wrote:
>> Certainly not DIY for me - I don't like ladders :-) It's coming up to
>> that time of year when I start to worry about our ridge tiles (more
>> specifically, one landing on someone's head). I was wondering if it is
>> worth getting someone to put a dry ridge up there? Has anyone here had
>> one fitted? I believe they are fitted to new-builds now.
>>

> We had one fitted when we replaced the roof two years ago, no problems so
> far. One thing I think you might consider is also fitting a dry verge as
> the apex piece overlaps the the end of each end ridge tile making a more
> secure fixing.

I have never been so keen on the look of dry verges... the ridge looks
ok, but the segmented "wrap around" look of the verge always seems "odd"
to me.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridge

<jpku56Fo5vqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=70996&group=uk.d-i-y#70996

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 08:00:55 +0100
 by: alan_m - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 07:00 UTC

On 28/09/2022 18:21, Andrew wrote:

> According to Mr Aerial, he has seen many badly bodged dry-fit
> ridge systems retro-fitted to existing houses so be careful who
> you get to do it.

Mr average will never venture up on his roof to check the quality of any
work.

When I had my roof replaced I took the opportunity to use the
scaffolding to perform some other roof height repairs and painting and
to check the quality of workmanship of flashing etc.

A few days ago an elderly relative had one ridge tile that had detached
and had slipped a couple of feet down the slope re-attached (not dry
ridge). Another relative had attempted to get some roofers around and
all were quoting over the phone £200 to £300 for the job. In the end it
was done for £80 based on a off chance recommendation. As a bonus when
he came down he advised that he had examined the roof and gutters and
could see nothing else amiss so don't be taken in by any door knocker
who claims otherwise.

Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridge

<e2c4156f-0e79-49ac-8c33-b8f54d6322b8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71002&group=uk.d-i-y#71002

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 00:40:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: tpmcc...@gmail.com (fred)
 by: fred - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 07:40 UTC

On Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 8:00:59 AM UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
> On 28/09/2022 18:21, Andrew wrote:
> >
> > According to Mr Aerial, he has seen many badly bodged dry-fit
> > ridge systems retro-fitted to existing houses so be careful who
> > you get to do it.
> >
> Mr average will never venture up on his roof to check the quality of any
> work.
>
> When I had my roof replaced I took the opportunity to use the
> scaffolding to perform some other roof height repairs and painting and
> to check the quality of workmanship of flashing etc.
>
> A few days ago an elderly relative had one ridge tile that had detached
> and had slipped a couple of feet down the slope re-attached (not dry
> ridge). Another relative had attempted to get some roofers around and
> all were quoting over the phone £200 to £300 for the job. In the end it
> was done for £80 based on a off chance recommendation. As a bonus when
> he came down he advised that he had examined the roof and gutters and
> could see nothing else amiss so don't be taken in by any door knocker
> who claims otherwise.
>
> --
> mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk

Find a friend with a drone and have a good look. We had a problem some time back with weeds growing around the base of the chimney pots. I was quoted horrendous prices fos a cure. No.3 son had a drone. Put it up. Assessed the problem and we hired a cherry picker which was considrably cheaper . He was happy using the cherry picker and effecting the repair. I had one attempt and that was enough. My onset vestibulation did not agree woth it

Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridge

<th3lsq$kfvg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71005&group=uk.d-i-y#71005

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (Jim Stewart ...)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 09:44:11 +0100
 by: Jim Stewart ... - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 08:44 UTC

On 28/09/2022 13:10, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
> On 9/27/2022 5:07 PM, The Hanging Baskets of Babylon wrote:
>> Certainly not DIY for me - I don't like ladders :-)  It's coming up to
>> that time of year when I start to worry about our ridge tiles (more
>> specifically, one landing on someone's head).  I was wondering if it
>> is worth getting someone to put a dry ridge up there?  Has anyone here
>> had one fitted?  I believe they are fitted to new-builds now.
> just go wet again you can't beat a nice bit of parging ....quality
OK tifting then .....

Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridge

<914ed1d4-209d-4587-90b2-9926e6aae781n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71039&group=uk.d-i-y#71039

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 07:29:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (wrights...@f2s.com)
 by: wrights...@f2s.com - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 14:29 UTC

On Wednesday, 28 September 2022 at 18:21:14 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
> On 27/09/2022 17:07, The Hanging Baskets of Babylon wrote:
> > Certainly not DIY for me - I don't like ladders :-) It's coming up to
> > that time of year when I start to worry about our ridge tiles (more
> > specifically, one landing on someone's head). I was wondering if it is
> > worth getting someone to put a dry ridge up there? Has anyone here had
> > one fitted? I believe they are fitted to new-builds now.
> According to Mr Aerial, he has seen many badly bodged dry-fit
> ridge systems retro-fitted to existing houses so be careful who
> you get to do it.

Yes this is true. Really bad some of them.
Bill

Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridge

<mpro.rizomc003pp6e0400.brian13434@lycos.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71090&group=uk.d-i-y#71090

From: brian13...@lycos.co.uk (Brian D)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 21:51:48 +0100
 by: Brian D - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 20:51 UTC

alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> Mr average will never venture up on his roof to check the quality of any
> work.

Easy to do nowadays with a drone. My son checked mine over after last
winter's storms. He's also checked his own roof whilst getting repairs done.

--
Braind

Re: OT: Not DIY - dry ridge

<th7jsk$ldc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71276&group=uk.d-i-y#71276

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 21:34:28 +0100
 by: Andrew - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 20:34 UTC

On 28/09/2022 21:38, John Rumm wrote:
> On 27/09/2022 22:35, Tricky Dicky wrote:
>> The Hanging Baskets of Babylon <no@way.com> wrote:
>>> Certainly not DIY for me - I don't like ladders :-)  It's coming up to
>>> that time of year when I start to worry about our ridge tiles (more
>>> specifically, one landing on someone's head).  I was wondering if it is
>>> worth getting someone to put a dry ridge up there?  Has anyone here had
>>> one fitted?  I believe they are fitted to new-builds now.
>>>

>> We had one fitted when we replaced the roof two years ago, no problems so
>> far. One thing I think you might consider is also fitting a dry verge as
>> the apex piece overlaps the the end of each end ridge tile making a more
>> secure fixing.
>
> I have never been so keen on the look of dry verges... the ridge looks
> ok, but the segmented "wrap around" look of the verge always seems "odd"
> to me.

And if the roof is hipped, the angled joint has to be done in
mortar anyway, which looks a bit naff.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / OT: Not DIY - dry ridge