The disks are getting full; purge a file today.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: 'My car is not a leaning post' - debate rages over whether cyclists should have insurance

SubjectAuthor
* 'My car is not a leaning post' - debate rages over whether cyclistsswldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: 'My car is not a leaning post' - debate rages over whetherswldx...@gmail.com

1
'My car is not a leaning post' - debate rages over whether cyclists should have insurance

<42189f0f-0411-47da-8850-1f0c9edc18f1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7177&group=uk.rec.cycling#7177

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 04:28:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: 'My car is not a leaning post' - debate rages over whether cyclists
should have insurance
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 11:28 UTC

CoventryLive readers have been sharing their views on whether they feel cyclists should have to be insured to use the roads. More than 500 comments have already been left on the CoventryLive Facebook page amid a fierce debate on the issue.

Like most issues nowadays, opinion is split - with some saying they definitely must have it and others raising concerns about the increased bureaucracy which they believe the implementation of this rule would bring.

Cyclists are not legally required to get insurance, but there are policies available. Third-party liability is a legal must for drivers, and for some that means cyclists should have it too.

Read more: "Cov is the pits": Residents agree with poll ranking city one of the worst places to live in England

Reader Andrew Hilton said: "There are, according to official estimates, one million uninsured drivers on UK roads, who cause about 1,250 deaths and serious injuries every year.

"Registration plates and mandatory insurance have not solved that problem, despite the best efforts of technology and policing.

"Who the hell is going to police the same requirement for cyclists, who cause tens of serious injuries per year?"

Kendra Dunn said: "Yes, but only because they should be liable for damages caused when passing vehicles and if they cause an accident. My car is not a leaning post."

Darren Bien said: "Let's worry about getting all car drivers insured first!"

Debbie Williams commented: "Yes and pay road tax like anyone else. You cycle on the road, you pay road tax and have insurance - in case they cause an accident."

Yvonne Malone said: "Yes of course, to allow motorists to be compensated for the accidents cyclists are involved with."

Dave Collins added: "I am insured - to protect myself from drivers who unfortunately don’t concentrate with regards to cyclists."

British Cycling has made its position on the matter very clear.

On its website, it states: "No cyclist is legally obliged to have insurance to ride their bike and while we offer insurance through membership, we do not feel it should be compulsory for all cyclists to have insurance cover. Our mission is to transform Britain into a great cycling nation and research from nations like the Netherlands and Denmark shows that we can help to make our towns and cities safer by getting more people on bikes.
Join the conversation
Add to the comments below to share your thoughts
Read the 12 comments

"However, unfortunately incidents do happen, and they can vary a lot in terms of seriousness and which party is at fault. We know that the most important thing for our 160,000+ members, the majority of whom ride their bikes most days, is peace-of-mind liability cover and knowing they have the support of a first-class legal service, should the unfortunate happen."

The Mirror reports that in 2016, figures from the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (Rospa) showed there were 16,496 critical injuries related to cycling in the UK.

Yet in 2018, the Guardian journalist Peter Walker rejected the idea of insurance for cyclists.

He said: "Of the 1,800 or so people killed every year on the UK’s roads, between zero and two typically tend to be killed because they were hit by cyclists. It’s not because cyclists are uniquely virtuous, it’s just the very different impacts involved in being struck by a 100kg bike-and-rider combination travelling at 15mph, or a 1,500kg SUV doing 35mph."

The debate was raging then. It still is today.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/my-car-not-leaning-post-23447801

Re: 'My car is not a leaning post' - debate rages over whether cyclists should have insurance

<9f6cd30e-1dc5-45f7-9888-9d47691fb659n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7193&group=uk.rec.cycling#7193

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 07:14:45 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: 'My car is not a leaning post' - debate rages over whether
cyclists should have insurance
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 14:14 UTC

Peter Walker rejected the idea of insurance for cyclists.
QUOTE:

He said: "Of the 1,800 or so people killed every year on the UK’s roads, between zero and two typically tend to be killed because they were hit by cyclists. It’s not because cyclists are uniquely virtuous, it’s just the very different impacts involved in being struck by a 100kg bike-and-rider combination travelling at 15mph, or a 1,500kg SUV doing 35mph1

ENDS

((APPLAUSE))

BY GEORGE, HE'S GOT IT!

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: 'My car is not a leaning post' - debate rages over whether cyclists should have insurance