Graduate life: It's not just a job. It's an indenture.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: Ogling The Brids

SubjectAuthor
* Ogling The BridsTone
`* Ogling The Bridsmaus
 +- Ogling The Bridshubops
 +* Ogling The BridsRustyHinge
 |`* Ogling The BridsRichard Robinson
 | `- Ogling The BridsRustyHinge
 `* Ogling The BridsJohn Williamson
  +- Ogling The BridsTone
  `* Ogling The Bridshubops
   +* Ogling The BridsJohn Williamson
   |`* Ogling The BridsAhem A Rivet's Shot
   | +* Ogling The Bridscrn
   | |`- Ogling The BridsRustyHinge
   | +- Ogling The BridsNicholas D. Richards
   | +- Ogling The BridsNick Odell
   | `* Ogling The BridsPeter
   |  `* Ogling The BridsJohn Williamson
   |   +- Ogling The BridsPeter
   |   `- Ogling The BridsRichard Robinson
   `* Ogling The BridsMike Fleming
    `- Ogling The BridsRichard Robinson

1
Ogling The Brids

<ssor5p$r62$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7039&group=uk.rec.sheds#7039

From: ema...@address.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Ogling The Brids
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 12:41:30 +0000
 by: Tone - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 12:41 UTC

Anyone else doing the RSPB Brid Watch this weekend?

Having read their destructions several times, it seems they want us to
note the maximum number of a type of brid that comes in a flock, within
any hour during Friday to Sunday.

Given that flocks don't stand still, individual brids might keep coming
back, and folks might get the ID wrong, it all seems very faulted to me.

I mean, lotsa brids don't come in flocks, and it might not be the same
individual brid that keeps coming back anyway, so 'Blackbird one', could
be ten out.

Luckily my downstairs neighbours are doing it, so I won't need to.

Twitchin' Tone

Re: Ogling The Brids

<slrnsv0bqv.8qd.maus@dmaus.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7045&group=uk.rec.sheds#7045

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Ogling The Brids
Date: 25 Jan 2022 17:11:59 GMT
 by: maus - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 17:11 UTC

On 2022-01-25, Tone <email@address.com> wrote:
> Anyone else doing the RSPB Brid Watch this weekend?
>
> Having read their destructions several times, it seems they want us to
> note the maximum number of a type of brid that comes in a flock, within
> any hour during Friday to Sunday.
>
> Given that flocks don't stand still, individual brids might keep coming
> back, and folks might get the ID wrong, it all seems very faulted to me.
>
> I mean, lotsa brids don't come in flocks, and it might not be the same
> individual brid that keeps coming back anyway, so 'Blackbird one', could
> be ten out.
>
> Luckily my downstairs neighbours are doing it, so I won't need to.
>
> Twitchin' Tonea

I once nearly shot a twitcher, having trouble with a fox, and was
sitting in the hedge watching a newy born lamb, when this idiot got over
the fence, and said that he was counting birds. the thought that he was
disturing a newly born lamb never occured to him.

I gave up my gun licence yesterday. It always puzzled me how it would
help with `home defence'?. Are you going to keep the gun beside the front
door?

--
greymausg@mail.com
That's not a mousehole!

Re: Ogling The Brids

<l2d0vg1purhov62bs8e4v8rc0ntq9qreo6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7046&group=uk.rec.sheds#7046

From: hub...@ccanoemail.ca
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 12:40:00 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.ca - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 17:40 UTC

On 25 Jan 2022 17:11:59 GMT, maus <maus@dmaus.org> wrote:

>On 2022-01-25, Tone <email@address.com> wrote:
>> Anyone else doing the RSPB Brid Watch this weekend?
>>
>> Having read their destructions several times, it seems they want us to
>> note the maximum number of a type of brid that comes in a flock, within
>> any hour during Friday to Sunday.
>>
>> Given that flocks don't stand still, individual brids might keep coming
>> back, and folks might get the ID wrong, it all seems very faulted to me.
>>
>> I mean, lotsa brids don't come in flocks, and it might not be the same
>> individual brid that keeps coming back anyway, so 'Blackbird one', could
>> be ten out.
>>
>> Luckily my downstairs neighbours are doing it, so I won't need to.
>>
>> Twitchin' Tonea
>
>I once nearly shot a twitcher, having trouble with a fox, and was
>sitting in the hedge watching a newy born lamb, when this idiot got over
>the fence, and said that he was counting birds. the thought that he was
>disturing a newly born lamb never occured to him.
>
>I gave up my gun licence yesterday. It always puzzled me how it would
>help with `home defence'?. Are you going to keep the gun beside the front
>door?

