Go 'way! You're bothering me!

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Magic plastic hat failed

SubjectAuthor
* Magic plastic hat failedswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Magic plastic hat failedJNugent
+* Re: Magic plastic hat failedswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Magic plastic hat failed (cyclist killed in single vehicleJNugent
+* Re: Magic plastic hat failedswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Magic plastic hat failedJNugent
|`- Re: Magic plastic hat failedSpike
+* Re: Magic plastic hat failedswldx...@gmail.com
|+* Re: Magic plastic hat failedMike Collins
||`- Re: Magic plastic hat failedJNugent
|`- Re: Magic plastic hat failedJNugent
+- Re: Magic plastic hat failedSpike
`* Re: Magic plastic hat failedswldx...@gmail.com
 +- Re: Magic plastic hat failedSpike
 `- Re: Magic plastic hat failedswldx...@gmail.com

1
Magic plastic hat failed

<b3503ba3-0bb4-4d8f-99b0-fecb7e99adfcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7151&group=uk.rec.cycling#7151

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 04:56:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Magic plastic hat failed
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 11:56 UTC

A cyclist lost control, crashed and suffered fatal injuries on a Derbyshire road where a pothole was spotted. Gregory Strachey, 30, was part of a group of cyclists out on a training ride when he came off his bike going downhill on Edale Road just outside the village of Edale.

At an inquest into his death, Chesterfield Coroners Court heard a witness statement from Clifford Veighey, who was riding behind Mr Strachey at the time of the accident. He said, "The group had stopped for a coffee in Edale at about 1pm before setting off again."

He estimated the riders were going around 25 mph when they were heading down Edale Road with Mr Strachey in front of him on the road when "Greg appeared out of control before falling off and hitting his head". Mr Veighey added that he walked back up the road and found a pothole around where Mr Strachey came off his bike, however, there was no evidence given that the pothole caused the accident.

Mr Strachey, who was wearing a helmet, was airlifted to hospital having suffered a catastrophic head injury.

When he arrived at Sheffield's Northern General Hospital attempts were made to save him and he was rushed into emergency surgery but a report from the hospital told the inquest that Mr Strachey had suffered a massive bleed on the brain and his brain injury "was not survivable".

The accident happened on Sunday, March 6, 2022 and Mr Strachey passed away on Monday, March 7.

Following his death a tribute from his family was posted on the Manchester Triathlon Club's Facebook page, it read: "Our beautiful son and Sarah’s amazing brother, Greg, tragically died on Monday morning after a cycling accident in the Peak District whilst with his friends from the Manchester Triathlon Cycling Club. Sunday afternoon he was airlifted to Sheffield Hospital. Unfortunately, due to a catastrophic head injury, he sadly passed away on Monday morning."

Manchester Triathlon Club also posted its own tribute to their fellow member: "He was an amazing part of the club and will be sorely missed by everyone in the club and wider triathlon community.

"He embodied everything you would want in a teammate and always turned up to training with a smile on his face and a positive outlook on life; even through horizontal rain on bike rides!

"Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends for their sudden loss, and to all our club members who were with him on Sunday."

Concluding the inquest, Assistant Coroner Mrs Susan Evans confirmed that Mr Strachey's death was as a result of an accident.

A JustGiving page has been set up in tribute to Mr Strachey and has already more than doubled its initial £1,000 target, you can access the page by clicking here.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/cyclist-died-after-crash-derbyshire-6827353#comments-wrapper

Re: Magic plastic hat failed

<j9ol27F44pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7152&group=uk.rec.cycling#7152

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Magic plastic hat failed
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 12:29:59 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 12:29 UTC

On 20/03/2022 11:56 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> A cyclist lost control, crashed and suffered fatal injuries on a Derbyshire road where a pothole was spotted. Gregory Strachey, 30, was part of a group of cyclists out on a training ride when he came off his bike going downhill on Edale Road just outside the village of Edale.

Single vehicle accident involving a cyclist.

