If you're right 90% of the time, why quibble about the remaining 3%?

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / More than 250 cyclists attend protest ride calling for safe cycle route

SubjectAuthor
* More than 250 cyclists attend protest ride calling for safe cycle routeswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: More than 250 fairy-cyclists attend protest ride calling for safeJNugent
|`* Re: More than 250 fairy-cyclists attend protest ride calling for safePeter Keller
| +- Re: More than 250 fairy-cyclists attend protest ride calling for safeJNugent
| `- Re: More than 250 fairy-cyclists attend protest ride calling for safeswldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: More than 250 cyclists attend protest ride calling for safe cycle routeswldx...@gmail.com

1
More than 250 cyclists attend protest ride calling for safe cycle route

<bd041ed7-4efc-4232-9044-c069a4eface6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7194&group=uk.rec.cycling#7194

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 07:16:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: More than 250 cyclists attend protest ride calling for safe cycle route
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 14:16 UTC

More than 250 cyclists took part in a protest ride along the A38 between Taunton and Wellington on Sunday, hoping to raise awareness of the need for a safe cycle route between the towns ahead of the upcoming Somerset Council elections in May.

A group of more than 120 starting in Wellington were joined by a smaller group from Taunton to form a mass protest peloton riding along the A38.

Around Wellington (link is external) reports the group included a diverse array of cyclists from very young children to senior citizens, as well as families, students from local schools, cycle club members, local councillors, community leaders and recreational riders.

The ride was organised by Citizens Somerset and was accompanied by police and marshals who directed the group to Sheppy's Cider Farm at Three Bridges for a rally hosted by event organisers from Taunton Mavericks and the citizens' alliance.

Representatives from the four main political parties contesting the upcoming local elections were invited to attend and asked to sign Citizens Somerset's 'Safe Cycling Pledge' calling on candidates to "promote cycling as a means of sustainable transport across the county".

It also asks candidates to agree to "support substantial investment in Somerset’s cycling infrastructure so that our county becomes a leader in sustainable transport as well as tackling climate change" and "prioritise the Wellington to Taunton cycle route along the A38 as a first step, aiming to start construction by 2025".

Jonathan Cox, Citizens UK's deputy director said: "The A38 between the two towns does not have a cycle path, and is too dangerous for many cyclists to use, which is why the protest will take over the road with a mass peloton for a brief period on Sunday afternoon to make the point."

Speaking to Greatest Hits Radio (link is external) at the event, co-organiser Chris Brossard explained: "What we're doing is bringing attention to the local politicians, particularly those taking part in the upcoming elections, to pledge to support the building of a proper cycle path between Taunton and Wellington.

"A proper wide one that is safe for children, safe for commuters."

Another attendee said: "I'm here today as a young father of two children. I've brought Florence here as she has recently learnt to ride her bike and I'd really like a safe cycle route for us to be able to use as a family."

https://road.cc/content/news/more-250-cyclists-attend-protest-ride-291243

Re: More than 250 fairy-cyclists attend protest ride calling for safe fairy-cycle route

<j9ri2tFh6drU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7200&group=uk.rec.cycling#7200

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: More than 250 fairy-cyclists attend protest ride calling for safe
fairy-cycle route
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 14:57:34 +0000
 by: JNugent - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 14:57 UTC

> More than 250 fairy-cyclists took part in a protest ride along the A38 between Taunton and Wellington on Sunday, hoping to raise awareness of the need for a safe fairy-cycle route between the towns ahead of the upcoming Somerset Council elections in May.
>
> A group of more than 120 starting in Wellington were joined by a smaller group from Taunton to form a mass protest fairy-peloton riding along the A38.
>
> Around Wellington (link is external) reports the group included a diverse array of fairy-cyclists from very young children to senior citizens, as well as families, students from local schools, fairy-cycle club members, local councillors, community leaders and recreational riders.
>
> The ride was organised by Citizens Somerset and was accompanied by police and marshals who directed the group to Sheppy's Cider Farm at Three Bridges for a rally hosted by event organisers from Taunton Mavericks and the citizens' alliance.
>
> Representatives from the four main political parties contesting the upcoming local elections were invited to attend and asked to sign Citizens Somerset's 'Safe Fairy-Cycling Pledge' calling on candidates to "promote fairy-cycling as a means of sustainable transport across the county".
>
> It also asks candidates to agree to "support substantial investment in Somerset’s fairy-cycling infrastructure so that our county becomes a leader in sustainable transport as well as tackling climate change" and "prioritise the Wellington to Taunton cycle route along the A38 as a first step, aiming to start construction by 2025".
>
> Jonathan Cox, Citizens UK's deputy director said: "The A38 between the two towns does not have a fairy-cycle path, and is too dangerous for many fairy-cyclists to use, which is why the protest will take over the road with a mass peloton for a brief period on Sunday afternoon to make the point."
>
> Speaking to Greatest Hits Radio (link is external) at the event, co-organiser Chris Brossard explained: "What we're doing is bringing attention to the local politicians, particularly those taking part in the upcoming elections, to pledge to support the building of a proper fairy-cycle path between Taunton and Wellington.
>
> "A proper wide one that is safe for children, safe for commuters."
>
> Another attendee said: "I'm here today as a young father of two children. I've brought Florence here as she has recently learnt to ride her bike and I'd really like a safe fairy-cycle route for us to be able to use as a family."
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/more-250-cyclists-attend-protest-ride-291243

The A38 is not the major route.