A number of years ago, statistics showed that Canadians owned more
firearms per capita than Americans ... perhaps not true today ?
But I like to point out a salient difference -
- Yanks keep them loaded & handy for personal protection ;
- Canucks keep them locked away and get them out to kill animals.
John T.

Re: Ogling The Brids

<sspf0c$fh4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7047&group=uk.rec.sheds#7047

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 18:19:55 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 18:19 UTC

On 25/01/2022 17:11, maus wrote:

> I gave up my gun licence yesterday. It always puzzled me how it would
> help with `home defence'?. Are you going to keep the gun beside the front
> door?

You suggest to the Old Bill that you want a gun for 'home defence', and
you'll *never* get one (legally).

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Ogling The Brids

<j5b4udFiiilU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7049&group=uk.rec.sheds#7049

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 20:30:05 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 20:30 UTC

On 25/01/2022 17:11, maus wrote:

> I gave up my gun licence yesterday. It always puzzled me how it would
> help with `home defence'?. Are you going to keep the gun beside the front
> door?

In South Africa, where it was and is legal, I met a friend of the family
who kept a loaded 9mm behind the bar in his living room and another in
his bedside cabinet. As far as I know, he never had to do more than have
one of them in his hand to deter the attempted burglary.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Ogling The Brids

<sspnc3$dg3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7051&group=uk.rec.sheds#7051

From: ema...@address.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 20:42:45 +0000
 by: Tone - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 20:42 UTC

On 25/01/2022 20:30, John Williamson wrote:
> On 25/01/2022 17:11, maus wrote:
>
>> I gave up my gun licence yesterday. It always puzzled me how it would
>> help with `home defence'?. Are you going to keep the gun beside the front
>> door?
>>
> In South Africa, where it was and is legal, I met a friend of the family
> who kept a loaded 9mm behind the bar in his living room and another in
> his bedside cabinet. As far as I know, he never had to do more than have
> one of them in his hand to deter the attempted burglary.

I can believe that.

My uncle (rtd) lived behind high walls and a locked gate in Joburg.
Nevertheless he had an armed break-in whilst he was sitting at his desk.

The only reason they didn't kill him was because he told them where the
money was and convinced them that he was blind, so couldn't identify them.

Later he did.

Tone

Re: Ogling The Brids

<taq0vghf2tf1eh14l50ahtemm5bmrc6php@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7053&group=uk.rec.sheds#7053

From: hub...@ccanoemail.ca
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 16:27:03 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.ca - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 21:27 UTC

On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 20:30:05 +0000, John Williamson
<johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>On 25/01/2022 17:11, maus wrote:
>
>> I gave up my gun licence yesterday. It always puzzled me how it would
>> help with `home defence'?. Are you going to keep the gun beside the front
>> door?
>>
>In South Africa, where it was and is legal, I met a friend of the family
>who kept a loaded 9mm behind the bar in his living room and another in
>his bedside cabinet. As far as I know, he never had to do more than have
>one of them in his hand to deter the attempted burglary.

I can't speak for South Africa but I suspect that - in North
America - for every home robbery that is successfully thwarted
by the homeowner's brandishing or use of a firearm -
- there are probably dozens of innocent people and children
maimed & killed by the careless use and storage ..
John T.

Re: Ogling The Brids

<j5b985Fjdq9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7054&group=uk.rec.sheds#7054

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 21:43:31 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 21:43 UTC

On 25/01/2022 21:27, hubops@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

> I can't speak for South Africa but I suspect that - in North
> America - for every home robbery that is successfully thwarted
> by the homeowner's brandishing or use of a firearm -
> - there are probably dozens of innocent people and children
> maimed & killed by the careless use and storage ..
> John T.