> At an inquest into his death, Chesterfield Coroners Court heard a witness statement from Clifford Veighey, who was riding behind Mr Strachey at the time of the accident. He said, "The group had stopped for a coffee in Edale at about 1pm before setting off again."
> He estimated the riders were going around 25 mph when they were heading down Edale Road with Mr Strachey in front of him on the road when "Greg appeared out of control before falling off and hitting his head". Mr Veighey added that he walked back up the road and found a pothole around where Mr Strachey came off his bike, however, there was no evidence given that the pothole caused the accident.
> Mr Strachey, who was wearing a helmet, was airlifted to hospital having suffered a catastrophic head injury.
> When he arrived at Sheffield's Northern General Hospital attempts were made to save him and he was rushed into emergency surgery but a report from the hospital told the inquest that Mr Strachey had suffered a massive bleed on the brain and his brain injury "was not survivable".

What's your "point"?

That the accident wouldn't have happened had he not been wearing a helmet?

That the outcome would have been less severe had he not been wearing a
helmet?

Are you resurrecting the (in)famous ukrc "magic cranial aura" theory
which holds that the head of the deceased person will not make impact
with the concrete unless its diameter is increased by the thickness of
the helmet material?

It can't be that you are simply commiserating with his family and
friends and sending your condolences because your contemptuous thread
title tells a completely different story, one of disdain for the
deceased's decision to protect himself.

> The accident happened on Sunday, March 6, 2022 and Mr Strachey passed away on Monday, March 7.
> Following his death a tribute from his family was posted on the Manchester Triathlon Club's Facebook page, it read: "Our beautiful son and Sarah’s amazing brother, Greg, tragically died on Monday morning after a cycling accident in the Peak District whilst with his friends from the Manchester Triathlon Cycling Club. Sunday afternoon he was airlifted to Sheffield Hospital. Unfortunately, due to a catastrophic head injury, he sadly passed away on Monday morning."
> Manchester Triathlon Club also posted its own tribute to their fellow member: "He was an amazing part of the club and will be sorely missed by everyone in the club and wider triathlon community.
> "He embodied everything you would want in a teammate and always turned up to training with a smile on his face and a positive outlook on life; even through horizontal rain on bike rides!
> "Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends for their sudden loss, and to all our club members who were with him on Sunday."
> Concluding the inquest, Assistant Coroner Mrs Susan Evans confirmed that Mr Strachey's death was as a result of an accident.
> A JustGiving page has been set up in tribute to Mr Strachey and has already more than doubled its initial £1,000 target, you can access the page by clicking here.
>
> https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/cyclist-died-after-crash-derbyshire-6827353#comments-wrapper

Re: Magic plastic hat failed

<bae2c7cb-b780-4572-9de9-5809f57fe997n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7157&group=uk.rec.cycling#7157

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 07:48:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 14:48 UTC

On Sunday, March 20, 2022 at 11:56:22 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

Maybe one of these would have helped?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kSNVKrktKUQ/ShMeZqy03oI/AAAAAAAADgA/EtMTMQSK2xs/s400/Motoring+Helmet+face.jpg

Re: Magic plastic hat failed (cyclist killed in single vehicle accident)

<j9p4apF2uu4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7160&group=uk.rec.cycling#7160

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Magic plastic hat failed (cyclist killed in single vehicle
accident)
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 16:50:33 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 16:50 UTC

> On Sunday, March 20, 2022 at 11:56:22 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

Only one layer of talking to yourself?

> Maybe one of these would have helped?
>
> http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kSNVKrktKUQ/ShMeZqy03oI/AAAAAAAADgA/EtMTMQSK2xs/s400/Motoring+Helmet+face.jpg

Would you be able to convince cyclists to wear them, though?

Re: Magic plastic hat failed

<2e4e72fb-32b4-454e-85c6-b4e64daed434n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7161&group=uk.rec.cycling#7161

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 10:01:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 17:01 UTC

QUOTE:
5 hrs ago

Worrying that he was wearing a helmet and still died of a head injury.

