Never get into fights with ugly people because they have nothing to lose.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Woman killed cyclist at busy junction after making 'dreadful misjudgement'

SubjectAuthor
* Woman killed cyclist at busy junction after making 'dreadful misjudgement'swldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Woman killed cyclist at busy junction after making 'dreadfulJNugent
+* Re: Woman killed cyclist at busy junction after making 'dreadful misjudgement'swldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Woman killed cyclist at busy junction after making 'dreadfulSpike
+* Re: Woman killed cyclist at busy junction after making 'dreadful misjudgement'swldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Woman killed cyclist at busy junction after making 'dreadfulJNugent
`- Re: Woman killed cyclist at busy junction after making 'dreadful misjudgement'swldx...@gmail.com

1
Woman killed cyclist at busy junction after making 'dreadful misjudgement'

<d4ce86a0-88c1-4420-9adf-55fecc813386n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7095&group=uk.rec.cycling#7095

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 04:20:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Woman killed cyclist at busy junction after making 'dreadful misjudgement'
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 11:20 UTC

A woman killed an 80-year-old cyclist after making a 'dreadful misjudgement' at a busy junction.

Emily Sutton was parked at a red light in her Fiat 500 alongside Edwin Wetton in Bowdon, Trafford. She was planning to turn left from Charcoal Road onto the A56, with Mr Wetton stopped slightly ahead and to her left.

Sutton, 30, had assumed that Mr Wetton, who was 'extremely fit' for his age and had no underlying health problems, was also going to turn left. But he actually wanted to cycle straight ahead and, when the lights turned to green, Sutton failed to check where Mr Wetton was cycling and crashed into him..

He fell off his bike banged his head, causing serious neck injuries. The injuries damaged his spinal cord and caused permanent paralysis from the neck down, Minshull Street Crown Court heard.

He decided not to have any further hospital treatment, and was instead given palliative care. Mr Wetton, who enjoyed going out for walks as well as cycling, died in June 2020, six days after the crash.

Sutton, from Stretford, pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving.. She was sentenced to a 12 month community order.

"The circumstances of this offence are tragic for all involved," Judge Bernadette Baxter told her. "I make it plain that no sentence I can pass today can assuage the pain and grief felt by the family of the deceased, or lessen then guilt that you feel for causing his death.

"In essence you are a hard working, law abiding, responsible member of society who made a dreadful misjudgement on this occasion. I have no doubt you are genuinely remorseful, and that the effects of this event will live you forever."

Prosecuting, David Toal said Mr Wetton, known as Anthony to his loved ones, was in the correct position either to turn left or move straight ahead.

"The collision was caused because Ms Sutton simply presumed that Mr Wetton was going to turn left," he said.

After the crash, at about 3.40pm on May 28, 2020, she and other motorists got out and went to help. Sutton, who has no previous convictions, later voluntarily attended at Eccles police station for an interview.

"I just remember seeing him go down," she told officers. "I just slammed my brakes on my car and ran out."

Defending, Richard Dawson said the incident has had 'catastrophic' consequences for both Mr Wetton's loved ones and the defendant.

"She was distraught from the start and has been distraught through the course of these proceedings," he said. Sutton has been diagnosed with PTSD and has no intention of ever driving again, Mr Dawson said.

"In every other aspect of life Emily Sutton presents as honest, decent and hard working," he added. She had previously been driving 'carefully and conscientiously' and the crash represented a 'monetary' lack of attention, the court heard.

Sutton, of Granby Road, Stretford, was also ordered to complete 150 hours of unpaid work, and was banned from driving for 12 months.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/woman-killed-cyclist-busy-junction-23432386

Re: Woman killed cyclist at busy junction after making 'dreadful misjudgement'

<j9m681Fg65fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7101&group=uk.rec.cycling#7101

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Woman killed cyclist at busy junction after making 'dreadful
misjudgement'
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:04:49 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:04 UTC

On 19/03/2022 11:20 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> A woman killed an 80-year-old cyclist after making a 'dreadful misjudgement' at a busy junction.
>
> Emily Sutton was parked at a red light

That would be an offence. Perhaps the writer meant "stopped" (which is
what all wheeled road-users are supposed to do at red traffic lights,
though it seems hard to convince certain sorts that it applies to them).