That is, indeed what the figures say in the USA. I haven't seen the
figures for South Africa, but would guess they are similar.

The guy I knew could not understand that where I lived at the time, if I
forgot to lock the door on the way out, I didn't immediately panic and
who did not have grilles over the windows and doors, tall walls topped
with glass shards or spikes and an airlock type arrangement to get in
and out of the garage and house with two sets of doors which were never
open at the same time. It's not paranoid if they are actually out to get
you...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Ogling The Brids

<20220125223650.1867aa93b7cf18d774091d23@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7055&group=uk.rec.sheds#7055

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 22:36:50 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 22:36 UTC

On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 21:43:31 +0000
John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

> The guy I knew could not understand that where I lived at the time, if I
> forgot to lock the door on the way out, I didn't immediately panic and

Lock the door ? I'd have to find the key first (OK I do know where
it is in the box with all the others). Then again there are six dogs living
in the house.

> who did not have grilles over the windows and doors, tall walls topped
> with glass shards or spikes and an airlock type arrangement to get in
> and out of the garage and house with two sets of doors which were never
> open at the same time. It's not paranoid if they are actually out to get
> you...

I could not live like that, I'd go somewhere else where people are
saner.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Ogling The Brids

<xoidndwg1fc4FW38nZ2dnUU7-IednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7056&group=uk.rec.sheds#7056

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 17:32:53 -0600
 by: Richard Robinson - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 23:32 UTC

RustyHinge said:
> On 25/01/2022 17:11, maus wrote:
>>
>> I gave up my gun licence yesterday. It always puzzled me how it would
>> help with `home defence'?. Are you going to keep the gun beside the front
>> door?
>
> You suggest to the Old Bill that you want a gun for 'home defence', and
> you'll *never* get one (legally).

Don't tell them you're terrified of rabbits ?

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Ogling The Brids

<ssq411$1fk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7057&group=uk.rec.sheds#7057

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 00:18:40 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 00:18 UTC

On 25/01/2022 23:32, Richard Robinson wrote:
> RustyHinge said:
>> On 25/01/2022 17:11, maus wrote:
>>>
>>> I gave up my gun licence yesterday. It always puzzled me how it would
>>> help with `home defence'?. Are you going to keep the gun beside the front
>>> door?
>>
>> You suggest to the Old Bill that you want a gun for 'home defence', and
>> you'll *never* get one (legally).
>
> Don't tell them you're terrified of rabbits ?

Not afraid of them: it's just their attitude, sticking two ears up at me
like that.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Ogling The Brids

<j5bk9jFlcb5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7059&group=uk.rec.sheds#7059

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 00:52:02 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 00:52 UTC

On 25/01/2022 21:27, hubops@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

> I can't speak for South Africa but I suspect that - in North
> America - for every home robbery that is successfully thwarted
> by the homeowner's brandishing or use of a firearm -
> - there are probably dozens of innocent people and children
> maimed & killed by the careless use and storage ..

More gun suicides than homicides in the US of Leftpondia, and about 50%
of accidental injury shootings are self-inflicted.

Re: Ogling The Brids

<ssqatr$uhk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7061&group=uk.rec.sheds#7061

From: crn...@nospam.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 02:16:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: crn...@nospam.com - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 02:16 UTC

Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> Lock the door ? I'd have to find the key first (OK I do know where
> it is in the box with all the others). Then again there are six dogs living
> in the house.

>> who did not have grilles over the windows and doors, tall walls topped
>> with glass shards or spikes and an airlock type arrangement to get in
>> and out of the garage and house with two sets of doors which were never
>> open at the same time. It's not paranoid if they are actually out to get
>> you...
>
> I could not live like that, I'd go somewhere else where people are
> saner.

When I lived near Joburg in the 70s window bars were standard fitting
but high walls were rare. The reason for window bars was the need to
leave windows open at night due to the summer heat. We had a 7 foot wall
around the pool and BBQ area for privacy.
Never had a breakin but had a car and a bike taken from the driveway,
the car was found around the corner with damage around the steering
wheel from a failed hotwiring attept, the somewhat crappy Tiger 100
was never seen again.