5 hrs ago

Plastic hats are made of the same stuff that coffee cups are made from. - SJM
4 hrs ago

Yes, I lost a close friend who was a member of the Chorlton Wheelers. On Long Hill near Buxton. He always wore a cycling helmet and had been cycling for 50 years. Those cycling helmets are rubbish compared with even the cheapest motorcycle helmets. My condolences to the family.

Re: Magic plastic hat failed

<j9pfe5F51n1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7162&group=uk.rec.cycling#7162

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 20:00:05 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 20:00 UTC

> QUOTE:
>
> Worrying that he was wearing a helmet and still died of a head injury.
>
> Plastic hats are made of the same stuff that coffee cups are made from. - SJM
>
> Yes, I lost a close friend who was a member of the Chorlton Wheelers. On Long Hill near Buxton. He always wore a cycling helmet and had been cycling for 50 years. Those cycling helmets are rubbish compared with even the cheapest motorcycle helmets. My condolences to the family.

Very obviously, that's an endorsement of cheap motorcycle helmets as
better protection for cyclists.

Re: Magic plastic hat failed

<acf11b74-4779-4147-96ab-b7b4aa6c4751n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7163&group=uk.rec.cycling#7163

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 13:10:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 20:10 UTC

On Sunday, March 20, 2022 at 11:56:22 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
2 hrs ago

That’s because motorcycle helmets are required by law and must meet certain standards whereas cycle helmets have very little scrutiny in terms of safety specifications.

The irony is that many of the big UK cycling organisations such as Cycling UK object to making the use helmets law and actively campaign against it, claiming that the wearing would reduce the number of people cycling by 30-40%. So whilst those who cycle and consider themselves to be the voice of British cycling don’t want the law to change why should the rest of us care if they have accidents.

> https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/cyclist-died-after-crash-derbyshire-6827353#comments-wrapper

Re: Magic plastic hat failed

<cd122b79-a195-4147-b230-eb8420b71424n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7164&group=uk.rec.cycling#7164

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 13:21:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 20:21 UTC

On Sunday, 20 March 2022 at 20:10:02 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, March 20, 2022 at 11:56:22 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> 2 hrs ago
>
> That’s because motorcycle helmets are required by law and must meet certain standards whereas cycle helmets have very little scrutiny in terms of safety specifications.
>
> The irony is that many of the big UK cycling organisations such as Cycling UK object to making the use helmets law and actively campaign against it, claiming that the wearing would reduce the number of people cycling by 30-40%. So whilst those who cycle and consider themselves to be the voice of British cycling don’t want the law to change why should the rest of us care if they have accidents.
>

> > https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/cyclist-died-after-crash-derbyshire-6827353#comments-wrapper

http://www.copenhagenize.com/2009/10/australian-helmet-science-for-motorists.html

Re: Magic plastic hat failed

<j9pqk2F73i1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7165&group=uk.rec.cycling#7165

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 23:10:59 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 23:10 UTC

> On Sunday, March 20, 2022 at 11:56:22 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> 2 hrs ago
>
> That’s because motorcycle helmets are required by law and must meet certain standards whereas cycle helmets have very little scrutiny in terms of safety specifications.
>
> The irony is that many of the big UK cycling organisations such as Cycling UK object to making the use helmets law and actively campaign against it, claiming that the wearing would reduce the number of people cycling by 30-40%. So whilst those who cycle and consider themselves to be the voice of British cycling don’t want the law to change why should the rest of us care if they have accidents.
>

>> https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/cyclist-died-after-crash-derbyshire-6827353#comments-wrapper

As one newbie fairy-cyclist poster here once inadvertently said, helmets
aren't "kewl" and "make you look like a tit".

I don't agree with him, but his POV was at least, er... "interesting"...

One suspects that it is more widely held among fairy-cyclists, though
there is a taboo about admitting it.

But that's alright. it isn't compulsory.