It is completely bypassed between Taunton and Wellington by the M5 motorway.

But here's an idea.

Why don't the allegedly large number of fairy-cyclists so concerned
about this start to raise a fund for a the construction and provision of
a brand new fairy-cycle-only route between Taunton and Wellington?

Estimating on the basis of known road-building costs (plus the cost of
getting the necessary Bill through Parliament for the compulsory
purchases, etc), there'd possibly be change out of a hundred million pounds.

That's chicken feed to fairy-cyclists, who never tire of telling the
rest of us that they are all "Considerably Richer Than Yow".

Re: More than 250 cyclists attend protest ride calling for safe cycle route

<5252f998-bf44-4bbc-93f9-f963eb12354bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7209&group=uk.rec.cycling#7209

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 10:02:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 17:02 UTC

Greatest Hits Radio South West
@GHRSouthWest
Today hundreds of cyclists joined a mass ride on the A38 from #Wellington and #Taunton to call for a cycle path between the two

The campaign led by @tauntonareacyc1
and @wellywheelers
aims to make it an issue in May's elections

Thread on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/GHRSouthWest/status/1505580098904281092?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1505580098904281092%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Froad.cc%2Fcontent%2Fnews%2Fmore-250-cyclists-attend-protest-ride-291243

Re: More than 250 fairy-cyclists attend protest ride calling for safe fairy-cycle route

<t1c5c0$vrg$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7235&group=uk.rec.cycling#7235

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
fairy-cycle route
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 22:37:04 +1300
 by: Peter Keller - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 09:37 UTC

On 22/03/22 03:57, JNugent wrote:
> [...]
>> be able to use as a family."
>>
>> https://road.cc/content/news/more-250-cyclists-attend-protest-ride-291243
>
> The A38 is not the major route.
>
> It is completely bypassed between Taunton and Wellington by the M5
> motorway.
>
> But here's an idea.
>
> Why don't the allegedly large number of fairy-cyclists so concerned
> about this start to raise a fund for a the construction and provision of
> a brand new fairy-cycle-only route between Taunton and Wellington?
>
> Estimating on the basis of known road-building costs (plus the cost of
> getting the necessary Bill through Parliament for the compulsory
> purchases, etc), there'd possibly be change out of a hundred million
> pounds.
>
> That's chicken feed to fairy-cyclists, who never tire of telling the
> rest of us that they are all "Considerably Richer Than Yow".

So if one is an impecunious fairy-bicyclist, one is excused from
attending the protest?

Re: More than 250 fairy-cyclists attend protest ride calling for safe fairy-cycle route

<j9tme4Ftko1U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7242&group=uk.rec.cycling#7242

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
fairy-cycle route
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 10:24:04 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 10:24 UTC

On 22/03/2022 09:37 am, Peter Keller wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> The A38 is not the major route.
>>
>> It is completely bypassed between Taunton and Wellington by the M5
>> motorway.
>>
>> But here's an idea.
>>
>> Why don't the allegedly large number of fairy-cyclists so concerned
>> about this start to raise a fund for a the construction and provision of
>> a brand new fairy-cycle-only route between Taunton and Wellington?
>>
>> Estimating on the basis of known road-building costs (plus the cost of
>> getting the necessary Bill through Parliament for the compulsory
>> purchases, etc), there'd possibly be change out of a hundred million
>> pounds.
>>
>> That's chicken feed to fairy-cyclists, who never tire of telling the
>> rest of us that they are all "Considerably Richer Than Yow".
>>
> So if one is an impecunious fairy-bicyclist, one is excused from

There's always the issue of intellectual honesty. Wanting something
expensive but wanting it paid for by others is intellectually dishonest.

What those fairy-cyclists are calling for is the main road between two
towns to be reserved as a fairy-cycling lane. It isn't on.

Re: More than 250 fairy-cyclists attend protest ride calling for safe fairy-cycle route

<161a306b-b03b-4a72-8f0d-d93accbbb1d1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7249&group=uk.rec.cycling#7249

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 04:04:47 -0700 (PDT)
fairy-cycle route
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 11:04 UTC

On Tuesday, March 22, 2022 at 9:37:06 AM UTC, Peter Keller wrote:

> So if one is an impecunious cyclist, one is excused from
> attending the protest?

As long as one has paid their council tax, I presume.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / More than 250 cyclists attend protest ride calling for safe cycle route