30 day money back guarantee minus shipping, 10% restocking charge, and 7% cancellation charge.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Parents to be charged for school cycling lessons in North Yorkshire

SubjectAuthor
* Parents to be charged for school cycling lessons in North Yorkshireswldx...@gmail.com
`* Re: Parents to be charged for school cycling lessons in North YorkshireMike Collins
 +- Re: Parents to be charged for school cycling lessons in NorthJNugent
 +* Re: Parents to be charged for school cycling lessons in North Yorkshireswldx...@gmail.com
 |`- Re: Parents to be charged for school cycling lessons in NorthSpike
 `* Re: Parents to be charged for school cycling lessons in North Yorkshireswldx...@gmail.com
  `- Re: Parents to be charged for school cycling lessons in North YorkshireMike Collins

1
Parents to be charged for school cycling lessons in North Yorkshire

<0089973f-4a23-4df6-9e0e-f62f70fe0789n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7087&group=uk.rec.cycling#7087

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 12:52:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Parents to be charged for school cycling lessons in North Yorkshire
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 19:52 UTC

Leading North Yorkshire County councillors will on Friday (Mar 18) consider accepting the Department of (SIC) Transport’s grant to run Bikeability, the government’s national cycle training programme which teaches practical skills and about how to cycle on roads.

The proposal to formally accept the grant has been made despite it being less than the £46.20 per pupil than it received last year and amid rising costs it representing a shortfall of almost £90,000.

An officers’ report states alongside an increased subsidy from the council, from September will be the first full year in which fees will be charged to the families of more than 4,000 primary school pupils for the course.

The officers’ report warns: “This may impact on the number of schools booking courses.”

It highlights how for the current academic year the council accepted a grant of £168,165 to provide up to 3,637 places, on the scheme which employs seven fixed term, part-time staff and approximately 40 casual relief cycle trainers.

For the coming academic year the Department for Transport has offered grant funding of £186,165, to provide 4,137 places, equating to £45 per pupil.

The report states: “For the programme to continue, funding will be required to meet the shortfall, through either a full charging scheme or another source.”

The council’s executive member for access, Don Mackenzie said while the charge to parents was coming on top of many other cost of living increases, the benefits of the undertaking cycling training were very significant.

Describing the £10 fee as “a very small amount”, Coun Mackenzie said Bikeability had become more important with the switch to more sustainable modes of travel and in the drive to tackle obesity.

He said: “It gives people better skills on the road, improves their confidence, and once trained encourages more people to take up cycling. To me it is up there with life skills such as learning to swim.”

However, the authority’s Liberal Democrat and Labour group leaders, councillors Bryn Griffiths and Eric Broadbent have called for the ruling Conservative administration to rethink the levying charge, saying it would prove divisive in some schools and an unacceptable extra charge for many families.

Coun Griffiths said putting an extra £10 charge on people already struggling to make ends meet due to mounting fuel and food costs was “a dreadful idea”.

He said: “An exemption for children on free school meals would be an excellent idea.”

Coun Broadbent added he was concerned the charge could lead to some children from financially struggling families not taking the course and while £10 would seem a minimal sum to many people, it would represent another item those on low incomes would not have budgeted for.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/education/parents-to-be-charged-for-school-cycling-lessons-in-north-yorkshire-3610504?fbclid=IwAR1dgkJdx20oLV1U1nfxgwSgWE7RjOqpliINoR49kiDWtK9wnQYGDHeaXY4

Re: Parents to be charged for school cycling lessons in North Yorkshire

<79920a6c-997c-479d-b4df-f507b8183a98n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7116&group=uk.rec.cycling#7116

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 09:48:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 16:48 UTC

On Friday, 18 March 2022 at 19:52:55 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> However, the authority’s Liberal Democrat and Labour group leaders, councillors Bryn Griffiths and Eric Broadbent have called for the ruling Conservative administration to rethink the levying charge, saying it would prove divisive in some schools and an unacceptable extra charge for many families.
>
> Coun Griffiths said putting an extra £10 charge on people already struggling to make ends meet due to mounting fuel and food costs was “a dreadful idea”.
>
> He said: “An exemption for children on free school meals would be an excellent idea.”
>
> Coun Broadbent added he was concerned the charge could lead to some children from financially struggling families not taking the course and while £10 would seem a minimal sum to many people, it would represent another item those on low incomes would not have budgeted for.