--
http://www.netunix.com/

Re: Ogling The Brids

<mRSWswAdvJ8hFAbN@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7066&group=uk.rec.sheds#7066

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 00:54:53 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 00:54 UTC

In article <20220125223650.1867aa93b7cf18d774091d23@eircom.net>, Ahem A
Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> on Tue, 25 Jan 2022 at 22:36:50 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 21:43:31 +0000
>John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> The guy I knew could not understand that where I lived at the time, if I
>> forgot to lock the door on the way out, I didn't immediately panic and
>
> Lock the door ? I'd have to find the key first (OK I do know where
>it is in the box with all the others). Then again there are six dogs living
>in the house.

I worked with a two and a half who had been part of the naval attache
staff in Nigeria. Luckily for him he was out when the burglars came to
call. They had gone through the high walls, security, killed both guard
dogs and emptied the house.

> I could not live like that, I'd go somewhere else where people are
>saner.

I would not want to visit or live in the USA or SA. When we visited my
wife's family in Cebu I was very uncomfortable, even the hairdresser had
an armed guard.

Whereas I felt very safe enough in France even in Corsica which has its
own independence hard men and the blood feud is not dead.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Ogling The Brids

<ssr7t9$1ft$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7068&group=uk.rec.sheds#7068

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 10:31:04 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 10:31 UTC

On 26/01/2022 02:16, crn@nospam.com wrote:

> When I lived near Joburg in the 70s window bars were standard fitting
> but high walls were rare. The reason for window bars was the need to
> leave windows open at night due to the summer heat. We had a 7 foot wall
> around the pool and BBQ area for privacy.
> Never had a breakin but had a car and a bike taken from the driveway,
> the car was found around the corner with damage around the steering
> wheel from a failed hotwiring attept, the somewhat crappy Tiger 100
> was never seen again.

But I wouldn't want to try to afford one now.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Ogling The Brids

<Qu-dnagrQpAHumz8nZ2dnUU7-L2dnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7069&group=uk.rec.sheds#7069

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 04:51:06 -0600
 by: Richard Robinson - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 10:51 UTC

Mike Fleming said:
> On 25/01/2022 21:27, hubops@ccanoemail.ca wrote:
>>
>> I can't speak for South Africa but I suspect that - in North
>> America - for every home robbery that is successfully thwarted
>> by the homeowner's brandishing or use of a firearm -
>> - there are probably dozens of innocent people and children
>> maimed & killed by the careless use and storage ..
>
> More gun suicides than homicides in the US of Leftpondia, and about 50%
> of accidental injury shootings are self-inflicted.

I may be becoming excessively cynical ?
IRTA "accidental jury shootings".

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Ogling The Brids

<qdc2vgpq192r8o1tupmg5a37pa4o309428@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7073&group=uk.rec.sheds#7073

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 11:42:15 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 11:42 UTC

On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 22:36:50 +0000, Ahem A Rivet's Shot
<steveo@eircom.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 21:43:31 +0000
>John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> The guy I knew could not understand that where I lived at the time, if I
>> forgot to lock the door on the way out, I didn't immediately panic and
>
> Lock the door ? I'd have to find the key first (OK I do know where
>it is in the box with all the others). Then again there are six dogs living
>in the house.

>> who did not have grilles over the windows and doors, tall walls topped
>> with glass shards or spikes and an airlock type arrangement to get in
>> and out of the garage and house with two sets of doors which were never
>> open at the same time. It's not paranoid if they are actually out to get
>> you...
>
> I could not live like that, I'd go somewhere else where people are
>saner.

And suddenly it's 1980 all over again and I'm humming "I'm gonna move
to a new town where the people are nice."

Original version by Split Enz from 1980 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgV6ULKFYQ4

Trying to appear sane and struggling to hold the madness inside 2008
version by Lisa Miller here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgV6ULKFYQ4

Nick

Re: Ogling The Brids

<XnsAE2B78A3825FFFactura3476@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7077&group=uk.rec.sheds#7077

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 11:51:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 11:51 UTC

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 21:43:31 +0000
> John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> The guy I knew could not understand that where I lived at the time,
>> if I forgot to lock the door on the way out, I didn't immediately
>> panic and
>
> Lock the door ? I'd have to find the key first (OK I do know
> where
> it is in the box with all the others). Then again there are six dogs
> living in the house.

