System checkpoint complete.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Snake Pass freedom cyclists hit back at 'organised gang' slur

SubjectAuthor
* Snake Pass freedom cyclists hit back at 'organised gang' slurswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Snake Pass freedom fairy-cyclists hit back at 'organised gang'JNugent
|`- Re: Snake Pass freedom fairy-cyclists hit back at 'organised gang'Spike
+* Re: Snake Pass freedom cyclists hit back at 'organised gang' slurSpike
|`- Re: Snake Pass freedom fairy-cyclists hit back at 'organised gang'JNugent
`- Re: Snake Pass freedom cyclists hit back at 'organised gang' slurswldx...@gmail.com

1
Snake Pass freedom cyclists hit back at 'organised gang' slur

<02d43b3f-eb7f-4aa9-9a97-13296731d914n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7226&group=uk.rec.cycling#7226

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 13:42:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Snake Pass freedom cyclists hit back at 'organised gang' slur
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 20:42 UTC

Snake Pass cyclists campaigning for the road to be permanently closed to cars have hit back at being called 'gangs'.

Derbyshire Council closed the A57 Snake Pass between Sheffield and Manchester to drivers after a series of landslips. The authority then shut it completely to cyclists and walkers, sparking outrage.

In response, cyclists and walkers arranged a "mass trespass", where they intended to defy Derbyshire Council's closure of the road. The campaign action was widely reported in the press and sparked wide-ranging debates on social media.

Among the high-profile coverage, was the discussion on The Jeremy Vine Show on BBC 2 on Thursday March 17. During the radio programme, Harry Gray, who organised the trespass was interviewed by Jeremy Vine.

He was joined by former Barnet councillor Brian Coleman, who referred to cyclists as "organsied gangs". Jeremy Vine objected to the description of cyclists as gangs, pointing out the word 'gangs' was "pejorative" and implied cyclists were up to no good.

Since then, cyclists have complained Mr Coleman's description points to a wider issue of aggression against cyclists. On Twitter, cyclists have complained about their trespass being identified as a protest.

Ian Pennington wrote: "I suggested citizens, rather than protestors, but the hack clearly ignored that".

Harry, the organiser, told Yorkshire Live the defiance was carefully named as a trespass. He said: "We self identified the ride as a trespass, people who know the local area well will be understand the tongue and cheek reference to the famous Kinder Scout trespass. People who don't maybe shouldn't be given a platform to speak on the issue.

"It started as a protest but really it's about each individual's love for the outdoors and cycling, so more of a celebration. I'd describe it tongue and cheek as a trespass, as I said before. But really it was just a mass ride and celebration."

Harry believes the debate feeds into the bigger issue of the "culture war against cyclists" in the UK, which has led to aggression against cyclists in the country. He said: "There has been a coordinated campaign for years from certain media outlets to create a culture war against cyclists."

Harry says the scale of the problem shocked him when he cycled outside of the UK: "I didn't realise how bad it has become until I cycled in Cyprus this winter. I didn't have any issues there with drivers.

"When I came back, I was shouted at by a driver for just cycling down the road safely. It's a really big issue. We are all just people trying to get about at the end of the day."

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/snake-pass-freedom-cyclists-hit-23453938

Re: Snake Pass freedom fairy-cyclists hit back at 'organised gang' slur

<j9sltnFns5rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7228&group=uk.rec.cycling#7228

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Snake Pass freedom fairy-cyclists hit back at 'organised gang'
slur
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 01:09:11 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 01:09 UTC

> Snake Pass fairy-cyclists campaigning for the road to be permanently closed to cars have hit back at being called 'gangs'.

But they ARE a gang, and a nasty one at that.

> Derbyshire Council closed the A57 Snake Pass between Sheffield and Manchester to drivers after a series of landslips. The authority then shut it completely to fairy-cyclists and walkers, sparking outrage.
> In response, fairy-cyclists and walkers arranged a "mass trespass", where they intended to defy Derbyshire Council's closure of the road. The campaign action was widely reported in the press and sparked wide-ranging debates on social media.
> Among the high-profile coverage, was the discussion on The Jeremy Vine Show on BBC 2 on Thursday March 17. During the radio programme, Harry Gray, who organised the trespass was interviewed by Jeremy Vine.
> He was joined by former Barnet councillor Brian Coleman, who referred to fairy-cyclists as "organsied gangs". Jeremy Vine objected to the description of fairy-cyclists as gangs, pointing out the word 'gangs' was "pejorative" and implied cyclists were up to no good.

But they ARE up to no good.

What good are they up to, in calling for the Liverpool to Lincoln Trunk
Road to be obstructed?