> [...]
>
> "I just remember seeing him go down," she told officers. "I just slammed my brakes on my car and ran out."
>
> Defending, Richard Dawson said the incident has had 'catastrophic' consequences for both Mr Wetton's loved ones and the defendant.
>
> "She was distraught from the start and has been distraught through the course of these proceedings," he said. Sutton has been diagnosed with PTSD and has no intention of ever driving again, Mr Dawson said.
>
> "In every other aspect of life Emily Sutton presents as honest, decent and hard working," he added. She had previously been driving 'carefully and conscientiously' and the crash represented a 'monetary' lack of attention, the court heard.
>
> Sutton, of Granby Road, Stretford, was also ordered to complete 150 hours of unpaid work, and was banned from driving for 12 months.

No fine reported [that doesn't mean there wasn't one, but you'd have
expected one to be mentioned in such a thorough report].

*12 month disqualification* [despite her declaration that she does not
intend to drive again, she is said to be (only) thirty and at that age,
"never" is a long, long, time, with plenty of expected life-span left
during which driving can once more suggest itself as the necessity that
it is for most people leading a civilised life].

*One hundred and fifty hours* of unpaid work [however, who knows but
that she doesn't already do something like that as a "hard working, law
abiding, responsible member" of her local community who "presents as
honest, decent and hard working"?].

A "12 month community order"

I must confess that I didn't know what that is.

<https://www.noblesolicitors.co.uk/about/a-guide-to-community-order.html>

[Seems as good a place to start as any]

QUOTE:
WHAT IS A COMMUNITY ORDER?
If an offender is found guilty of a crime that does not meet the
threshold for a custodial sentence, a judge or a magistrate can pass a
community order (also known as a community sentence).

When a community order (CO) is passed, the offence must be considered
‘serious enough’ to justify the imposition of a community order;
otherwise a lesser penalty (such as a fine or a conditional / absolute
discharge) is likely to be imposed.

THE POSSIBLE CONDITIONS
There are various conditions that can be issued as part of a community
order. These requirements differ according to the offender and the crime
committed, however, an order can run for up to three years. Less serious
offences will generally carry *one* or *two* conditions, while a more
serious offence may have *three* or *more* requirements to the order.
[my emphasis]

SUPERVISION
This requires the offender to attend regular appointments with
probation. The goal is to change the offender’s attitude and behaviour,
in a bid to stop them reoffending.

UNPAID WORK
Unpaid work can range from 40-300 hours, benefitting [sic] the local
community. There have been many high profile cases of celebrities
undertaking community service orders, including [Snipped irrelevant
specific case; it's not open to me to circulate offenders' names.]

[That sounds like the single option the court has chosen.]

CURFEW
This stipulates that the offender must remain in an agreed location for
specified hours. Curfews are usually electronically monitored, known as
“tagging”.

[Unlikely.]

PROGRAMMES
Designed to address and change a perpetrator’s behaviour, programmes are
accredited, and have been created to tackle attitudes and patterns of
behaviour that contribute to offending. [Snipped irrelevant specific
case; it's not open to me to circulate offenders' names.]

[Unlikely.]

DRUG REHABILITATION REQUIREMENT (DRR)
A DRR requires the offender to have treatment to address their drug
misuse. In a bid to help the offender transform their drug related
lifestyle, the DRR can take between six months and 3 years to complete,
whilst they must provide samples for testing when required.

[Even more unlikely.]

ALCOHOL TREATMENT
In cases where offenders have a drink dependency that causes them to
commit a crime, they can be ordered by the court to complete alcohol
treatment. This is a tailored programme with the aim to reduce
dependency on alcohol, whilst it can also last between 6 months and 3 years.

[Just as unlikely.]

ATTENDANCE CENTRE
This requirement means the offender must visit an attendance centre,
providing punishment and supportive rehabilitation work that encourages
people that have committed crimes to make positive changes to their
life. This condition commands the offender to visit the attendance
centre for between 12 and 36 hours, while it’s only available for those
under 25.

[Unlikely for someone who is known and acknowledged as a "hard working,
law abiding, responsible member" of her local community.]