A place we rented in Spain had a plethora of dogs. They mainly ignored us
except one time when the owner was out and the dogs came round to our flat
and barked furioiusly, and otherwise indicated that they would quite
appreciate it if we were to follow them. So we did, round to the main house
where we discovered an intruder. We'd only been there a week and the dogs
had already decided that we were part of the family - I was impressed.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Ogling The Brids

<j5d370Ftq0jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7092&group=uk.rec.sheds#7092

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 14:12:44 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 14:12 UTC

On 26/01/2022 11:51, Peter wrote:

> A place we rented in Spain had a plethora of dogs. They mainly ignored us
> except one time when the owner was out and the dogs came round to our flat
> and barked furioiusly, and otherwise indicated that they would quite
> appreciate it if we were to follow them. So we did, round to the main house
> where we discovered an intruder. We'd only been there a week and the dogs
> had already decided that we were part of the family - I was impressed.

They take their cues about who is part of the pack from their (human)
leader, so he must have trusted you. My mutt used to be quite blatant
about it. When we first met someone he looked at me, then reacted as I
did, and did so even if he met them without me later on.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Ogling The Brids

<XnsAE2BBC643CF73Factura3476@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7095&group=uk.rec.sheds#7095

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 18:31:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 18:31 UTC

John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote in

> On 26/01/2022 11:51, Peter wrote:
>
>> A place we rented in Spain had a plethora of dogs. They mainly
>> ignored us except one time when the owner was out and the dogs came
>> round to our flat and barked furioiusly, and otherwise indicated that
>> they would quite appreciate it if we were to follow them. So we did,
>> round to the main house where we discovered an intruder. We'd only
>> been there a week and the dogs had already decided that we were part
>> of the family - I was impressed.
>>
> They take their cues about who is part of the pack from their (human)
> leader, so he must have trusted you. My mutt used to be quite blatant
> about it. When we first met someone he looked at me, then reacted as I
> did, and did so even if he met them without me later on.

That molishes sense. We had spent quite a lot of time nattering to the
(English) owner about the history of the place over much wine (which the
owner molished - jolly good, it were). And no doubt the dogs saw us
relaxing with their human.

The place was full of industrial archaeology - canals, waterwheels,
partially demolished factory sheds and so on. It was known locally as the
bomb factory - the bombs in this case had been cast-iron cannon balls. So
the owner had much of interest to say.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Ogling The Brids

<ZeadnWcYs9fZAm_8nZ2dnUU7-K_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7105&group=uk.rec.sheds#7105

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 07:33:56 -0600
 by: Richard Robinson - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 13:33 UTC

John Williamson said:
> On 26/01/2022 11:51, Peter wrote:
>
>> A place we rented in Spain had a plethora of dogs. They mainly ignored us
>> except one time when the owner was out and the dogs came round to our flat
>> and barked furioiusly, and otherwise indicated that they would quite
>> appreciate it if we were to follow them. So we did, round to the main house
>> where we discovered an intruder. We'd only been there a week and the dogs
>> had already decided that we were part of the family - I was impressed.
>>
> They take their cues about who is part of the pack from their (human)
> leader, so he must have trusted you. My mutt used to be quite blatant
> about it. When we first met someone he looked at me, then reacted as I
> did, and did so even if he met them without me later on.

Onceuponatime, I was Down The Pub and a mate inviting people back to his
for an afterhours carryon. Halfway up the hill he had to go off and sort
something out for a few minutes, so he gave me the key;
"Connie-the-dog's on guard, but it'll be okay, she know you". Which it
probably would have been, apart from Mr. Twat going "I know about dogs,
you just have to establish who's boss". I tried to stop him, but he
wouldn't listen, insisted on barging in there giving it that attitude.
A remarkably few seconds later, it was indeed very clear who was boss.
It wasn't him.