Re: Magic plastic hat failed

<j9pqnaF73i1U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7166&group=uk.rec.cycling#7166

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 23:12:43 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 23:12 UTC

On 20/03/2022 08:21 pm, Mike Collins wrote:

> On Sunday, 20 March 2022 at 20:10:02 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Sunday, March 20, 2022 at 11:56:22 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> That’s because motorcycle helmets are required by law and must meet certain standards whereas cycle helmets have very little scrutiny in terms of safety specifications.
>
>> The irony is that many of the big UK cycling organisations such as Cycling UK object to making the use helmets law and actively campaign against it, claiming that the wearing would reduce the number of people cycling by 30-40%. So whilst those who cycle and consider themselves to be the voice of British cycling don’t want the law to change why should the rest of us care if they have accidents.
>
>>> https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/cyclist-died-after-crash-derbyshire-6827353#comments-wrapper
>
> http://www.copenhagenize.com/2009/10/australian-helmet-science-for-motorists.html

It was revealed some years ago that (some, at least) surgeons involved
in organ replacement have a pet name for cyclists: "donors".

Re: Magic plastic hat failed

<t19g0l$9qa$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7169&group=uk.rec.cycling#7169

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 09:20:22 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 09:20 UTC

One doesn't hear of motorcycle helmets failing in this manner. The
current standards for cycle helmets may be inadequate.

<https://www.cycleplan.co.uk/cycle-savvy/what-are-the-cycle-helmet-safety-standards/>

Read more at the link below.

--
Spike

Re: Magic plastic hat failed

<t19gb9$9qa$4@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7171&group=uk.rec.cycling#7171

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 09:26:02 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 09:26 UTC

On 20/03/2022 17:01, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> QUOTE:
> 5 hrs ago

> Worrying that he was wearing a helmet and still died of a head injury.

> 5 hrs ago

> Plastic hats are made of the same stuff that coffee cups are made from. - SJM
> 4 hrs ago

> Yes, I lost a close friend who was a member of the Chorlton Wheelers. On Long Hill near Buxton. He always wore a cycling helmet and had been cycling for 50 years. Those cycling helmets are rubbish compared with even the cheapest motorcycle helmets. My condolences to the family.

That's the first time you've said something sensible on the matter.

--
Spike

Re: Magic plastic hat failed

<6d961002-790f-4315-a597-bf464c2c5e37n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7174&group=uk.rec.cycling#7174

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 04:13:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 11:13 UTC

On Sunday, March 20, 2022 at 11:56:22 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
4 hrs ago

I have the deepest condolences to the family of this chap. The roads in Derbyshire are horrendous on any form of two wheels, that said 25mph on a push bike on less than perfect tarmac is a accident waiting to happen in more ways than one. I am a HGV driver and I have seen a fair few cyclists swerve to avoid holes, bumps, grates etc in the verge of the road. This swerving sometimes and by any means not all the time is done without any lifesaver check whatsoever....I understand it's a split sec decision but please be more aware that heavy road users like myself simply cannot maneuver anything like as fast as a smaller road user and if we are on the approach to an overtake and this happens we have zero place to react to you. Again, I wish the best for this chaps family.
> https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/cyclist-died-after-crash-derbyshire-6827353#comments-wrapper

Re: Magic plastic hat failed

<j9ra53Ffm5tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7182&group=uk.rec.cycling#7182

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 12:42:13 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 12:42 UTC

> I have seen a fair few cyclists swerve to avoid holes, bumps, grates etc in the verge of the road.

> This swerving sometimes and by any means not all the time

> *is done without any lifesaver check whatsoever....*

AKA 'Lack of Situational Awareness'; can be part of a Deadly Cocktail.

It is not a recommended state of affairs for any road user.

--
Spike

Re: Magic plastic hat failed

<2290cd08-3ce5-468e-b33c-242768c0bfb0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7188&group=uk.rec.cycling#7188

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 07:00:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 14:00 UTC

On Monday, March 21, 2022 at 11:13:54 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
18 hrs ago

What this badly written article failed to highlight is that the Justgiving page that’s been setup in memory of this man is donating the money to the Derbyshire, Leicestershire & Rutland Air Ambulance. A truly great charity.

How can a so called journalist miss out such an important aspect of this story?

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Magic plastic hat failed