> Since then, fairy-cyclists have complained Mr Coleman's description points to a wider issue of aggression against fairy-cyclists. On Twitter, cyclists have complained about their trespass being identified as a protest.

What difference does that make? Fairy-cyclists are scofflaw chavs. We
all know that. What difference does it make whether their illegal
behaviour is described as a protest or a trespass? It doesn't make the
behaviout legal or stop it from being anti-social.

> Ian Pennington wrote: "I suggested citizens, rather than protestors, but the hack clearly ignored that".

Perhaps not calling a professional a "hack" would be a better way to
proceed when your "point" is that you don't like the words he uses to
describe you?

> Harry, the organiser, told Yorkshire Live the defiance was carefully named as a trespass. He said: "We self identified the ride as a trespass, people who know the local area well will be understand the tongue and cheek reference to the famous Kinder Scout trespass. People who don't maybe shouldn't be given a platform to speak on the issue.

Oh, bad luck. There's someone else who will not do as you instruct him.
What IS the world coming to, eh?

> "It started as a protest but really it's about each individual's love for the outdoors and fairy-cycling, so more of a celebration. I'd describe it tongue and cheek as a trespass, as I said before. But really it was just a mass fairy-ride and celebration."
> Harry believes the debate feeds into the bigger issue of the "culture war against fairy-cyclists" in the UK, which has led to aggression against fairy-cyclists in the country. He said: "There has been a coordinated campaign for years from certain media outlets to create a culture war against fairy-cyclists."
> Harry says the scale of the problem shocked him when he fairy-cycled outside of the UK: "I didn't realise how bad it has become until I fairy-cycled in Cyprus this winter. I didn't have any issues there with drivers.
> "When I came back, I was shouted at by a driver for just cycling down the road safely. It's a really big issue. We are all just people trying to get about at the end of the day."

N O - O N E C A R E S what you "think".

Start obeying the law, stop barking out orders like the Fascists you
people really are and perhaps other people might pay you and your
"thoughts" some heed.

> https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/snake-pass-freedom-cyclists-hit-23453938

Re: Snake Pass freedom cyclists hit back at 'organised gang' slur

<j9tkefFtb9rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7238&group=uk.rec.cycling#7238

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 09:50:08 +0000
 by: Spike - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 09:50 UTC

On 21/03/2022 20:42, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Harry believes the debate feeds into the bigger issue of the "culture war against cyclists" in the UK, which has led to aggression against cyclists in the country. He said: "There has been a coordinated campaign for years from certain media outlets to create a culture war against cyclists."

Perhaps fuelled by the culture war of Cyclists versus Everyone Else.

--
Spike

Re: Snake Pass freedom fairy-cyclists hit back at 'organised gang' slur

<j9tkkbFtcuaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7239&group=uk.rec.cycling#7239

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
slur
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 09:53:16 +0000
 by: Spike - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 09:53 UTC

On 22/03/2022 01:09, JNugent wrote:
> On 21/03/2022 08:42 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> Ian Pennington wrote: "I suggested citizens, rather than protestors, but the hack clearly ignored that".

> Perhaps not calling a professional a "hack" would be a better way to
> proceed when your "point" is that you don't like the words he uses to
> describe you?

Oh, well said!

It's the Cyclists versus Everyone Else thing again.

>> https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/snake-pass-freedom-cyclists-hit-23453938

--
Spike

Re: Snake Pass freedom fairy-cyclists hit back at 'organised gang' slur

<j9tm6tFtko1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7240&group=uk.rec.cycling#7240

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
slur
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 10:20:13 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 10:20 UTC

On 22/03/2022 09:50 am, Spike wrote:

> On 21/03/2022 20:42, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Harry believes the debate feeds into the bigger issue of the "culture war against fairy-cyclists" in the UK, which has led to aggression against fairy-cyclists in the country. He said: "There has been a coordinated campaign for years from certain media outlets to create a culture war against fairy-cyclists."
>
> Perhaps fuelled by the culture war of Fairy-Cyclists versus Everyone Else.

....not to mention the very real war of violent aggression being fought
by fairy-cyclists against all other classes of road user.

Re: Snake Pass freedom cyclists hit back at 'organised gang' slur

<d6be6149-00ef-412c-a7a2-8315aae8584an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7248&group=uk.rec.cycling#7248

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 04:01:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 11:01 UTC

On Monday, March 21, 2022 at 8:42:14 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
16 hrs ago

I think it should be shared, cyclists can have it Sunday mornings Tuesday afternoons and all day Thursday . Cars and lories the rest of the midweek and after dark all days .Motor bikes Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday .

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Snake Pass freedom cyclists hit back at 'organised gang' slur