From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Hive TRVs
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 10:47:35 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:YfmwterGWO48fKpkAE9nXKAButg=
 by: Brian - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 10:47 UTC

I have a Hive system with a single room thermostat. The house is quite
large and we don’t use all the rooms, those we do use tend to be used in a
fairly predictable pattern.

While most radiators have preset TRVs and I turn down the ones in the spare
bedrooms only used when we have visitors etc, adjusting the others everyday
to ‘follow’ our daily routine is a step too far.

Looking at the Hive TRVs it SEEMS you can have a schedule for each TRV,
which can override the main thermostat and demand the boiler on if needed.
Can anyone confirm this is correct please- ie they have it working?

Also, what is the max distance between the TRV and the Hive hub (I assume
it is the Hive Hub, if not the controller).

Re: Hive TRVs

<thmhfq$3c0hm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72106&group=uk.d-i-y#72106

From: tricky.d...@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Hive TRVs
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 12:25:30 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:y4LxNSPX0jn7/3nkgqJc3WZEmfg=
 by: Tricky Dicky - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 12:25 UTC

Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
> I have a Hive system with a single room thermostat. The house is quite
> large and we don’t use all the rooms, those we do use tend to be used in a
> fairly predictable pattern.
>
> While most radiators have preset TRVs and I turn down the ones in the spare
> bedrooms only used when we have visitors etc, adjusting the others everyday
> to ‘follow’ our daily routine is a step too far.
>
> Looking at the Hive TRVs it SEEMS you can have a schedule for each TRV,
> which can override the main thermostat and demand the boiler on if needed.
> Can anyone confirm this is correct please- ie they have it working?
>
> Also, what is the max distance between the TRV and the Hive hub (I assume
> it is the Hive Hub, if not the controller).

The Hive TRVs as you say can demand heat and you can heat one room, several
rooms or all rooms and setting individual temperatures. The TRVs
communicate with the main thermostat not the hub directly. I have found
that the TRVs override the thermostat settings despite being advised not to
have a TRV in the same room as the Hive thermostat we do have that
arrangement in our lounge and I find that the TRV wins out all the time.
You can adjust the TRVs manually, or with the app but the most convenient
method is to use Alexa, simply tell her which TRVs and what temperatures
you require. If your thermostat is already communicating with the hub now
fitting the TRVs will not affect that.

Richard

Re: Hive TRVs

<thmncf$3d2t4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72124&group=uk.d-i-y#72124

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 14:06:07 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:PVw5U74G56CuStxkh25rVNVC7Wg=
 by: Brian - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 14:06 UTC

Tricky Dicky <tricky.dicky@sky.com> wrote:
> Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
>> I have a Hive system with a single room thermostat. The house is quite
>> large and we don’t use all the rooms, those we do use tend to be used in a
>> fairly predictable pattern.
>>
>> While most radiators have preset TRVs and I turn down the ones in the spare
>> bedrooms only used when we have visitors etc, adjusting the others everyday
>> to ‘follow’ our daily routine is a step too far.
>>
>> Looking at the Hive TRVs it SEEMS you can have a schedule for each TRV,
>> which can override the main thermostat and demand the boiler on if needed.
>> Can anyone confirm this is correct please- ie they have it working?
>>
>> Also, what is the max distance between the TRV and the Hive hub (I assume
>> it is the Hive Hub, if not the controller).
>>

> The Hive TRVs as you say can demand heat and you can heat one room, several
> rooms or all rooms and setting individual temperatures. The TRVs
> communicate with the main thermostat not the hub directly. I have found
> that the TRVs override the thermostat settings despite being advised not to
> have a TRV in the same room as the Hive thermostat we do have that
> arrangement in our lounge and I find that the TRV wins out all the time.
> You can adjust the TRVs manually, or with the app but the most convenient
> method is to use Alexa, simply tell her which TRVs and what temperatures
> you require. If your thermostat is already communicating with the hub now
> fitting the TRVs will not affect that.
>
> Richard

Thank you.