My Council charges for garden waste collection on the grounds that not all residents have gardens.
Not all residents have children yet they still have to pay for schools.

Re: Parents to be charged for school cycling lessons in North Yorkshire

<j9mftbFhvi2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7117&group=uk.rec.cycling#7117

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Parents to be charged for school cycling lessons in North
Yorkshire
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 16:49:47 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 16:49 UTC

On 19/03/2022 04:48 pm, Mike Collins wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> He said: “An exemption for children on free school meals would be an excellent idea.”
>>
>> Coun Broadbent added he was concerned the charge could lead to some children from financially struggling families not taking the course and while £10 would seem a minimal sum to many people, it would represent another item those on low incomes would not have budgeted for.
>>
>> https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/education/parents-to-be-charged-for-school-cycling-lessons-in-north-yorkshire-3610504?fbclid=IwAR1dgkJdx20oLV1U1nfxgwSgWE7RjOqpliINoR49kiDWtK9wnQYGDHeaXY4
>
> My Council charges for garden waste collection on the grounds that not all residents have gardens.
> Not all residents have children yet they still have to pay for schools.

Perhaps the relevant (secondary) schools should also give free driving
lessons to those aged 17 and over.

Re: Parents to be charged for school cycling lessons in North Yorkshire

<431c9c96-d0e2-4bd5-addd-093085143317n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7122&group=uk.rec.cycling#7122

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 10:04:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 17:04 UTC

On Saturday, March 19, 2022 at 4:48:46 PM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:

> My Council charges for garden waste collection on the grounds that not all residents have gardens.
> Not all residents have children yet they still have to pay for schools.

Of course freeloading drivers damage the roads in counties they have not paid a penny to in council tax.

Re: Parents to be charged for school cycling lessons in North Yorkshire

<j9mhueFi9oiU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7126&group=uk.rec.cycling#7126

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Yorkshire
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 17:24:32 +0000
 by: Spike - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 17:24 UTC

On 19/03/2022 17:04, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, March 19, 2022 at 4:48:46 PM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:

>> My Council charges for garden waste collection on the grounds that not all residents have gardens.
>> Not all residents have children yet they still have to pay for schools.

> Of course freeloading drivers damage the roads in counties they have not paid a penny to in council tax.

Perhaps they don't use the roads paid for by Council Tax.

--
Spike

Re: Parents to be charged for school cycling lessons in North Yorkshire

<f35cde50-ad15-45d8-8c0f-ed051ca5a8a6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7129&group=uk.rec.cycling#7129

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 10:27:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 17:27 UTC

On Saturday, March 19, 2022 at 4:48:46 PM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:

> My Council charges for garden waste collection on the grounds that not all residents have gardens.
> Not all residents have children yet they still have to pay for schools.

The little old lady that doesn't drive still pays for the roads by the VAT on her cat food.

Re: Parents to be charged for school cycling lessons in North Yorkshire

<d6cc24b2-89ed-4abd-b7ba-f715e198b042n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7145&group=uk.rec.cycling#7145

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 04:16:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 11:16 UTC

On Saturday, 19 March 2022 at 17:27:20 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, March 19, 2022 at 4:48:46 PM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:
> > My Council charges for garden waste collection on the grounds that not all residents have gardens.
> > Not all residents have children yet they still have to pay for schools.
> The little old lady that doesn't drive still pays for the roads by the VAT on her cat food.

And pays fuel duty for the vehicle that delivers the cat food to the shop.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Parents to be charged for school cycling lessons in North Yorkshire