REHABILITATION ACTIVITY REQUIREMENT
A rehabilitation activity requirement (RAR) necessitates an offender to
undertake training or education, leading to them gaining qualifications.
It is issued for the purpose of preventing reoffending, while providing
support tailored to an individual’s needs.

[Unlikely.]

RESIDENCE
The offender must reside at a specified address for up to 3 years, such
as an approved premises or a private address.

[Unlikely because it would not achieve anything.]

MENTAL HEALTH TREATMENT
Only to be imposed with the consent of a person with a conviction, this
condition is issued with direction of a doctor or physiologist.

[Very unlikely. It's not as though she drove off a motorway bridge onto
the carriageway below or anything, is it?]

EXCLUSION
The offender is excluded from entering a particular place or location
for a period of up to two years, such as specific shops, properties or
streets.

[Unlikely.]

PROHIBITED ACTIVITY
The offender must not participate in stipulated activities for a certain
period (up to three years), such as not attending a football match.

[Unlikely.]
ENDQUOTE

They can't possibly all apply. Perm any one (possibly two) from twelve
would seem to be as good an interpretation as you might hope for.

Re: Woman killed cyclist at busy junction after making 'dreadful misjudgement'

<af435410-59a5-4073-87b4-2a9d1a4c0500n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7105&group=uk.rec.cycling#7105

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 07:42:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:42 UTC

On Saturday, March 19, 2022 at 11:20:29 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

The killer driver QUOTE " has no intention of ever driving again" ENDS.

Let's all hope that she keeps to her understandable and sensible decision.

Re: Woman killed cyclist at busy junction after making 'dreadful misjudgement'

<t16tl1$1k0s$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7143&group=uk.rec.cycling#7143

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
misjudgement'
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 09:54:41 +0000
 by: Spike - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 09:54 UTC

On 19/03/2022 14:42, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, March 19, 2022 at 11:20:29 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> The killer driver QUOTE " has no intention of ever driving again" ENDS.

> Let's all hope that she keeps to her understandable and sensible decision.

Do killer cyclists quit in such a manner?

--
Spike

Re: Woman killed cyclist at busy junction after making 'dreadful misjudgement'

<8f0caf4b-efac-4522-bbbe-f38c5ebb38c0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7149&group=uk.rec.cycling#7149

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 04:40:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 11:40 UTC

On Saturday, March 19, 2022 at 11:20:29 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Sutton, 30, had assumed that Mr Wetton, who was 'extremely fit' for his age and had no underlying health problems, was also going to turn left. But he actually wanted to cycle straight ahead and, when the lights turned to green, Sutton failed to check where Mr Wetton was cycling and crashed into him.

He was 80 years old, FFS - it's a good job she has decided never to drive again if her judgement was THAT poor.

Re: Woman killed cyclist at busy junction after making 'dreadful misjudgement'

<j9ol7jF44pU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7154&group=uk.rec.cycling#7154

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
misjudgement'
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 12:32:51 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 12:32 UTC

On 20/03/2022 11:40 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, March 19, 2022 at 11:20:29 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>

>> Sutton, 30, had assumed that Mr Wetton, who was 'extremely fit' for his age and had no underlying health problems, was also going to turn left. But he actually wanted to cycle straight ahead and, when the lights turned to green, Sutton failed to check where Mr Wetton was cycling and crashed into him.
>
> He was 80 years old, FFS - it's a good job she has decided never to drive again if her judgement was THAT poor.

What does the age of the deceased have to do with anything?

Re: Woman killed cyclist at busy junction after making 'dreadful misjudgement'

<e2e9d75c-70e8-44f6-9729-8ab35fa1c825n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7159&group=uk.rec.cycling#7159

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 07:52:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 14:52 UTC

On Saturday, March 19, 2022 at 11:20:29 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> "In every other aspect of life Emily Sutton presents as honest, decent and hard working," he added. She had previously been driving 'carefully and conscientiously' and the crash represented a *'monetary' lack of attention, the court heard.

* 'monetary' ?

Does that allude to the criminal's sentence?

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Woman killed cyclist at busy junction after making 'dreadful misjudgement'