I only plan to add Hive TRV heads in some rooms where I have existing TRVs,
which doesn’t include where the existing stat is.

What about distance? The geometry of our house is a bit unusual. The main
thermostat is central and the furthest TRV is probably 10m away.

Re: Hive TRVs

<thmuq4$3dog8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72147&group=uk.d-i-y#72147

From: tricky.d...@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 16:12:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:hAoDa8JJcRXPV4sYfVyBFIafHQc=
 by: Tricky Dicky - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 16:12 UTC

Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
> Tricky Dicky <tricky.dicky@sky.com> wrote:
>> Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
>>> I have a Hive system with a single room thermostat. The house is quite
>>> large and we don’t use all the rooms, those we do use tend to be used in a
>>> fairly predictable pattern.
>>>
>>> While most radiators have preset TRVs and I turn down the ones in the spare
>>> bedrooms only used when we have visitors etc, adjusting the others everyday
>>> to ‘follow’ our daily routine is a step too far.
>>>
>>> Looking at the Hive TRVs it SEEMS you can have a schedule for each TRV,
>>> which can override the main thermostat and demand the boiler on if needed.
>>> Can anyone confirm this is correct please- ie they have it working?
>>>
>>> Also, what is the max distance between the TRV and the Hive hub (I assume
>>> it is the Hive Hub, if not the controller).
>>>

>> The Hive TRVs as you say can demand heat and you can heat one room, several
>> rooms or all rooms and setting individual temperatures. The TRVs
>> communicate with the main thermostat not the hub directly. I have found
>> that the TRVs override the thermostat settings despite being advised not to
>> have a TRV in the same room as the Hive thermostat we do have that
>> arrangement in our lounge and I find that the TRV wins out all the time.
>> You can adjust the TRVs manually, or with the app but the most convenient
>> method is to use Alexa, simply tell her which TRVs and what temperatures
>> you require. If your thermostat is already communicating with the hub now
>> fitting the TRVs will not affect that.
>>
>> Richard
>>

> Thank you.
>
> I only plan to add Hive TRV heads in some rooms where I have existing TRVs,
> which doesn’t include where the existing stat is.
>
> What about distance? The geometry of our house is a bit unusual. The main
> thermostat is central and the furthest TRV is probably 10m away.

I cannot say what the maximum distance would be, our house is a bungalow
and the furthest TRV is about 6m away and behind two breeze block walls and
so far I have had no problems with communication with the main thermostat.

Richard

Re: Hive TRVs

<thnn59$3fod5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72225&group=uk.d-i-y#72225

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 23:08:25 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:FiW5EC8uhIseQq28WcIe8b8VnJw=
 by: Brian - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 23:08 UTC

Tricky Dicky <tricky.dicky@sky.com> wrote:
> Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
>> Tricky Dicky <tricky.dicky@sky.com> wrote:

>>> The Hive TRVs as you say can demand heat and you can heat one room, several
>>> rooms or all rooms and setting individual temperatures. The TRVs
>>> communicate with the main thermostat not the hub directly. I have found
>>> that the TRVs override the thermostat settings despite being advised not to
>>> have a TRV in the same room as the Hive thermostat we do have that
>>> arrangement in our lounge and I find that the TRV wins out all the time.
>>> You can adjust the TRVs manually, or with the app but the most convenient
>>> method is to use Alexa, simply tell her which TRVs and what temperatures
>>> you require. If your thermostat is already communicating with the hub now
>>> fitting the TRVs will not affect that.
>>>
>>> Richard
>>>

>> Thank you.
>>
>> I only plan to add Hive TRV heads in some rooms where I have existing TRVs,
>> which doesn’t include where the existing stat is.
>>
>> What about distance? The geometry of our house is a bit unusual. The main
>> thermostat is central and the furthest TRV is probably 10m away.
>>

> I cannot say what the maximum distance would be, our house is a bungalow
> and the furthest TRV is about 6m away and behind two breeze block walls and
> so far I have had no problems with communication with the main thermostat.
>
> Richard

Thank you.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Hive TRVs